As can be expected from a major product launch, Apple Watch preorders and first weekend sales caused a spike in wait times for customers trying to reach Apple's service centers.
Monday, April 27, 2015
During Apple's second quarter 2015 earnings conference call on Monday, CEO Tim Cook said that Apple Watch customers now have access to more than 3,500 apps designed specifically for the new device.
The launch of HBO Now on Apple devices has been a big hit for both companies, and could hint at a major role for Apple in the future of cable cutting, CEO Tim Cook said on Monday.
During the company's quarterly earnings call on Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook slammed third-party firms that routinely provide estimated bill of materials breakdowns for new Apple products, saying they are usually far off base.
Apple is targeting late June for an sales expansion that would make Apple Watch available in more countries, conditional on supply, CEO Tim Cook said on Monday during the company's second quarter results call.
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday revealed about 20 percent of active iPhone users have upgraded to the company's latest iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus hardware, leaving room for growth.
During Apple's quarterly conference call for the second quarter of 2015, CEO Tim Cook announced big box electronics store Best Buy is now accepting Apple Pay through its app and will roll out in-store support later this year.
It was yet another record breaking quarter for Apple in March, driven by growth of both the iPhone and Mac. Following the announcement executives from the company participated in a conference call with analysts and the media, and notes of interest follow.
Apple on Monday announced a significant expansion of its stock buyback and dividend program that will see the initiative grow to $140 billion from $90 billion, including an 11-percent bump in the quarterly dividend.
Apple on Monday reported yet another record breaking quarter, selling more than 60 million iPhones in the three-month period ending in March, a significant 40 percent year over year increase.
The best screen image quality can actually be found on Apple's entry-level Apple Watch Sport, as the costlier stainless steel and Edition versions feature sapphire covers that degrade image quality with higher reflectance, a display expert claims.
Only about 22 percent — or 376,000 — of U.S. Apple Watch preorders actually shipped between Friday and Sunday during the device's launch weekend, according to estimates produced by research firm Slice Intelligence.
Apple on Monday released the second beta version of OS X 10.10.4, the upcoming refresh of its flagship desktop operating system, to both registered developers and consumers enrolled in the company's public beta program.
Exclusive NBC Sports content, including the NHL playoffs and this week's running of the Kentucky Derby, is now available on the Apple TV with a new dedicated channel.
Apple on Monday started seeding a second iOS 8.4 beta to developers, bringing more refinements to the company's future update for iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
Brean Capital began coverage of Apple stock on Monday, calling for a $160 price target, and for revenue to beat Wall Street consensus for the next three years, driven by higher-than-expected iPhone sales.
Deals: $144 off 12" MacBooks with AppleCare; 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for $525; 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409; more...
Exclusive: This week AI readers can: save $144 on 12" MacBook with AppleCare pre-orders, grab a 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for under $500, pick up a 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409, secure a 13" MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage for $1,249 and get the lowest price anywhere on all current 2015 MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons.
Monday, April 27, 2015
Apple is once again expected to have set a new quarterly record in March when it announces earnings this afternoon, with investors on average expecting blockbuster iPhone sales to drive about $56 billion in revenue.
Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center updated its electronic health records system over the weekend to support data from Apple's HealthKit platform, the hospital's chief information officer has revealed.
The last of America's four major credit card networks is set to join Apple Pay, as Discover announced Monday that it has struck a deal with Apple to allow its cardmembers access to the iOS-based mobile payments service.
In the aftermath of a series of earthquakes which have left more than 3,000 dead in Nepal, Apple has again begun soliciting donations for the American Red Cross through the iTunes Store.
Sunday, April 26, 2015
Apple may be intentionally slowing the release of updates to Tidal's iOS app in an attempt to weaken the music service ahead of an impending relaunch of Beats Music, a report said on Saturday.
EditorialEmbracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer
In writing our review for Apple's impressive new 12-inch MacBook, the reality of using the ultraportable notebook didn't fully set in until I realized I couldn't actually finish the publication of said review without turning to my MacBook Pro.
Saturday, April 25, 2015
After a gangbusters fiscal quarter one, Apple could see moderate gains highlighted by strong performances from iPhone and Mac over the three-month period ending March, according to noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Apple Watch comes with a number of watch face options — from digital themes to analog lookalikes and beyond — many of which can be further customized with sub-features called complications.
Apple launched its first wearable with an App Store filled with more than 3,000 third-party titles, a figure expected to grow exponentially in the months ahead. AppleInsider offers a look at some of the first offerings.
Friday, April 24, 2015
British Vogue on Friday posted full video footage of a recent interview that had editor Suzy Menkes talking with Apple design gurus Jony Ive and Marc Newson about Apple Watch and its place in the luxury market.
With Apple Watch, Apple was presented an opportunity to reimagine and improve upon the ways in which a user interacts with ultra-small format devices. It delivered in spades with Force Touch, haptic feedback, a custom UI and a keystone tactile technology called the Digital Crown.
In tandem with Friday's launch of the Apple Watch, Apple updated its website with details on the battery life of the device, and simultaneously updated its online store to make shopping for Watch bands easier to navigate.
