Noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple to launch a next-generation 13-inch MacBook model in the third quarter of 2016, which would expand the company's thin-and-light lineup directly into 13-inch MacBook Pro territory.
Monday, May 23, 2016
Apple is expected to drastically revamp its flagship laptop line in the second half of 2016, according to one informed insider, with the slimmed down 13- and 15-inch models said to sport Touch ID, an OLED display touch bar, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, among other improvements.
Musician will.i.am's "i.am+" tech brand on Monday released a pair of pricey Bluetooth earphones dubbed the "EPs," with initial sales to be exclusive to Apple's online and brick-and-mortar retail stores.
Google's Chrome OS partners Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Samsung and Lenovo collectively shipped 37 percent more low-priced netbooks than the number of premium laptops Apple sold during the quarter in the U.S., although most of those Chromebook sales were to K-12 schools.
Adding to a growing pile of supposed parts leaks, a set of images posted to the web on Monday suggest Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" series will indeed sport a larger rear camera aperture, as well as a dual-camera array for the larger "Plus" model, but might ship without a Smart Connector as previous rumors claimed.
Philips on Monday announced immediate availability of Hue White Ambiance bulbs and starter kits, an addition to the company's smart light bulb lineup capable of integrating with Apple's HomeKit smart home framework.
Facebook on Monday officially launched a Continuous Live Video API for broadcasters, giving them the option of endless streaming, as well as full coverage of longer events.
Chance the Rapper's new album Coloring Book — currently an Apple Music exclusive — has reportedly become the first streaming exclusive to debut in top 10 of the Billboard 200 albums chart.
This week, B&H is offering the lowest price we've ever seen for an iMac 5K at $1,499, while also taking $150 off the 38mm Apple Watch (Black Stainless) and throwing in a free stand. On top of that, snag a 16GB iPad Air for $270 — or save $200 on a 3.1GHz 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.
Looking to hold onto its dominance in the music streaming space, Spotify on Monday launched an upgraded Family plan, matching similar ones from Apple Music and Google Play.
This Memorial Day weekend, save up to $300 on popular 13" and 15" MacBook Pros when you pair instant discounts with exclusive coupons. Or snap up a 2015 12" MacBook for only $964 with 3 free accessories, free shipping and no sales tax in most states.
Monday, May 23, 2016
Apple on Monday released previews of the next iterations of OS X, iOS, and tvOS, handing out beta versions of its popular desktop, mobile, and set-top box operating systems to registered developers.
Images leaked on Monday showed Samsung's upcoming Gear Fit 2, a device that may provide tougher competition in fitness wearables for companies like Apple and Fitbit.
A new image, claimed to depict a genuine rear shell for Apple's "iPhone 7," may support some other recent leaks pointing to the device's design features.
Apple has reportedly instructed its supply chain to produce between 72 million and 78 million of the so-called "iPhone 7" in the run-up to that device's expected launch this fall.
The Maine Department of Education is working with Apple to give some schools the option of trading in classroom-based iPads for new MacBooks at no cost, as teachers have found the tablets "provide no educational function in the classroom."
A major leap in display manufacturing equipment orders may strongly suggest that Apple is preparing to build OLED-equipped iPhones, possibly in time for 2017 models, a report said on Monday.
Sunday, May 22, 2016
Rather than focusing on the incremental innovation needed to win back the attention of enterprise users and premium consumers, Google's vision for Android this year has again leapt in new directions which appear even less attainable. Android's scattered, imitative strategies du jour are resulting in a platform that looks a lot like Apple's—albeit the very unsuccessful Apple of the mid 90s.
A set of highly questionable photos posted to the web on Saturday supposedly show an "iPhone 7" rear casing sporting a quad-speaker array and vertically arranged rear camera, microphone and True Tone flash module, both hallmark design features seen on Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro.
Running out of space on your iPhone can be extremely frustrating. Whether you're looking to install a cool app recommended by friends or want to add to your photo collection, being limited by a lack of space is exasperating to say the least. Instead of deleting files and apps, though, there are a few simple ways to free up space on your iPhone to make room for new data.
Saturday, May 21, 2016
Google's Android installed base has long suffered a major problem with fragmentation at the OS API level, due to the fact that licensees continue shipping low end phones paired with old versions of Android. Here's what the company is ostensibly doing to address that in a new project introduced at its I/O 2016 conference: Instant Apps.
Over the last year, the pace of Google's Android deployment, already very slow, actually rolled backward by 20 percent over the previous year. Google is leading Android and Chrome toward stagnant beleaguerment.
As anticipated, Apple CEO Tim Cook met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday, talking about issues such as retail stores, manufacturing, and app development, according to reports.
Apple CEO Tim Cook was on tour in India this week, but some of the most attention-grabbing news actually happened elsewhere, for instance giving a glimpse at what 2017 iPhones will look like, and solidifying Apple's financial future.
Friday, May 20, 2016
Apple CEO Tim Cook continued a tour of India on Friday, granting a one-on-one interview with a local television network that offered a bit more insight into the company's ambitions for the developing market.
Because of production problems, Sony is behind schedule in producing dual-lens camera modules for Apple, which may turn to LG to provide the majority of initial modules for this year's 5.5-inch "Plus" iPhone, a research analyst claimed on Friday.
