It took eight quarters, but Apple has recovered its spot at the top of the worldwide smartphone market from Android device maker Samsung, according to the latest numbers from research firm Gartner.
Thursday, February 16, 2017
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
AppleInsider would like to congratulate the winner of our latest giveaway, Joe M., who will receive a pair of Apple's brand-new AirPods.
A feature you're bound to see more of in streaming video apps is support for offline caching — that is, the ability to temporarily download a show or movie so you can watch it later without internet access. Here's how to do it for Netflix, one of the most popular video services on iPhone and iPad.
Apple will ditch the home button when it debuts a new 'iPhone 8' model later this year, and will dedicate the extra screen real estate to an area for virtual buttons, according to KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Comcast to launch Xfinity Stream app for iOS in prep for wider Stream TV rollout, no tvOS support so far
U.S. TV and internet provider Comcast has announced an upcoming iOS and Android app called Xfinity Stream, which will not only replace the existing Xfinity TV app for cable subscribers, but lay the foundations for a wider rollout of Stream TV — its internet-only TV service — under different branding later this year.
This one often overlooked keyboard button unlocks options and speeds up your work all over macOS — AppleInsider shares a few of our favorites.
3D laser scanner possibly destined for Apple's 'iPhone 8' expected to add facial recognition, future AR use
The 3D laser scanning module that may make an appearance on the "iPhone 8" raises a number of questions, and a new report attempts to shed some light on the subject, including what model of iPhone it might appear on this year.
Spanish police have arrested ten people for repeatedly stealing iPhones from an Apple Store in Madrid over a two-month period, with gang members caught on camera chewing through the security tethers used to protect the store from theft.
A messaging app available for both iPhone and Mac called Confide is finding unusual success at the Trump administration White House — both among government staff and journalists.
Jaguar Land Rover and Shell have collaborated on a new payment system that can be used to purchase fuel at Shell service stations without leaving the vehicle, with an app for the car's infotainment system launching in the UK with support for Apple Pay.
Though Apple is working on launching Apple Pay in South Korea, the mobile payments system is still some ways out — and the company has yet to hold a critical meeting with the government, according to a local report.
In an interview this week, Apple's Chief Financial Luca Maestri addressed questions regarding Apple's research spending, a possible import tax as part of a larger reform package, and the new Apple Headquarters as tourist attraction.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
The latest patch for GarageBand for the Mac fixes a vulnerability in the music creation software that a security researcher claims could be exploited by an attacker, by using malformed project files to execute malicious code.
Apple has been unable to pull off large acquisitions because it often feels it doesn't need to, but also because of its hesitant approach to the process, a report suggested on Wednesday.
Foxconn's delayed plans to build a manufacturing plant in Maharashtra, India may finally bear fruit, with Foxconn executives reportedly meating with the region's Chief Minister to hammer out some details.
A day after the D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD showed up on Apple's website in Europe, the HomeKit-connected accessory is now available to purchase in the U.S. and elsewhere, with the first deliveries arriving as soon as next week.
As it looks to bolster its supply of OLED panels, a hot commodity that remains in short supply worldwide, Apple is reportedly considering Chinese firm BOE as a supplier of next-gen iPhone screens.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
A report on Tuesday claims Apple is planning to send a representative to testify against a proposed "Right to Repair" bill in Nebraska that would require the company provide consumers and third-party repair shops access to service manuals and parts.
Audio solutions specialist Pioneer on Tuesday announced Rayz, a wired earphone that leverages Lightning to power six onboard microphones, sensor-less ear detection and mapping, a dedicated multifunction button and, on one model, a unique in-line charging node.
In a rare promotional tie-in, Apple has quietly updated its Siri virtual assistant with a series of comedic phrases that relate to the recently released "LEGO Batman Movie" from Warner Brothers.
A Russian hacking group accused of interfering with last year's presidential election has evolved its Xagent malware package, known for its ability to infiltrate Windows, iOS, Android and Linux devices, to target Macs, according to a report on Tuesday.
For some people, the Wallet app in iOS might be synonymous with Apple Pay — something you only see briefly after double-tapping the home button. For the experienced though, it's also a way of keeping passes handy without stuffing paper copies in your pocket.
Investor Warren Buffet bet big on Apple during the fourth quarter of 2016, as a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday reveals Berkshire Hathaway now owns more than 57 million shares of the tech giant.
Apple's shares are continuing to increase in value, with market movements pushing the iPhone producer's stock price beyond yesterday's record-setting value, by hitting a new intra-day record of $135.09, as well as ending the day with an all-time closing high of $135.01.
Disney and Google have drawn back their support of "PewDiePie," a leading YouTube star and the centerpiece of the YouTube Red subscription service, after a recent video featured an anti-Semitic joke. The shakeup comes just as Apple has begun teasing two upcoming exclusive programs for Apple Music.
D-Link has started to ship its HomeKit-compatible Omna 180 Cam HD in Europe, with the network-connected camera now appearing in regional online Apple Stores in the United Kingdom, France, and Germany.
Alphabet's Nest is rolling out updates to its Nest Aware cloud platform and its iOS app, updating notifications with a preview of Nest Cam feeds before entering the app, as well as the ability to automatically detect doors within a camera's view.
Facebook's rumored video app for the Apple TV has been confirmed, with the company declaring that it will be available to fourth -eneration Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV owners soon.
With BeatsX, Apple takes the best of Beats by Dre's line of minimalist earphones in-ear monitors wireless, incorporating the new W1 chip, top-notch materials and unique Flex Form neck strap into a consumer-friendly design.
Apple on Tuesday released a video ad promoting the iPhone 7 Plus in Brazil, linking it to the start of the country's annual Carnival season.
