Adding weight to the rumors circulating about a future iPhone boasting facial recognition, reports claim that Apple has purchased RealFace — a machine learning company specializing in the technology.
Sunday, February 19, 2017
The latest update to automation app Workflow 1.7 latest update makes it simpler to get started and better to streamline multi-app user processes. AppleInsider walks you through setting up your first workflow, and tailoring it specifically to what you need.
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Apple continued to struggle for ground in China during the December quarter, ceding fourth place in the country's smartphone market under pressure from local brands like Huawei and Xiaomi, according to new research data.
There are dozens of Warhammer 40,000 games available for iOS, but which are the must-plays? AppleInsider examines them, and purges the heretical ones.
The 27-year-old "Fire Emblem" series' latest entry was released earlier in February on iOS — AppleInsider fights the forces of evil in "Fire Emblem Heroes."
FeatureAirPods vs. Powerbeats3: Which Apple W1 headphones are better for working out and exercising?
Apple now has four pairs of headphones on the market with its proprietary W1 wireless chip, allowing for simpler Bluetooth pairing and better connectivity. But only two of those headphones are really well suited for workouts: Apple's AirPods and the Powerbeats3. AppleInsider helps you decide which pair is right for you.
Apple announced the dates for this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, set to return to San Jose for the first time in well over a decade. Meanwhile, yet more hints about Apple's iPhone plans emerged, including a claim that the OLED iPhone will replace the home button with a virtual "function area."
Friday, February 17, 2017
Apple is thought to be working with chipmaker Broadcom on a custom designed wireless charging system destined for the company's iPhone product line, though the silicon might not be ripe for inclusion in this year's "iPhone 8" model.
Forging ahead of other self-driving tech makers like Apple and Waymo, General Motors is reportedly planning to test "thousands" of self-driving Chevy Bolts in partnership with Lyft, starting in 2018.
After laying fallow for two and a half years, the proposed merger between T-Mobile and Sprint may be lurching back to life, given the change in the U.S. government, and a new willingness by SoftBank to cede control of Sprint to the combined company's master.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,649; 27" iMac 5K (upgraded Apple refurb) for $1,499; fully loaded 12" MacBook $1,499
B&H Photo is offering readers $150 off Apple's Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray plus free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY and NJ. The first 10 shoppers can also save $250 on a loaded 2015 12" MacBook — and eBay has an upgraded 3.3GHz 27" iMac 5K with M395 graphics for $1,499.99 ($800 off new).
Revamped SoundSource 3.0.0 brings quick audio source & output switching back to Mac after 5-year hiatus
A pair of old OS X audio routing applications have regenerated, and have merged to form the new SoundSource 3.0.0 by Rogue Amoeba — and AppleInsider takes a look at the offering.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Apple on Friday released four new commercials for the iPad Pro, coming amidst several rumors that the company is planning to update the iPad lineup within a matter of months.
This week, accessory maker D-Link began shipping the Omna 180, the first security camera on the market boasting compatibility with Apple's HomeKit line of smart home accessories. AppleInsider offers a closer look at the new hardware that can keep your home safe.
Confide — a messaging app being used by some White House staff and reporters, and available for Apple's iPhone and Mac among other platforms — may not be sufficiently secure, according to a new report.
A recent analyst report suggests that Apple will see a slight drop in iPhone sales from 2016 for the next two quarters, but profits will be relatively unaffected because of the continued consumer interest in the iPhone 7 Plus.
The acting head of the Samsung Group, Jay Y. Lee, was arrested on Friday by police in South Korea, taken into custody hours after a warrant for his arrest was approved by the country's Central District Court.
Apple's flagship Australian store was briefly evacuated mid-day on Friday, in what appears to have been a response to a bomb threat, according to local media reports.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Mikey and Victor talk about an 'iPhone 8' with no home button, Malware on the Mac, Apple's effort to fight fake news, and more.
Apple's first "made in India" device will be the iPhone SE, with reports on Friday claiming the tech giant plans to start production of the entry-level handset in the coming months through contract manufacturer Wistron.
Bloomberg is doubling down on its narrative of Apple as an incompetent, poorly managed company with a perpetual strategy of failure that can't quite pull off its iPhone Magic in everything else the company does. However, the site's facts and analysis of the TV opportunity are seriously flawed.
Thursday, February 16, 2017
In a bid to stay current amid recently increased competition, AT&T on Thursday said it will make a new AT&T Unlimited Data Plan available to all post-paid customers on Friday, with tiers starting at $100 for a single user.
South Korea's Central District Court has approved an arrest warrant for the acting head of the Samsung Group, Jay Y. Lee, a report indicated on Thursday.
FeatureHead to head: Comparing AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile & Verizon's 'unlimited' wireless plans for iPhone [u]
All four of the big U.S. wireless providers once again have unlimited plans available to smartphone users. AppleInsider looks into the four, and gives you the data you need to make the best choice possible if you're in the market.
Continuing an aggressive campaign, Apple on Thursday released two new iPhone 7 Plus ads through its YouTube channel, once again concentrating on the phone's unique Portrait mode.