Following Friday's Apple Watch teardown, the experts at Chipworks posted a close-up look at the parts that make it tick, including X-ray imagery of Apple's new S1 system-on-chip design.
With newly-delivered Apple Watch units now on the wrists of the lucky, users will undoubtedly be looking to try out the best launch-day apps for their latest purchase. AppleInsider offers a roundup of some prominent and essential launch-day apps, divided by category.
Early adopters of the Apple Watch can receive alerts fir breaking Apple news and browse the latest headlines thanks to the official AppleInsider app, which includes support for the new wrist-worn device.
Once you get your Apple Watch out of the box, the first thing you'll need to do is pair it with an iPhone to start using its features. AppleInsider offers a closer look at exactly how the pairing process works.
Apple's mid-range stainless steel Apple Watch not only has a more premium enclosure than the aluminum Sport version, but it also comes in different packaging, and features a steel magnetic charger rather than plastic.
Apple has won a decisive victory in a long-running intellectual property fight over Siri in China, as the Beijing Higher People's Court has decided that the company's personal digital assistant does not infringe on patents held by Shanghai-based Zhizhen Network Technology.
An unknown person has inserted an Easter egg image into Google Maps, depicting the mascot for the Android operating system urinating on an Apple logo, and is now gaining attention across the Internet.
As the first wave of Apple Watch deliveries hits doorsteps around the world, some consumers have begun to put Apple's durability claims to the test — including the Watch's IPX7 water resistance rating — and found the devices more resilient than previously believed.
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available with detailed analysis of this week's news, including Apple Watch shipment notifications, our review of the 12-inch MacBook with Retina display, new iPod touch rumors, leaked video of Angela Ahrendts explaining the Watch retail strategy, and more.
Americans receiving their Apple Watch on Friday are being emailed an invitation to schedule an online Personal Setup session, guiding them through setting up and using the device without having to visit an Apple Store.
- Apple Watch release brings debut of all-new folding UK power adapter
- Apple Watch found to be compliant with Qi wireless charging standard
- Apple debuts three new ads showing Apple Watch use in everyday situations
- Apple Watch launch in Paris greeted with long line at Colette
- Shipping times for Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with discrete GPU slip to 2-3 weeks, point to refresh
- References to 'iTunes Subscription' pop up in iTunes, could point to rumored streaming service
- Apple Watch gets teardown treatment, unannounced data port remains in production units
- Customers line up at boutique fashion retailers, Japanese electronics stores for Apple Watch debut
- First Apple Watch deliveries received in Australia, developers selected for expedited shipping program
- Apple updates iMovie for Mac with enhanced YouTube sharing, fix for random crashes
- Apple issues fix for iMac JPEG crashes, updates TestFlight with WatchKit support
- Ahead of Apple Watch, Microsoft beefs up its Band with new cycling trackers, blood oxygen calculator
- Comcast will end efforts to acquire Time Warner Cable - report
- Apple launches Watch App Store and online User Guide
- Apple under fire once again for inconsistent App Store rule enforcement
- Apple Watch runs 'most' of iOS 8.2, may use A5-equivalent processor
- Misfit debuts Apple Watch coaching app, djay 2 gets Watch mixing controls
- Final Cut creator Randy Ubillos leaves Apple after 20 years
- Apple beefing up Siri, speech and language teams with wave of new openings
- Apple's dwindling iPod lineup to see long-awaited refresh this year
- US tech companies not disproportionately targeted for regulation, EU says
- Apple invention uses vibrations and temperature to simulate different materials on touchscreens, trackpads
- Apple says working on Apple Watch preorders in email to early-bird customers
- Apple being wooed by Nokia for $3.2B HERE mapping acquisition, report says
- Apple to reportedly offer Apple Watch band exchanges as alternative to full returns
- Pharrell performs at Apple campus in celebration of Earth Day, dons Apple Watch onstage
- Apple publishes Apple Watch Guided Tours for Apple Pay, Activity and Workout [updated with video]
- Select boutique outlets to have Apple Watch stock for sale on April 24
- Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro shipment estimates fluctuate, drop to 1-2 weeks ahead of WWDC
- Apple confirms some Apple Watch orders shipping out earlier than estimated
- Longtime Apple PR director Natalie Kerris announces retirement
- Apple ranks among top 50 'green' brands in 2015 survey of US shoppers
- Google announces 'Project Fi' mobile phone network for Nexus 6 owners
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with green retail store logos, App Store promos
- New tool offers glimpse at Apple Watch screenshots before April 24 launch
- Samsung's Galaxy S6, S6 Edge receive tepid interest in native South Korea
- Apple designers Ive, Newson talk Apple Watch at Conde Nast International Luxury Conference
- Apple 'unlikely' to launch new 4-inch iPhone model this year, insider says
- Researchers leverage SSL bug to crash Apple devices over Wi-Fi in 'No iOS Zone' attack
- Apple's Safari claims 55% of US mobile browser usage, 10.5% desktop share
- Second wave of online-only Apple Watch preorders rumored to start in Italy, other countries May 8
- Apple's lobbying costs grew to $1.24M in Q1, still lag well behind rivals
Thursday, April 23, 2015
Wednesday, April 22, 2015