This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor talks about the iPhone battery debacle, supply chain orders for iPhone X, and has an interview with synthesizer musician Suzanne Ciani.
AppleInsider editor Victor Marks discusses:
- Deals: Adorama this week has Apple's Late 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray (part # MLH12LL/A) for $1,299.00 with $500 off coupon code APINSIDER. This is the absolute lowest entry price into a Touch Bar MacBook Pro with other retailers selling the same system for $300 more.
- Apple rumored to cut orders on iPhone X. Conversely, Rosenblatt Securities thinks this is wrong, iPhone 8 / 8 Plus orders are being cut, iPhone X is adding sales in China.
- Amazon Alexa tops the App Store charts in the US. Victor relates what it's like to set up Amazon Echo Dot outside the US, and how a $29 dollar speaker competes with the concept of a $350 HomePod.
- Apple to release the source code of the Lisa operating system and launch applications to the Computer History Museum. This is one that matters for archival and educational purposes.
- Apple's battery nightmare. Apple has issued a note calling it a 'misunderstanding', reducing price for replacement to $29, and promising to update the OS to let users know their battery status. Victor isn't at all sure this solves the experience problem of being confronted with a warning that your battery is bad immediately after an OS update.
- Qualcomm, Apple, and Apple's exploration into using MediaTek's baseband radios.
- Mike's Pixelmator Pro review, now with more Machine Learning
- Apple's plans for dividends, stock buybacks, and repatriation.
- Suzanne Ciani, one of the best synthesizer artists in the world, talks about her experiences with computers in music, Mac, iPad, and more.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Adorama this week has Apple's Late 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray (part # MLH12LL/A) for $1,299.00 with $500 off coupon code APINSIDER. This is the absolute lowest entry price into a Touch Bar MacBook Pro with other retailers selling the same system for $300 more, according to our 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar Price Guide. What's more, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ, saving many shoppers another $100 on average. Expedited shipping is also free to the lower 48 for fast delivery. To compare this deal with discounts on 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pro models, shoppers would need to spend $350 more to upgrade to Apple's standard 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
This deal, which is valid while supplies last, is available only at AppleInsider using the APINSIDER promo code.
- Supply chain scuttlebutt stokes fears that Apple's $999 iPhone X price is too high
- Rosenblatt Securities disputes iPhone X order cut rumors, says no changes in Apple's plans
- Advanced TrueDepth camera, Face ID "major drivers" of iPhone X user satisfaction
- Apple tops device activations during holidays, iPhone X handily beating iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
- Computer History Museum will host Apple Lisa source code following review
- Apple's non-invasive glucose reader for Apple Watch may be 'years away'
- As Apple's HomePod misses Christmas, Amazon Alexa tops App Store charts for first time
- Home security camera company Blink bought out by Amazon
- Why Apple's Siri needs to become an 'ambient' ecosystem to compete against Amazon & Google
- As Qualcomm dispute drags on, Apple said to tap MediaTek for additional 2018 iPhone modem capacity
- Hands On: New Pixelmator Pro 1.0.5 brings Machine Learning to image editing
- Third iPhone battery lawsuit says Apple used slowdowns to avoid fixing defects
- Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown controversy, will reduce out-of-warranty battery replacement to $29
- Suzanne Ciani's Wikipedia bio
Follow our host on Twitter: @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.