To pursue its continuing obsession with thinness, Apple has gone to extraordinary lengths with the keyboard on the new 12-inch MacBook, redesigning it in a way that is thoroughly distinct from its Macbook Air and MacBook Pro stablemates.
Saturday, March 28, 2015
Friday, March 27, 2015
Google has formed a partnership with medical and consumer goods firm Johnson & Johnson that will see the development of robots to help surgeons in the operating room, according to an announcement made on Friday.
Meerkat works around Twitter social graph, Vine gets 720P update, and Instapaper adds 'speed reading'
A trio of popular media apps received updates Friday, with live broadcasting app Meerkat gaining upgrades to compete with Twitter's Periscope, while Vine moves to 720p video and Instapaper adds Instant Sync and Twitter "textshots."
Amid rumors of an Apple branded streaming television service, Comcast asserts it has not engaged in any discussions with the company about licensing NBCUniversal content to air alongside programs from potential partners ABC, CBS, Fox and more.
Apple chief executive Tim Cook has revealed plans to donate the vast majority of his wealth to charity before he dies, saying that he wants to develop a "systematic approach" to philanthropy.
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Friday stood in opposition to a new Indiana law that allows businesses in the state to legally discriminate against gays and lesbians, while calling on Arkansas governor Asa Hutchinson to veto a similar measure that is set to hit his desk.
Canadian device maker BlackBerry on Friday revealed yet another quarterly decline in hardware sales, moving just 1.6 million smartphones in its fiscal fourth quarter as its once-dominant device business continues to retreat.
The $848 million solar power deal Apple signed with First Solar last month is a better value than some have suggested, according to vice president of Environmental Initiatives Lisa Jackson, who on Thursday pointed to a surge in the amount of power Apple will receive towards the end of the contract.
AppleInsider podcast discusses Twitter's live streaming app, Periscope, iCloud storage issues, and more
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news. Twitter launches Periscope for iPhone, a live streaming app to compete with Meerkat. The issues with iCloud storage, Fantastical 2 for OS X hands-on, Square Cash, Apple Pay, and who still wants a 4" iPhone.
The U.K.'s Court of Appeal has denied Google's request to block lawsuits from British consumers over the search giant's disregard for Safari privacy restrictions designed to prevent advertisers from tracking users.
Intel & Micron's new 3D flash memory could mean cheaper, larger storage for Apple's Macs, iOS devices
Intel and Micron have announced the launch of a new 3D NAND flash technology, one which could substantially improve the amount of data storage possible in Macs, iPhones, iPads, and numerous other devices.
Apple on Thursday announced it will officially open three international Apple Watch store-within-a-store locations on April 10, offering customers shopping at high-end department stores the chance to try on and preorder the device before it goes on sale.
Thursday, March 26, 2015
Authors Brent Schlender and Rick Tetzeli visited the Apple Store SoHo in New York on Thursday to read selections from their hotly anticipated biography "Becoming Steve Jobs" and field questions from what quickly became a packed house.
Apple on Wednesday filed a motion to dismiss a class action lawsuit that claims the company misrepresented to consumers the amount of storage space iOS 8 uses in newly shipped iPhone and iPad devices, noting plaintiffs failed to provide evidence of fraud.
In the third week of her promotional Apple Watch diary, posted Thursday, model Christy Turlington Burns made mention of a previously unknown feature of the wearable's Workout app that adjusts to a user's gait for more accurate results.
A collection of iPhone apps — such as Evernote, Dark Sky, and the New York Times — were updated today to support the Apple Watch, even though the wearable isn't shipping until April 24.
Despite finally jumping into the OLED market with the Apple Watch, Apple is not expected to migrate its handset line away from LCD technology in the near future, instead choosing to stick with LTPS-based LCD panels when it debuts its so-called "iPhone 7."
Vendors who accept Apple Pay can advertise their support with new decal stickers supplied by Apple itself, which began arriving in the mail for merchants on Thursday.
Critics of so-called "bloatware" will have new fodder thanks to Samsung's forthcoming flagship Galaxy S6 smartphone, which will come preinstalled with a total of 56 applications, including third-party services like Microsoft OneDrive and Whatsapp.
While late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs's office remains in situ at the company's Infinite Loop headquarters, a more impressive memorial may be in the works as current chief executive Tim Cook has indicated his desire to name all or part of the new spaceship campus after Jobs.
Thursday, March 26, 2015
Amazon today launched two unlimited tiers for its Cloud Drive storage service, while prominent dance music service Beatport has revealed it will be debuting on Apple's iOS.
Former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts chose to leave the British fashion house for Apple largely because of the opportunity to work with Tim Cook, she hinted in a recent interview, choosing to serve alongside the Apple chief executive as he reshapes the company.
Just a few months after acquiring the app's original developer, Twitter has released a rebranded Periscope app for the iPhone, which lets users stream live broadcasts to Twitter followers, like chief rival Meerkat.
Apple has explored presenting iPhone users with non-dismissable notifications, such as requiring personal health data to be entered before resuming normal use of their device, in a concept that could help break bad habits.
Days after its Down Under debut, the Apple Watch has been featured in Australian exercise magazine Fitness First with a two-page spread that extolls the new wearable's virtues for fitness aficionados.
