A Cambridge computer scientist used $100 of hardware to clone an iPhone 5c's NAND memory chip in a successful attempt at bypassing the handset's encryption lock, seemingly proving correct theories lobbed in the aftermath of Apple's encryption fight with the FBI.
Monday, September 19, 2016
Apple on Monday acknowledged consumer complaints that a glitch in the gratis iPhone 7 Lightning EarPods causes the attached multifunction remote control to intermittently stop functioning, saying a fix is in the works.
As part of continued eco-friendly efforts, Apple on Monday said it is now part of the RE100, a global initiative of leading companies committed to boosting demand and delivery of 100 percent renewable energy.
After only six days of availability, Apple's latest mobile operating system iteration, iOS 10, is already on one-third of Apple devices tracked by analytics firm Mixpanel.
iDevices has grown its HomeKit-compatible home automation line with a kit comprising three light bulb adapters, seven electrical plugs, and added concierge service for priority support access.
Nikon announced its first three action cameras on Monday ahead of this week's Photokina expo in Germany, looking to claim share of a field largely dominated by GoPro.
The first weekend of iPhone 7 sales seems to have been on track with past iPhone launches, despite Apple's decision not to announce official numbers, according to early analytics data.
Karma, the long awaited first flying camera from GoPro, was unveiled on Monday with a starting price tag of $799, including a handheld stabilized grip for capturing shots on the ground. Also announced were waterproof and cloud-connected Hero5 and Session cameras, simplified video editing software for Apple's iOS, and a keychain-sized, Lightning-connected microSD card reader.
An analyst's examination of iPhone 7 buyers at launch sees more customers looking at 128GB models versus 256GB, with the vast majority of early buyers upgraders from older iPhones rather than switchers from Android.
Apple is reportedly investigating a problem affecting the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus that causes the devices to lose cellular access after a person turns off Airplane Mode.
Shoppers this week can pick up a 13" MacBook Pro for $1,029.99 on eBay while supplies last. Or scoop up a $50 iTunes gift card for $42.50. The Complete iOS 9 & 10 Development Bundle is also 94% off.
Apple's Wide Color display on the iPhone 7 is the iPhone's best yet, with a record high contrast ratio and record low reflectance according to a recent third party analysis, and the quality of the screen may cast doubt on rumors of a shift to OLED displays.
Apple's pressure sensitive 3D Touch technology expands in small but meaningful ways with iOS 10, including the ability to quickly rename app folders, or clear all alerts from Notification Center.
The battery fires and eventual recall of the Galaxy Note 7 can all be traced to Samsung executives wanting to rush the phone, based on rumors Apple's iPhone 7 wouldn't have any major improvements, according to a report.
Now that iOS 10 is out in the hands of iPhone and iPad users around the world, AppleInsider offers a deeper look at the major feature additions Apple implemented in Messages, including emoji replacement, text bubble animations, rich links and the iMessage App Store.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Monday, September 19, 2016
Late night talk show host James Corden on Sunday became the latest celebrity to feature in an Apple Music ad, with the "Carpool Karaoke" creator joining Apple executives Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine and Bozoma Saint John for a humorous TV spot that aired during ABC's presentation of the Emmy Awards.
Sunday, September 18, 2016
Hands on, real world use of Apple's latest iPhone 7 models provides overwhelming evidence that the company has a clear vision for the future and is marching toward it without much regard for the opinions of its detractors. This "courage of conviction" backs a series of rather radical and somewhat controversial iPhone 7 changes for Apple—already well known for breaking with the past.
Apple released three new commercials for its latest iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 on Sunday, each showcasing new hardware features like water resistance, fitness tracking and iPhone's low-light camera capabilities.
Saturday, September 17, 2016
Some early iPhone 7 and 7 Plus adopters are complaining of an audible "hissing" sound when the devices' A10 processors run into heavy demands.
Apple's new iPhone 7 models introduce a new solid-state (non-mechanical) Home button which no longer physically depresses but instead is a software-driven sensor. That necessitates a new physical button sequence to hard-reset the device if it stops responding; that happens to be holding the Volume Down and Wake buttons for five seconds.
The big news, naturally, was Friday's launch of the iPhone 7 and the second-generation Apple Watch. iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3 emerged on Tuesday though, and there was still plenty of news going on outside the launch-day bubble.
Friday, September 16, 2016
With iPhone 7, Apple updated its iconic home button from a mechanical push-button design to a solid-state sensor stack, meaning it requires direct contact with skin, or a capacitive glove, to operate.
In the shadow of this week's iPhone launch, surprise allegations of corporate sexism surfaced at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, though company executives say the situation was investigated and "actions have been taken."
Apple's latest iPhone 7 models sport two new color finish options: a solid matte Black and a high gloss Jet Black. Both appear to be in high demand, so if you're on the fence (or in line) we've taken some photos and videos highlighting the differences, including their almost invisible new seam lines, Apple's enhanced leather case options and the new Lightning headphones.
The Class 1 Bluetooth in Apple's new Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones are providing extreme range, in some cases beyond what the Class 1 specification actually calls for, according to user anecdotes.
Though the new Apple Watch Series 2 looks largely the same as its predecessor, there are a number of subtle improvements to the hardware beyond the addition of GPS and a brighter screen. AppleInsider offers a first look at the newly released wearable.
As part of a greater focus on user health, Apple has introduced new alarms in iOS 10 for sleep, reminding users when to go to bed for a full night of rest, and also keeping track of their sleeping habits.
