Photos published on Saturday depict what are claimed to be rear shells for Apple's "iPhone 7" and "7 Plus" — and particularly, evidence of the new camera technology the devices are using.
Saturday, June 25, 2016
Right out of the box, you can tell that DJI's Phantom 4 is a complete reimagining of the entry-level lineup. From the sleek chassis to advanced automated controls, DJI has set a new standard, leaving competitors and its own legacy models in the dust.
With WWDC wrapped up for another year, attention turned back to future product rumors — and for once, the iPhone 7 didn't dominate the discussion.
Friday, June 24, 2016
Yesterday's referendum on the United Kingdom exiting the European Union was widely expected to fail, but instead surprised markets globally by narrowly passing. The Euro and British Pound both subsequently dropped significantly, and markets worldwide recoiled in shock. Here's a look at how will this affect Apple going forward.
Apple on Friday was slapped with yet another patent lawsuit leveled by a non-practicing entity, this time a renewed complaint dealing with VoIP technologies targeting FaceTime video and audio software.
As part of efforts to generate clean energy at its Campus 2 headquarters, Apple is investing in an array of environmentally friendly fuel cells installed by Bloom Energy, the same manufacturer that supplied units for the company's Maiden, N.C., data center.
Customers looking to purchase apps, music or e-books through found themselves out of luck on Friday as a handful of Apple's internet services were hit by an hours-long outage, the third such downtime to hit Apple's services this month.
The new data collection method set to roll out in iOS 10 will require users to opt in, and will be limited to four specific system functions, according to Apple.
FeatureInside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets new apps for Reminders, Home, Find My Friends & heart rate
The number of default Apple Watch apps will grow with the upcoming release of watchOS 3, gaining Reminders, Home, Find My Friends, as well as a separate heart rate app, and also adding watch face complications for each.
Despite killing the Thunderbolt Display without a replacement this week, Apple is still working on a successor — one that will reportedly have its own separate integrated graphics card, likely to push a high-resolution Retina display.
Honda on Friday announced that the 2017 Accord, going on sale June 27, will be available with an upgrade supporting Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto.
Apple surprised many this week by abruptly discontinuing the Thunderbolt Display without announcing a replacement. But, as Apple pointed out, "there are a number of great third-party options available for Mac users." With that said, AppleInsider has compiled a list of the top Thunderbolt-alternative displays for Macs that are available today.
Putting itself in direct competition with Facebook and Twitter, YouTube is now in the beginning stages of rolling out live video streaming from its main mobile app.
Starting with iOS 10, the Photos app on your iPhone and iPad will automatically scan your pictures for faces and places, making it easier to find the shots you're looking for. It'll even group them into collections, and quickly automate creation of a view to relive your memories. AppleInsider offers a closer look at how it all works.
Netflix is developing a long-awaited option to download some content for offline viewing, according to an executive described as an industry insider.
While this year's Apple Watch upgrade is expected to feature largely the same OLED display as its predecessor, the wearable smartwatch could see a major overhaul next year, with Apple said to be investigating micro LED technology for a future model.
This week on the AppleInsider Neil and Victor to talk about his experiences with beta iOS 10 and watchOS 3 features. They also wrap up all the current iPhone rumors.
Grammy Award-winner Adele's latest album, "25," was made available for streaming through a variety of services at midnight on Friday, including Apple Music and Spotify, some seven months after initial release.
Thursday, June 23, 2016
Huawei, the second largest Android phone maker in market share behind Samsung, is "secretly developing an alternative mobile operating system" in a bid to hedge its bets against Google's increasingly assertive control over Android.
In an addition to its developer resources mini-site on Thursday, Apple posted a profile of "Lifeline" developer 3 Minute Games, highlighting how the studio found success with the iOS App Store's paid business model.
After going years without update, Apple has decided to discontinue the Thunderbolt Display, marking an end to the company's current first-party monitor product line and sparking speculation that a high-resolution replacement is in the offing.
The new Apple File System announced at WWDC highlights how the company is planning for the future. Here's a look under the hood at what the company will use to replace HFS+ on Macs, iOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV.
Apple issued beta versions of Safari 10 for OS X 10.11 El Capitan and OS X 10.10 Yosemite on Thursday, granting developers access to new features like enhanced Safari Extensions, a redesigned Bookmarks interface and more.
Apple could be on the verge of filling a major hole in its Apple Music international coverage, as reports on Thursday claim contracts have been signed to bring the streaming service to South Korea.
Apple's forthcoming iOS 10 update will improve multitasking on the iPad by offering a new split-screen mode in Safari, allowing users to have two tabs open side-by-side simultaneously.
A questionable rumor on Thursday reiterated the claim that Apple will sell 256-gigabyte versions of its upcoming "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus," while further suggesting there could be an even more expensive "Pro" lineup.
Apple is hunting for feedback on streaming video, presumably to help decide on a future direction for the Apple TV and/or video in general, AppleInsider learned on Thursday.
T-Mobile on Thursday launched a pair of initiatives aimed at American travelers. In the first, the carrier is giving an hour of Gogo in-flight internet service to all domestic U.S. fliers, including what the company calls "those long-abused AT&T and Verizon customers."
