Across Apple's fiscal 2015, annual iPad unit sales fell by an astounding 19 percent while iPad revenues fell 23 percent, a plunge from fiscal 2014 of just over $7 billion. The tech industry pundits love to talk about the failure of Apple's tablet business, but are short on the specifics of what's happening. Here's why.
Sunday, November 15, 2015
Saturday, November 14, 2015
The iPad Pro is Apple's most fully realized example yet of the future of computing, with a workhorse of a processor and a beautiful 12.9-inch Retina display packed inside a svelte, ultraportable design. Current limitations with iOS apps prevent it from being a PC replacement for the most demanding tasks, and at $799 it won't appeal to casual users, but we are confident the iPad Pro will carve out a niche in the high-end market.
Friday, November 13, 2015
It seems that select Apple Store locations are organizing accessories into collections called "feature bays" to enhance the in-store shopping experience, with the first arrangement advertising iPhone photography products.
Apple was hit with another class action lawsuit over iOS 9's new Wi-Fi Assist feature on Friday, with plaintiffs seeking a jury trial for damages in excess of $5 million.
At least eleven people were injured, five critically, on Friday after a double-decker tour bus slammed into cars, protective barriers and scaffolding before coming to a stop at the construction site of Apple's upcoming flagship store in San Francisco on Friday.
According to a report on Friday, iOS app developers have noticed a change in the App Store's search algorithms that appears to return more relevant results for direct app searches by going deeper than title and assigned keyword metadata.
Apple Pay might soon let you send person-to-person payments, but you don't need to wait on Cupertino to split the cost of a pizza without cash. AppleInsider took a look at some of the most popular money transfer apps available now for iOS.
Tim Cook responds to 'unacceptable' Apple Store racism incident, says it 'does not represent our values'
Apple chief executive Tim Cook on Friday told employees that the incident at an Australian Apple Store earlier this week — in which a group of black students was asked to leave for fear that they might be thieves — calling the situation "unacceptable."
Horipad Ultimate, a new Apple-licensed gaming controller for both iOS and the fourth-generation Apple TV, is now available for purchase, sporting a built-in Lightning port for recharging its internal battery.
Apple supplier Quanta is said to be preparing for the debut of a new Apple Watch by the end of the second quarter of 2016, which would place its launch slightly later in the year than the first-generation model.
Apple has some helpful tips for consumers who are having trouble deciding on gifts for their tech-savvy friends and family, launching a new edition of its annual holiday gift guide featuring the latest from Apple and its favorite partners.
On this week's all-new AppleInsider podcast, Neil reviews the iPad Pro and talks about the Logitech Create keyboard. Mikey talks about SixtyEight Research and its connections to an 'Apple Car.' Rumors say no AMOLED before 2019 for iPhones, and the Steve Jobs movie gets booted out of theaters.
One day after launching its extra large iPad Pro, Apple is throwing a spotlight on apps that take advantage of the tablet's massive 12.9-inch Retina display, titles compatible with Apple Pencil, "desktop-class" software, games and more.
Pushing closer toward its goal of opening 40 Apple Stores in China by mid-2016, Apple on Thursday announced its newest regional outlet in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, will start accepting customers on Nov. 21.
Thursday, November 12, 2015
An inevitable end of services is about to befall Beats Music, which will officially shut down operations on Nov. 30 after being acquired by Apple and seeing its music curation and playlist generation technology infused into Apple Music.
B&H slashes 2015 MacBook Pros by $200-$350 , iMac 4Ks and 5Ks by $150-$200, 13" MacBook Airs by $100-$450, iPad Air 2 by $30-$70, iPad mini 4 by $30
Delivering the lowest prices ever on numerous models, B&H's holiday sale knocks $300 off 15" MacBook Pros (2015), $200-$300 off 13" MacBook Pros (2015), $170-$200 off 12" MacBooks, $100-$170 off 11" & 13" MacBook Airs (2015), up to $30 off iPad mini 4 and up to $70 off iPad Air 2.
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Apple is already showing stockouts of certain iPad Pro models less than two days after kicking off preorders, while shipping estimates for Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard, both deemed essential to the iPad Pro experience, have fallen to 4 to 5 weeks.
A day after iPad Pro launched on Wednesday, teardowns and reviews of the gigantic tablet reveal Apple quietly included USB controller hardware capable of supporting high-speed USB 3.0 data connections, suggesting a faster Lightning protocol is in the works.
In a bid to address the growing smartwatch market, established consumer wristwatch maker Fossil on Thursday announced an agreement to acquire wearables firm Misfit for $260 million.
Samsung Electronics has unveiled its new Exynos 8 Octa chip, combining its first custom 64-bit ARMv8 CPU core with the company's proprietary mobile baseband in the same package. But while claiming leadership, the new chip trails Apple in performance.
Two web giants released major updates for iOS users Thursday, with YouTube announcing a brand new music discovery app and Facebook adding support for 360-degree video in its existing iOS app.
With a unique design that places its motors inside the rear wheels, plus connectivity with the iPhone and Apple Watch, the forthcoming Inboard M1 electric skateboard promises to be a ride unlike any other. AppleInsider has tested the company's latest prototype ahead of an early 2016 launch.
Investment firm Cowen and Company has a bullish outlook for Apple's new iPad Pro, citing performance benchmarks that show the device is capable of replacing many mainstream laptops running an Intel processor.
Gold and Silver iPad Pros are in stock at MacMall, while B&H's iPad sale knocks up to $30 off iPad mini 4, $70 off iPad Air, and $200 off iPad Air. There's also 24 hours left to save up to $350 on 2015 MacBook Pros. Or grab a brand new iMac 5K with AppleCare for $1,699 ($269 off).
