This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the "iPhone 8" in advance of Apple's Sept. 12 event, including what it means to have a phone without a home button, and much more.
AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- Killer deals! Save up to $250 off a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
- It's happening! Sept. 12 is the Apple event, held at the Steve Jobs Theater in the newly constructed Apple Park.
- Neil has commentary on the future of the Home button.
- Victor and Neil talk about what changes in iOS when you replace the Home button with gestures.
- Apple is said to not be hiding the notch on new iPhones. We talk through the choices that had to be made to get to this position.
- We talk about smart fabric and the possibility of smart watch straps for Apple Watch in the future.
- "Project Titan" news: 17 people have left Apple to join Zoox, a self-driving startup.
- Neil went to a demo of Propel's Star Wars drones... equipped with lasers!
- 'iPhone 9' rumors: Apple already working on OLED for 2018 phones.
- Apple updated the HIG for ARKit, and invited press and developers to Cupertino to show off examples of ARKit in use. As you might expect, IKEA is all over this.
- Apple is having to fight the movie studios over pricing on 4K content for iTunes.
- The Amazon Instant Video app for Apple TV? May not be ready as soon as we hoped.
- TIPS! Neil tells us about iOS 11 offloading infrequently used apps to the cloud while keeping an app's Data & Documents stored locally on the phone. As long as the app is still in the App Store, it can restore just like it was before it offloaded to the cloud.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Check this out: First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $70 and $250 on every new Mid 2017 MacBook Pro, including Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. In addition to the promo code and instant cash savings, sales tax will not be collected on orders shipped outside NY and NJ. Killer Deals: Save $70 to $250 instantly on Apple's Mid 2017 MacBook Pros, plus no tax in 48 states
- Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'
- Apple said to unveil 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone 7s' and more at Sept. 12 event
- No, the iPhone home button is not dead (yet)
- 'iPhone 8' software bar expected to replace Apple's iconic home button with gesture controls
- Apple reportedly choosing not to hide sensor 'notch' on 'iPhone 8's' OLED display
- Future Apple Watch straps might feature functional buttons, sense user touch
- Squad of Apple car staffers jump ship to self-driving startup Zoox
- First look: Propel's limited edition, iPhone-connected Star Wars battle drones
- Rumor: Apple in early development of 5.85- & 6.46-inch OLED iPhones for 2018
- Apple invites developers, media to Cupertino HQ to showcase ARKit apps
- Apple updates ARKit resources for developers building augmented reality apps
- Apple fighting movie studios to keep 4K films priced at $20 on iTunes
- Amazon Prime Video Apple TV app may not be ready for September launch
- Watch: Free up iPhone and iPad storage with Offloading Unused Apps in iOS 11
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at email@example.com.