Intel is ending production of its mobile Atom processors as the reality sets in of a mobile world where virtually all the profits are inhaled by devices sold by Apple and powered by the iPhone-maker's own custom Ax series Application Processors.
Saturday, April 30, 2016
MagSafe has long been a defining feature of Apple's market leading notebooks. Thanks to the Smart Connector charging capabilities first introduced by the new Logi Base dock for iPad Pro, Apple's iDevices now have their own convenient MagSafe equivalent.
This week on AI: Apple's no-good terrible quarter, a death in Cupertino, 'Apple Watch 2' rumors & more
In many ways the last week of April was a negative one for Apple, with disappointing financial results, a death on campus, and word of more labor abuses at a key supplier. Rumors did emerge, however, about plans for the "iPhone 7" and a second-generation Apple Watch.
Friday, April 29, 2016
As part of ongoing website redesign efforts, Apple on Friday launched a revamped Support Pages mini-site with a cleaner layout, easy to access topics links and responsive web assets supporting desktop and mobile browsing.
A contentious debate is brewing in Cupertino. Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller on Friday took to Twitter to inform tech plebes that Apple devices should never be pluralized, a stance in diametric opposition to beliefs held by CEO Tim Cook.
Apple forensics experts will attempt to extract data from an iPhone 6 used by missing Florida teen Austin Stephanos, who was presumed lost at sea some nine months ago, a lawyer representing the Stephanos family said Friday.
Months after the hiring was announced, Apple on Friday officially instituted Tor Myhren as the company's new VP of Marketing Communications, replacing Hiroki Asai, a now-retired 18-year veteran with the company.
Apple has quickly moved to overhaul the equipment installed at the San Jose, Calif., chip fab it acquired from Maxim Integrated Products in December, indicating that the purchase was a strategic priority for the company in its relentless drive to out-innovate its competitors.
New leather Apple Watch bands made by luxury fashion brand Coach could arrive as soon as Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in June, a new report has revealed.
Fiat Chrysler on Friday issued a free software update to owners of some 2013-, 2014-, and 2015-model vehicles, giving them access to Apple's Siri Eyes Free, which enables voice commands to an iPhone by tapping a button on the steering wheel.
Apple's iPad Pro is already surpassing the Microsoft Surface in the so-called "detachable" tablet market, though that market is still relatively small, according to a new research report.
Although Drake's new album Views From the 6 is launching today as an Apple Music exclusive, that exclusivity period is just one week long, according to the rapper.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on Apple's latest iMacs with AppleCare (up to $250 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to grab the lowest prices anywhere on all of Apple's latest iMacs with AppleCare, including the new iMac HD, iMac 4K and Late 2015 iMac with 5K Retina display. Save up to $250 instantly, with no tax in most states. Plus a free Canon AIO Photo printer with each 4K and 5K.
Friday, April 29, 2016
The U.S. Supreme Court has authorized a rule change that — barring intervention by Congress — will allow judges to issue search warrants for computers in any jurisdiction, instead of just the ones their courts oversee directly.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast reviews Apple's 12" MacBook, talks earnings, Smart Connector, 'iPhone 7' and more
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, we go hands-on with Apple's new early 2016 12-inch MacBook, talk Apple's soft earnings, discuss the Logi Base Smart Connector charger, and talk about 'iPhone 7' and the headphone jack.
Thursday, April 28, 2016
A report on Thursday claims the U.S. Federal Bureau of investigation spent less than $1 million on an exploit used to access an iPhone tied to last year's San Bernardino terror attack, far below a previously estimated sum of more than $1.3 million.
An Apple employee found dead at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., on Wednesday has reportedly been identified as a 25-year-old software engineer.
Apple in an update to its Apple Maps product on Thursday rolled out new coverage areas for Flyover and traffic services, while activating Spotlight Suggestions in three countries.
Apple's share repurchase program will exit a mandated quiet period on Friday—two days after the company reported earnings—enabling the company to resume buying back shares. Coincidentally, the company's shares were conveniently pushed down toward their lowest price of 2016 today.
Apple on Thursday released a new version of iMovie for the Mac, bringing several small but useful improvements, including three aimed at launching and browsing projects.
Apple on Thursday pushed out an update for the Android version of Apple Music, delivering support for music video playback and new billing options for families.
Walmart on Thursday updated its Vudu iOS app with support for 3D Touch and iOS 9's Picture-in-Picture mode, while messaging service Telegram expanded its use of 3D Touch across the board.
Sportscar maker Porsche has announced support for Apple's CarPlay in the 718 Cayman and 718 Cayman S, which are now on sale, but only shipping to dealers in late November.
Billionaire Carl Icahn, who has used his financial clout to influence boardroom decisions at publicly traded companies, announced on Thursday that he no longer owns shares in Apple, just days after the company announced its first revenue decline in over a decade.
Google parent Alphabet may soon have a major ally in its push toward autonomous vehicles, as the company is said to be "in the late stage of talks" with London-based Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
Apple shipped about 2.2 million Apple Watches in the March quarter, although it still saw its share of the smartwatch market slip to 52.4 percent, according to research estimates published on Thursday.
