Despite having provided aid in the past, Apple is withholding financial and technological support from this year's Republican presidential convention — owing to controversial positions by candidate Donald Trump, a report claimed on Saturday.
Saturday, June 18, 2016
In addition to reminding you to stand and walk throughout the day, watchOS 3 will also prompt Apple Watch users to take a minute to relax, focus and meditate with a new app dubbed "Breathe."
Apple's WWDC keynote provided plenty of news fodder this week, including the announcements of macOS Sierra, iOS 10, and watchOS 3 — plus many other technologies coming soon to Apple devices.
Friday, June 17, 2016
Rounding out AppleInsider's E3 coverage are two stylish mobile games, one an RPG adaptation of Korean fantasy novel Dragon Raja, and another a portable version of popular console space shooter Galak-Z.
In preparation of the iOS 10 launch this fall, Apple on Friday sent out emails inviting developers to take part in a beta testing program for Search Ads, a forthcoming iOS App Store feature designed to boost app discoverability.
Apple on Friday released an updated version of its iTunes Connect app for content providers, adding unit sales and proceeds to the Trends analytics tool.
One of the more unique games spotted by AppleInsider at this year's E3 expo was "Clapper," a two-player cooperative rhythm title that uses the iPad's FaceTime camera to track how well you play the classic children's hand clapping game "Pat-A-Cake."
A proposed rifle emoji initially set for release as part of Unicode 9.0 was removed from consideration after Unicode Consortium delegates representing Apple and Microsoft expressed disapproval of its inclusion, a report said Friday.
Apple and the World Wildlife Fund together raised more than $8 million in proceeds during April's "Apps for Earth" campaign on the App Store, the two groups have announced.
Though the annual E3 gaming expo is largely a showcase for traditional gaming consoles, AppleInsider still managed to find representation for Apple's macOS at this year's show in the form of "Block'hood," an eco-focused neighborhood-building simulator.
Luxury fashion company Coach has released its awaited Apple Watch bands both online and in retail stores, coming in nine different possible combinations priced starting at $125.
FeatureInside iOS 10: 3D Touch enhances Apple's quick Control Center shortcuts on iPhone 6s, 6s Plus
Apple's force sensing 3D Touch technology is greatly expanded in the upcoming iOS 10 update, adding new capabilities to the Control Center shortcuts for flashlight, timer, calculator and camera.
One of the stand-out Apple-compatible games spotted by AppleInsider at this year's Electronics Entertainment Expo was "Little Lords of Twilight," a free-to-play player-versus-player role-playing game coming to both iOS this fall, with a tvOS version also in the works.
Although one of the more convenient functions of iOS 10 is "Raise to Wake" for iPhones, users will need a model with Apple's M9 motion coprocessor — or its eventual successors.
iPhone shipments in the coming quarters could be lower than Wall Street expects, as Apple works to reduce excess channel inventory ahead of the anticipated "iPhone 7" launch, in what could be the last painful quarter before over a year of growth, according to Brean Capital.
Answering a long-running demand, Apple is introducing a dedicated Home app with iOS 10, giving people a central location to manage and control their HomeKit accessories.
A new patent decision accusing Apple of copying the design of a Chinese-made smartphone will not have a negative effect on Apple's revenue or margins in China, two major investment firms said on Friday.
Music selection and discovery will get easier for 15 million paying Apple Music subscribers with this fall's launch of iOS 10. Here's a closer look at the big changes coming soon to iPhone and iPad.
The design of Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is too similar to the 100C phone by Shenzhen Baili, and violates that company's patents, the Beijing Intellectual Property Office ruled on Friday.
Deals: $140-$430 off 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros with AppleCare; 32GB 9.7-inch iPad Pros (WiFi, Cellular) for $699
This week, shoppers can save $200-$430 on 15-inch MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare — plus score a free Canon printer. Or snap up a smaller 13-inch MacBook Pro, also with three years of AppleCare, for $140-$270 off MSRP. On top of that, those in the market for an iPad can grab the new 32GB 9.7-inch iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + Cellular) for $699. Systems without AppleCare are also up to $250 off.
Friday, June 17, 2016
This week on the AppleInsider former Apple technology evangelist Matt Sephton joins Victor to talk about his perspective on the week's WWDC news and shares a Steve Jobs story. Mikey chimes in with his favorite upcoming iOS 10, macOS, watchOS 3 and tvOS features.
