Lyft, the second-largest ride-hailing firm in the U.S., in recent months made overtures to sell itself to tech companies, automotive manufacturers and competitors, but failed to hook a buyer.
Friday, August 19, 2016
A motherboard that appears to be one of the first ever produced for the Apple-1 is up for auction on CharityBuzz, and has been valued at nearly $1 million.
Apple on Friday launched donations to the American Red Cross via iTunes and the App Store, spurred by the flooding in Louisiana which has forced thousands of victims out of their homes and caused widespread property damage.
Reviewers and YouTube examiners are discovering that the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 screen is susceptible to screen scratches. However, the Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning disagrees with the test results, and has fired back.
The International Photography Hall of Fame and Museum — based in St. Louis, Missouri — on Friday announced the posthumous induction of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, citing the iPhone's contributions to the photo world.
Long a radio-only service, Pandora is preparing to delve into the world of on-demand streaming as soon as September, a report said on Friday.
With iOS 10 expected to launch in just a matter of weeks, registered developers were provided with a seventh pre-release beta of the upcoming platform update on Friday, and public testers received their sixth release.
Deals: 13" MacBook Air (1.6GHz, 4GB, 256GB) for $849; $750 off 27" iMac 5K; $150 off 128GB iPhone 6s Plus; 15" MacBook Pro for $1,600
Shoppers this week can save $350 on a 2015 13" MacBook Air with 256GB of storage. Or pick up an Early 2014 27" iMac for $1,649.99 ($750 off). Smartphone users can also snap up a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus for $799.99 or save $399 on a 15" MacBook Pro on eBay.
On top of an outlet in Annapolis, Md., two more Apple stores are scheduled to reopen by the end of the month — namely ones in Kansas City, Mo. and Glasgow, Scotland.
After a call by U.S. Federal Communications Commission's commissioner, Apple and 32 other companies are banding together to make an industry-wide organized resistance against the expanding "robocall" scourge.
The New York Times has announced it will officially pull NYT Now — a cheaper, slimmed-down, app-based alternative to its core news services — from app stores on the week of Aug. 29, blaming its downfall on weak demand.
New supply chain reports suggest that Apple is putting pressure on Taiwan-based part suppliers to lower prices for "iPhone 7" components, despite reportedly ordering lower quantities.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk iPad upgrade cycles, compare simplicity of iPods and Apple Watch, and catch you up on all the latest 'iPhone 7' news.
Cygnett and Whoosh are partnering with AppleInsider this week to give readers a chance to win one of five back-to-school accessory bundles featuring a portable charger, wide angle lens, selfie stick, Apple Watch stand, iPhone case, screen cleaner and more.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Friday, August 19, 2016
Some four years after his last full studio release, R&B singer Frank Ocean on Thursday debuted a new visual album called "Endless" exclusively on Apple Music.
Thursday, August 18, 2016
An Australian antitrust regulator on Friday temporarily denied a request from the country's three largest banks to collectively negotiate with Apple over the installation of third-party digital wallet software on iPhones.
Although two of Apple's Maryland retail locations are currently out of commission, one of them will reopen this Saturday, Aug. 20, according to the company's website.
Research data released on Thursday further reinforces the belief that Apple's smartphone marketshare is eroding not just in international markets, but in the U.S. as well.
Though Apple apparently wants to place a cellular radio in a future Apple Watch model, technical limitations may prevent the capability from appearing in this year's expected update, a new report claims.
Although the public might continue to use the old phrasing, officially Apple has dropped the term "Store" from its worldwide retail locations, visitors to the company's website have noticed.
Marking a small but significant step towards bringing self-driving technology to the public, Uber will later this month begin offering some Pittsburgh customers rides in specially-modified Volvo XC90s, a report revealed on Thursday.
On the heels of other carrier updates, Sprint has also revised its wireless plans, giving two phones unlimited data for $100 per month.
A new image published on Thursday shows what's said to be a redesigned rear camera module for the "iPhone 7," widely expected to ship in mid- to late September.
T-Mobile has unveiled a new data plan called T-Mobile One, featuring no data caps, but subscribers will experience streaming video restricted to DVD-quality and 2G tethered data without additional fees.
Apple Pay users in the U.K. now have access to two more banks, Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank, as well as a service operated by the pair, simply known as "B."
After Monday's closure of the New York City Tekserve retail and service location, nearly the entire array of Apple collectibles accumulated over two decades by the company will be sold in a live auction, with online bidding underway.
Virtualization software Parallels on Thursday issued its latest release, Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac, with a host of new features including support for Apple's upcoming macOS Sierra, a standalone Toolbox app and performance improvements.
