A hacker group attempting to hold Apple ransom with claims it has hundreds of millions of iCloud credentials in its possession recently sent a batch of 54 UK-based accounts for testing, all of which were deemed legitimate.
Friday, March 24, 2017
CalDigit is partnering with AppleInsider this week to give readers the chance to win one of three TS3 Lite docks featuring dual Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports, Gigabit Ethernet, DisplayPort and more.
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Apple issued a statement in response to Thursday's WikiLeaks release of CIA-gathered iPhone and Mac exploits, saying a preliminary assessment reveals the vulnerabilities to be years old and long since patched.
A set of photographs taken during Apple's 1984 announcement of the Apple IIc surfaced online on Thursday, showing company cofounders Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak taking part in a media bonanza that would serve as a model of contemporary Apple keynotes.
Apple this week announced a minor iPhone SE refresh, upping storage of the 4-inch handset to 32GB or 128GB while keeping prices steady at $399 or $499, respectively. The updated handset goes on sale Friday morning.
Google's algorithmic efforts to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful" are again facing a critical failure, calling into question confidence in the search giant's unfinished, buggy artificial intelligence that's currently stomping all over its mission statement.
Apple this week updated its list of banks and credit unions supporting Apple Pay with over 30 additions across the U.S., China, and Australia, most notably re-adding Santander in the U.S., which was mistakenly put on the list a month ago.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
A new interview with Beats 1 head Zane Lowe emphasizes Apple's message about how streaming is the future, and that Apple is possibly looking to expand live Beats-branded streaming radio stations even further.
This week, Apple expanded the lineup of band options for Apple Watch owners, including the ability to buy the Nike Sport Band on its own. AppleInsider offers fitness-focused Apple Watch users a first look at the add-on accessory.
While Apple and the iPhone ranked first in a survey of U.S. customer satisfaction with smartphones, the company's chief rival — Samsung — came second by only the slimmest of margins, according to a J.D. Power report published on Thursday.
Given all the talk in the news about a possible hacker mass-wipe of iCloud accounts, it seems only prudent for users to take precautions, and a good safety measure is two-factor authentication — AppleInsider shows you how to turn it on from your Mac or your iPhone.
A second batch of CIA "Vault 7" documents published by WikiLeaks reveals some penetration methods for Mac hardware in-use by the CIA, none of which are wide-reaching, requiring physical device access to implement.
Deals: 32GB Apple TV for $129 ($20 off); iPhone case blowout from $2.99; 13" MacBook Pro for $1,349 ($150 off)
Apple deals are rolling in this week with instant discounts on 4th gen 32GB Apple TVs ($20 off) and 13-inch MacBook Pros with function keys ($150 off). B&H is also slashing prices on iPhone 6/6s/Plus cases with free shipping and prices starting at $2.99. Quantities are limited, though.
Following the end of a successful pilot project, Wells Fargo will be opening up smartphone-based withdrawals at all 13,000 of its U.S. ATMs on Monday, March 27 — though support for Apple Pay isn't yet on the horizon.
Electroluxx is a reoccurring, technology-fueled creative art and dance party held at San Francisco's Public Works venue. Here's a look at the tech that goes into coordinating the event, building interactive projection art, visualizations, lighting, a wireless silent disco and Virtual Reality experiences.
A four-year-old boy in the United Kingdom saved his mother's life after she collapsed, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed, by unlocking his mother's iPhone and asking Siri to contact the emergency services.
The U.S. Attorney General coordinating the prosecution of 214 of the demonstrators arrested during the inauguration has declared that the cell phones, including iPhones, obtained during the arrests will be unlocked in the next few weeks.
Apple's Indian manufacturing will finally begin within the next 4 to 6 weeks at a Wistron plant in Bangalore — and more ambitious plans are already being hatched.
An Apple patent application published Thursday details a so-called "thin" portable hardware accessory that boasts the components necessary to act as a laptop surrogate for iPhones and iPads.
Apple in a statement late Wednesday responded to claims that a hacking group is threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones and iPads using stolen credentials, saying its own systems have not been compromised.
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Apple CEO Tim Cook took time out of his China tour this week to speak with a local news publication about the company's regional intentions, saying Apple is planting deep roots in the country, from job creation to economic and environmental investments.
Apple on Wednesday finalized a deal to acquire popular automation app Workflow and its three-member development team for an undisclosed sum, and is for now leaving the title on the App Store where it will be free to download.
The U.K. advertising backlash against Google is spreading to the United States. Mobile carriers AT&T and Verizon, Enterprise car rental and pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline are among the major ad buyers acting to distance their brands from the offensive and extremist content that saturates YouTube.
While the newly announced 9-7 inch iPad can be ordered from Apple's online store on Friday, users wanting to purchase it in Apple Retail stores or other large electronics stores will need to wait until "next week," according to Apple.
Starting in April, iPhone owners will be able to gift Starbucks purchases to others by way of the native iOS Messages app and Apple Pay, the coffee chain announced on Wednesday.
Google will soon start rolling out real-time location sharing for users of its Maps app for iOS and Android, offering a feature similar to Apple's Find My Friends, or Google's own defunct Latitude.
Extended! The Big AppleCare Sale: Save $50 to $130 on standalone AppleCare plans with no tax in 48 states
Extended by popular demand! Shoppers can save $50 to $130 on standalone AppleCare plans for MacBooks, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros and iMacs with free shipping at Apple authorized reseller Adorama. Plus, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ.
With the release of iTunes 12.6, Apple has restored the ability to open a playlist in a new window on macOS —- here's how to do it.