Dubbed a "reactive" plush toy, Octobo is a soft, fuzzy octopus that turns into an interactive storybook controller with a little help from Apple's iPad.
Thursday, June 16, 2016
For all the new software platform features Apple announced this week at WWDC, including a glimpse at future iOS product capabilities and internet services enhancements, JP Morgan remains cool to the company's stock prospects for 2016.
Apple on Thursday updated its TestFlight app testing platform to support software running in the latest beta environments, and rolled out new App Store optimization and analytics tools for developers accessible through iTunes Connect.
Political publication Politico is testing out a highly unorthodox news delivery method that leverages Wallet passes to keep readers up to date on the latest poll results and news from Britain's vote to leave the European Union. And it seems to be working.
At E3 this week Square Enix announced plans to bring hit stealth action franchise Deus Ex to iOS as part of its "Go" series of mobile games, and AppleInsider was on hand check out an early version running on iPad.
Apple recently poured cold water on rumors claiming iMessage would see introduction on Google's Android platform, potentially at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference, saying the messaging service is worth more as an exclusive first-party feature.
One of the main enhancements in the iOS 10 Photos app is face, object, and scene recognition powered by advanced machine learning technology and applied to improve photo search and automated image management features.
Facebook began rolling out a new homescreen interface for its Messenger iOS app on Thursday, hot on the heels of Apple announcing iOS 10 Messages upgrades intended to compete.
In addition to voice dictation, users will also be able to compose text messages via the Apple Watch with their own handwriting, beginning with the launch of watchOS 3 later this year.
Analysts on Wall Street are increasingly expecting an incremental iPhone hardware update this year, which has led some to turn their sights to a rumored 2017 handset revamp in hopes of pushing Apple stock to new heights.
One of the most anticipated features of macOS Sierra may actually be one of the simplest: Auto Unlock, which stands to save some Mac and Apple Watch owners trouble if they regularly log in and out of their system.
Looking to compete with similar options in Google Photos and other apps, Apple's iOS 10 Photos app includes a new Memories tab, which not only groups photos into events automatically but creates customizable slideshow movies for them.
VideoVideo: See Apple Maps in iOS 10 in action, with recommended stops along route & saved parked car location
Apple Maps is far more intelligent in iOS 10, recommending possible stops along your current route, allowing plug-ins from third-party applications, and even remembering where you parked your car when you're away from home. AppleInsider offers a closer look at how the update will change how you navigate.
The iOS 10 version of Messages appears to contain a hidden "dark mode" option, potentially backing up hints that such a feature will go system-wide, or at least come to other iOS apps beyond ones like iBooks.
Apple in a patent application published on Thursday details a method of reducing image artifacts in high dynamic range (HDR) dual-layer LCDs, technology that could theoretically boost a typical display's contrast ratio to 1,000,000 to 1.
Apple on Wednesday announced the first official Apple Store in the Macau Special Administrative Region of China will open on June 25, expanding the company's retail presence in Greater China to 41 stores.
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
AppleInsider would like to congratulate the winners of last week's giveaway, Jake B. and John L., who scored an mCookie Expert Kit and Advanced Kit respectively.
Rockstar-cum-Apple executive Trent Reznor spoke out against YouTube this week, calling the free streaming platform "disingenuous" and a problem for musicians looking to earn a living, a problem solved by Apple Music's subscription sales model.
