A humanizing, honest and emotional portrayal of the complex man who cofounded Apple, "Steve Jobs" is a deeply satisfying film grounded by sharp dialogue and a stellar cast. AppleInsider had a chance to view the film in New York on Saturday, and also to participate participate in a Q&A with the talent behind the production.
Saturday, October 03, 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook recently confirmed that developers will indeed be granted access to a universal search API set to debut with the fourth-generation Apple TV, meaning third-party apps have the opportunity to get screen time alongside big name services like HBO and Hulu.
The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus continued to play an important part in this week's news — and AppleInsider had a chance to review the devices — but the Mac had a brief moment to shine with the launch of OS X El Capitan, and Apple made a rare addition to its board of directors.
Apple sent out emails late Friday notifying developers that a second batch of Apple TV dev kits are being sent out to meet overwhelming demand.
Friday, October 02, 2015
With 3D Touch on Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, users can enter iOS 9's multitasking app selector view with a simple swipe, a much more intuitive process than double-clicking on the home button.
Fabless chip designer MediaTek has joined Broadcom, Marvell and Texas Instruments in releasing support for HomeKit, Apple's "Internet of Things" specification for secure, Siri-driven wireless control of appliances, switches and other devices around the home from users' iOS devices or Apple Watch.
Natural language processing firm VocalIQ, a U.K. company with a particular interest in voice control within automobiles, has reportedly been acquired by Apple, in a likely attempt to bolster its voice-driven personal assistant Siri.
Apple is rapidly building out large new cluster buildings its iCloud data center near Reno, Nevada, about four hours east of Silicon Valley. At the same time, the company has also bought another nearly 200 acres of land in Prineville, Oregon to continue parallel iCloud capacity expansion at that site.
Along with a change to the new San Francisco font, iOS 9 now displays lowercase letters on the virtual keyboard by default when typing non-capitalized letters. This is a change that has been met with some criticism by users, but thankfully Apple has included a way to switch back to the all-caps keyboard.
Microsoft on Friday announced updates to its Skype iPhone and iPad apps, primarily adding a slew of iOS 9-related features such as full multitasking support on iPads.
Facebook is gradually rolling out a collection of mobile-oriented additions to profile pages and profile images, including videos, time-limited pictures, and a new customizable layout.
A major focus for Apple in building iOS 9 is making it even easier to access the information you need, in part by predicting what you want before you unlock your phone. One way the upcoming operating system does that is by knowing when you get into your car, and predicting where you're probably planning to drive.
Big-box retailer Target announced on Friday that the Apple Watch will go on sale at "some" U.S. locations this week, eventually coming to all of its stores across the country by Oct. 25.
On this week's AppleInsider podcast, Dan talks about his final review unit of the iPhone 6s, Mikey has three new iPhones, and we talk 3D Touch, El Capitan, whether or not to subscribe to Apple Music, and Aaron Sorkin's tiff with Tim Cook.
Thursday, October 01, 2015
The Human Rights Campaign announced Thursday that it will present Apple CEO Tim Cook with the Visibility Award at its 19th annual National Dinner next month, an event honoring high-profile public figures who fight for LGBT equality.
Hackers targeting credit check firm Experian stole the personal data of approximately 15 million T-Mobile customers who applied for postpaid services or device financing, Experian announced on Thursday.
Apple CEO Tim Cook continued his media tour on Thursday by participating in a short interview featured on NPR's "All Things Considered," where he discussed the importance of consumer data protection and implications of America's tax code.
Stock compensation expenses are growing at Apple, even though newer companies like Twitter and Facebook are spending far more on them proportionately, a report noted on Thursday.
Apple has reportedly signed a lease for a 770,000-square-foot campus to be built in Sunnyvale, Calif., a stone's throw away from its Campus 2 "spaceship" currently under construction in Cupertino, expanding the company's already substantial presence in the area.
Multiple international trademark applications for an "AIRPODS" audio accessory, filed by what appears to be a shell company, suggest Apple might be working to bring a wireless version of its EarPods headphones to market.
Major high-tech corporations like Apple could potentially reap new and easier military contracts under a bill approved by the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday.
Amazon will halt all sales of the Apple TV and Google Chromecast beginning on Oct. 29, the company said in an email to marketplace vendors, claiming that its Prime Video service doesn't run well on some devices outside of the Fire TV line.
iPhone shoppers are increasingly favoring high-end, 64- and 128-gigabyte models, and showing strong early interest in Apple's new interest-free iPhone Upgrade Program, data from an RBC Capital Markets survey suggests.
Members of Apple's public beta testing program now have access to a second pre-release build of OS X 10.11.1, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for the newly launched El Capitan Mac operating system.
Shares of Apple stock fell more than 2 percent in early trading Thursday, following a highly questionable report from the Far East claiming that Apple's integrated circuit suppliers are concerned over the prospect of fewer iPhone-related chip orders.
Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are now officially on sale, but buyers still need to decide what to do with their old device. As in years past, AppleInsider takes a look at nearly a dozen big-name buyback services and retailers looking to attract your iPhone trade-ins [updated Oct. 6 with the latest values].
Thursday, October 01, 2015
Though obstacles with partners remain, Apple has made some progress in addressing the issue of carrier roaming charges for iPhone owners, and continues to work toward a solution that will be beneficial to consumers, senior VP Eddy Cue has revealed.
Apple on Thursday announced a new addition to its board of directors: former chief financial officer and interim CEO of The Boeing Company.
