Apple in a recent update to Maps activated Traffic data for two Middle Eastern countries, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, though it appears only major metropolitan areas are supported at this time.
Monday, April 24, 2017
It appears Apple's first foray into original video content, "Carpool Karaoke," will not make its scheduled April debut, as the company on Monday again postponed a launch party initially slated for March.
Google on Monday updated its Google Photos app for iOS with integrated AirPlay support, meaning users can stream photos and video to the big screen with Apple TV.
Apple has reportedly hired Dr. Jeff Norris, an augmented and virtual reality specialist who founded the Mission Operations Innovation Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, to be part of a special projects team working to bring augmented reality to the masses.
Dish's internet-only TV service, Sling TV, has announced the availability of Cloud DVR support for the Apple TV, letting users record some (but not all) shows for later viewing.
Apple on Monday alerted members of its link affiliate program to a sharp reduction in their take from apps and in-app purchases, down from 7 percent to just 2.5.
FeatureOn its 2nd anniversary, Apple Watch settling into role as fitness & notification wearable with Siri, Apple Pay
Originally pitched as a multitude of things, including an intimate communication tool and new frontier for mobile apps, the Apple Watch has been refined and simplified in the years since its debut, focusing on what Apple has determined to be the fledgling device's core strengths.
With a growing number of complaints about a red-tinged screen in some owners with the Samsung Galaxy S8, the company is issuing a software patch allowing users expanded options for correcting the problem in software by placing the responsibility for color accuracy even more in user's hands.
Apple on Monday seeded fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, macOS 10.12.5, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1 to developers, paving the way for Apple's next round of maintenance updates.
Amidst three Apple employees involved in testing of Apple's self-driving car software stands an ex-NASA researcher who was once tasked to develop an autonomous vehicle to explore one of Jupiter's moons, and three others who worked for JPL.
Kitty Hawk, a startup backed by Google co-founder Larry Page, has demonstrated a prototype flying car that could be one of the first to ship, assuming it meets a late 2017 target.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Adding to the cacophony of recent "iPhone 8" rumors, a purported illustration of the layout of the interior of the high-end future iPhone has appeared on Chinese social media showing a conventional Touch ID location, and some other realignments needed for a vertical camera module position.
Filling in an important gap in its native Maps apps for iOS and macOS, Apple this weekend introduced public transit directions for Paris, including detailed station information.
A purported Foxconn CNC model of the "iPhone 8" has surfaced online — but as with the diagrams leaked over the last two weeks, there is no way to tell how accurate the model is, or if it is even close to what Apple will ship.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is once again cautioning investors that Apple's anticipated flagship "iPhone 8" could be in extremely limited supply to end 2017, thanks to the expected adoption of a number of new technologies, namely an edge-to-edge OLED display.
Sunday, April 23, 2017
Apple has hired Tim Dashwood, the author of a series of 3D and 360 VR plugins for video editing software. Dashwood has since made his existing plugins for apps such as Final Cut Pro X free to download.
In 2014, Uber was discovered to be blocking authorities from seeing its cars in order to evade regulations or bans in a series of locations including Paris, Las Vegas, China and South Korea. The next year, Apple found out Uber was also flouting its iOS developer rules to identify users' devices by hardware ID—and nearly got kicked out of the App Store over it.
Last call! Apple Deals: 2017 iPad for $307 ($22 off); $240 off high-end 15" MacBook Pro w/ AppleCare; $15 off $75 at eBay
Today is the last day to save $22 instantly on Apple's brand-new 32GB 9.7" iPad in Space Gray (Wi-Fi Only) with no tax collected outside NY and NJ. Or pick up a high-end 15" MacBook Pro (2.9GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 460) for $3,608 ($240 off). Shoppers can also save $15 on $75 purchases now through 6 p.m. Pacific.
Saturday, April 22, 2017
In recognition of today's Earth Day, Apple created an "Earth Day Challenge" to reward reaching 30 minutes of exercise on the day with a special achievement badge in the Activity app, as well as stickers for use within iMessage.
Days after an error led to false iCloud cancellation emails sent to subscribers, Apple has followed up with another note apologizing for the bug, and reassuring them that their plan remains in good standing.
There's a lot of talk about Apple's shift to a new screen technology with the "iPhone 8," but fewer conversations about how it will all work — AppleInsider explains what changes Apple will likely need to make to implement the technology, while retaining Touch ID on the front of the rumored edge-to-edge screen on the device.
Ahead of Earth Day, Apple went on an environmental publicity blitz, most notably promising to eventually make products entirely out of recycled materials. Rumors about specific projects like the "iPhone 8" continued, meanwhile, and a new version of the Apple Watch appeared: the Apple Watch NikeLab.
Friday, April 21, 2017
The year-old flagship Apple Store at Union Square in San Francisco was closed down today due to a massive power outage that affected around 90,000 other customers, shut down some subway stations and turned off traffic lights that snarled many busy intersections.
On Friday, a report revealed snippets of Apple's California Department of Motor Vehicles self-driving car application, offering insight into the company's autonomous vehicle project. A full copy of the document has been shared with AppleInsider.
Documents filed as part of Apple's application to test self-driving cars in California were revealed on Friday and offer a first look at the company's autonomous platform, dubbed the "Automated System."
