This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike talk about "iPhone 8" release dates, and the possibility of a 4K Apple TV. Also, Victor interviews Gleb Budman, CEO of the popular backup service, Backblaze.com.
AppleInsider editors Mike Wuerthele and Victor Marks discuss:
- Deals! save $300 on 12 inch Macbooks, 27" iMacs and 13" TouchBar Macbook Pro - link below
- The latest tvOS beta hints at a 4K Apple TV. What's the landscape even like for 4K and competing devices?
- Amazon and Roku's players are up year over year. Chromecast is losing ground. Victor thinks the AppleTV is hurt by the $50 to $100 premium over the cost of other devices.
- A video purports to show a calibration machine with TouchID embedded in the Apple logo on the back. Mike is skeptical of this.
- A carrier-sourced report claims September 12 as the date the announcement of 'iPhone 8' will be made. Mike pulls out the calendar to talk about what dates have been used in years' past. He's skeptical of this, too. Victor is less skeptical, rating this one as "possible."
- Rumor: the 'iPhone 8' will come with 64, 256, and 512GB of storage, 3GB RAM. 512 seems like a stretch, but if it's the very expensive device we've been getting prepared for, it fits.
- More talk about the possibility of low production in this fourth quarter of the year.
- Victor's interview with Gleb Budman of Backblaze. Backups are hard. We talk about how they can be made easier, what costs are like, how everyone has to lose data to realize they need it, and pet rocks.
- Victor and Mike disagree about Apple's work in the automotive space, while Apple is preparing a driverless employee shuttle.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Deals: 12" MacBooks for $999 ($300 off); 27" iMac 5K for $1,199; $300 off 13" Touch Bars; AirPods in stock w/ free 2-day shipping
- Latest tvOS 11 beta points to HDR-equipped 'J105a' model for Apple TV
- Apple TV losing market share to streaming set-top box rivals Roku, Amazon
- Video: Calibration machine video allegedly shows Touch ID embedded into 'iPhone 8' Apple logo
- Carrier-sourced rumor suggests 'iPhone 8' launch event will take place on September 12
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' to come with 64, 256 or 512GB of storage, 3GB of RAM - report
- Minus Touch ID, Apple's 'iPhone 8' may enter mass production in 'third week of September'
- Gleb Budman, CEO of Backblaze.com gives us time to talk about the different types of backups, backup services and generally be entertaining. It was fun to get to talk to him.
- Self-driving campus shuttle to rise from ashes of Apple's 'Project Titan,' report says
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mike_wuerthele and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.