Wednesday, August 17, 2016
AT&T on Wednesday revealed new data plans skewed in favor of its higher-end tiers, though also finally eliminating overage fees for heavy users.
After months of waiting, chicken-loving iPhone owners will be able to check out using at Chick-fil-A locations using Apple Pay on Aug. 19, the restaurant chain announced on Wednesday.
With Apple's new MacBook Pro expected in the coming months, AppleInsider takes a look at technologies expected to be updated, or removed, from the new portable. In many ways, one of the key changes could be the anticipated embrace of new, smaller USB-C ports with high-speed USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 data connectivity.
Apple may be preparing to launch its first Austrian store on Vienna's Kärntnerstrasse, home to a high-traffic shopping district, a report claimed on Wednesday.
The seemingly inevitable demise of the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack has placed the technology world in need of a successor, and Intel this week laid out its case as to why it thinks the reversible USB-C port is the best option for accessory makers.
Target's executives revealed in an earnings conference call that Apple sales at their stores dropped 20 percent, calling it one of the major reasons for missing earnings guidance, and forcing a revision for the next quarter as well.
As expected, TSMC has secured orders to produce 10-nanometer "A11" processors for next year's iPhones, according to sources. Separate sources meanwhile hinted on Wednesday that this year's "iPhone 7" will indeed have up to 256 gigabytes of storage.
Apple continues pushing forward with its deployment of the Apple Pay service, adding 37 new banks and credit unions to the already expansive list of supporting financial institutions.
Apple has launched carrier billing options in Japan, giving residents there an alternative to using credit or gift cards when making purchases from iTunes, Apple Music, or the App Store.
This September's expected debut of the iPhone won't see a change in Apple's existing naming patterns, with a recent report denying the existence of the "iPhone 7 Pro," and declaring that the new models will simply be called the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus."
Deals: $550 off 12" MacBook (1.3GHz, 8GB, 256GB), $200 off 13" Air; $100 off 128GB 12.9" iPad Pro; $550 off 27" iMac; $100 iTunes code $85
Shoppers can snap up a 2015 1.3GHz 12" MacBook for $999 or a 2015 13" Air for $799 this week. The Space Gray 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi) is also marked down to $849, while a 27" iMac is $1,249. Apple's 16GB iPhone 6 Plus (GSM Unlocked) is now $549.99 and $100 iTunes codes are 15% off on eBay.
- Apple touts environmental progress in China, says all final assembly sites zero waste compliant
- Intel foundries to manufacture ARM-based smartphone chips
- Video of Apple's Black Hat 2016 presentation now available
- Apple Music signs partnership deal with Cash Money Records [u]
- Research firm expects first annual iPhone sales drop, in growing global market
- RunKeeper, Snapchat updated to better utilize iOS and Apple Watch features
- Ford targeting 2021 launch for self-driving car, potentially going head to head with Apple
- Apple wins appeal in Time Machine tech patent infringement suit
- Apple awarded pair of 3D user interface patents related to computer vision
- Street date for Apple's 'iPhone 7' could be Sept. 23, AT&T document hints
- Angela Ahrendts attends Apple Store grand opening at World Trade Center in New York City
- Hong Kong Apple Pay users get support for Bank of East Asia and HKT Tap & Go
- Microsoft ad says Apple's iPad Pro Smart Keyboard doesn't make it a real computer
- Hunter launches Signal ceiling fan with Apple HomeKit support
- FaceTime video chat competitor Google Duo released for iOS, Android
- Apple turning to new server suppliers to cut costs - report
- Apple CEO Tim Cook touring China, pledges Asia-Pacific R&D center
- Apple expands carrier billing availability with rollout in Taiwan and Switzerland [u]
- Former Apple Watch engineer talks Apple design culture, secrecy, more in interview
- Berkshire Hathaway increases Apple position to $1.46B
- Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 7' to offer improved fast-charge support
- Apple CarPlay coming to higher-end models of Honda's 2017 Civic Hatchback
- Apple issues sixth betas of iOS 10, watchOS 3 macOS Sierra & tvOS 10, new public iOS 10 beta
- Apple computer navigation engineer departs for mysterious automaker Faraday Future
- Apple educational investment in Oakland linked to meeting between Cook, Rev. Jesse Jackson
- Questionable photos of space black 'iPhone 7 Plus' appear online
- Microsoft updates Office apps to allow on-screen sketching for iPhone
- Apple Maps transit coverage comes to San Antonio & Dallas Fort-Worth
- Apple to debut 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, integrate flexible AMOLED tech in 2018
- Twitter looks to debut Apple TV app as part of NFL live streaming initiative
- Tim Cook says AI & augmented reality are core technologies in Apple's future
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Monday, August 15, 2016
Sunday, August 14, 2016