Federal auto safety regulators looking to cut down on smartphone-related accidents and fatalities are asking device manufacturers like Apple and Samsung to develop and include a so-called "driver mode" in their products, a function-limited operating configuration akin to existing airplane mode settings.
Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
According to the latest estimates from market research firm Strategy Analytics, Apple iPhone sales gobbled up 91 percent of worldwide smartphone profits during the third quarter of 2016, setting a new record.
FeatureLeftovers: Here are the best Apple deals still going strong following Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Cyber Monday has come and gone, and with it, some great flash deals and many stock-outs. But dozens of killer offers still remain, such as exclusive savings on 2016 MacBook Pros, 12" MacBooks, and iMac 5Ks.
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
Apple is venturing further into the automotive industry in a deal with Indian ride-hailing firm Ola, which on Tuesday said it will offer Apple Music to passengers as part of a new in-car experience.
The U.S. branch of T-Mobile on Tuesday announced a series of Black Friday-related promotions, most notably letting people get a "free" 32-gigabyte iPhone 7 or 7 Plus with a qualifying trade-in.
In an interview on Tuesday, President-elect Donald Trump noted that Apple CEO Tim Cook had called him, but no mention was made about the topics of the conversation the pair may have had, following Trump's contentious remarks on the campaign trail.
The deal-grabbing frenzy known as Black Friday is just a few days away, and shoppers looking to nab the best deals on Apple products and accessories can get ahead of the game with a number of apps that help organize ads and track the best deals.
If you're a purchaser of the new MacBook Pro, you're probably eager to customize the Touch Bar. AppleInsider shows you how.
Contrasting with another recent online listing, electronics retailer Fry's is now saying that Apple's BeatsX earbuds will ship on Dec. 5.
iPhone owners are cautioned to be careful about tapping unsolicited links as a new five-second MP4 video, currently being shared online, is causing devices to freeze not long after it's played.
Shoppers looking to get a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar as soon as possible can avoid Apple's 4-5 week wait and order one today from an online reseller and save on tax or secure 12-month no interest financing.
According to numerous reports said to be out of Apple headquarters, the company's Chief Design Officer Jony Ive hasn't contributing much to Apple's consumer goods design as of late, and has been more interested in architecture and similar projects for the last few years.
Apple will open a new Parisian store on Dec. 3, the company has announced, marking its third in the heart of the city.
A fifth TV provider, AT&T's DirecTV, has quietly appeared as an option for people trying single sign-on support in the iOS 10.2 or tvOS 10.1 betas.
Apple has three distinct lines of laptop computers — MacBook Air, MacBook, and MacBook Pro — but the lines between them can be pretty hazy. If you're in the market for yourself, or somebody you know, AppleInsider can help if you know the answers to a few, basic questions.
An Apple patent published Tuesday reveals the company has for years been actively investigating a hinged iPhone format, with designs calling for a flexible metal-backed OLED display capable of being folded in half.
Apple late Monday night posted a webpage teasing an upcoming one-day shopping event set for Black Friday, suggesting the company is reinstating its seasonal sale.
Monday, November 21, 2016
Apple on Monday quietly released employment diversity statistics current as of July 2016, revealing high level executive and management positions are overwhelmingly filled by white males.
Apple alongside the release of its new MacBook Pro lineup partnered with display maker LG to develop a pair of complementary UltraFine Displays with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and high-resolution IPS panels. Today, AppleInsider takes a look at the 21.5-inch 4K version.
Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller is on a personal quest to stop the spread of misinformation about the company's new MacBook Pro flagship, as the executive penned another email outlining the why and how of Apple's decision to limit RAM allotments to 16GB.
Although the short-lived Galaxy Note 7 was plagued by battery fires, the Galaxy S7 line should be safe — despite some rare incidents caused by damage, Samsung said in an unusual press release.
In an unusual proof of its versatility, one developer has managed to get id Software's original Doom running on the new MacBook Pro's Touch Bar.
Motus this week is partnering with AppleInsider to give readers the chance to win a motusBaseball Complete Package valued at $149.95. Four lucky winners will be drawn on Nov. 28.
Some fear has erupted at the news that Apple may be shutting down development of its own AirPort wireless routers. However, picking a router isn't as complicated as it used to be, and AppleInsider has some suggestions that work well with other Apple hardware.
Instagram on Monday launched two potentially radical changes to its photo- and video-sharing service, including support for live videos within Stories.
Deals: $40 off unlocked iPhone 7s; 13-inch MacBook Pros from $1,199; 15-inch MacBook Pros from $1,799; 27-inch iMac 5Ks from $1,649
Heading into Black Friday, grab a 13-inch MacBook Pro for $1,199, 15-inch MacBook Pro for $1,799, 21.5-inch iMac for $899, 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display for $1,649 — all with no tax outside NY. Or grab an unlocked iPhone 7s for $40 off on eBay with no tax for all.
In a weekend profile of Apple's campus in Austin, Tex., the company claimed that it has created over 2 million jobs in the U.S. since the iPhone first went on sale in 2007.
