One of Apple's "wireless devices" recently submitted for approval by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission turns out to have been a door access system, likely for the Apple Park campus opening in April, according to a manual and photos published by the government body on Sunday.
Sunday, March 19, 2017
If you're a seasoned iPhone pro, or a new user, the vast amount of simple photography apps can be staggering — AppleInsider picks out four cheap or free ones for you to try.
Apple has several elements of a social network already, with evidence pointing to plans for expansion. Here's why the company needs a strong social strategy, and how a social network from Apple could uniquely address the issues of online harassment, fake news, surveillance advertising, clickbait and viral plagiarism.
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Google Calendar could be better designed but it's hard to beat on features. AppleInsider investigates how well Google's calendar integrates with Apple's own.
Apple CEO Tim Cook offered remarks on globalization, cybersecurity, encryption, international relations and more during a rare public appearance in China, part of the executive's attempts to woo Chinese consumers.
This week on AI: Apple's not-so-curved 'iPhone 8,' new iPads coming soon, 4K Apple TV in testing & more
This week we learned that Apple's "iPhone 8" may have a curved OLED screen, but not as curved as some were anticipating. Future iPads also made the news, along with possible signs that Apple is already testing a 4K Apple TV running "tvOS 11."
Friday, March 17, 2017
A series of major brands have pulled ads from Google's YouTube following reports that their ads are being shown next to terrorist, hate group and other offensive or controversial videos.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
According to a recent report, Apple appears to be bringing its AppleCare+ plan for iPhone more in line with offerings for the Mac and Apple TV, and looks to be allowing users to purchase the plan up to a year after initial device purchase.
Google this week updated its Motion Stills app — which stabilizes Apple's Live Photos, and enables quick creation of GIFs and short movies — with support for exporting back to the Live Photos format. Here's how to do that and use the app in general.
After some criticism about the artist's integrity and independence, Chance the Rapper made a series of tweets and revealed some of the only solid information about what Apple pays for exclusive releases on Apple Music.
Computer simulations, and the means to visualize them, could be in the palm of your hand in new and potentially revolutionary ways later this year, if rumors about Apple's forthcoming "iPhone 8" bear fruit.
Apple is on track to resume iPhone sales in Indonesia toward the end of the month, a report said on Friday, following a roughly two-year period during which sourcing requirements kept the device off the local market.
Apple is planning to grow its presence in India over the next year by expanding the number of Apple Authorized Reseller locations, with the addition of over 100 small stores believed to be a six-fold increase in the number of outlets already in operation in the country.
Deals: 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,719; $15 bonus with $150 Best Buy gift code; Samsung 55" 4K TV $1,099 with no tax in 48 states
Shoppers this week can save $80 on Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray. Or receive a $15 bonus with $150 Best Buy gift code purchases. Samsung's 55" 4K Curved LED TV is also $2,900 off today only, and PDF Expert 2.2 is $24.99 with coupon.
Apple's MagSafe and Lightning cables are notorious for fraying under heavy use. If you want to repair your cable, rather than purchase a replacement, Sugru Moldable Glue could be the solution you've been seeking.
Apple will continue to highlight independently-produced games in the iOS App Store, with a new permanent 'Indie Games' collection accessible within the store, following after a 12-day promotion used to 'celebrate' the work of smaller game development studios.
More than 80 percent of light fittings found in common households are now supported by Philips Hue connected lighting, thanks to the launch of new E14 candle/chandelier-sized sockets, in both multi-color and white ambiance versions.
Apple on Friday announced plans to set up two new research centers in China, spending a minimum of 3.5 billion yuan — $507 million — on research institutions overall.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mikey talk about the evidence of new iPads and the rumored event, the concept of removing large numbers of apps from the App Store, and the idea of Swatch making a smart watch.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Soverain Software, a non-practicing entity that gained media attention for suing Newegg and other online retailers over "shopping cart" patents, on Thursday filed a complaint against Apple for alleged infringement of IP relating to internet-based services.
AppleInsider goes hands-on with D-Link's new Omna, the first internet connected security camera to feature integration with Apple's HomeKit platform and iOS 10 Home app.
With the release of iOS 10, Apple introduced a new way for developers to add integrated new features for iMessage users. Here's how to use Fandango's app to explore movie listings, share showtime options with chat participants, select seats and purchase tickets with Apple Pay—all within iMessage.
Netflix may make it even easier for its subscribers using iPhones to follow its original content in the future, an executive for the streaming service has revealed, advising that the firm is currently exploring the possibility of making mobile device-specific versions of its shows.
The Swatch Group will be paving its own road into the smartwatch space with a custom operating system, the company's CEO said on Thursday, with the OS going up against mature software from incumbents Apple Watch and Google's Android Wear platform.
Apple News is proving to be a success story for venues fully invested in it, with The Telegraph seeing readers coming from the service spending more time on articles, and greater numbers of articles read per user.
Nostalgic Apple fans with deep pockets can now purchase a custom-painted iPhone 7 Plus "Retro Edition" from ColorWare, designed to look like a vintage Macintosh computer from the 1980s, for a princely sum of $1,899.
