News was jam-packed ahead of Sept. 9's press event with Apple announcing a Cisco enterprise partnership, and a flood of rumors emerging about things like video content deals, the fourth-generation Apple TV, and a 21.5-inch 4K iMac.
Saturday, September 05, 2015
Friday, September 04, 2015
Apple is starting to dress up the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco with posters, banners and flags in preparation of a special event next week expected to include new iPhones, Apple TV hardware and more.
BlackBerry on Friday announced the acquisition of mobility services firm Good Technology in what appears to be an attempt at protecting its position in secure mobile enterprise solutions before declining into complete irrelevancy.
A report on Friday claims Apple has potentially purchased Faceshift, a Swiss firm working on real-time facial motion capture animation through proprietary markerless technology.
Alex Gibney's documentary "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine," which has been heavily criticized by Apple executives, made its official debut on Friday, appearing in a limited theatrical run, as well as on a variety of online services.
Runtastic on Friday launched the Moment, a new smartwatch that employs a traditional analog watch face but with smartphone-connected fitness tracking.
Philips is preparing to launch a device called the Hue Bridge, apprarently designed to link current Hue products with Apple's HomeKit platform, according to a now-deleted store page from a Dutch lighting retailer.
Apple may still have a few surprises in store for its Sept. 9 event, including a "revamped iPad keyboard" and a less expensive gold variant of the current Apple Watch design, according to The New York Times.
There's a feeling on Wall Street that everything is already known and expected heading into Apple's "Hey Siri" event, investment firm Wells Fargo said on Friday, suggesting that any potential surprises could help push the company's stock higher.
Apple has reportedly confirmed plans to open its first Belgian store in the capital city of Brussels on Sept. 19, erecting a special construction barricade around a building on Avenue Toison d'Or. [updated]
Apple's Sept. 9 event, where it is expected to introduce a new iPhone and Apple TV, will likely be a catalyst for shares of the company, RBC Capital Markets told investors on Friday, while reiterating its $150 price target.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast delves into the rumored Apple TV, 'iPhone 6s,' retail store designs & more
With just a few days to go until Apple's Sept. 9 event, the AppleInsider podcast dives deep into the future of Apple TV, streaming content, rumors of new iMacs, new retail store designs, the next-generation iPhone, and an enterprise push with Cisco.
Gazelle paying up to $480 cash for old iPhone trade-ins; vows to beat Apple, carrier offers until Sept 9th
If you plan to purchase an iPhone 6s later this month, now's the time to help fund that upgrade by making plans to trade in your existing iPhone before its value plummets. And for the next 7 days, Gazelle is offering up to $480 cash for old iPhones alongside a guarantee to beat any competitive offer from Apple or its big four US wireless partners.
Friday, September 04, 2015
Charter Communications subscribers might soon be able to stream HBO programming to their Apple TV, as an updated HBO GO activation page now lists the U.S. cable company as a participating provider
Sphero, maker of iOS-connected robot toys, is bringing The Force to Apple Stores this Friday when it introduces BB-8, a rolling ball model named after the astromech droid from Disney's upcoming film Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Thursday, September 03, 2015
It appears that Mozilla is making progress with its Firefox for iOS browser, as the company launched a limited trial program in New Zealand to shake out bugs and gather data ahead of a planned worldwide debut later this year.
Apple activated a new Twitter account on Thursday dedicated to iOS App Store games and run by App Store editors, a move that some suggest could be tied to gaming capabilities for an expected Apple TV hardware refresh.
Amazon on Thursday announced the acquisition of Elemental Technologies, a firm that provides video processing services for encoding and transcoding traditional media content for consumption smartphones, tablets and PCs.
Although its official debut isn't scheduled until October, Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs biopic will make an early showing at this weekend's Telluride Film Festival in Colorado.
Microsoft on Thursday released major updates of its Skype apps for iPhone and iPad, redesigning their interfaces for better ease-of-use and more visual appeal, while giving iPad users access to options like location sharing and interactive notifications.
Updated comScore analytics data published on Thursday suggests that Apple's U.S. smartphone share is still increasing in the U.S., despite the imminent arrival of new models.
Apple still has "a bit of homework to be done" throughout the rest of 2015 to improve Apple Music, including fixing problems with the service's interface and handling of local iTunes libraries, an iTunes International VP said on Thursday.
Apple's iMac lineup will gain a smaller 21.5-inch model with a 4K-resolution Retina display in the coming months, likely at the company's annual October media event, a new report claims.
Judge denies Apple a retrial in Smartflash suit, but upholds decision to toss $533M damages against Apple
A Texas federal judge has refused to grant Apple a new trial in its fight against a Smartflash patent infringement lawsuit, but simultaneously declined to reconsider a decision to toss $532.9 million in damages that were originally awarded to Smartflash.
When Apple announces its next-generation iPhones next week in San Francisco, the sales pitch for consumers will almost certainly include Force Touch, a new color option, and upgrades for Touch ID and the already class-leading camera system.
Apple has showed continued interest in using hydrogen fuel cell technology to power its portable devices, echoing a functional iPhone 6 powered by hydrogen that was showcased just last week.
New iMac displays said to improve color saturation via LED phosphor, sales could reach 1M this quarter
Apple is soon expected to debut new models of its all-in-one iMac lineup with improved displays — an upgrade that one analyst has predicted will drive sales this quarter to 1 million units.
