After a rocky start, Apple's built-in Health app now integrates with numerous activity tracking services and hardware to bring all your fitness data into one place. Here's a primer on how to best take advantage of the new wellness platform.
Saturday, November 22, 2014
iPad Air 1 & 2 owners looking for a quick and easy way to turn their tablet into a MacBook-style, lap-friendly portable computer need look no further than the new backlit BrydgeAir keyboard — a well-built, well-designed productivity accessory.
ExclusiveLast call: 18 hours left to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBooks with coupons
Exclusive 3% discount coupons from MacMall that offer AppleInsider readers additional discounts — and the lowest prices anywhere — on Apple's MacBook Air and MacBook Pros will expire for the year in less than 18 hours.
ExclusiveDeals: Free Apple Magic Trackpad and 25-100% off AppleCare with each MacBook, Mac Pro and non-Retina iMac
As part of its ongoing effort to deliver substantial deals ahead of the Black Friday frenzy, AppleInsider has teamed with one of Apple's Authorized Resellers to give away a free Apple Magic Trackpad with every MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, and non-Retina iMac that also comes bundled with deeply discounted 3-Year AppleCare plans.
Friday, November 21, 2014
Former Apple designer Susan Kare, who created famously distinct icons for the original Macintosh operating system, is selling through her online shop reproductions of the pirate flag that flew over the Mac team's building in 1983.
Apple's A8 SoC reportedly capable of 4K video output, may pave way for ultra high-resolution Apple TV
According to a report on Friday, Apple's latest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models are able to play back 4K video thanks to the powerful A8 system-on-chip, suggesting a future Apple TV model equipped with the same silicon would offer support for ultra high definition programming.
Microsoft on Friday released a short ad bashing lack of enhancing Siri when it released the latest iPhone 6 models, expectedly touting Windows Phone-based Cortana virtual assistant technology.
U.S. District Court Judge Denise Cote on Friday accepted Apple's $450 million proposal to settle a class action lawsuit regarding e-book price fixing leveled by 33 states and territories.
After spending a few weeks in developer-only beta testing, the new iCloud.com photo uploading feature is now available on the Web to all Apple users with iCloud accounts.
Apple and a series of partners officially announced on Friday that the iAd network is now accepting "programmatic" mobile advertisement purchases, in a change that brings Apple in-line with other ad services.
Though many viewed them as competitors, Square and Apple Pay will link up in 2015, as the point-of-sale service is working on a new cash register that will accept Apple's NFC-based payment system.
In the wake of the collapse of sapphire maker GT Advanced Technologies, longtime members of Apple's supply chain have characterized the iPhone maker as a tough but fair partner who offers component makers a chance at success, provided they take proper precautions.
Apple's Web-based iWork suite was updated Friday with new languages for Pages, Numbers and Keynote, expanding international support for the beta iCloud productivity apps.
Thursday, November 20, 2014
Apple is slowly catching up with demand for its popular iPhone 6 two months after the handset launched, with the company's online storefront now showing shipping times pegged at 7 to 10 days for most models, including the 16GB iPhone 6 Plus.
A court filing this week suggests Google has agreed to settle a patent dispute leveled by the Rockstar consortium, of which Apple is a major investor, suggesting the end is in sight for this particular lawsuit.
Following Apple's release of OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite on Monday, Dropbox is sending emails to users confirming that the latest Mac maintenance update solves a rare crashing problem seen with apps integrated with Finder.
Three days after releasing the OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite maintenance update, Apple on Thursday seeded the first beta for its next OS X 10.10.2 update to developers.
Billboard's influential music chart is about to step into the 21st century as the company announced it will soon include metrics from on-demand Internet streaming services like Apple's Beats Music to its Billboard 200 album rankings.
Morgan Stanley joins a number of other investment firms that have raised their price targets on shares of Apple stock this week, reflecting significant gains posted by the company heading into the holiday shopping season and in anticipation of next year's debut of the Apple Watch.
Best Buy gets the jump on Black Friday with $320 iPad Air, $250 64GB iPod touch, $250 discount on AirPlay speaker
Offering shoppers the opportunity to "beat the Black Friday rush," Best Buy on Thursday began offering limited-time deals on Apple's iPad Air and iPod touch, as well as Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, and a significant discount on an iHome AirPlay-compatible speaker.
