Adding to the bevy of updates, Apple on Monday released watchOS 3.1.3 and tvOS 10.1.1, the former being Apple's first Watch update since the botched 3.1.1 code from December.
Monday, January 23, 2017
In conjunction with iOS, tvOS, and watchOS updates, Apple has also released the 10.12.3 update to macOS Sierra, bringing GPU driver updates to the 2016 MacBook Pro, and a fix for PDF corruption.
Wrapping up weeks of beta testing, Apple on Monday released the completed version of iOS 10.2.1, a minor update for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
One of the continuing advantages of Google Maps over Apple's native iOS Maps app is better support for going offline — something particularly important when going on vacation, traveling through rural areas, or otherwise passing through regions with weak internet access. Here's how to take advantage of those offline functions on your iPhone or iPad.
Apple chip supplier Qualcomm could take a major financial hit if the former decides to withhold royalties until its $1 billion lawsuit is finished, an analyst noted on Monday.
An ice fishing accident has led to an unexpected demonstration of the iPhone 7's water resistance capabilities, after an iPhone 7 Plus was retrieved from the bottom of a frozen-over river, and found to be in perfect working order.
Deals: $250 off 15" MacBook Pros; $300 off 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar & AppleCare; DJI Phantom 3 4K for $499
Kicking off the week, readers can snap up a Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro for $2,149. Or opt for a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and AppleCare for $1,748.99 with promo code. B&H is also taking $300 off the DJI Phantom 3 4K drone today only with no tax outside NY.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Owing to precautions set up in the wake of the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung's next rival to the Apple iPhone — the Galaxy S8 — won't be revealed at late February's Mobile World Congress show in Barcelona, the company's mobile head revealed on Monday.
Apple has shut down a second dedicated Apple Watch gallery, with the closure of the boutique store in the Galeries Lafayette shopping center in Paris taking place weeks after a similar Apple Watch pop-up shop in London closed.
Apple has indeed picked Wistron to be its first iPhone manufacturer in India, with plans to get the company working phones launching later this year, a report claimed on Monday — despite Apple having not yet secured a deal to set up Indian manufacturing.
Apple is looking into claims by a number of AirPods owners that the audio accessories have connectivity issues, with the Bluetooth connection temporarily dropping during phone calls, yet not during music playback.
Sprint has announced that it has forged a deal for 33 percent ownership of music streaming service Tidal, and as part of the deal, Sprint customers will receive "exclusive artist content" not available anywhere else.
Sunday, January 22, 2017
Apple's main manufacturing partner, Foxconn, is considering the possibility of a $7 billion joint investment in an automated display production facility in the U.S., the latter company's chairman said on Sunday.
Samsung has concluded its investigation involving the 2016 Galaxy Note 7 fires, and has determined that two different flaws resulted in the conflagrations in the failing devices, with one creeping in after a too-quick investigation.
AppleInsider delves into the newly re-written Terminology app, which provides definitions for words highlighted within other apps.
Backing up your data to prevent loss in the case of digital disaster couldn't be much easier, but there are choices to make, and things you should to to guarantee safety. AppleInsider looks at some of your options, and helps you choose.
Saturday, January 21, 2017
Apple is developing advanced biometric security technologies, including facial recognition and optical fingerprint sensing designs, to replace the vaunted Touch ID module implemented in all iPhones and iPads since the release of iPhone 5s.
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga has paid a visit to the Apple Yokohama City Tsunamshima artificial intelligence development site, now confirmed by the official to open in March.
Responding to some of the harsh claims in Apple's more than $1 billion lawsuit, chipmaker Qualcomm has issued a statement of its own saying the allegations are "baseless" and accusing Apple of provoking "regulatory attacks" in the U.S. and South Korea.
Apple is expected to replace current 3D Touch technology with a new design based on thin film sensors when it introduces a next-generation iPhone with OLED display, according to noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Perhaps the star rumor this week was that this year's OLED iPhone will actually have 5.8-inch wraparound screen, rather than the 5.1- to 5.2-inch size previously hinted. It was a busy news period overall though, including lawsuits with Qualcomm, major Logic and GarageBand updates, and teases of future MacBooks plus a second-generation Apple Pencil.
Friday, January 20, 2017
Apple gross margin likely impacted by alleged $1B Qualcomm 'extortion,' but lawsuits might lead to better chip deals
Ruminating on Apple's recently announced lawsuit against Qualcomm for allegedly withholding $1 billion in vendor rebates, RBC Capital Markets analyst Amit Daryanani believes the consequent hit to Apple gross margin could help the company in the long run.
Apple earlier today filed a patent royalty lawsuit against Qualcomm, alleging the firm failed to pay owed rebates in retaliation for Apple's part in a Korean antitrust investigation. The claims goes further, however, accusing the chipmaker of partaking in unsavory business practices, from price-gouging to extortion.
After shutting down social networking features last week, Vine on Friday made good on a promise to activate what it calls the Vine Archive, an online browsable repository of all user content created during the service's four-year run.
Potentially fulfilling a long-standing iPhone and iPad feature request, FaceTime might finally support group video calls with iOS 11, a report claimed on Friday.
Record labels are getting a better deal on streaming music royalties with Apple than major rival Spotify, according to a report, with Apple Music streaming rates claimed to be nearly double what is paid out by its main competition.
Our exclusive deals keep rolling in: This week, save $169 to $369 on current-generation 27-inch iMac 5Ks (Late 2015) paired with AppleCare extended protection plans, or take $169 to $269 off 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks paired with AppleCare. Alteratively, pick up an iMac 5K by itself for $1,674 or an iMac 4K for $1,324 — all with free shipping and no sales tax outside NY and NJ.