Japan Display CEO Mitsuru Homma dropped some clues regarding Apple's upcoming iPhone release on Thursday, saying his company's biggest client, widely thought to be Apple, is increasing orders despite a soft Chinese market.
A federal court judge has green-lit a joint $415 million settlement in an anti-poaching lawsuit involving Apple, Google, Intel and Adobe, officially bringing the years-long case to a close.
After putting iPad 4 into operation as an electronic flight bag in 2013, then iPad mini 3 for in-flight cabin services this year, U.S. airline JetBlue is turning to Apple's tablet platform to aid aircraft maintenance technicians.
Wednesday, September 02, 2015
According to fresh statistics from analytics firm App Annie published on Wednesday, social media giant Facebook is responsible for four of the top ten most downloaded iOS apps of all time, with Google and Apple titles in tow.
A set of photos posted to the Web on Wednesday supposedly show a next-generation iPhone partially assembled from leaked parts being measured with a pair of calipers, revealing the device is slightly larger than current models in all dimensions.
Google is reportedly planning to host a Sept. 29 press event in San Francisco, at which it will reveal two new Nexus smartphones running Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Apple on Wednesday revealed more information about its upcoming Apple Music Festival slated to kick off later this month, adding The Weeknd, The Chemical Brothers, James Bay, Leon Bridges and Take That to the list of artists set to perform live in front of UK fans.
Motorola on Wednesday introduced two new versions of its Moto 360 smartwatch, including a second-generation flagship device and separate edition specifically for fitness, the Moto 360 Sport.
The recent launch of Apple Music — while important to the future development of iTunes — is also thought to be part of a larger effort to push consumers toward Apple's long-rumored web television service by softening the ground for monthly subscriptions.
CBS on Wednesday announced that it will stream the Super Bowl, the AFC playoffs, and two regular-season NFL games to a wide range of devices and platforms, including Apple TV, for free, with no authentication required.
When its News app launches this fall alongside iOS 9, Apple will have over 50 publishing partners on board, a report revealed on Wednesday.
Current and future Apple Watch owners will reportedly have a number of new color options to choose from when picking out a Sport Band for their wearable, as Apple is said to have prepared an expanded range of color options that will be unveiled on Sept. 9.
- Hulu launches $12 'ad-free' streaming tier to fend off Netflix, other rivals
- New adware scripts mouse clicks to access OS X Keychain, could lead to password theft
- Apple Pay picks up 18 more US banks ahead of Sept. 9 press event
- Deals: $219 off Apple's new 13" MacBook Pro (256GB), 64GB iPad Air 2 for $430, 11" MacBook Air for $730, 13" Air with 2TB My Passport for $928
- Next-gen Apple TV priced at $149, will include universal search for finding content across providers
- Piper Jaffray sees 'Apple Car' as longterm project with potential short-term effect on stock
- Rumor: Apple considering going back to 'glass-to-glass' touch panels for 2016 iPhones
- Intel announces Skylake processor lineup with new Core M subfamilies, speed & graphics boosts
- Second Apple v. Samsung damages retrial set for March or April 2016
- Google's Android Wear for iOS confirmed incompatible with Apple's HealthKit
- LinkedIn overhauls mobile & Web messaging functions, Instagram makes enhancements to Direct
- Apple's latest Project Titan hires include staff from diverse automotive backgrounds
- Apple sought original content deals with Bill Simmons and Top Gear cast, reports say
- Documents reveal Apple's secretive next-generation retail store design [u]
- DJI's new iOS-compatible Phantom 3 drones land at Apple Store
- Nest introduces third-gen Thermostat with better display, Farsight wakeup
- Apple's iPad is key to visitor experience at new One World Trade Center Observatory
- Beats president Luke Wood now '100%' focused on Electronics division, targeting global expansion
- Amazon Prime Video adds offline viewing in iOS update
- New home for Apple Music exec Ian Rogers is French luxury giant LVMH
- One of Apple's first 'next-generation' US retail store designs will debut near Memphis
- Apple patents smart smoke detection system for iPhone
- Apple Pay transaction limit increased to 30 pounds in UK
- Google promises to dramatically shrink 4K bandwidth with upcoming VP10 video codec
- Apple eyes move into original video programming, report says
- Samsung's Gear S2 smartwatch features circular face, rotating bezel control
- T-Mobile cracks down on subscribers 'stealing' tethered data
- NFL Game Pass comes to Apple TV with updated app
- University of Oklahoma adopts Apple Pay at all campus terminals
- Apple CEO Tim Cook makes surprise appearance at Cisco's annual sales conference
- GT Advanced looks to slash workforce by 40% as part of bankruptcy plan
- Apple continues enterprise push with new Cisco partnership, will optimize networks for iOS
- Apple stock should return to $130 by end of 2015, says Brean Capital
- Apple releases 8th developer, 6th public betas of OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- 'KeyRaider' malware harvests 225,000 Apple IDs from jailbroken iOS devices
- Google's Android Wear gains compatibility with Apple's iPhone
- LG announces limited edition 23-karat gold 'Urbane Watch Luxe' smartwatch
- 'iPad Pro' parts shipments starting in Sept. with new display tech & suppliers - report
- Apple poaches lead Microsoft HoloLens audio engineer, seen as boost for augmented reality research
- Latest Apple Music ads debut during MTV VMAs, feature The Weeknd & playlists
Tuesday, September 01, 2015
Monday, August 31, 2015