A trio of journalistic establishments have filed a freedom of information lawsuit, attempting to compel the FBI to divulge information about the hack it purchased to break into the San Bernardino shooters' iPhone 5c.
A federal jury has ruled in favor of Acacia Research, awarding a subsidiary of the patent licensing firm $22.1 million in damages from Apple for the latter's violation of a cellular networking patent.
Shoppers can pick up a 15" MacBook Pro for $1,599.99 on eBay this week. Or snap up a ZeroLemon iPhone 7 Battery Case for $69.99. A lifetime iOS and Xcode developer training subscription is also $79.
After users upgrade devices to iOS 10, they won't be able to take full advantage of some new HomeKit-related features on older, third generation Apple TVs.
In parallel with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus launching in Hong Kong, Apple has simultaneously halted all returns and exchanges for Apple and Beats products bought at the company's local retail stores.
With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus hitting store shelves, new cases are hitting the market at a rapid rate. AppleInsider has rounded up a list of the best iPhone 7 cases that you can buy right now to keep your device in pristine condition.
Brick and mortar retailers Target and Best Buy have apparently not been given enough inventory to fulfill all pre-orders, and are emailing customers informing them that Apple Watch Series 2 orders won't be shipped by the promised date.
A pair of teardowns have confirmed speculation that Apple used multiple vendors for cellular modems in the iPhone 7 family, with an Intel-made wireless modem found in a model for AT&T and T-Mobile.
With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus already out in many parts of the world, people are beginning to subject Apple's phones to numerous stress tests, including drop and water tests that, at least in some early cases, the products are passing.
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rolled out to 28 regions around the world on Friday, and was anxiously awaited by crowds picking up pre-orders, with others disregarding Apple's warnings of low stock.
- AppleInsider podcast talks iOS 10, iPhone 7 stock at launch, and headphones
- Inside iOS 10: 'Raise to Wake' requires iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, or iPhone 7
- Apple pays $118M tax for underreported iTunes Japan income, report says
- Apple Watch Series 2 teardown reveals high capacity battery
- Laurene Powell Jobs donates $100M to reinvent US high schools
- Big shift: demand for dual-camera iPhone 7 Plus surges past standard iPhone 7
- First iPhone 7 Plus teardown reveals larger battery, revamped internal design, faux speaker port, more
- Matte black iPhone 7 undergoes brutal scratch, bend test in new video
- Deals: $200 off 2016 12" MacBook (1.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB); $150 off 27" iMac 5K; 50% off Hotspot Shield Elite VPN
- First iPhone 7 pre-order shipments arrive as lines form at Apple stores
- U.S. urges Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners to stop use, return after 26 burned, 55 property damage fires
- A closer look at Apple Watch Series 2 and the long path Apple took to the world of wearables
- Apple hires former Magic Leap, Oculus engineers in VR/AR push
- Apple cracking down on gif search terms in iOS 10 Messages after porn discovery
- Apple releases second GM of macOS Sierra days before official launch
- Wireless charging tech firm Energous namechecks Apple in regulatory filing
- US Treasury guidance could stop Apple from recouping Irish taxes at home
- Jet black is most popular color option among Sprint's high-capacity iPhone 7 preorders
- Inside watchOS 3: Send text messages from Apple Watch by drawing one letter at a time
- T-Mobile users complain about iOS 10 carrier settings causing service blackouts [ux2]
- Inside iOS 10: Photos Memories will generate slideshow movies automatically
- iRig HD 2 lets you connect guitar, 3.5mm headphone to Apple's iPhone via Lightning
- Pandora launches new 'Plus' tier, promises on-demand streaming by end of 2016
- Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets more familiar with dedicated dock button
- 'About a dozen' Magna engineers working on Apple's electric car, 'Project Titan' - report
- Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car
- Launch day iPhone 7 Plus, jet black iPhone 7 allotment sold out, Apple says
- Apple shuts down rumors of impending Tidal takeover
- Apple polling MacBook Pro owners on use of headphone jack, other ports
- Apple, Google app store practices stymie competition, Japan trade report says
- Apple hires former Time Warner Cable executive for cloud services push
- First online vendors begin support for Apple Pay on the Web
- Apple adds Categories section to iMessage App Store
- Swatch successfully opposes Apple's 'iWatch' trademark in UK
- First look: Audeze iSine 10 in-ear planar magnetic phones with Apple Lightning connector
- Adoption of Apple's iOS 10 already at 15% in early tracking data
- Conflicting reports emerge about iPhone 7 retail stock levels for launch
- Shares of AAPL surge as hype builds for Friday's iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 launches
- Review roundup: Apple Watch Series 2 is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and that's fine
- iOS 10 tests show slower boot times, but overall smooth speeds even on older iPhones
- Inside iOS 10: Apple simplifies HomeKit control with dedicated Home app
- Apple CEO Tim Cook visits schools benefitting from ConnectED tech in NYC
- Twitter debuts streaming video app on Apple TV in prep for Thursday Night Football
- Tim Cook says AR, VR are 'really cool' and have garnered Apple's interest
- Suppliers see high chip orders in advance of Apple's iPhone 7 launch
- Inside iOS 10: Control Center expands to three panes, offering quick access to Music & Home
- iPhone upgrade program members have stock available, Apple support call-backs ongoing
- Apple shares iPhone 7 ad with focus on dual-cameras, water resistance
Thursday, September 15, 2016
Wednesday, September 14, 2016