BreakingApple sues iPhone modem supplier Qualcomm, claims $1 billion in payments withheld over FTC probe
Apple on Friday filed a lawsuit against longtime iPhone modem supplier Qualcomm, in a dispute over royalty payments apparently connected to a federal investigation into the chipmaker's potentially anticompetitive business dealings.
Canada's Competition Bureau on Friday announced an agreement with Apple and three e-book publishers, allowing other sellers such as Amazon and Kobo to offer discounts on titles, despite the first group's attempts to keep prices higher.
OtterBox-owned LifeProof on Friday launched new versions of its waterproof Nuud cases, now tailored to Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
The world's largest asset management firm BlackRock has increased its holdings in Apple, with a regulatory filing revealing its total ownership in the company is now over 322 million shares, worth approximately $38.4 billion.
Shoppers this week can save $20 on 32GB and 64GB Apple TVs or $150 on Apple's latest 13-inch MacBook Pro without Touch Bar thanks to exclusive savings. Or snap up an upgraded 27" iMac 5K (3.2GHz, 32GB, 1TB, M380) at $200 off with free shipping and no tax collected outside NY and NJ.
Incoming U.S. President Donald Trump has reportedly had to switch from his old Android phone to a new device, potentially a modified Apple iPhone.
A small cache of 30,000 Apple shares were sold by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook this week as part of a scheduled trading plan, with Cook receiving a total of $3.6 million from the company stock sale.
After using Apple's Calendar app, you may be on the hunt for another — Timepage by Moleskine may fit your bill. AppleInsider offers a closer look at how it works.
TipsHow to watch the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump live on your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump is due to be sworn into office later today, with opening remarks beginning at 11:30 a.m. Eastern time and the oath of office at noon. Here's how to watch it live on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.
Popular beauty app Meitu checks if iPhone is jailbroken, sends carrier data back to Chinese developer
One of the App Store's top downloads — an app for creating Anime-style self portraits — is a potential privacy risk to its users, as researchers have discovered the app sends details about carrier, and whether the iPhone has been jailbroken, back to the developer.
Given the Apple iPhone user base expansion, Apple's Services business led by the App Store is forecast to not only be the prime mover of Apple's income expansion, but also be the largest contributor to gross margin improvements as well.
- Apple 'wish list' for Indian manufacturing includes breaks on taxes & duties for imports
- AppleInsider podcast talks about Apple and culture change, plus iPad rumors
- Deals: Apple Watch Series 2 in stock for $369; DJI Mavic Pro for $999 including tax; 512GB 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar for $1,899
- Simply Mac stores closing amid apparent corporate restructuring
- Apple updates pro video apps with bug fixes, feature additions
- Samsung to reveal cause of Galaxy Note 7 explosions on Sunday
- How to pair Apple's AirPods with iPhone and Mac
- Unicode committee to meet at Apple campus, discuss addition of redhead emoji
- How to add and switch between Instagram accounts on iPhone
- Apple provides new iOS design resources compatible with Photoshop and Sketch
- Samsung 'Galaxy S8' assistant Bixby said to use camera-based visual search to take on Siri
- Apple News gets extended formatting options for creators, refreshed tutorial
- In final days in office, Obama's White House uses words of Steve Jobs to woo techies
- NHTSA closes investigation into fatal Tesla Autopilot accident, says no defect to blame
- Android users will need to wait 3 months for 'Super Mario Run' after iOS-exclusive debut
- Google struggling to meet consumer demand for iPhone 7 rival Pixel
- Component supplier Lite-On reportedly supplier of wireless charging components destined for 'iPhone 8'
- Apple & Amazon end exclusive audiobook deal to escape German antitrust complaints
- Rumor: Apple's trio of new iPads may not launch until second half of 2017
- Apple detailed Indian iPhone manufacturing demands to Modi in October letter
- Nintendo says Fire Emblem mobile game 'coming soon' to iOS
- Post-holiday iPhone sales fears 'overblown,' analyst says
- South Korean court denies arrest of Samsung chief
- iRig Pro I/O, iRig Acoustic Stage gives musicians more guitar recording options
- Hulu CEO promises offline viewing in coming months as iOS app gets user profiles
- Football fans can stream Super Bowl 51 live with Fox Sports Go on iOS, Apple TV
- Apple TV, iPhone, iPad gain ability to play Netflix movies directly in TV app
- Apple's latest products add support for Japan's GPS successor QZSS
- 'Fruitfly' malware patched by Apple relies on 'ancient' Mac system calls
- Apple updates Logic Pro X with Touch Bar support, GarageBand for iOS with new options & interface
- Rumor: Apple Pencil 2 coming this spring with magnets to attach to iPad, plus pocket clip
- Apple Pay picks up more card issuers in US, France & Australia
- CBS Sports Radio streaming added for Apple Music subscribers
- Class-action suit demands Apple add lock-out system to iPhone to prevent texting while driving
- Former Apple engineer says company more rigid, less competitive under Tim Cook than Steve Jobs
- Foxconn looking to build Apple prototype manufacturing facility in Shenzhen - report
- President-elect Trump says Apple's Cook wants to 'do something major' to build iPhones in USA
- Next-generation LG and Google Android Wear 2 smartwatch may have Apple Watch-inspired Digital Crown
- Stanford program offers 1,000 Apple Watches, funding for healthcare research proposals
- India promises 'open mind' when looking at Apple demands for local manufacturing
- New supply chain reports lend weight to 'wraparound' 5.8-inch 'iPhone 8' with embedded sensors
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Wednesday, January 18, 2017