This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Mike and a special guest discuss the three-pronged attack against modern CPUs, continues the iPhone battery debacle debate, delves into the $16 billion Spotify copyright lawsuit, and talks about the iMac Pro.
Over the course of an hour, AppleInsider editor Mike Wuerthele and special guest Charles Martin discusses:
- As expected, Intel, and ARM's CPU flaw debacle leads the show. Both Mike and Charles expect that this will be a long-term problem, with no good solution for older hardware.
- It turns out that Apple does have architects that understand Chicago winters, but perhaps not proper software settings to engage a fancy roof heating system.
- Spotify might be in deep trouble, with a management company seeking $1.6 billion to right past wrongs.
- Apple's battery saga appears to be winding down a bit, with the early start of $29 replacements for the iPhone 6 and newer -- and a discussion on how the batteries work.
- ... and if you want a battery regardless of how the diagnostics go, Apple will replace it anyway! Just be sure to make an appointment.
- The iMac Pro is a gorgeous machine, with performance to boot. Mike talks about his brief hands on with a unit in an undisclosed Washington DC location.
- Like winter, CES is coming. Prepare yourself.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Adorama this week has Apple's Late 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray (part # MLH12LL/A) for $1,299.00 with $500 off coupon code APINSIDER. This is the absolute lowest entry price into a Touch Bar MacBook Pro with other retailers selling the same system for $300 more, according to our 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar Price Guide. What's more, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ, saving many shoppers another $100 on average. Expedited shipping is also free to the lower 48 for fast delivery. To compare this deal with discounts on 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pro models, shoppers would need to spend $350 more to upgrade to Apple's standard 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
This deal, which is valid while supplies last, is available only at AppleInsider using the APINSIDER promo code.
- Intel chip kernel flaw requires OS-level fix that could impact macOS performance, report says
- Apple has already partially implemented fix in macOS for 'KPTI' Intel CPU security flaw
- Intel claims CPU security flaw not unique to its chips, implies ARM and AMD chips could be affected
- Spotify slapped with $1.6B copyright lawsuit over songs by The Doors, Tom Petty, others
- Apple says Chicago store's snow problems are result of software issue
- How iPhone batteries work, and how Apple manages performance over time
- Apple not requiring failed iPhone battery diagnostic test before $29 replacement
- Review: Apple's powerhouse iMac Pro wows with stellar performance and design
- Extreme OLED test finds Apple's iPhone X takes much longer to 'burn in' images than Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Follow our host on Twitter: @mike_wuerthele.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.