Last year's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus introduced a larger, slimmer form factor housing higher resolution Retina HD screens and improvements in processors, cameras and wireless. While Apple's latest 6s and 6s Plus models look virtually identical, the company has significantly improved nearly every key feature, from a stronger glass and metal exterior outside to high-performance components inside, including a new pressure sensitive 3D Touch display.
It seems rumors that claimed Apple conducted research into an "iRing" wearable product were based in reality, as a new patent application reveals work on a finger-mounted device stuffed with microphones, motion sensors, a haptic feedback system, biometric sensors, cameras and even a small display.
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
With iPhone 6s' 12MP iSight and 5MP FaceTime cameras, Apple bumped the specs of the world's most popular digital shooter, giving users a good excuse to create mountains of data. Using iOS 9's built-in Photos app can help you manage this flood of photographs from the moment you press the shutter button.
Google and Microsoft have agreed to settle an ongoing patent feud concerning communications and video technology, bringing an end to about 20 lawsuits lodged in the U.S. and Germany, the companies said Wednesday.
After the release of iOS 9.0.2 on Wednesday, which fixed a number of bugs including a lock screen exploit, Apple stopped signing iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9.0 firmware for compatible devices, prohibiting users who updated from downgrading.
Apple has pulled an app from the iOS App Store, Metadata+, claiming that its documentation of deaths in U.S. military drone strikes is "content that many users would find objectionable."
Apple has banned iFixit's developer account and pulled its app from the App Store after the repair firm dismantled a fourth-generation Apple TV dev kit it received as part of Apple's pre-release program.
OS X El Capitan, launched earlier on Wednesday, still contains serious vulnerabilities in its Gatekeeper and Keychain features, according to security researchers.
Apple's next-generation Mac operating system, OS X 10.11 El Capitan, is now available as a free download, and compatible with all Macs that run OS X Yosemite. AppleInsider offers a quick rundown of a couple of the things you can do with your newly updated Mac.
Apple on Wednesday released to the public the completed OS X 10.11 El Capitan, making a variety of enhancements to features like Safari and Spotlight, while simultaneously ramping up Mac performance.
Apple on Wednesday released the third pre-release beta of iOS 9.1 to developers, continuing its march toward the point-one release with a range of new emoji.
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2 with fixes for cellular data, iMessage activation, Podcasts app stability, more
- Last Call: Free AppleCare with mid-2015 15" MacBook Pros, $75 rebates on all 11" MacBook Airs
- Apple's iPhone 6s lineup quietly uses new gasket, silicone seals to greatly reduce water damage
- City of Westminster gives go-ahead to revamp 'tired and outdated' Regent Street Apple Store
- Inside iOS 9: Apple's QuickType keyboard gains quick cut, copy, paste & more on iPad
- Apple Music, iTunes Movies and iBooks debut in China
- Estimated iPhone 6s build cost pegged at $211.50, iPhone 6s Plus at $236
- Apple's enterprise business made $25B in past 12 months, Tim Cook says
- Apple buys nearly 200 acres of land for Oregon data center expansion
- iTunes Connect iOS app updates with push notifications for content status
- Google unveils new Nexus phones, Chromecasts, Pixel C tablet & more
- TAG Heuer to launch $1,800 Apple Watch competitor in Nov., company warns of tough 2016
- iOS 9 hardware keyboard shortcuts bring Apple's iPad world closer to the Mac
- Apple releases second developer beta of OS X El Capitan 10.11.1
- Apple sends out iOS, email reminders urging users to renew Apple Music
- Pixar staff gets early chance to test iPad Pro & Apple Pencil
- Apple hypes Wednesday's launch of free OS X 10.11 El Capitan Mac update
- Apple updates privacy minisite, says iOS 9 News personalization delinked from Apple ID
- Inside iOS 9: Apple's Notes app is greatly enhanced with drawings, lists, pictures, links & more
- Apple imagines animated 3D Maps with rippling water, realtime reflections
- Apple expands Flyover coverage to new locales in France, Germany, Japan and more
- Week in review video: iPhones launch, lifesaving Apple Watch, iPhone 6s drop test & more
- Apple, Samsung agree to mediate California patent dispute
- Apple to reveal fiscal Q4 2015 earnings on Oct. 27
- Both Samsung and TSMC confirmed as Apple A9 SoC manufacturers, Samsung version 10% smaller
- Apple releases Xcode 7.0.1 with fixes for app thinning bugs
- Video shows MAME emulator in action on Apple's tvOS
- Apple Music minisite gets 'Guided Tours' page to explain basic tasks
- Major League Baseball updates rules to allow iPads in dugouts, with restrictions
- iOS 9 tips: Disconnect from a Bluetooth accessory without making your iPhone forget it
- GoPro launches $200 Hero+ camera, cuts price of Hero4 Session by $100
- Inside iOS 9: Apple brings IFTTT-like functionality to HomeKit with Event Triggers
- Indian PM invites Apple's Tim Cook to manufacture locally, talks Apple Pay, partnerships
- Apple's record setting iPhone 6s launch weekend impresses Wall Street
- Second-gen Apple Watch likely to wait until mid- to late 2016 - report
- iPhone 6s, 6s Plus will ship to Russia, Ireland, Spain & 37 more countries Oct. 9
- Apple sells blockbuster 13 million iPhone 6s, 6s Plus units in launch weekend
- Reported iOS 9 compass/gyroscope bug affects iPhone 6s augmented reality apps [u]
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Monday, September 28, 2015