Apple on Tuesday announced its CareKit development framework, designed to create apps that let healthcare professionals continue followup care with patients, is now integrated with Tresorit's ZeroKit, which provides end-to-end encryption of users' account credentials and their health data to the cloud.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Apple's recently released photo-book, "Designed by Apple in California," is now available in a number of additional global markets, continuing an expansion from what was initially a limited run.
Just over a year after AT&T raised rates for subscribers grandfathered in to unlimited data plans, the company once again intends to bump up prices another $5 per month come March.
Shortly after it was revealed that Swift creator Chris Lattner is planning to leave Apple later in January, Tesla on Tuesday announced it has hired the expert away from Cupertino to serve as Vice President of Autopilot Software.
The CEO of wireless speaker maker Sonos, John MacFarlane, is resigning from the company he founded in 2002 due to increased competition from the likes of Amazon and other wireless speaker makers, a move that could potentially influence a close partnership with Apple.
Apple's director in charge of Xcode, Swift, and other development tools — Chris Lattner — will be leaving the company later in January, according to an announcement through the official Swift mailing list.
Sports broadcaster ESPN has made it easier for viewers to watch its programming via its apps, with both the ESPN and WatchESPN iOS apps gaining support for Apple's single sign-on feature, as well as compatibility with Google Chromecast and more.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Foxconn, Apple's main assembly partner, on Tuesday declared its first-ever annual sales decline since going public in 1991, something reportedly linked to weak demand from Apple prior to the arrival of the iPhone 7.
The highly-popular iPhone game Pokémon Go will not be available in China anytime in the near future, until government officials complete an investigation into the potential risks posed by the game, as well as others using augmented reality and location data.
Battery tests conducted by Consumer Reports showing inconsistent uptime with Apple's new MacBook Pro were inaccurate, Apple said on Tuesday, explaining that the publication had enabled a hidden setting in its Safari browser.
If Apple does indeed switch to a Jabil-made stainless steel chassis for the "iPhone 8," the company could expand its comparatively small American supply chain and appease U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump, who has pushed for more domestic manufacturing.
Verizon Wireless will force unlimited data subscribers who use over 200 gigabytes of bandwidth per month to change their plan to one with a data cap, or face having their wireless service disconnected.
Activist group Greenpeace has deemed Apple the world's most environmentally-friendly technology platform company for a third consecutive year, ranking it highly even next to fellow "A" grade firms Google and Facebook.
Apple on Tuesday was granted a patent detailing technology that allows for ear speakers, cameras and even a heads-up display to hide behind an edge-to-edge screen, a design rumored to debut in a next-generation iPhone later this year.
A rumor out of East Asia on Tuesday suggests Apple might ditch aluminum for forged stainless steel in crafting its next-generation iPhone, lending credence to predictions of an "iPhone 8" with "glass sandwich" design.
Monday, January 09, 2017
Apple is planning to build a new underground flagship retail store in Milan's historic Piazza del Liberty, or Liberty Square, that will involve the construction of an outdoor amphitheater and stunning water features.
Apple is repurposing GT Advanced's former sapphire plant in Mesa, Ariz., to produce cabinets for its other data centers, according to a notice published by the U.S. government on Monday.
Rumors of Apple's intent to enter the augmented reality hardware space gained traction on Monday, as a report from AR/VR evangelist Robert Scoble claims the company is partnering with optics manufacturer Carl Zeiss on a pair of lightweight glasses.
In the past few months Apple has launched several new Bluetooth headphones — mostly under the Beats brand — with its proprietary W1 chip, enabling better connections and easier pairing with Apple devices. Which model you should buy, if any, will depend not just on your budget, but how you intend to use them.
Uber is giving urban planners and researchers the ability to look into some of the data generated by its ridesharing app, allowing cities to monitor and improve upon existing infrastructure.
The Carpool Karaoke segment introduced to the U.S. on The Late Late Show With James Corden will appear exclusively on Apple Music, and will feature Metallica, John Legend, Alicia Keys, and Ariana Grande in four of sixteen contracted episodes.
Finder for AirPods, an app designed to assist owners of Apple's AirPods in finding their audio accessory if it has been misplaced, was taken down from the App Store just a few days after it launched.
While a number of HomeKit-connected cameras were showcased at CES last week, Withings goes a step beyond just video, integrating an air quality monitor into its offering as well.
Apple on Monday pushed out a four-pack of new beta releases for all of its major platforms — all of which are expected to be minor updates to squash bugs and improve security.
Reports claiming Apple Stores can't repair the 2016 MacBook Pro because of a lack of diagnostic tools are false, as AppleInsider has been told that stores are fully equipped and trained to perform all required diagnostics and repairs necessary.
Facebook is reportedly preparing to test "mid-roll" advertising spots in non-live videos, in a move that would finally allowing video publishers to make serious revenue — if potentially at the expense of turning off some viewers.
Shoppers looking to pick up a brand-new 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar can save $150 on the high-end model in Silver ($2,649.99 after discount). Or save $50-$100 on 2016 12" MacBooks with no tax outside NY. Apple's 32GB 9.7" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only) is also $100 off at Amazon.
On the 10th anniversary of the iPhone's unveiling, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller reminisced on the past decade, talking about what the iPhone means to the company, how it has changed Apple over time, and the marks the device has made on the entire world.
An Apple team is reportedly scheduled to meet with senior Indian government officials on Jan. 25 in order to discuss demands for setting up manufacturing in the country, which could potentially pave the way for local Apple stores and more competitive pricing.