Many Mac owners have found themselves forced to delete and re-download Mac App Store apps after what appears to be a certificate expiration error caused the operating system to mistakenly identify the apps as damaged.
Mozilla on Thursday released a version of its popular Firefox browser for iOS, giving Apple users an additional option for browsing the Web over iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.
Apple recently began equipping its retail stores with advanced tables that allow hidden power and data ports to be exposed with a simple hand gesture, and a new patent filing details the technology behind it, as well as other potential future implementations.
A group of black high school students were asked to leave an Apple Store in Australia after security became concerned that they "might steal something," prompting the store manager to issue an apology.
When Apple first unveiled iPad Pro, it noted that its custom designed A9X chip would be faster than 80 percent of the PCs that shipped this year. Benchmarks indicate that it's not just faster than low end generic PCs, but also faster — and less expensive — than Microsoft's Surface Pro 4.
An Apple invention published on Thursday points to work on water resistant portable devices capable of expelling water from speaker and microphone cavities using varied electric charges and acoustics.
Apple late in the day on Wednesday released a third beta version of the upcoming OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan update to registered public beta program testers.
Wednesday, November 11, 2015
According to a report on Wednesday, Apple's plan to build research and development facilities in Indonesia, a move formulated to satisfy a new rule requiring that foreign made phones contain a percentage of domestically produced components, has been approved by that country's government.
Repair firm iFixit performed its usual launch day Apple device teardown on the iPad Pro on Wednesday, revealing a reworked internal design dominated by massive batteries and bespoke audio components.
The onscreen keyboard with Apple's iPad Pro includes a dedicated number and character row, as well as buttons for caps lock, tab and more, taking advantage of the device's spacious 12.9-inch display.
During a recent visit to the UK, Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down to discuss Apple Pay with Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne, suggesting the budding payments service could get a government-sponsored boost in streamlining adoption.
Popular Disney-themed sandbox game Disney Infinity — which melds physical toys with a virtual universe — is set to debut on the Apple TV, one of the first console games to make the jump to Apple's new set-top box.
The next phase of Apple's mobile payments initiative could reportedly include a new feature that allows users to send money to one another directly, with negotiations between Apple and major U.S. banks already underway.
Though it includes the same M9 motion coprocessor as the new iPhone 6s series, Apple's iPad Pro does not offer support for always-on "Hey Siri" voice controls when operating on battery power.
Apple's new iPad Pro is here, boasting 5.6 million pixels packed into its 12.9-inch Retina display, along with a powerful A9X processor that actually outclasses the new 12-inch MacBook. AppleInsider offers a first look at the jumbo-sized, top-of-the-line iPad.
- Deals: iPad Pros in stock, $150-$170 off iMac 5Ks, $150-$350 off 2015 MacBook Pros, 50% off water-proof iPhone 6 case
- Microsoft's Surface Book 'tries too hard,' Tim Cook says
- iPad Pro reviews: great hardware, but potential is limited thanks to iOS
- Apple will add 1,000 positions for manufacturing, customer service in Ireland
- First look: Logitech Create is first third-party Smart Connector keyboard for iPad Pro
- Apple acquired 15 companies this year, but the identity of 6 remain a mystery
- Apple kicks off iPad Pro preorders online, in-store pickup starts today
- Adele might skip '25' release on Spotify in favor of Apple Music, other paid services
- T-Mobile debuts 'Binge On' free video streaming program, double data allotments
- Apple pulls popular Instagram client 'InstaAgent' from iOS App Store after malware discovery
- Apple increases TestFlight beta groups to 2,000 users, 60-day evaluation periods
- Lowest Prices Ever: 13" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB, 256GB) for $1,349, 15" MacBook Pro (2.8GHz, 16GB 1TB M370X) for $2,849.00
- Google bringing expanded offline maps, navigation to iOS
- Google to discontinue Chrome support for OS X Snow Leopard, Lion & Mountain Lion in April 2016
- Apple TV-focused Tech Talks going on world tour from December to February
- Apple issues third betas of iOS 9.2 & OS X 10.11.2, second tvOS 9.2 beta to developers
- Apple Music for Android beta now available on Google Play
- Tim Cook says businesses should tackle climate change & equal rights proactively, not wait for governments
- Apple won't adopt AMOLED displays in iPhones until 2019 at the earliest, insider says
- Last Call: Free Apple SuperDrive and 25-100% off AppleCare on all current 13" & 15" MacBooks
- Apple shares dive on rumors of weak iPhone 6s demand
- Tim Cook slams UK spy bill that could require breakable encryption
- Apple loses Mac engineering chief, former Mercedes R&D exec Johann Jungwirth to Volkswagen
- iPad Pro predicted to push tablet sales back up to 15% of Apple's total revenue
- China to clamp down on Internet music platforms in 2016
- Review: Apple's 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display still best all-in-one around
- Angela Ahrendts offers deep dive into Apple retail, future aspirations
- Apple goes to space in first iPad Pro ad, touts split screen multitasking & Apple Pencil
- Latest Xcode update fixes critical Interface Builder, debugging, UI testing issues
- Tim Cook hints at new health product, touts iPad Pro as PC replacement in interview
- Shadowy group linked to Apple's 'Project Titan' spotted at auto industry conference
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says he travels with just an iPad Pro and iPhone
- TAG Heuer unveils $1,500 'Connected' smartwatch running Android Wear
- First software update for the new 4th-gen Apple TV brings tvOS 9.0.1
- Universal drops Steve Jobs movie from thousands of theaters after poor box office results
- Apple's iPad Pro available to order Wednesday, delivers later this week
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Monday, November 09, 2015