- Netflix adds long-demanded Picture in Picture support on iPad
- Shipping delays continue to dog Apple's 4" iPhone SE
- iOS 10 warns users when opening legacy apps not encoded in 64-bit
- Inside iOS 10: 3D Touch-enabled home screen widgets sidestep opening apps
- Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets improved glance-ability with new complications, watch faces
- Deals: $50-$100 off 2016 12-inch MacBooks; 38mm Apple Watch (Space Black Stainless) for $349; $200 off 2.8GHz Mac minis
- 'Universal Clipboard' for macOS Sierra & iOS 10 streamlines copy/paste between devices
- Inside iOS 10: Upgraded QuickType wields 'Siri intelligence' for contextual suggestions
- Rumor: 'Aggressive' plans for second-gen Apple Watch could ship 2M per month
- Inside iOS 10: Apple doubles down on security with cutting edge differential privacy
- Video: See Apple's overhauled iOS 10 Messages with expressive text bubbles, animations & more
- Apple SVPs Schiller and Federighi discuss Siri, Messages and more in Q&A session
- Apple mandates App Store apps support ATS security protocol by 2017
- Apple's iOS 10 makes iPad a 'Home Hub,' expands HomeKit appliance support
- MacOS Sierra code hints at MacBook Pro touch bar, Touch ID integration
- Apple's Messages target of new Uniloc patent suit
- Apple invites deaf, blind advocate Haben Girma to address developers on accessibility at WWDC16
- Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car
- Apple execs say 'no end date' to iTunes downloads, sales in better-than-expected decline
- Apple to host pop-punk band Good Charlotte at its WWDC16 Bash
- Safari 10 will prefer HTML5, require manual activations of plugins like Flash & Java
- Inside iOS 10: Apple makes News app more accessible & better organized, adds alerts
- Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets more familiar with dedicated dock button
- Inside iOS 10: Mail & Notes switch to triple-pane interfaces on 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- Apple Pay confirmed for France, Hong Kong & Switzerland in coming months
- Inside iOS 10: Third-party compatibility opens up Messages to Apple's app universe
- Siri for Mac: How it works in Apple's macOS Sierra and what it's capable of
- iOS 10 rich notifications will come to devices without 3D Touch, Apple tells developers
- How to remove Stocks, Compass and other native apps from your iPhone or iPad in iOS 10
- Flash Deal: Apple's early 2015 13-inch MacBook Air (1.6GHz, 4GB, 256GB) for $829
- Apple wins patents for transparent AR device, device with wrap-around display
- Apple removes Siri Remote requirement for gaming apps in latest tvOS beta
- AppleInsider podcast dives into Apple's WWDC 2016 keynote
- Apple reveals macOS Sierra hardware compatibility list
- Apple Design Awards go to Lara Croft Go, dj Pro, others
- How to Register for Apple's iOS 10 and macOS Sierra betas
- 'Apple File System' will scale from Apple Watch to Macs, replace HFS+
- First look: Widgets escape Notification Center, arrive on lock & home screens in iOS 10
- Apple nixes Game Center app in first iOS 10 beta
- Apple posts WWDC 2016 keynote video, iOS 10 ad, Swift developer story online [u]
- iOS 10 will allow deleting first-party apps cluttering homescreens
- Apple restricts iOS 10 to iPhone 5, 4th-gen iPad or newer [u]
- iOS 10 to offer voicemail transcription, new API for third-party VoIP apps
- iOS 10, watchOS 3 & macOS Sierra betas debut for developers today, public testers in July
- Apple brings coding to the iPad with Swift Playground
- Apple debuts 'Home' app for HomeKit device control
- iOS 10 Messages gain rich links, 3X bigger emojis, bubble effects & third-party app integration
- Apple Maps opens up to developers with extensions, Apple Music gets redesign in iOS 10
- Apple opens Siri up to developers with third-party SDK
- Apple's iOS 10 revamps lock & home screen with widgets, adds face & scene recognition to Photos
- Apple rebrands OS X as macOS, announces Sierra with Siri, plus focus on Continuity & iCloud
- New iOS Remote app will offer all abilities from Apple TV Siri Remote
- SlingTV arrives on Apple TV, Fox Sport Go, Molotov.tv, others coming soon
- Apple TV, iOS will simplify cable provider authentication with single sign-on
- Apple's watchOS 3 for Apple Watch focuses on speed, instant information
- Apple now has over 2M apps in App Store, paid nearly $50B to developers
- Giveaway: Enter to win a MacBook sleeve, iPhone case, iPad case and Briefcase bag from Pad & Quill
- AppleInsider is live at WWDC 2016 - get all the breaking news as it happens
- India asking for commitment on manufacturing before approving Apple Stores
- LinkedIn's iOS Developer Community cancels WWDC watch party after Microsoft purchase
- Foxconn chairman tells staff to expect 'feeble' iPhone sales until early 2017 - report
- Microsoft buys professional social networking service LinkedIn for $26.2B
Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Monday, June 13, 2016