The U.S. House of Representatives has voted unanimously to pass the Email Privacy Act, a bill that has the backing of a coalition of major technology businesses including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo.
Textual ambiguity may be a thing of the past if Apple adopts one of its newly-published patent applications, a system which will inform the person on the other end of the line when autocorrect has been at work.
Volkswagen is talking with external partners about launching so-called digital mobility businesses, but is not in any negotiations with either Apple or Google, the carmaker's CEO said on Thursday, pointing to a different direction for its self-driving car efforts.
The newly launched August Smart Lock includes support for Apple's HomeKit, allowing users to lock, unlock and check the status of their door lock with voice commands using Siri.
Apple on Thursday flipped the switch on its new CareKit framework, a health-minded platform that lets developers build advanced software solutions for tracking, managing and reporting medical conditions.
Philips on Thursday released a "Gen 2" Hue app for iOS, updating the tool for its HomeKit-enabled smartbulbs with new features like Routines, and extra options for controlling rooms and scenes.
An Indian government committee this week recommended Apple be exempted from local sourcing regulations that previously kept the company from opening its own brick-and-mortar retail outlets in the country.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
Samsung Electronics reported Q1 operating profits of 6.68 trillion won ($5.81 billion), while its Mobile division reported 3.89 trillion won ($3.38 billion) in profits, both a fraction of the "disappointing" $13.987 billion in operating profits Apple reported for the same quarter.
As promised, AMC this week launched a tvOS app with a content selection mirroring that of its iOS app and web portal, including free-to-stream episodes of hit shows like "The Walking Dead" and "The Night Manager."
The FTC is expanding its investigation into Android related to complaints that Google is exploiting its ostensibly open platform to shut out rivals.
Back in November, theatrical performer Mike Daisey was given the opportunity to write about Apple in the Technology section of the The Guardian. He's now claiming "reverse claim chowder," insisting that some of what he wrote about actually turned out to be true, given Apple's recent earnings report showing the first decrease in year-over-year, quarterly iPhone revenues.
A pair of videos posted to YouTube are some of the first to show an up-close look at the main "spaceship" building on Apple's Campus 2 headquarters, including views of the structure's inner courtyard and underground access tunnels.
Apple's research and development spending spiked at an all time high of more than $2.5 billion during the second quarter of 2016, with the unusually large $600 million year-over-year jump owing primarily to new hires and related expenses, Apple said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
- ANZ is first Australian bank to support Apple Pay
- Google updates Maps for iOS with Travel Times widget, Philips teases new Hue control app
- FBI says San Bernardino iPhone hack won't be submitted to review group for possible disclosure
- 3rd beta of iOS 9.3.2 seeded to public, developers get OS X 10.11.5 beta 3 & tvOS 9.2.1 beta 2
- iPhone's global marketshare falls to 15.3% in March quarter amid tough Chinese competition
- Dead body found at Apple's Infinite Loop headquarters [ux3]
- Rumored 'iPhone 7 Plus' schematic shows dual-lens camera & Smart Connector, lacks headphone jack
- Review: Apple's 2016 12" MacBook is a welcome improvement, but won't change any minds
- Wall Street remains optimistic about 'iPhone 7' & Apple's 2017 after Q2 declines
- TSMC sales to Apple rose nearly $2 billion in 2015 as chip battle with Samsung continues
- Intel pushes USB-C as headphone jack's successor
- Nintendo's 'Fire Emblem' & 'Animal Crossing' franchises coming to phones, tablets
- Microsoft appears to be copying Apple's 2014 Continuity Handoff feature for Windows PCs
- FBI's first vulnerability tip to Apple came on April 14 for already-patched flaw
- Apple CEO Tim Cook optimistic on China despite 26% dip in revenue
- Apple faces constrained iPhone SE supply on surprise demand
- Apple services stand out as bright spot in otherwise rough Q2
- Apple Music surpasses 13M paid subscribers on strong services growth
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2016 conference call
- Apple adds $50B to capital return program, increases quarterly dividend by 10%
- iPhone sales fall to 51.2M, Apple earns $50.6B in revenue in disappointing March quarter
- FBI still deciding whether to allow review of San Bernardino iPhone exploit
- Google mimics Apple Watch with conveniently swappable 'Mode' Android Wear bands
- Dropbox's 'Project Infinite' will let users browse cloud files without syncing locally
- Apple drops third iOS 9.3.2 beta for developers
- Google joins Uber, Ford, others to advocate self-driving car adoption
- Nokia buys health & fitness gear maker Withings in deal worth $192 million
- What Smart Connector charging could mean for the 'iPhone 7' and beyond
- iPhones sold in India will require panic button starting in 2017
- Wells Fargo believes 'iPhone 7' will reaccelerate Apple growth, sell 80M+ this holiday
- First look: Logi Base is the first device to charge your iPad Pro via Smart Connector
- Apple by itself earns +40% of the profits of Silicon Valley's top 150 companies
Tuesday, April 26, 2016