Once again this year, Apple is celebrating the holiday season with a 90-second, unconventional television spot showcasing how its products can be used to create thoughtful gifts that can strengthen relationships with others.
Sunday, December 14, 2014
San Francisco artist Elliott C. Nathan has been collaborating with visual effects designers and DJs to host an ongoing Sunday Mass dance party throughout 2014. Behind the art, there's a series of Mac and mobile iOS apps working to enhance visuals and organize the event.
Saturday, December 13, 2014
Apple's final quarter of 2014 is expected to set dramatic new records in iPhone sales and overall profits, but external issues out of the company's control will also play a part, ranging from cheaper oil to declining foreign currencies.
Prior to iOS 8, Apple required iTunes customers to purchase content on a per-account basis, but a new Family Sharing feature lets users living in the same household share apps, music, iBooks and more.
Friday, December 12, 2014
Google on Friday announced a new series of developer outreach videos called "Route 85," which looks to facilitate expanded use of Google's iOS SDKs in third-party app creations.
A former Apple engineer appeared in court on Friday as the final witness of an antitrust case involving the iPod and iTunes ecosystem, saying he worked on an internal project meant to box out competing digital stores and media players.
Apple's app review team caused a small fracas this week when it forced award-winning game "Papers, Please" remove pixelated nudity prior to a debut on iPad. But the company changed course on Friday, suggesting the game's developer resubmit the title with a user-selectable full nudity option.
Apple employee, rapper and producer Dr. Dre made an estimated $620 million before taxes this year, making him not only the top earning musician of 2014, but also the highest paid musician in a single year in history.
A newly launched iOS application dubbed "Workflow" enables users to drag and drop combinations of more than 100 different actions to create automated and complex workflows.
After Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. reportedly built the majority of A8 chips for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple is said to have begun turning back to Samsung for its next-generation "A9" processor, which is expected to power the company's 2015 iPhone lineup.
Ford has abandoned its troubled Microsoft Sync automotive infotainment system for a QNX-based platform that can support Apple's CarPlay with Hands Free Siri.
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Apple on Thursday updated its digital storefront to include PayPal as a valid method of making purchases, expanding customer options beyond credit and debit cards for the first time.
A group of more than 100 protestors, including civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson, convened at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus on Thursday to protest treatment of Silicon Valley contract labor and deliver a petition calling on the tech giant to set a trend toward reform.
Fallout from a massive Sony Pictures hack continues to provide nuggets of information about an upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, the latest being emails from screenwriter Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher, who was previously slated to direct the movie.
A vintage Apple-1 computer with documentation proving it was sold directly by late tech guru Steve Jobs for $600 in 1976 brought in $365,000 when the hammer fell at a New York auction on Thursday, falling short of estimates.
An update to Google's flagship search app for iOS on Thursday brings the company's new "material design" user interface and Google Maps integration, while a new version of Apple's TestFlight beta testing app fixes minor bugs.
FeatureMassive, sophisticated "Inception - Cloud Atlas" malware infects Windows and Android but can't exploit Apple's iOS without jailbreak
A vast and sophisticated new espionage campaign targeting "military, diplomats, and business execs," discovered by Blue Coat Labs and confirmed by Kaspersky Labs, exploits flaws in Microsoft Windows and seeks to infect Android, Blackberry and iOS devices, but is limited to only infecting iPhones and iPads that are jailbroken.
Apple on Thursday issued a minor update for its Safari Web browser for OS X, fixing issues related to syncing history across devices, as well as saving passwords in iCloud Keychain.
Apple's Canadian operations are under investigation from the country's Competition Bureau, which is looking into claims of anti-competitive deals struck with carriers in the Great White North.
Apple has apparently changed its mind on allowing "Send to iCloud Drive" functionality within apps, and has asked for the popular FTP application Transmit for iOS to be resubmitted to the App Store.
For leading Apple to continued financial success, introducing buzzworthy new product categories, and putting morals over profits, Tim Cook has been named "Person of the Year" by economic-focused newspaper the Financial Times.
Microsoft on Thursday debuted five new applications under its MSN banner for Apple's iOS, offering aggregated content from Bing covering a range of topics including news, sports and money.
Apple understands that device backups are only useful when the process is automatic and done regularly, which is why the feature is baked into iOS and handled by iCloud.
A questionable rumor out of Taiwan claims that Apple and manufacturing partner Quanta Computer are gearing up to begin mass production of the Apple Watch in January, and will manufacture a total of 24 million units in the first year.
ExclusiveExclusive Deals: 14 Macs at their lowest prices anywhere (up to $150 off MacBook Airs, $300 off MacBook Pros & $200 off iMacs)
In one of its final rounds of holiday exclusives, AppleInsider has teamed up with Apple Authorized Reseller B&H Photo to offer 14 different Mac configurations at the lowest prices anywhere, including up to $150 off 13" MacBook Airs, up to $170 off 13" MacBook Pros, up to $300 off 15 MacBook Pros, up to $200 off 27" iMacs & $400 off Mac Pros.
Adobe on Wednesday announced availability of updates to Adobe Camera Raw 8.7.1 and DNG Converter 8.7.1, bringing additional support for cameras and lenses, while patching minor bugs found in previous versions of the software.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Apple on Wednesday announced cellular-capable iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 models will be available in China later this week, offering support for region-specific wireless networks used by major telecoms like the world-leader China Mobile.
Investment bank Morgan Stanley on Wednesday agreed to pay the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission $4 million in fines for violating the market access rule when it allowed a rogue trader to fraudulently purchase some $1 billion of Apple stock in 2012.
Even with the holiday shopping season nearing its final stretch, Apple Authorized Resellers continue to introduce significant savings on some of the company's most popular products, such as a new offer that marks down a 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M) by a record $700.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
- United Airlines to deploy Apple's iPhone 6 Plus to more than 23,000 flight attendants worldwide
- Square merchants in the US post sales of $100M in a single day
- Apple seeds iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Nokia confirms Here maps will return to iOS next year
- Time's Person of the Year honor goes to 'the Ebola fighters,' not Apple CEO Tim Cook
- Gazelle's $20 cash bonus on working iPad trade-ins expires tonight
- PC makers may beat Apple to the punch with new 'fingerprint ID' sensors built into notebook touchpads
- Apple's discontinued iPod classic commands hefty premium on the secondary market
- IBM & Apple reveal first iOS apps in enterprise partnership, including travel, telecom, retail & government
- Bose products return to Online Apple Store in time for holiday shopping
- Google's Nexus 6 abandoned fingerprint sensor after failed attempt to catch up with Apple's Touch ID
- Apple lawyers say media only wants to show a 'dead man' in request for Steve Jobs deposition
- Apple Pay gets Fremont Bank, NIH Federal Credit Union support as iOS 8 distribution hits 63%
- 'iPod iTunes' antitrust case to continue on back of new lead plaintiff
- eBay updates iPad app with new look and features, offers special discounts on Apple accessories
- Tim Cook meets with Rev. Jesse Jackson to discuss corporate diversity
- Jeff Daniels linked to troubled Steve Jobs biopic, Sony leak shows Sorkin wanted Tom Cruise for lead role [u]
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2 with fixes for missing iTunes ringtones
- Apple TV gets overhauled YouTube app, adds new channels for UFC, DailyMotion & more
- Apple to add 7th NYC store next year with new Brooklyn location
- Major news outlets seek permission to broadcast Steve Jobs deposition in iTunes antitrust suit
- Apple to build major new R&D facility in Japan, prime minister reveals
- Apple's first patent reassignment from PrimeSense buy hints at 3D mapping on Apple TV, iPhone
Tuesday, December 09, 2014