Zerodium, a well-known "bug broker," on Thursday announced a new $1.5 million top end limit for zero-day exploits targeting iPhones and iPads running Apple's latest version of iOS 10.
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Adding to an already successful mobile app offering, television network The CW updated both its iOS and tvOS apps on Thursday with new features like AirPlay support and the ability to stream shows without a cable login.
Two weeks after Adobe brought DNG image file format support to iOS with Lightroom for mobile, the company on Thursday updated its app to take full advantage of Apple's new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
With the release of iOS 10, Apple's Game Center service no longer has its own dedicated application. Instead, actions like adding friends or inviting them to a game are handled by individual games themselves, routed through Apple's expanded Messages app.
Some iPhone 7 owners are encountering trouble with Bluetooth connections in BMW vehicles, and/or LTE connections to Verizon, according to complaints on Apple's support forums and tips to AppleInsider.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has voted to make a broad swath of improvements to the Wireless Emergency Alerts system, upgrading messages with more content and detail, including some limited interactive elements.
In a survey performed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, 12 percent of consumers have intentions to purchase Apple's wireless AirPods, possibly leading to billions in sales for Apple.
Though it's an ad for the newly released iPhone 7, Apple's latest TV commercial is actually pushing a feature found on all devices that can run iOS 10: expressive texts in the Messages app.
After a bruising battle with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a contentious debate over encryption in the wake of the San Bernadino terrorist shooting, Apple has doubled down on privacy protection by researching cutting-edge privacy techniques for iOS 10, allowing advanced new features while protecting user data.
Random House has debuted the first volume in a series of enhanced editions of George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels, exclusively on Apple's iBooks marketplace.
Despite strong encryption — and claims that it "doesn't scan your communications" or "store data related to customers' location" — Apple is saving some metadata from iMessage and other apps and sharing it with law enforcement agencies, according to a new report.
Six companies including Microsoft and Google have launched a cross-disciplinary partnership to steer the future of artificial intelligence development, but as of yet, Apple has not signed on.
Apple has silently added traffic data for Maps users in four more European nations, namely the microstates of Malta, Monaco, San Marino, and Liechtenstein.
AppleInsider readers upgrading to a new iPhone or Apple Watch this month can use an exclusive promo code to tack on an additional $10 bonus to existing payouts of up to $300 when selling their old Apple devices to BuyBackWorld. Plus, lock in a cash payout today and hold onto your old device until Halloween.
BreakingAll 2017 iPhones likely to have glass casing, stainless steel edges may be limited to high-end models
With the glossy jet black iPhone 7 leading the way in sales, Apple is expected to switch to a more scratch-resistant all-glass finish for the front and back of a 2017 iPhone redesign, with stainless steel edges, rather than aluminum, for premium models.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Apple's senior VP of internet software and services, Eddy Cue, sat down for an interview with rock musician Bruce Springsteen on Wednesday night, who appeared at Apple's SoHo store in New York City to promote his new autobiography Born to Run.
Deals: $150 off 256GB 13" MacBook Pro; up to $220 off first-gen Apple Watches; 1TB storage for life now $39
Shoppers in the market for a 13" MacBook Pro can pick up the 2.7GHz model with 256GB of space for $1,349 and save $50 on AppleCare. First-gen Apple Watches are also $200-$220 off, while Zoolz Complete Cloud Storage is 98% off.
According to Chinese media, Apple is launching its first research and development center in the country, located in long-time technology incubation area Zhongguancun Science Park, Beijing.
Apple Watch invention enables True Tone display tech by measuring ambient light through a user's skin
Smartwatches perhaps more than any other portable device would benefit from power saving and color adjustable displays, but squeezing the requisite ambient light sensor that serves as the basis of such technology into an already stuffed chassis is a difficult proposition. Apple might have solved the problem, however, with a sensor capable of detecting light reflected through flesh.
Apple CEO Tim Cook is slated to sit down with U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch this Friday in a Q&A session that will cap off the senator's Utah Tech Tour, an event created to shine a light on the state's technology community.
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Famed New York City restauranteur Danny Meyer is outfitting floor managers and sommeliers at upscale eatery Union Square Cafe with Apple Watch hardware, a tech-meets-hospitality integration that could shape the future of restaurant services.
Skype on Wednesday became the latest app to take advantage of Apple's new iOS 10 APIs, with the popular VoIP product now supporting both Siri commands and CallKit for a completely integrated experience.
Potentially further consolidating the streaming audio business, Spotify is said to be in discussions to purchase user-driven music and podcast hosting service SoundCloud.
