This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Neil talk about HomeKit, HomePod, and drones. In addition, Matt Hines of iZotope joins to talk about audio digital signal processing.
AppleInsider editor Victor Marks and Neil Hughes discuss:
- Deals: B&H Photo this week is offering shoppers the lowest price available from an Apple authorized reseller on the Late 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Radeon 450) in Space Gray. Now $1,799.00 , this offer is $600 off MSRP, beating other Apple authorized resellers by at least $170
- HomePod preoders are (about to) open! Are you getting one? Neil is.
- What's the relationship between HomePod and HomeKit?
- The thing everyone's talking about while Apple says it's irrelevant: How a HomePod stacks up against Alexa and Google Assistant devices, even the more expensive ones.
- FLAC audio for QuickTime Player and HomePod. This feels like something unusual. Almost as if Apple acknowledges that audiophiles like lossless formats like FLAC.
- Apple increases the self-driving fleet to a total of 27 vehicles.
- Victor mentions Anker's Roav Viva product and the Garmin Speak and Speak Plus products, which put Alexa in the car for navigation.
- Neil's experience at the DJI Mavic Air product launch.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- B&H Photo this week is offering shoppers the lowest price available from an Apple authorized reseller on the Late 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Radeon 450) in Space Gray. Now $1,799.00, this offer is $600 off MSRP, beating other Apple authorized resellers by at least $170, according to the AI Price Guide. What's more, each MacBook Pro qualifies for free expedited shipping to the lower 48 for fast delivery to your doorstep within 1 to 3 business days. And since B&H will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ, many shoppers outside those two states can save another $140 on average.
- Tim Cook says hardware, software integration puts HomePod ahead of competition
- HomePod: Everything you need to know about Apple's smart speaker
- Apple's latest iTunes release includes HomePod support
- HomePod hands on account finds sound superior to competitors, data only read to main user
- Sonos fires back at Apple's HomePod by offering a pair of One speakers for $349
- HomePod, QuickTime Player now support FLAC audio files, iTunes still doesn't
- Siri now actively used on more than 500M devices, up from 375M in June
- Reminder: HomePod can replace an Apple TV or iPad as a HomeKit hub
- Apple enables basic AirPlay 2 functionality in iOS 11.3, tvOS 11.3 betas
- Apple now has 27 self-driving Lexus cars on the road in California
- Video: See DJI's iOS-connected, foldable Mavic Air drone in action
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @thisisneil.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.