Apple supplier Corning on Thursday took the wraps off of its next-generation Gorilla Glass 4, which the company says is up to two times harder than competing glasses used in existing smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices.
Strong demand for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus persists, prompts Piper Jaffray to raise Apple price target to $135
Piper Jaffray has been tracking availability of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at Apple Stores and continues to see demand outstripping supply, leading the investment firm to raise its price target on AAPL stock on Thursday.
Foxconn's Innolux will build a new $2.6 billion sixth-generation plant in Southern Taiwan to supply displays exclusively to Apple, after the iPhone maker made an "urgent" request, it was announced on Thursday.
With a huge number of iPhone owners yet to upgrade to screen sizes larger than 4 inches, Evercore Partners expects major revenue growth for Apple in fiscal 2015 and beyond, and has increased its price target on the company's shares to $135.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
In a surprising turn of events, Sony is reportedly no longer attached to the upcoming Steve Jobs movie penned by Oscar winner Aaron Sorkin and based on Walter Isaacson's biography of the tech guru.
After Apple's Maps app launched to negative reviews in 2012, the company has actively taken steps to enhance the fledgling navigation service, the latest effort being the addition of listings data from at least ten new companies.
During a closed-door meeting in October, Deputy Attorney General James Cole told Apple its recently implemented iMessage encryption technology will one day result in a dead child, according to a report published Wednesday.
Following bankruptcy court filings that seek to postpone Apple's settlement agreement with GT Advanced, a report on Wednesday reveals inside details on why the ambitious sapphire production project went south.
- GT Advanced creditors investigating Apple settlement, call for approval extension
- Deals: Final days to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons
- Walmart to start Black Friday sales a week early with special offers on Apple's iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
- App Store download buttons change from 'Free' to 'Get' as in-app purchases dominate revenue
- Beats Music will be native iOS app starting with spring 2015 update - report
- Apple earns 100% score on Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for 13th year in a row
- Apple to offer automated iAds, catching up with rival mobile advertisers
- Sync Solver bridges the gap between Apple's Health app and Fitbit devices
- Apple pushes holiday gift ideas to shoppers ahead of Black Friday
- Adobe announces Lightroom 5.7 with new Aperture and iPhoto importer tool, Black Friday subscription pricing
- Apple to repurpose Mesa, Ariz. sapphire plant after GT Advanced vacates
- Google launches first 64-bit Chrome Web browser for OS X
- Next-gen iPhone rumored to sport dual-lenses, DSLR quality in 'biggest camera jump ever'
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for infringing pager technology patents from 1990s
- WatchKit tools reveal Apple Watch screen resolutions, Dynamic Type support, more
- Apple releases WatchKit developer tools for creating Apple Watch apps & more
- Apple awarded patent for augmented reality devices with transparent displays
- Nokia channels Apple's iPad mini with new N1 Android tablet for China
- Top hedge funds predict Apple could achieve trillion-dollar market cap
- Online retailers who support Apple Pay in iOS apps will boost sales this holiday, study says
- Apple's scanner mouse patent dynamically adjusts resolution, displays images on housing
- Apple exec Eddy Cue goes on 'holiday shopping spree' to showcase Apple Pay
- Apple iSight supplier Sony unveils new 21MP CMOS sensor with 4K video, phase detection AF
- Chinese sites hosting 'Wirelurker' Mac-to-iOS malware taken down, suspects arrested
- AT&T promo gives subscribers 15GB of data for the price of 10GB
- Apple Store now selling ecobee3 smart thermostat, stokes 'smarthome' competition
- NYC plans to replace phone booths with pylons providing free gigabit Wi-Fi
- Snapchat partners with Square to debut Snapcash money transfers
- Apple's OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 update improves Wi-Fi reliability, fixes Mail bugs, more
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.1 with performance improvements for iPad 2 & iPhone 4s, plus bug fixes
- Apple's MacBook Air continues to bear the brunt of Microsoft's Surface ad budget
- Rumor: Apple taps rival Samsung to build majority of A-series chips starting next year
- Alibaba agreement could give Apple Pay easier path past Chinese regulators
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014