Hollywood studios are reportedly showing "greater flexibility" in negotiations with theater chains about the prospect of early movie rentals — something that could affect Apple, which is also allegedly pursuing early streaming via the iTunes Store.
With the last update to the iPad Air line over two years ago, how does Apple's new 2017 iPad compare to its predecessors? AppleInsider takes a look at the three statistically, to see how they stack up.
Marriott is currently testing both Apple's Siri and Amazon's Alexa at an Aloft hotel in Boston to gauge which assistant, if either, might be best for letting guests control their rooms through voice commands, a report said on Wednesday.
With the launch of Apple's 9.7-inch low-cost iPad line, as well as a new red iPhone 7 and 128GB iPhone SE, now is the time to trade in your old device and secure a cash bonus before values drop. BuyBackWorld is offering readers a $10 to $20 bonus on trades over $50, while Gazelle is giving customers 10% more for iPads valued over $75.
Hackers are allegedly trying to extort Apple by holding its customer's data for ransom, with threats to reset a number of supposedly compromised iCloud accounts and remotely wiping connected iPhones and iPads if they are not paid.
Apple's new red options for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus — which, through (Red), will contribute proceeds to the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS — lack that same charity branding on the company's Chinese website. [Updated with comment by CEO Tim Cook]
Code discovered within Apple's latest iOS 10.3 beta shows tools that will allow developers to run their apps at variable framerates, suggesting that higher-fidelity Apple Pencil support could be coming to the company's soon-to-arrive iPad Pro refresh.
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Amazon recently updated its Kindle iOS app with a new "Send to Kindle" feature that allows users to transfer and save web content to a Kindle device. The company also refreshed its Amazon Music app with support for Apple's CarPlay.
Just hours after Apple announced a special edition (Product)Red of its iPhone 7 and 7 Plus handsets, YouTuber Marques Brownlee received an iPhone 7 Plus variant and gave it the full unboxing and hands-on treatment.
Fulfilling recent predictions, Apple on Tuesday quietly added a few new devices to its product lineup, headlined by an entry-level 9.7-inch iPad with A9 processor and special edition (Product)Red iPhone 7 and 7 Plus handsets.
- Apple adds multiscreen movie rental viewing to iTunes in latest update
- Apple halts new iPad mini 2 sales, raising entry price barrier on iPads
- New Apple 9.7-inch iPad aimed squarely at iPad 2 owners looking to affordably upgrade
- With iPhone SE upgrade, Apple heralds the end of low-capacity 16GB iPhones
- Logitech announces schools-only Rugged Case & add-on keyboard for Apple's new budget iPad
- In-box band options for new Apple Watch buyers now limited to Sport, Milanese Loop
- Apple's Swift Playgrounds updates with support for five more languages
- Apple updates iPhone 7 silicone & leather cases with new colors
- In possible last gasp for iPad mini, Apple increases capacity to 128GB for $399
- New Apple 9.7-inch iPad thicker than iPad Air 2, returns to iPad Air dimensions
- Apple Watch Nike Sport band now sold separately for $49, joins new spring lineup
- New Apple Clips app aimed at social media video capture, quick editing
- Apple doubles iPhone SE storage capacities to 32 and 128 gigabytes
- Apple replaces iPad Air 2 with A9-equipped 9.7-inch iPad starting at $329
- Apple launches special edition (Product)Red iPhone 7
- Apple's Tim Cook visits local Chinese businesses, says translated Swift Playgrounds coming soon
- China vendor's promotional materials possibly reveals new red iPhone 7 model
- Apple patents shape changing device display for tactile interactions
- Apple online store goes down for scheduled maintenance, new hardware rumored
- Adobe launches Experience Cloud marketing and analytics solution, integrates with Creative Cloud
- Lowest Price Ever: Apple's high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar for $2,399 ($400 off) with no tax in 48 states
- Apple shares set all-time high on rumors of upcoming product release
- Apple Music sets new album streaming record 47% higher than Spotify, despite fewer users [u]
- China's LeEco backs out of Silicon Valley HQ less than a year after being hailed as "taking on Apple"
- Microsoft creates tool to help Apple users migrate data from Mac to Surface
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' to use 'water drop design' with curved, 3D glass back - report
- Samsung reveals new 'Bixby' AI assistant to take on Apple's Siri
- SoftBank CEO ditches investment plans for Android architect Andy Rubin's smartphone startup
- Apple's iPhone slipping in China because company won't adapt, says Oppo & Vivo founder
- macOS Sierra 10.12.4 eighth beta, watchOS 3.2 beta 7 available for developer testing
- Microsoft inserting ads into Windows 10 File Explorer
- Apple's online store will close Tuesday morning, fueling rumors of new products
- Samsung's Galaxy S8 & S8+ may occupy prices between Apple's 'iPhone 7s' & 'iPhone 8'
- Ready to fly a quadcopter? Here are the best drones for beginners
- Updated WebMD pregnancy app utilizes Apple's ResearchKit for long-term opt-in research
- Apple paid taxes from New Zealand revenues to Australia for the last 10 years - report
- TSMC pondering US location for $16B 3nm chip foundry for future iPhone, iPad models
- Citing 'powder keg' with coming 'iPhone 8,' Cowen sees shares of Apple reaching $155
- Apple's augmented reality team includes vets from Dolby, Oculus & more - report
- 'iPhone 8,' growing services business predicted to increase shares of Apple by 10%
- Mystery Apple 'wireless device' turns out to be door access system
- Four of the best casual photography and filter apps for iPhone
- Editorial: An ad-free, premium social network... from Apple
Monday, March 20, 2017
Sunday, March 19, 2017