In a quiet update to Apple's dedicated CarPlay webpage, legendary German automaker Porsche was added to a rolling list of companies promising support for the iOS-based infotainment system.
Saturday, April 18, 2015
One of the key features of Continuity across Apple devices is Handoff. Handoff allows Apple's first-party apps and any third party developers to send an app's data seamlessly between devices so you can "pick up where you left off."
Friday, April 17, 2015
Apple designers Jony Ive and Marc Newson were on hand in Italy to attend a high-fashion coming out party for Apple Watch at upscale Milanese restaurant Carlo e Camilla. During the festivities, important guests were provided early copies of Apple Watch, as well as what appears to be Sport Bands in custom colors.
Two men in Tulsa, Okla. were hospitalized on Friday after stabbing each other in a fight over the superiority of iPhones versus Android devices, according to a local ABC TV affiliate.
Apple on Friday began sending out Worldwide Developers Conference 2015 ticket confirmations to lucky developers who were selected at random after registering to attend the annual event scheduled for June.
ExclusiveCoupons: Save $199 off all BTO early 2015 MacBook Airs & Force Touch 13" MacBook Pros with AppleCare
AppleInsider readers in the market for one of Apple's new early 2015 MacBook Airs or MacBook Pros with AppleCare can combine instant discounts, rebates and exclusive $60 coupons to save $199 to $303 off every single new built-to-order configuration, with no sales tax outside NY & NJ. In every case, the end result is the lowest prices anywhere.
Hardware manufacturers responsible for supplying Apple's official Lightning to USB cable accessory have moved production beyond China and into Brazil and Vietnam, according to an updated Support Pages document.
In a marked departure from his former career at Apple, Scott Forstall posted on Twitter for the first time on Friday to announce his role as a co-producer in an upcoming Broadway musical, Fun Home.
Apple's iPhone 6 and larger iPhone 6 Plus will likely perform better in the June and September quarters than previous iPhone models, analyst Gene Munster believes, which will help to propel shares of the company's stock to new highs.
Investment bank FBR this week rated Apple stock with a massive $185 price target, forecasting that the iPhone maker will eventually become the world's first corporation valued at $1 trillion.
Apple marketing head Phil Schiller and designer Marc Newson made an appearance at today's viewing event for the Apple Watch at the Salone del Mobile, a furniture design fair currently underway in Milan, Italy.
The unprecedented financial success Apple has seen since Tim Cook took over as chief executive makes him the best corporate leader in America when it comes to pay versus performance, according to a new Bloomberg executive ranking.
Two photos posted on Twitter today by British cyclist and ex-rugby player Will Carling show what appear to be unreleased Apple products, including a red version of the Apple Watch sport band and a folding UK wall adapter.
Apple is preparing to launch its NFC-based mobile payments service in Canada this fall, a Friday report says, marking the first time Apple Pay would be officially offered outside of the United States.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has opened a probe into whether investors and other parties were properly informed about bonds being put towards the Los Angeles Unified School District's failed iPad program, a report said on Friday.
Already a showpiece of technical innovation, Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook appears to have one more trick up it sleeve in the form of a new, in-house SSD controller likely born of the company's 2011 acquisition of Israeli firm Anobit.
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news. Neil, Shane and Steve discuss their Apple Watch try-on experience and impressions, WWDC 2015 speculation, hopes and fixes for the anticipated iOS 9, and more.
Apple's retail website was recently updated to reflect upcoming availability of a new Workshop called Apple Watch Basics, suggesting the company plans to roll out device training sessions for early Watch buyers from day one.
Thursday, April 16, 2015
Yelp comes to Apple Watch in latest app update, brings nearby business discovery, search, ratings, more
In the buildup to Apple Watch's debut next week, Yelp on Thursday updated its app with support for the wearable, bringing direct wrist access to tentpole features like nearby businesses, reviews, address lookups and more.
It appears Apple has filled the shoes of former PR chief Katie Cotton, as the company's Leadership webpage now lists former interim communications chief Steve Dowling as VP of Communications.
A leaked email from last year's Sony Pictures data breach that surfaced Thursday reveals Snapchat granted former iOS chief Scott Forstall 0.11 percent of its stock in fully-diluted shares in return for being a special company advisor.
In an update to its iOS 8 Feature Availability webpage on Thursday, Apple announced the rollout of CarPlay services to five new countries, including Russia and Sweden.
Google today updated its Chrome for iOS Web browser with features such as an iOS 8 Notification Center widget and support for app extensions, while Microsoft launched its first Halo game for iOS, called Spartan Strike.
DODOcase on Thursday debuted its second Apple Watch accessory in the form of a book-like organizer with wooden charging stand and cable tamer capable of powering both Apple's new wearable and an iPhone.
Yahoo on Thursday announced plans to bring Apple Watch extensions to four of its iOS apps by April 24, while ReSound launched a Watch app for its iPhone-compatible hearing aids.
One week after releasing OS X 10.10.3 with Photos for Mac, Apple on Thursday issued the first beta build of OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite to developers for testing.
Apple is set to expand its global investment in alternative energy sources with the construction of two new solar energy sites in mainland China, which when combined will provide up to 80 million kilowatt-hours of power each year.