Prominent U.K. newspaper The Guardian on Friday pulled out of two major app-based initiatives, Apple News and Facebook Instant Articles, in a bid to reclaim revenue.
Apple has reportedly hired two executives from Google's satellite division to head up "a new hardware team," with goals that are still unclear.
A new set of images purporting to be of the "iPhone 8" rear case have appeared on Chinese social media, but AppleInsider has learned that they are renders, based on recent, alleged schematic 'leaks.'
Popular iOS podcast app Overcast has updated with the ability to sync episodes directly to an Apple Watch, letting runners and others leave home without an iPhone in tow.
Once complete, Apple's data center in Viborg, Denmark will actually redirect heat to warm homes in the surrounding Jutland region, Apple noted this week.
Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to mark Turkey's National Sovereignty and Children's Day — which actually takes place Apr. 23 — and to showcase a local billboard campaign, using iPhone photos shot by children.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Dan talk about the uncharacteristic rumors moving Touch ID to the back of the "iPhone 8," Mac Pro hardware rumors, the Mac Gamer, Thunderbolt GPUs and more.
Lending credence to speculation of a coming iPhone "supercycle," market research firm comScore on Thursday released data showing tens of millions of users who own legacy iPhones are primed to upgrade.
Thursday, April 20, 2017
The digital wallet race just lost another contestant, with Plastc Card entering bankruptcy and announcing to investors that it will shut down without ever delivering the digital payment card. Plastc joins Coin—which threw in the towel in February—in the electronic money pit that Apple has avoided with Apple Pay.
Apple CEO Tim Cook wrote a profile of Didi Chuxing president Jean Liu as part of the "TIME 100 Most Influential People" special, offering insight into Apple's investment in the Chinese ride-hailing service.
Apple announced on Thursday that a new feature called "Up Next" has been added to Apple Music, a new video documentary series that promises to feature a new artist every month.
Apple on Thursday launched an Earth Day-related charity promotion promising to donate $1 to the World Wildlife Fund for each purchase made at its stores using Apple Pay.
An report from an Apple Environment Health and Safety contractor — said to have accidentally leaked to hundreds of Apple staff — may point to rumored augmented reality glasses, or some other new eye-related technology.
- Apple debuts Live Photos API, allows for playback on most popular browsers
- Mastercard to add fingerprint sensors to cards, won't follow strict Apple Pay security policy
- Apple meets with Chinese government over App Store oversight because of porn streamers
- Photoshop World 2017 Deals: Pre-order the latest cameras & lenses with no tax in 48 states + 5% off DJI drones
- Apple Watch NikeLab to bring new band option in limited Apr. 27 launch
- Comcast intros app-based Apple Pay bill payments with Xfinity iPhone update
- Why an all-glass 'iPhone 8' makes sense, and could be more durable than you expect
- Apple publishes new Earth Day videos explaining company's environmental efforts
- Apple original content plans a 'moving target,' may play into new Los Angeles offices
- Google may build native ad-blocking into mobile & desktop versions of Chrome
- Prince's 'Deliverance' pulled from Apple Music, iTunes Store
- Apple to remove signature Fifth Avenue glass cube at cost of up to $2M
- Apple investigating AR solution capable of moving, removing objects in real time
- Apple stores install special signage in celebration of Earth Day
- Apple promises future products to be made from 100% recycled materials
- Apple Music scores exclusive rights to Clive Davis documentary
- Apple to offer 2017 Earth Day Challenge Activity achievement with iMessage stickers
- Serial patent troll Acacia Research again sues Apple, cellular carriers over wireless patents
- New mid-April drone footage shows trespasser's view of Apple Park site
- Roundup: The best laptop bags, cases and sleeves for Apple's Late 2016 MacBook Pro
- Why Apple should cater to 'serious' gamers - and why it probably won't
- Apple to expand Search Ads to three international markets, debuts new management tools
- EFF: Google Chromebook is still spying on grade school students
- Apple suppliers withhold royalty payments to Qualcomm amid legal spat
- Apple Maps adds public bike rental stations & UK EV charger networks
- Cartoon Network adds support for Apple's iOS 10.1 TV app, Siri Universal Search
- Withings Home Plus HomeKit security cam cancelled, likely over Nokia-Apple patent spat
- Alphabet Verily begins research on 10,000 patients to 'map human health'
- Microsoft debuts Wunderlist replacement To-Do on iPhone, Mac & iPad coming soon
- AlwaysOnline adds 14 countries to iPad Apple SIM plans, cuts prices
- New Prince song 'Deliverance' arrives on Apple Music & iTunes, full album release in jeopardy
- Apple's efforts to boost in-house chip development amplifies risks to suppliers
- Deals: 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (512GB) for $1,859 ($140 off); Apple refurb 27" iMac 5K for $1,499 ($800 off); 64GB Apple TV for $169 ($30 off)
- Chinese regulators put pressure on Apple over live streaming titles on App Store
- LaCie announces 2big Thunderbolt 3 RAID dock, compatible with Apple's MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- Another alleged 'iPhone 8' schematic shows Touch ID home button on back of device, vertical camera
- Apple Music & iCloud users receive unexpected subscription discontinuation alerts
- 'iPhone 7s,' 'iPhone 8' chip orders suggest more than 100 million iPhones on tap by end of year
Wednesday, April 19, 2017