Apple's will debut its fifth store in Hong Kong on June 30, reflecting the importance of both the city and the Chinese market in general.
While True Tone technology is currently exclusive to Apple's latest flagship iPad, a new patent application signals it has interest in expanding the color management capabilities to other devices, potentially ranging from as small as an Apple Watch to as large as an iMac.
Though prices on activity trackers continue to drop, average selling prices on wearable devices still saw a major increase in the first quarter of 2016, boosted in large part by the availability of the premium-priced Apple Watch, according to new research.
Apple's chief design officer, Jonathan Ive, was one of nine "distinguished" people to receive an honorary doctorate on Wednesday from the University of Oxford.
A pair of Apple patent applications published Thursday indicate research into alternative input methods for iOS, namely a touch sensitive stylus and a device capable of customizing a user interface based on whether a user is holding it in their left or right hand.
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
Responding to speculation as to why the iOS 10 beta kernel was left unencrypted, Apple on Wednesday confirmed the move was made deliberately to streamline system performance.
NASA on Wednesday added a tvOS app to its growing stable of digital media properties, bringing high-definition video streams, satellite and telescope imagery, mission updates and more to the living room.
The middle of the week brings about a plethora of deals on Apple Macs and iPads. Score a 128GB 9.7-inch iPad Pro for $699 or a 13-inch MacBook Air for $799.99. Plus, save $350 on the 2015 12-inch MacBook with 512GB of storage, $35-$70 off new 2016 12-inch MacBooks and $149 off a 27-inch iMac 5K with a Retina Display.
Unlike past tick-tock iPhone refresh cycles, Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" is expected to feature a design largely similar to the current iPhone 6 series, but internal component changes like a "dual specification" ambient light sensor could render existing cases and protective films incompatible.
A team of ex-Apple employees, led by former global data center network manager Jason Forrester, are aiming to overturn the ancient regime of proprietary standards for basic switches and routers and replace it with truly open-source standards that any user can customize.
One subtly important improvement in iOS 10 is support for multilingual typing, letting people use several languages in the same sentence without unwanted autocorrections.
- Samsung, Sharp plan to ramp up OLED production ahead of Apple's rumored all-glass 2017 iPhone
- Dropbox introduces new productivity tools including text scanner for Apple's iOS
- Chinese firm that had iPhone 6 sales suspended in Beijing 'barely exists,' investigation finds
- Amazon launches thinner, lighter $80 Kindle e-reader with double storage
- Apple's HomeKit smarthome platform picks up new device types & controls
- Inside iOS 10: Control Center expands to three panes, offering quick access to Music & Home
- Apple's new Swift Playgrounds for iPad is a killer app for teaching code
- Apple Pay gains support from 44 new US banks and credit unions
- Apple leaves iOS 10 beta kernel unencrypted in potential bug discovery effort
- Judge tosses lawsuit over 'Error 53' triggered by Touch ID repairs
- Apple TV universal search integrates content from A&E, History, Food Network, more
- New FAA drone rules open up US skies to limited commercial flights
- UE updates Boom 2, Megaboom Bluetooth speakers with Siri trigger support
- Inside iOS 10: New 'Bedtime' feature helps you get a proper night's sleep
- Apple issues third developer & public betas of iOS 9.3.3, OS X 10.11.6, tvOS 9.2.2
- This year's 'iPhone 7' will lack major design changes as Apple awaits improved technology - report
- Twitter, Vine expand video limit to 140 seconds
- Former Apple employees reveal iPhone-connected aftermarket car backup camera
- Giveaway: Win an iPhone case and keyless lock bundle from Dog and Bone
- Microsoft SharePoint for iOS arrives on Apple's App Store
- Apple opens registrations for children's Apple Camps at US retail stores
- New rules may put up barriers to games on Apple's App Store in China
- Browser-based Apple Pay predicted to chip away at PayPal's dominance with both consumers & merchants
- Inside watchOS 3: Customize your Apple Watch display on a workout-by-workout basis
- Adobe updates Creative Cloud with deep Stock integration, content-aware crop for Photoshop CC and more
- Apple customers to receive $400M iBooks settlement payments on Tuesday
- Apple's differential privacy analyzes the group, protects the individual
- Apple's 'iPhone 7' rumored to ship with standard EarPods, Lightning adapter
- More evidence of iOS 10 'dark mode' emerges, hints at cellular toggle in Control Center
- Tim Cook to host fundraiser for House Speaker Paul Ryan, other Republicans
- Inside iOS 10: 3D Touch allows renaming folders, clearing all notifications, sharing apps
- Apple Music rival Spotify tops 100 million subscribers, 30 million paid listeners
- Sketchy rumor suggests Apple's 'iPhone 7' will retain headphone jack, support dual SIM
- Apple pulls legacy non-Retina MacBook Pro from retail store displays
- Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch adds new iOS-style swipe-up Control Center
- India eases rules on local sourcing, paves way for country's first Apple Stores
- Inside iOS 10: With Game Center app gone, invites are managed by Messages
- Apple Maps picks up public transit directions for Denver, Colorado
- Select Bank of America ATMs now processing Apple Pay withdrawals
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Monday, June 20, 2016