During a promotional stop for Disney's upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens, director J.J. Abrams flashed what appears to be a stainless steel Apple Watch during a panel discussion at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.
Though the Los Angeles Unified School District's demand for a multi-million dollar refund from Apple has grabbed headlines, the failure of the $1.3 billion program to create a new digital curriculum for Los Angles students appears to lie primarily with educational publishing company Pearson.
Apple's feud with antitrust monitor continues; company accused of not cooperating in iBooks oversight
Tension between Apple and its court-appointed antitrust monitor continues to mount, as Michael Bromwich has accused the iPad maker of reducing its cooperating with his reviews of the company.
A video driver glitch that caused some Mac users to experience startup trouble under OS X 10.10.3 was addressed by Apple on Wednesday with a supplemental update to the company's venerable desktop operating system.
The Chinese government on Thursday officially suspended rules on bank technology that have sparked the ire of the U.S. government and international businesses, and could have produced a barrier to the arrival of Apple Pay in the country.
ExclusiveKiller Deal: Save $50-$220 off all iMac 5Ks plus free AppleCare & a free Canon PIXMA printer
AppleInsider has re-teamed with one of Apple's authorized resellers to offer $50-$220 discounts on 48 different configurations of Apple's new iMac with Retina 5K display, each of which is in stock and also comes with a free 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan, a free Canon PIXMA all-in-one printer, free expedited shipping (and no sales tax collected in 48 states).
Last week's OS X 10.10.3 update is in some cases triggering kernel panics when previewing large JPEG image files, leading to crashes and reboots, according to complaints on Apple's support forums.
On Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook once again secured a position on Time magazine's annual list of the 100 Most Influential People, and was praised in a profile written by Democratic Congressman and civil rights activist John Lewis.
Thursday, April 16, 2015
Apple and The Conservation Fund are partnering to purchase more than 36,000 acres of vulnerable forestland in Maine and North Carolina, and will use the land to sustainably harvest materials that can be used for paper and packaging.
AppleInsider's iOS app gets support for native iPhone 6 and 6 Plus screen resolutions, Apple Watch companion app in update
With the updated AppleInsider iOS app, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners can get the day's freshest Apple news delivered in screen resolutions native to their handset, while Apple Watch owners will be granted quick access to headlines when the device launches next week.
Consumers with visual or aural impairments will have several options for making the Apple Watch more accessible to them, Apple revealed this week, including the company's oft-lauded VoiceOver functionality and user interface customizations.
- Apple Watch won't be available in Apple's retail stores until June at the earliest
- Apple exploring light field image editing software, patent application shows
- Jawbone announces Up4 fitness band with NFC payments, releases Up2 mid-tier offering
- LAUSD seeks multimillion-dollar refund from Apple for scrapped iPad in education program
- Apple makes 'last-minute decision' to use TSMC for 30% of 'A9' chip orders for next iPhone
- Apple Watch preorders estimated at 2.3M units, low supply blamed on haptic vibrator and OLED display
- IFTTT's streamlined 'Do' apps get Apple Watch treatment, iPad support
- Apple's iOS App Store widens revenue lead over Google Play in Q1 2015
- Apple posts Apple Watch 'Guided Tours' for Phone Calls, Siri, Maps and Music [updated with video]
- Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld given custom all-gold Apple Watch band
- 15M Americans say they'll buy an Apple Watch, Reuters poll finds
- Tumblr, Wikipedia overhaul apps for iOS with new looks and features
- From beaches to bridges, Apple has plenty of possible California-themed names for next OS X
- Tim Cook offers keynote invite, Cupertino lunch in latest Charitybuzz auction
- European Commission charges Google with multiple antitrust violations
- Microsoft updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview, intros new iPhone apps for Office 365
- WWDC 2015 scholarships increased to 350 as Apple works to boost gender, racial diversity
- Chess grandmaster hid an iPod touch in the bathroom to cheat during tournaments
- Samsung dedicates 200 employees to display team focused solely on Apple products
- Teardown of 12" MacBook with Retina display reveals tiny logic board, massive battery [u]
- Mophie debuts 'Watch Dock' for Apple Watch with aluminum and leather construction
- Apogee's MetaRecorder field recording app offloads controls to Apple Watch
- Vendors at 2015 NAB Show brings debut Thunderbolt drives, camera remote accessories, more
- Rare functional Apple I computer up for auction on eBay, 10% of sale price goes to charity
- Apple Watch to make special appearance at 2015 Salone del Mobile in Milan
- Apple's iOS 8.3 reportedly causing problems with Bluetooth GPS receivers
- Teen interest in Apple Watch wanes ahead of launch, most want device for style and design
- 1Password, Workflow iOS apps update with Apple Watch support
- Apple buys multi-lens, DSLR-quality camera tech with $20M purchase of LinX Imaging
- Republican legislators, cellular industry launch attack on FCC net neutrality provisions
- Apple makes ResearchKit tools for iOS 8 available to medical researchers
- iOS-connected wearables, smart home devices take center stage at Hong Kong Spring Electronics Fair
- Apple bans selfie sticks, monopods from WWDC 2015
- iOS 8.4 moves audiobooks to iBooks, adds separate CarPlay audiobook access
- Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12
- Future iPhones might automatically broadcast IM-style operating status data to contacts
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Tuesday, April 14, 2015