For iPhone users seeking a wrist-worn fitness tracker with GPS, heart rate monitoring, and multiple-day battery life, the Fitbit Surge is a good "tweener" device — not quite a smartwatch, but much more functional than a basic wearable.
Saturday, February 21, 2015
Friday, February 20, 2015
In an announcement posted to Apple's developer portal on Friday, the notified app makers that all Mac App Store submissions will soon be restricted from using garbage collection in favor of the Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) compiler feature.
Hedge funds, mutual funds, and other large investors continue to make Apple a core component of their portfolios, with over 2,000 individual funds holding shares worth more than $380 billion at the close of 2014, by far the most for any U.S. company.
After an apparently successful public beta program for OS X Yosemite, Apple is rumored to be considering an expansion of that initiative that would see forthcoming versions of its mobile operating system — beginning with iOS 9 — subjected to the same assessment.
The prospective launch of Google's new YouTube Kids app could be a boon for families with young children, but those invested in Apple's iOS ecosystem find themselves on the outside looking in as the video site reportedly will not support the iPhone or iPad at launch.
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including: Apple Car rumors, Apple Watch pricing, new FAA proposed drone regulations, Modern Family films an entire episode on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, Apple Pay, Sony and more.
Thursday, February 19, 2015
Apple may soon secure a more stable source for small to medium sized device displays, as the company is said to be in talks with Japan Display on the buildout of a $1.7 billion manufacturing plant.
Adding to a firestorm of rumors surrounding Apple's supposed electric car project, a report on Thursday claims the Cupertino tech giant is gunning for a manufacturing start date of 2020.
Apple on Thursday announced a new repair program for certain previous-generation MacBook Pro laptops suffering from distorted video, unexpected restarts and other issues, saying these faulty units will be repaired for free.
Following a brief outage on Thursday, the Apple Maps Connect Web portal returned to service with new German and French language options, suggesting the service is slowly rolling out internationally.
In yet another sign of how Apple may market its upcoming wearable device to the high-end fashion market, the Apple Watch is rumored to be featured in a display inside Paris's Galeries Lafayette.
Chinese PC maker Lenovo has found itself in the middle of a public relations disaster, following revelations that it sold a number of notebook computers with pre-installed software that hijacks users' browser sessions to inject customized advertisements and seriously degrades the security of encrypted connections.
A123 Systems, which filed a lawsuit this month accusing Apple of unfairly poaching its engineers, is best known for creating large lithium-ion batteries used in futuristic high-performance electric automobiles, a specialty that may have played a key role in Apple's interest in its employees.
If you've ever found yourself despairing over Apple's insistence that home screen icons be lined up neatly in rows, but can't — or won't — turn to jailbreak tweaks, a relatively new Web app called Makeovr has come to your rescue.
Apple's forthcoming "global command center" for its online operations in Mesa, Ariz., could be the beneficiary of up to 20 years' worth of tax breaks, thanks to new rules proposed by the state legislature.
Internet mashup service IFTTT on Thursday announced the first three in a new series of "Do" apps — Do Button, Do Camera, and Do Note — designed to help users create quick on-demand workflows.
Apple is set to announce an update to its capital return program in April, and investment firm RBC Capital Markets believes the company could return some $65 billion to investors annually, creating yet another reason to buy into the company's stock.
Adobe's Photoshop notched another milestone when it turned 25 years old on Thursday, marking a quarter century since the venerable software brought digital image editing to the masses as a Mac exclusive.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
A new lawsuit filed in early February claims Apple poached workers with proprietary information vital to battery manufacturer A123 Systems' operations in an attempt to build out its own competing battery division in California.
A pair of high-resolution photographs acquired by AppleInsider on Wednesday show close-up views of a van thought to be part of a secret Apple initiative, including a highly detailed look at what are believed to be GPS, camera and other roof-mounted instrumentation.
Supermodel Candice Swanepoel, best known for her work as a Victoria's Secret Angel, will be the first woman to don the upcoming Apple Watch in a U.S. magazine cover shoot with the March issue of women's lifestyle magazine SELF, suggesting Apple is quickly expanding marketing efforts beyond fashion and into fitness tracking.
Just over two months after word first broke that Samsung was considering an Apple Pay competitor, the South Korean conglomerate has reportedly acquired mobile payments startup LoopPay to bolster its efforts.
A number of major iOS downloads saw updates on Wednesday, including the official NBC app, which now offers live streaming in select market. In addition, Kayak has gained a new "Hotel for Tonight" feature, Snapchat has added the ability to take a snap while listen to music, and Yelp now offers review translations for iPad.
iPhone owners finding it difficult to connect with their peers through the tetrahydrocannabinolic haze have a new option with High There, a Tinder-like matchmaking app that specializes in bringing together users with a penchant for bud.
Following a five-year run in Detroit that saw him inexplicably chosen to oversee General Motors, longtime telecom executive Dan Akerson has elected to weigh on in Apple's possible entry into the carmaking arena, saying that Cupertino has "no idea what they're getting into."
Rumors continue to circulate that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook may be planning a trip to Israel, to commemorate the opening of a new research and development office in the city of Herzliya Pituach.
Apple has removed Cuba from its restricted country list for foreign trade, reflecting the fact that some of its hardware and software are now legally eligible to be exported to the Caribbean country.
Apple continues to expand the reach of its popular mobile payment system, with the Cupertino company rolling out support for cards from nearly two dozen additional financial institutions — including major investment bank Morgan Stanley — on Wednesday.
- How to protect your Apple ID, iCloud, iMessage and more by enabling two-step verification
- Sony to begin shipping developer-focused SmartEyeglass wearable in March
- UK banks RBS & NatWest become first in country to allow Touch ID logins
- Apple Pay drives in-app purchases for Staples, fails to catch on in stores
- Civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis visits Apple HQ, meets with CEO Tim Cook
- Apple's iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Beats headphones take top honors in consumer survey
- Tech journalist Chris Breen leaves Macworld for job at Apple
- Apple's big-screen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus lead to massive gains in China as Samsung flounders
- Dropbox adds iOS 8 sharing extension, Google Play Music comes to iPad
- Report alleges iBooks antitrust monitor has committed 'major abuse' against Apple
- BlackBerry fires another legal salvo at Ryan Seacrest's Typo keyboard for iPhone
- Apple awarded PrimeSense patent for 3D virtual keyboard that would allow typing on air
- Rumor: Apple to add Touch ID to Retina MacBook Air as well as future Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad
- Apple Inc Campus 2, Phase 2 plans R&D facilities big enough to design a car
- Apple's iMessage, FaceTime, and OS X take starring roles in new episode of 'Modern Family'
- Apple wins patent for a head-mounted iPhone virtual reality display
- Microsoft adds iCloud save support to its Office suite for iOS
- 5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive product ever
- Apple Pay reportedly faces uphill battle in China as talks with UnionPay stall
- Apple scrapped advanced Apple Watch health monitoring features due to reliability issues
- SoHo Apple Store holds workshops with fashionistas and artists as New York Fashion Week wraps up
- Video reveals close-up look of Apple's mysterious minivan project
- Proposed FAA rules would restrict private drone use, potentially nix Amazon drone deliveries
- Apple making Campus 2 components in its own factory, initially considered 'trilobal' design
- Jony Ive & his design team esteemed as Apple's heart & soul in sweeping profile
- Jony Ive & Angela Ahrendts collaborating on an Apple Store redesign to better showcase Apple Watch
- As mysterious minivan sightings proliferate, rumored 'Apple Car' seen as $50B US opportunity
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Monday, February 16, 2015