The latest scuttlebutt out of East Asia claims Apple has plans to release a total of three new iPhone models during its annual refresh cycle in the second half of the year, one of which will incorporate a 4-inch display.
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is primed to roll out an iPhone trade-in program in China that will let customers sell back old equipment to Foxconn in return for store credit.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Apple appears to have acquired London-based big data analytics firm Acunu, which previously marketed an eponymous real-time analytics platform that boasted high-velocity ingests and compatibility with Cassandra databases.
Apple reportedly puts Trent Reznor in charge of redesigned Beats Music app, presses forward with iTunes Radio revamp
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is moving forward with a long rumored overhaul of its streaming music services lineup that will incorporate a reworked Beats Music app developed with the help of Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, as well as a revamped iTunes Radio service.
A number of powerful tech companies sent an open letter to Congress, President Barack Obama and other government agencies on Wednesday, arguing for drastic change in the nation's surveillance laws that currently allow for bulk consumer data collection.
Apple on Wednesday silently updated the Apple TV with another app channel, CNNgo, to provide users with live and on-demand video from the news network.
Starting April 10, standard appointments for sampling Apple Watch will run 15 minutes, but shoppers interested in the $10,000-and-up Apple Watch Edition will get a half-hour to see how it looks and fits.
Facebook on Wednesday made a series of announcements at its F8 Developer Conference in San Francisco, revealing plans to make Messenger a platform, and improve other aspects of its social network with functions like Share Sheets, spherical videos, and an embeddable video player.
Yelp this week introduced five new business categories users can transact with via its website and mobile apps, including outdoor activities, florists, nightclubs, spas and salons, and even legal advisors.
Apple recently made a splash by announcing a new 12-inch MacBook that features a single port for both power and data transfers: USB-C, a new connector spec that may sweep away not just USB 2.0, but also Thunderbolt — and possibly even Apple's Lightning.
Apple's cloud-based woes continue to reappear, with a major outage hitting the App Store, iTunes Store and other digital storefronts on Wednesday, seemingly affecting users around the world and preventing them from searching for and downloading apps or other content [updated].
While Apple says that its latest MacBook Air will officially support external monitors with resolutions up to 2,560-pixels-by-1,600-pixels, tests have shown that the slim portable can actually drive an external 4K display at a full 60Hz.
An Apple research and development facility promised by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has been formally announced by the mayor of Yokohama, and is due to be completed sometime in 2016.
- First look: Fantastical 2 for Mac brings advanced calendaring to OS X Yosemite
- Apple Campus 2 recycled water project set for final approval [u]
- UK Parliament approves $1.5M plan to supply members with new iPad Air 2s, laptops
- Apple buys flexible, fast database software firm FoundationDB with eye on the cloud
- HP to replace audio vendor Beats with Bang & Olufsen
- Facebook begins rolling out nostalgic 'On This Day' feature to Web, mobile app
- iOS 8.3 allows users to turn off password requirement for free App Store downloads
- Site cleared for Apple's new flagship retail store at San Francisco's Union Square
- Apple releases new iOS 8.3 betas for both developer and public testing
- New 'Try the Watch' app uses augmented reality to visualize wearing an Apple Watch
- Apple TV app lineup expands with TED, Tastemade, Young Hollywood
- Last Call: Free LG super drive, Free Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Pro headphones, and up to $354 off all 2014 BTO MacBook Pros with AppleCare
- Magzet aims to bring MagSafe-like functionality to 3.5mm audio jacks
- Ten One Design's Inklet is first 3rd-party app to support Apple's Force Touch trackpad
- Highly anticipated 'Becoming Steve Jobs' biography now available
- Apple location sharing patent could bring path tracking to Find My Friends
- Apple invents 3-sensor iPhone camera with light splitting cube for accurate colors, low-light performance
- Netflix flips switch on streaming services in Australia and New Zealand, lands on Apple TV
- Italian prosecutors complete probe into Apple over $964M in unpaid taxes, could pave way for trial
- Twitter experiments with autoplay video ads on iPhone and iPad apps
- Apple's new Apple Pay acceptance decal kits raise customer awareness at participating merchants
- Fitbit adds support for multiple trackers, bike tracking as Apple Watch launch approaches
- Amazon Music for iOS gets ad-free Prime Stations, Instagram launches Layout for iPhone
- Square opens up Square Cash payments to businesses in bid to compete with PayPal, Apple Pay
- Source: Apple Watch will see constraints at launch, but reports of late production issues overblown
- Apple posts fifth OS X 10.10.3 beta, adds OS X Recovery updates
- Apple's mystery vans are so popular, people are making fake ones
- Apple outs wireless keyboard refresh on Czech store, could include backlight
- iPhone 6 orders boost Pegatron's 2014 net profits to $466.8 million
- New Apple TV with App Store would enter Apple into $35 billion home gaming market
- Rumor: Apple Watch faces staggering manufacturing issues, initial production run halved
- Apple opens up for new Steve Jobs biography to shape co-founder's public image
- Seeing Android switchers fueling iPhone growth, Cowen & Co. raises Apple price target to $135
- Apple Watch stars in Elle Australia magazine's styling section
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Monday, March 23, 2015