Apple once again takes aim at viewers' heart strings with its annual holiday TV spot, though the 2016 rendition features a lighthearted twist, as Frankenstein's monster shows his sentimental side.
Apple chip supplier TSMC could make use of its new 7-nanometer manufacturing technique for the processors in 2018 iPhones, a new Chinese-language report suggests.
Some reports are circulating that Boot Camp users with heavy audio use in Windows 10 are experiencing random, loud pops, and seeing distorted audio after a period of use that can persist when the computer is rebooted into macOS.
Apple has apparently disbanded its internal wireless router development team, assigning engineers to other, more lucrative projects within the company, and bringing to an end the development of Apple-branded routers, a new report has revealed.
Apple has issued a special challenge to Apple Watch wearers, offering a Thanksgiving-themed Activity achievement to those who walk, run or wheelchair a workout distance of at least 5 kilometers, or 3.1 miles.
It seems Apple has run into its own smartphone battery troubles. Days after the company launched an iPhone 6 Plus repair program for units impacted by so-called "touch disease" faults, a new initiative activated on Sunday seeks to replace a batch of iPhone 6s batteries causing unexpected device shutdowns.
Sunday, November 20, 2016
Apple on Sunday released a new Apple Music ad spot featuring Drake getting pumped — literally and metaphorically — to Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood," a meta callback to Swift's own commercial for the streaming music service.
Saturday, November 19, 2016
Apple CDO Jony Ive and part time company collaborator Marc Newson on Saturday unveiled their awaited interpretation of Claridge's Christmas tree in London. The installation, which is quite literally a small grove of completely bare fir trees, once again proves the pair of industrial designers masters of the austere.
Apple Deals: 32GB iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi) for $369; 128GB Air 2 (Wi-Fi) for $449; up to $600 off first-gen Apple Watches
Black Friday deals are starting to trickle in with B&H Photo taking $30-$50 off 32GB and 128GB iPad Air 2 models (Wi-Fi Only). Or pick up an original Apple Watch for as low as $199.99 with free shipping and no tax outside NY.
Officials from Apple met with premium automaker McLaren, but the discussions never went as far as a bid, the CEO of the sports car company has revealed in a new interview.
Some buyers of Apple's new MacBook Pros are finding that the three-finger drag gesture is working inconsistently on their trackpads, if at all, according to complaints on Apple's support forums and elsewhere.
Even without the first Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pros showing up on doorsteps, it was a busy week in the Apple news sphere, with rumors about augmented reality glasses, OLED iPhones, and Apple possibly crippling Sprint/Verizon models of the iPhone 7.
Friday, November 18, 2016
- Nest introduces camera streaming to Apple TV, 'instaclip' creation and sharing
- Teardown of 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar reveals non-removable SSD, extra trackpad touch controller, more
- Apple confirmed limiting iPhone 7 Qualcomm modem to keep performance on par with Intel chip
- Comparing Apple's Late-2016 13" & 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- KB Home unveils first-ever Apple HomeKit-enabled community in San Jose
- Jeep joins support for Apple CarPlay with 2017 Compass
- Apple accused of throttling iPhone 7 performance on Verizon to match slower speeds on AT&T
- MacBook Pro integrated GPU misidentified by system profiler, confusing some early buyers
- iPhone 7 supply remains constrained, Apple viewed as unlikely to catch up to demand by end of year
- In-stock alert! B&H has a 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in stock with no tax outside NY
- Apple hires former Wall Street Journal editor to help Chinese PR team
- Flawed 3rd-party chargers reportedly culprit in Apple's China iPhone 6 investigation
- New iPhone lock screen exploit reveals contact information without passcode
- Colbert's 'Late Show' skewers cost, content of Apple's new design book
- AppleInsider podcast talks MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, the meaning of 'Pro,' and iPhone news
- Apple activates iPhone 6 Plus repair program to address 'touch disease'
- Apple's Touch Bar MacBook Pro available for in-store pickup, stock limited
- Apple touts genius potential of Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pro in new video spot
- System Integrity Protection disabled by default on some Touch Bar MacBook Pros
- PlayStation Vue subscription streaming service launches on Apple TV App Store
- Apple updates Swift Playgrounds for iPad with new Learn to Code lesson, music support
- How to connect 4K monitors to your Mac, even on some older models without official support
- Mozilla launches ad-blocking Firefox Focus browser for iOS, Twitter updates notifications for iOS 10
- Apple exploring the possibility of moving iPhone manufacturing to United States
- Apple announces free Hour of Code workshops between Dec. 5 & 11
- B&H claims Apple's BeatsX earbuds will go on sale Dec. 16
- Dual-lens cameras expected to be the de facto iPhone standard by 2018
- Apple automatically uploading iPhone call logs to iCloud, forensics firm says [u]
- Apple's new high-end OLED 2017 iPhone expected to feature 5.1"-5.2" display
- Killer Deal: $100-$200 off Late 2016 13" MacBook Pros with no tax outside NY
- French retailer claims Nov. 30 shipping ship date for Apple AirPods
- Apple invention integrates Siri into iMessage, aids in peer-to-peer financial transactions
Thursday, November 17, 2016