Amazon on Tuesday introduced Chime, a new video meeting service backed by apps for Mac and iOS, as well as Windows and Android.
Apple is holding its second Taiwanese bond sale, with the latest debt offering aiming to bring in an additional $1 billion in cash, a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission reveals.
In an interview, "Pokémon Go" developer Niantic's claims that trading and player-versus-player battles are in development, and will be available to players incrementally over a few updates soon to come to the title.
Following 15 hours of questioning the executive on Monday, a South Korean special prosecutor's office is once again seeking an arrest warrant for the head of the Samsung Group — Jay Y. Lee — in an influence-peddling scandal threatening to topple the country's President, Park Geun-hye.
A new report from Chinese manufacturers reinforces the reports that the next wave of iPhones will have three releases in 4.7-, 5.5-, and 5.8-inch screen sizes, and names China-based Foxconn and Catcher Technology, plus U.S. based Jabil Circuit as suppliers.
An Apple patent grant on Tuesday suggests the company is looking to leverage its LuxVue acquisition to integrate display technology capable of reading a user's fingerprint without a dedicated sensor, a design feature rumored to see release with "iPhone 8."
ExclusiveKiller Deals: 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,649; 27" iMac 5K (upgraded Apple refurb) for $1,499; fully loaded 12" MacBook $1,499
B&H Photo is offering readers $150 off Apple's Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray plus free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY and NJ. The first 10 shoppers can also save $250 on a loaded 2015 12" MacBook — and eBay has an upgraded 3.3GHz 27" iMac 5K with M395 graphics for $1,499.99 ($800 off new) through 8 a.m. Pacific.
Apple's internet service chief Eddy Cue in an interview Monday night said the tech sector has a responsibility to protect consumers from the recent scourge of fake news, revealing Apple is working on backend solutions to the problem.
- Apple's Eddy Cue reveals first 'Planet of the Apps' clip, says 'Carpool Karaoke' to debut in April
- Apple CFO Luca Maestri to speak at Goldman Sachs conference on Tuesday
- Fox brings 'Movie of the Day' promo app to Apple TV
- How to watch Apple SVP Eddy Cue's interview at Code Media live
- T-Mobile parries Verizon, adds HD video and 10GB mobile tethering to unlimited plan
- Apple stock hits all-time high of $133.29, market capitalization approaching $700 billion
- Latest Apple ads showcase composition, focus features in iPhone 7 Plus Portrait photos
- Staff leave Google's self-driving car team after reaping massive bonuses
- CareKit, hardware design net Apple 4th place on Fast Company 2017 'Most Innovative Companies' list
- 'Apple Cafe' from 1996 shows early work on branded retail presence
- Apple Maps gains public transit directions for Detroit/Windsor area
- Goldman Sachs raises Apple target to $150 in anticipation of blockbuster 'iPhone 8'
- Head of Samsung brought in for second round of questioning in Korean corruption scandal
- As investors overlook Apple's Services business, stock price declared 10% too low
- Target denies reports of imminent Apple Pay addition to retail stores
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' to boast larger Plus-sized battery in form factor similar to 4.7" iPhone 7
- Apple suspends sales of LG's UltraFine 5K monitor over hardware issues
- Mystery wireless Apple device goes through FCC testing for a third time
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium ahead of 'iPhone 8'
- Apple and Samsung allegedly forge $4.3 billion deal for 5-inch iPhone OLED screens
- Editorial: Why Apple ignores so much pundit innovation advice
- Apple sponsors San Francisco BSides security conference
- Carpool Karaoke trailer pops up during Grammy awards, debut still not yet set
- Verizon Unlimited plan resurrected with 4G, talk, text for $80 per month [u]
- Australian banks eliminate fee demands, focus legal assault on opening up Apple Pay NFC tech
- Prince's Warner Brothers music catalog lands on Apple Music, other streaming services
- Hands On: Taskpaper 3.6.2 aims to make your To Do list easier to plow through
- Head to head: Apple's BeatsX vs. AirPods
- Apple shares new Apple Watch Series 2 ad featuring Activity rings
- Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 8' will use separate wireless charging accessory, ditch Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter
- Apple's 'Planet of the Apps' series principal filming concludes — report
- Review: Kanex's GoPower Watch portable battery for Apple Watch is good, but would be great with a Lightning port
- This week on AI: $1,000+ 'iPhone X,' Apple opposes Trump immigration ban, AR glasses in 2017 & more
- First look: Apple's BeatsX earphones with integrated W1 chip
- Tim Cook says AR is a 'big idea,' likens tech to smartphone
- AirPods TV commercial took sales of Marian Hill's song 'Down' from 'negligible' to 'magical'
- Shipping times for Apple's BeatsX earbuds slip to as long as 2-3 weeks
- Matte black iPhone 7 owners complain to Apple about chipping paint finish
- Apple Pay VP says Australian banks short-circuited adoption by sidestepping talks
- How to enable two-step verification in WhatsApp for Apple's iPhone
- Apple meets with Chinese consumer watchdog in Beijing to talk iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Apple's Tim Cook visits UK's Regent Street store, Tate gallery & ustwo Games, talks 'fake news' in interview
- Rumor: Apple to begin 'iPhone 8' production earlier than usual with more stringent inspection requirements
- AppleInsider podcast talks wireless charging, 'iPhone 8' rumors, Apple Watch weather apps, more
- Apple's W1-equipped BeatsX earphones now available to purchase after months-long delay
Monday, February 13, 2017
Sunday, February 12, 2017
Saturday, February 11, 2017
Friday, February 10, 2017