Following after a brief beta preview, Microsoft is rolling out support for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar to all users of Office for Mac, with the update providing quick access to functions from the new dynamic display panel.
The cover of the latest issue of Billboard Magazine — showing Fifth Harmony singer Camila Cabello — was shot on an iPhone 7 Plus at the request of the magazine, a report said on Thursday.
Apple could have bolstered its video content strategy significantly with an acquisition of a production company, a report claims, with discussions allegedly involving Apple CEO Tim Cook and SVP Eddy Cue said to have potentially led to a purchase of Imagine Entertainment.
Racking up a 10-year streak, Apple on Thursday claimed the top spot on Fortune's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 2017, based on the opinions of 3,800 executives, directors, analysts, and experts.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has agreed to review the validity of a patent owned by Sportbrain Holdings relating to how wearable devices operate, shortly after the company sued Apple by alleging the Apple Watch infringes the patent.
The colorful artwork Apple is using for its 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference is based on a poster for a Spanish film festival from 2010, both of which were created by the same artist (updated).
In an effort to fight the fake news epidemic, changes to Facebook's Trending section have now rolled out to all users, adding an original, trusted source of the material and brief summary of the story.
In a bid to sell its upcoming St. Patrick's-themed Chocolate Shamrock Shake, McDonald's has revealed "the STRAW," an accompanying product the fast food chain is marketing with a clip that pokes fun at Apple marketing videos, which frequently star chief design officer Jony Ive.
A report declares that a new 4K Apple TV, codenamed "J105" is in testing, with a debut coming as soon as this year — but nothing new may be added to the platform besides the bump in resolution.
After spending the last 13 years in San Francisco, Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference will return to San Jose this June, moving it closer to the company's corporate campus in Cupertino.
An Apple patent application published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday details a method of detecting and notifying users of cracks in a device coverglass, even if the break is a hairline fracture.
According to an Apple patent application published on Thursday, the company is investigating device charging mechanisms capable of generating electricity through winding, as well as wearables powered by constant spring tension, like a traditional wristwatch.
It took eight quarters, but Apple has recovered its spot at the top of the worldwide smartphone market from Android device maker Samsung, according to the latest numbers from research firm Gartner.
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
- Winner of the AirPods giveaway announced [Joe M.]
- How to save Netflix videos for offline viewing on an iPhone or iPad
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' to replace Touch ID home button with 'function area,' start at $1,000
- Comcast to launch Xfinity Stream app for iOS in prep for wider Stream TV rollout, no tvOS support so far
- Exploit hidden macOS and app features with the Option key
- 3D laser scanner possibly destined for Apple's 'iPhone 8' expected to add facial recognition, future AR use
- Police arrest gang who stole iPhones from Madrid Apple store by chewing security cables
- Secure messaging app Confide for iOS finds popularity with White House staff, reporters
- Jaguar Shell app lets UK drivers refuel using Apple Pay from inside their car
- Progress on bringing Apple Pay to South Korea 'still in an early stage'
- CFO Luca Maestri discusses Apple R&D, potential of 'Spaceship' HQ as tourism draw
- Apple patches malicious exploit found in GarageBand for Mac project files
- Apple's confidence, acquisitions strategy stand in the way of large takeovers
- Rumored new Foxconn iPhone plant in India lurches forward, timetable for opening unknown
- D-Link Omna 180 HomeKit camera launches at Apple's online store, coming to retail this month
- Apple in talks with Chinese display maker BOE to supply OLED panels for future iPhone
- Apple to oppose 'Right to Repair' legislation in Nebraska, report says
- Pioneer debuts Rayz 'smart' Lightning earphones with talk and charge, six mics for noise cancelling
- Apple's Siri gets 'LEGO Batman Movie' tie-in with custom Bat-phrases
- 'Xagent' malware arrives on Mac, steals passwords, screenshots, iPhone backups
- How to add, use and remove passes in Apple's Wallet app for iOS
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway nearly quadruples stake in Apple
- Apple stock sets new record at $135.09, market cap exceeds $700B once again
- As Apple hypes original content, Disney & Google sever ties with popular YouTube star PewDiePie
- HomeKit-enabled D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD spotted in German Apple Store ahead of US availability
- Alphabet's Nest Cam adds animated camera notifications to iOS alerts, auto door recognition
- Facebook live video streaming app for Apple TV coming 'soon' to tvOS App Store
- Review: BeatsX are Apple's most affordable W1 wireless headphones
- Latest Apple ad uses Brazil's Carnival to highlight iPhone 7 Plus camera
- Amazon launches Chime video conferencing with apps for Apple's Mac & iOS
- Apple looks to raise $1 billion in second Taiwanese bond sale
- Future iPhone 'Pokemon Go' updates to include 'abbreviated' trading, PvP battling
- South Korean prosecutors look to arrest head of Samsung in influence scandal
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' again rumored to feature reinforced glass back, stainless steel frame
- Apple patents screen tech capable of reading fingerprints without dedicated sensor
- Apple working to combat fake news in News app, Eddy Cue says
Tuesday, February 14, 2017