D-Link is under fire from the Federal Trade Commission for not doing enough to secure its products, including connected home devices — a threat Apple has countered via secure authentication chips in HomeKit-certified hardware.
After a series of social media posts celebrating the iPhone's 10th anniversary, WeChat founder Allan Zhang deployed a series of web apps for all smartphone users called "mini programs," in an attempt to combat Apple's dominance in the field and possibly collect some of the billions of dollars fed into the app economy in the future.
Foxconn-owned Sharp is reportedly planning to invest 100 billion yen, or about $864 million U.S., into setting up an OLED production line, amidst expectations that Apple's "iPhone 8" will switch from LCD display technology to OLED.
Ten years ago today, Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPhone during his keynote address at Macworld 2007. More than just a new product, the new device launched a radical new computing platform and rapidly accelerated the sophistication of mobile computing.
Sunday, January 08, 2017
This Monday, Jan. 9, will mark exactly 10 years to the day since the first iPhone was unveiled at the Macworld 2007 expo by Steve Jobs. Apple acknowledged the milestone a day early, on Sunday, with Tim Cook promising: "The best is yet to come."
Though it hasn't been updated since 2015, the 7.9-inch iPad mini won't be among the trio of new iPads Apple is expected to introduce this spring, instead sticking to larger form factors, according to a new report.
After initially announcing iOS support for the Gear S3 in August of 2015, Samsung has published apps for the Gear S2, Gear S3, and Gear Fit2 on the iOS App Store, making them compatible with the iPhone.
Saturday, January 07, 2017
There's a new gold rush in tech, related to voice assistance and a voice-first interface for everything we do at home, in the car and while out and about. What happens if the world's best positioned, most profitable tech company fails to capitalize on it?
- Apple's latest iPhone 7 Plus commercial showcases dual-lens 'Portrait' photo mode
- Hands-on: Apple CarPlay goes wireless over Wi-Fi with Alpine's iLX-107 receiver
- Hands-on: Alpine's splash-proof Apple CarPlay unit targets Jeep Wrangler owners
- Review: LG UltraFine 5K Display with Thunderbolt 3 for Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro
- Deals: $150 off 2016 13" and 15" MacBook Pros with Touch Bar; $350 off 2015 12" MacBook; $30-$60 off 9.7" iPad Pros
- This week on AI: CES 2017, MacBook takes a bullet, LG UltraFine 5K hands-on and more
- Apple forced to remove LinkedIn app from Russian App Store
- Apple MacBook Pro saves man from bullet in Florida airport shooting
- Apple celebrates Chinese New Year with original Nianhua folk art wallpapers made on Mac and iPad
- Leviton presents hub-free HomeKit in-wall dimmers, switches
- Hands-on: Fibaro's HomeKit-enabled flood, door/window, and motion sensors
- Video demonstrates old 'Acorn OS' interface considered for iPhone prior to iOS
- Two-year probe of Apple's alleged anti-competitive behavior shut down by Canadian government
- Focalcrest Mixtile Hub claims to bridge HomeKit, previously incompatible home automation devices
- Apple shareholder's meeting scheduled for Feb 28, nine proposals to be voted on
- CEO Tim Cook's compensation cut by $1.5M following Apple's 2016 decline in sales
- Apple camera lens manufacturer posts significant profit, shedding doubt on iPhone order cuts
- AppleInsider podcast at CES talks Apple HomeKit, tech trends, and the struggle to ship
- Altered Beats photo ad with silver iPhone 7 sparks hopes of official 'Jet White' model
- Downtown Brooklyn Apple store rumored, Fifth Ave cube renovations begin this month
- Quick take video review: LG's UltraFine 5K Display
- Apple confirms plans for first South Korean retail store in Seoul
- Instagram adds wide color gamut, Live Photos support to iOS app
- Apple CEO Tim Cook declines Ireland committee invite, branded as 'snub to Irish people'
- Apple's iOS 10 now on 3 out of 4 compatible devices
- Elago W3 Stand stand makes a charging Apple Watch look like a miniature Macintosh 128K
- Wacom grows macOS tablets with Intuos Pro, Intuos Pro Paper Edition; Bamboo Folio smartpad
- Alpine announces iLX-107 in-dash receiver with wireless Apple CarPlay
- Ecoxgear shows EcoJump iPhone-connected car jump starter, EcoBump emergency battery
- T-Mobile One plan simplified further, all additional charges now under single fee
- Henge Docks unveils trio of Thunderbolt 3 docking stations for Apple's 2016 MacBook Pros
- Honeywell embraces Apple HomeKit with Lyric Home Security and Control System
- OtterBox uniVERSE case expands to iPad Air 2, Speck Presidio clear case line debuts
- USA Technologies adding Apple Pay to more than 300,000 self-service machines across US
- Clarion NX807 car audio head unit launched, with Apple CarPlay support
- BACtrack unveils Apple Watch band with built-in blood alcohol monitor
- D-Link launches new HomeKit range with Omna 180 Cam HD security camera
- With Apple's 'iPhone 8' rumored to ditch home button, 'Galaxy S8' leak suggests Samsung following suit
- Apple's negotiations with India continue, government officials reluctant to give more tax breaks
- CalDigit launches Thunderbolt Station 3 dock with dual 4K support, Lite model
- Earin combats Apple's AirPods with new M-2 truly wireless earbuds
- Apple celebrates monumental 2016 App Store growth, $240M on New Years Day alone
- August Home announces mortise kit for smart lock, Logitech POP switch integration
- Hands-on: AirBar turns MacBook Air into a touchscreen laptop
- Yale smart locks get HomeKit integration with $75 module
Friday, January 06, 2017
Thursday, January 05, 2017