Barely a year old, Apple Watch has already seen two major releases of watchOS—a remarkably rapid pace of platform development, even for Apple. Here's a look at what we can expect to hear about watchOS 3 at Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developer Conference.
Samsung Electronics has begun talks with entertainment companies to sell an online TV service, potentially beating to market Apple, whose own talks to offer a subscription video content plan have apparently stalled.
The iPhone may have a small marketshare in India, but the company isn't worried about that and is instead holding out for the long-term, Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an interview published on Friday.
Following reports of broken updates, Apple has pulled the iOS 9.3.2 update for the latest-generation 9.7-inch iPad Pro, promising that a fix is in the works.
BMW — one of the few major automakers without support for Apple's CarPlay — should finally begin offering the technology later this year through two new vehicles, according to an official pricelist.
Apple's year-over-year drop in smartphone sales during the March quarter also caused the company to lose marketshare, though part of the shift can be linked to fast-rising Chinese smartphone makers, according to new research data.
The FBI's attempt to expand its surveillance and hacking authority, spotlighted by a public spat over encryption with Apple, has met resistance from members of the U.S. Senate, where a newly introduced bill would block search warrants for remote devices [updated].
Google's forthcoming Daydream platform for virtual reality has support from Android device makers including Samsung, HTC, LG, and Huawei, though the hardware is predicted to only be "slightly better" than Samsung's own Gear VR.
Apple is now hiring retail workers for its first store in Brooklyn , suggesting that the company's anticipated project in New York City's most populous borough will open its doors by the end of the year.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast talks the future of HomeKit, hedge funds and AAPL, India, plus 'iPhone 7'
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, we talk about Google's new Home speaker announced at I/O 2016 and what it could mean for Apple's Siri and HomeKit. Plus, we discuss Fitbit's purchase of Coin, Android Pay, Tim Cook's trip to India, and the latest "iPhone 7" scuttlebutt.
Thursday, May 19, 2016
Samsung on Thursday announced it will bring its Samsung Pay mobile payments service to China through a partnership with e-commerce giant Alibaba's financial arm, an institution once rumored to be negotiating an identical deal for Apple Pay.
San Francisco-based WaterField Designs this week is partnering with AppleInsider to offer readers the chance to win a designer Cozmo 2.0 Laptop Bag in their choice of color and size — or the updated Cargo Bag in one of two colors.
As part of Apple's tour of India, the company's environment and government affairs chief Lisa Jackson visited a school in Rajasthan this week to meet with so-called "solar mamas," or women trained in the manufacture and assembly of solar lamps build solar powered lanterns.
- OWC expands Boot Camp compatibility to all SSDs, eases storage upgrade path for Mac
- Apple Pay gains support for Chime online bank, Chase offers free Clapton album
- Apple might let users unlock Mac via Touch ID on iPhone with OS X 10.12
- Uber unleashes experimental self-driving car on streets of Pittsburgh
- How Apple Watch became the iPod of the future
- Google won't retire Hangouts after Allo launch, plans two-front attack against Apple iMessage
- Glass-based iPhone redesign coming in 2017, Apple partner Catcher reaffirms
- Apple unveils Union Square store in San Francisco ahead of Saturday opening
- Developers report trouble registering 9.7" iPad Pros for testing
- Killer Deal: $50-$80 off Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad Pros (128GB & 256GB) with no tax outside NY
- Apple's Tim Cook attends dinner party with Bollywood celebrities
- Donald Trump, who called for a boycott of Apple, reveals he owns over $1M in company stock
- Apple quietly toughens rules forcing passcode unlocks of Touch ID devices
- Apple opens Maps development center in Hyderabad, India
- New details in 'iPhone' trademark case punctuate Apple's ongoing legal problems in China
- Apple reminds developers of impending iAd App Network shutdown, APIs to be deprecated
- Control your Bentley's seat massagers from your wrist with new Apple Watch app
- Apple mulls permanent expansion of Fifth Avenue store, feels 'entitled' to cut-rate FAO Schwarz lease
- I/O 2016: Android Pay coming to ATMs & mobile Chrome users
- Acura's sleeker 2nd-gen self-driving car hides sensors for better aesthetics
- I/O 2016: Google launches Android N beta with speed boosts, VR hooks & iOS-drawn improvements
- I/O 2016: Google Allo smart messenger and Duo video calling coming to iOS, Android this summer
- I/O 2016: Google's new Home hardware takes on Apple's HomeKit and Siri
- Leaked screens show Siri in Apple's upcoming OS X 10.12 with always-on 'Hey Siri'
- Fitbit buys Coin assets, makes plans to enter same mobile payment space as Apple Pay
- Killer Deals: Apple's 128GB 12.9-inch iPad Pro (WiFi, Silver) for $745, 13" MacBook Pro for $1,149
- Proposed Pebble Time smart band could add standalone GPS, double battery life to 14 days
- Tim Cook, other Apple execs to talk iPhone partnerships during India trip
- Didi Chuxing president hints at tech link for Apple's $1 billion investment
- Microsoft sells Nokia feature phone division to Foxconn for $350M
Wednesday, May 18, 2016