As promised, Apple on Wednesday activated backend machinery for Search Ads, a new feature in iOS 10 that allows developers to purchase promotional ads which show up in iOS App Store searches.
Samsung's standing with consumers became all the more tenuous on Wednesday when the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned owners of potential "safety issues" related to the company's top-loading washing machines.
While reports have consistently suggested the new MacBook Pro with Touch ID fingerprint sensor and OLED touch bar will debut this fall, exactly when in the fall has been a lingering question. A new report Wednesday aims to clarify that rather large window, singling out a late October release for the redesigned notebook.
Apple continues to move into enterprise information technology, with a new partnership with Deloitte formed to help businesses utilize the iOS ecosystem of hardware, software and services in the workplace.
Apple's newly released iOS 10 improves multitasking on the iPad by offering a new split-screen mode in Safari, allowing users to have two tabs open side-by-side simultaneously.
In terms of customer satisfaction, at least, Apple Music is the top-rated streaming music service, J.D. Power said in its first Streaming Music Satisfaction Study, published on Wednesday.
The Beats Solo3 headphones are virtually identical in appearance to the Beats Solo2, but the W1 chip in the newer model boosts battery life and simplifies the pairing process with an iPhone 7.
Apple has allegedly invited a bevy of third party security experts and device hackers to its headquarters to break down the details of the previously announced bug bounty program for macOS and iOS.
Edward Majerczyk of Illinois has become the second person to plead guilty in 2014's "Celebgate" scandal, which saw the leak of nude photos and other private data from hundreds of people, including many female celebrities.
After yet another unprofitable quarter, BlackBerry CEO John Chen has announced that the company will rely on partners for hardware, will no longer design smartphones internally, and will shift to a services-only model to insure the company's survival.
Consolidating a number of offices around London, Apple plans to open a new British headquarters inside an iconic decommissioned power station on the south bank of the River Thames.
Apple has quietly added a second Brazilian city, Sao Paulo, to the list of places with public transit coverage in the native Maps apps for iOS and macOS.
Yet more supply chain reports are escaping China, with the most recent ones from touchscreen suppliers suggesting that Apple continues to increase component orders for the iPhone 7 family of devices far in excess of original quantities.
Imaging specialist DxO recently wrapped up its evaluation of Apple's iPhone 7, noting the new smartphone flagship raises an already high bar set by previous models thanks to Digital Cinema (DCI-P3) color gamut support, class-leading image stabilization, fast autofocus and other enhancements.
- Occipital brings room-scale VR to iPhone with $500 dev kit headset
- First look: DJI touts Mavic Pro drone's compact design, spotlights continued partnership with Apple
- Spotify debuts 'Daily Mix' to compete with Apple Music's 'For You'
- Health insurer Aetna to offer customer & employee discounts on Apple Watch
- New macOS Sierra 10.12.1 betas available to developers & public
- Honeywell intros Lyric T5 thermostat ready for Apple's HomeKit
- DJI launches ultraportable iOS-connected Mavic Pro camera drone for $999
- MLB At Bat adds video highlights in Notification Center, other iOS 10 enhancements
- Inside the iPhone 7: Apple's Taptic Engine, explained
- New Galaxy Note 7 fire raises worries Samsung didn't fix battery problems
- Apple patents laser mapping system, hybrid mechanical-capacitive keyboard, invisible I/O connectors
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Apple reveals algorithm behind Apple Music mixes, execs discuss past and future of service
- Apple to reveal fiscal Q4 2016 earnings on Oct. 27
- Drake's 'Views' exceeds 1B streams on Apple Music
- Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Drake debuts new short film as Apple Music exclusive
- Plex Cloud beta launches, uses Amazon Drive subscription to store user media
- Deals: $200 off 15" MacBook Pro; up to $200 off 2016 12" MacBooks; 93% off iOS 10 dev course; Pay what you want for a Mac app bundle
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]
- Apple's health hires geared towards sharing, interpreting data, including new Watch apps
- Piper Jaffray downplays reports of bad iPhone 7 sales, sees similarities to iPhone 6 launch
- Pegatron CEO slams analysts, 'cautiously optimistic' about Apple iPhone 7 sales
- KGI: iPhone 7 won't sell as well as the iPhone 6s
- This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch Series 2 review, McLaren buyout rumors, macOS Sierra launch & more
- Apple celebrates grand opening of first retail store in Mexico
- Forensics firm says backups easier to crack in iOS 10, Apple promises fix
- Review: Apple Watch Series 2 is a great improvement, but watchOS 3 steals the show
- Snapchat announces Spectacles video-recording sunglasses, available this fall for $130
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Monday, September 26, 2016
Sunday, September 25, 2016
Saturday, September 24, 2016