Starting Thursday, Apple Music launched a new user-driven promotional program on Twitter with the hashtag "#MusicForEveryMinute", promoted by student ambassadors who will be rewarded with an extra three months of free subscription.
Spotify is nearing new deals with major record labels that could result in some albums becoming exclusives to its paid tier, a report said on Thursday.
Apple is adding to its existing patents for automatically unlocking an iPhone using facial recognition, according to a patent application published on Thursday, revealing the Cupertino firm is still refining alternative methods of biometric security it could use in future mobile devices.
Hulu this week updated the teaser page for its upcoming live TV service, revealing some of its planned features — most notably cloud DVR support, which should be ready from the beginning.
Developer Firi Games claims to have seen a single instance of an unreleased Apple TV, running a new version of tvOS — which may be the postulated 4K version of the product thought to be in testing.
Only 72 hours after the the sixth beta release of macOS 10.12.4 and iOS 10.3, Apple has made available the seventh iteration of the test software to developers, with little increment in release numbers suggesting an imminent release for users. [Updated with public beta info]
Amazon on Thursday began updating its official app for iOS to bring support for Alexa, its voice-driven personal assistant, officially to the iPhone, allowing users to ask questions, shop, play music and more.
The "EzRecLN" capture device allows for capture of video from a connected iOS device, with a stream able to be sent across a USB cable, or stored on a micro SD card installed into the device.
Accessory maker iLuv on Thursday opened up sales of the Rainbow8, a new HomeKit-ready lightbulb that connects via Wi-Fi without requiring a dedicated hub.
Apple supplier Jabil earnings report suggests steady demand for iPhone 7 Plus, great demand for 'iPhone 8'
A pair of analysts have chimed in on Apple supplier Jabil's positive quarterly earnings report through February, and sees signs that Apple's seasonal decrease in iPhone sales may not be as pronounced as expected.
The re-release of the iPhone 6 with 32 gigabytes of storage is expanding into another territory, after launches in India, China, and Taiwan in recent months, with a premium reseller offering the unusual-capacity handset to customers in Belarus beginning next week.
On Thursday WePay — an online payments platform with clients like Meetup, GoFundMe, and FreshBooks — announced that its clients can now accept Apple Pay on the Web, along with Android Pay.
- Apple-backed think tank calls for radical changes to Chinese economic policy
- With 'iPhone 8,' Apple & Samsung to dominate 2017 OLED supply, squeezing out others
- Apple inventions again point to work on health-tracking AirPods
- Apple Park Flyover imagery, informational data shows up in latest Apple Maps update
- Apple's U.S. forestry programs generated more than 13,000 metric tons of wood in 2016, created jobs
- Last call! The Big AppleCare Sale: Save $50 to $130 on standalone AppleCare plans with no tax in 48 states
- Tips and tricks for using Apple's Powerbeats3 headphones
- Kantar: iPhone 7 top selling smartphone in U.S., Europe & urban China
- Services growth on track to deliver big long-term payout for Apple, analyst says
- Chrome 57 for Mac throttles background tabs for better CPU use & battery life
- Polar H10 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor offers enhanced accuracy, iPhone connectivity
- McDonald's tests mobile ordering from iOS app ahead of global rollout
- Apple's Brickell City Centre store in downtown Miami to open on March 25
- Australian banks call alternatives to NFC 'unrealistic' in fight to avoid using Apple Pay
- Supply chain suggests Apple's 'iPhone 8' will sport mildly curved Samsung OLED screen
- Samsung could rejoin Apple's iPhone processor supply with 2018 'A12' chips
- Speculation suggests Apple could debut new 9.7-inch iPad next week
- Over 187,000 apps could become obsolete with Apple's 64-bit only 'iOS 11'
- Pegatron confirms it can build the iPhone in the US, assuming Apple picks up all the costs
- Why Apple is unlikely to ditch Touch ID for facial recognition with 'iPhone 8'
- New photo of Apple's iPhone repair and calibration machine surfaces online
- Google adds Safari-like 'Reading List' feature to Chrome for iOS
- Samsung plays catch-up with Apple, promises monthly security updates for unlocked US phones
- Survivor's guide to taxes: The best tax software for Macs
- Russia finds Apple guilty of ordering iPhone price fixing with local retailers
- New terminal could bring Apple Pay to more restaurant tables
- Apple Park HQ buttressed by Central & Wolfe 'AC3' campus in Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Rare functional Apple-1 hits auction block in May with $320,000 estimated price
- Apple issues sixth betas of watchOS 3.2, tvOS 10.2 to developers
- Hacker, iOS researcher Jonathan Zdziarski hired by Apple's device security department
- 'Proton' Mac trojan has Apple code-signing signatures, sold to 'customers' for $50K
- Apple & others back Google in opposing FBI warrant for overseas emails
- Concept imagines Apple's 'iPhone 8' with Siri-based augmented reality
- LG UltraFine 5K disconnect saga seemingly over, third parties used to retrofit RF shielding
- Rumor: Apple to debut 10.5-inch iPad Pro at special event in early April
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Tuesday, March 14, 2017