Apple's retail website was recently updated to reflect upcoming availability of a new Workshop called Apple Watch Basics, suggesting the company plans to roll out device training sessions for early Watch buyers from day one.
Friday, April 17, 2015
Thursday, April 16, 2015
Yelp comes to Apple Watch in latest app update, brings nearby business discovery, search, ratings, more
In the buildup to Apple Watch's debut next week, Yelp on Thursday updated its app with support for the wearable, bringing direct wrist access to tentpole features like nearby businesses, reviews, address lookups and more.
It appears Apple has filled the shoes of former PR chief Katie Cotton, as the company's Leadership webpage now lists former interim communications chief Steve Dowling as VP of Communications.
A leaked email from last year's Sony Pictures data breach that surfaced Thursday reveals Snapchat granted former iOS chief Scott Forstall 0.11 percent of its stock in fully-diluted shares in return for being a special company advisor.
In an update to its iOS 8 Feature Availability webpage on Thursday, Apple announced the rollout of CarPlay services to five new countries, including Russia and Sweden.
Google today updated its Chrome for iOS Web browser with features such as an iOS 8 Notification Center widget and support for app extensions, while Microsoft launched its first Halo game for iOS, called Spartan Strike.
DODOcase on Thursday debuted its second Apple Watch accessory in the form of a book-like organizer with wooden charging stand and cable tamer capable of powering both Apple's new wearable and an iPhone.
Yahoo on Thursday announced plans to bring Apple Watch extensions to four of its iOS apps by April 24, while ReSound launched a Watch app for its iPhone-compatible hearing aids.
One week after releasing OS X 10.10.3 with Photos for Mac, Apple on Thursday issued the first beta build of OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite to developers for testing.
Apple is set to expand its global investment in alternative energy sources with the construction of two new solar energy sites in mainland China, which when combined will provide up to 80 million kilowatt-hours of power each year.
During a promotional stop for Disney's upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens, director J.J. Abrams flashed what appears to be a stainless steel Apple Watch during a panel discussion at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.
Though the Los Angeles Unified School District's demand for a multi-million dollar refund from Apple has grabbed headlines, the failure of the $1.3 billion program to create a new digital curriculum for Los Angles students appears to lie primarily with educational publishing company Pearson.
Apple's feud with antitrust monitor continues; company accused of not cooperating in iBooks oversight
Tension between Apple and its court-appointed antitrust monitor continues to mount, as Michael Bromwich has accused the iPad maker of reducing its cooperating with his reviews of the company.
A video driver glitch that caused some Mac users to experience startup trouble under OS X 10.10.3 was addressed by Apple on Wednesday with a supplemental update to the company's venerable desktop operating system.
The Chinese government on Thursday officially suspended rules on bank technology that have sparked the ire of the U.S. government and international businesses, and could have produced a barrier to the arrival of Apple Pay in the country.
ExclusiveKiller Deal: Save $50-$220 off all iMac 5Ks plus free AppleCare & a free Canon PIXMA printer
AppleInsider has re-teamed with one of Apple's authorized resellers to offer $50-$220 discounts on 48 different configurations of Apple's new iMac with Retina 5K display, each of which is in stock and also comes with a free 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan, a free Canon PIXMA all-in-one printer, free expedited shipping (and no sales tax collected in 48 states).
Last week's OS X 10.10.3 update is in some cases triggering kernel panics when previewing large JPEG image files, leading to crashes and reboots, according to complaints on Apple's support forums.
On Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook once again secured a position on Time magazine's annual list of the 100 Most Influential People, and was praised in a profile written by Democratic Congressman and civil rights activist John Lewis.
Apple and The Conservation Fund are partnering to purchase more than 36,000 acres of vulnerable forestland in Maine and North Carolina, and will use the land to sustainably harvest materials that can be used for paper and packaging.
AppleInsider's iOS app gets support for native iPhone 6 and 6 Plus screen resolutions, Apple Watch companion app in update
With the updated AppleInsider iOS app, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners can get the day's freshest Apple news delivered in screen resolutions native to their handset, while Apple Watch owners will be granted quick access to headlines when the device launches next week.
Consumers with visual or aural impairments will have several options for making the Apple Watch more accessible to them, Apple revealed this week, including the company's oft-lauded VoiceOver functionality and user interface customizations.
Walk-in purchases of the Apple Watch won't be available at Apple's retail stores until June at the earliest, as supply of the wrist-worn device will remain severely constrained, a new memo to employees from retail chief Angela Ahrendts has revealed.
A patent application filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday reveals Apple is continuing to explore light field camera applications, in this case imagining how users would manipulate image data to change focus or depth of field in a photo editing app.
In what appears to be Jawbone's attempt to keep up in an escalating wearables arms race, the company on Thursday unveiled the Up4 fitness tracker with built-in NFC payments provided in partnership with American Express.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
After officially scrapping a $1.3 billion educational technology initiative based on Apple's iPad, the Los Angeles Unified School District is reportedly demanding the company either return millions of dollars or face a lawsuit.
Facing poor yield rates from chipmaker GlobalFoundries, Apple has apparently made an eleventh-hour call as it solidifies its supply chain for the next-generation iPhone, opting to award nearly a third of "A9" chip orders to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.
BreakingApple Watch preorders estimated at 2.3M units, low supply blamed on haptic vibrator and OLED display
Well-informed KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has in the past proved accurate in predicting Apple's moves, estimates Apple Watch preorders will exceed 2.3 million units, though production bottlenecks relating to the device's haptic vibrator and advanced OLED screen are restricting rollout.
Popular Web-based productivity tool If This Then That on Wednesday announced upcoming Apple Watch support for its one-touch workflow activation apps Do Button and Do Note, as well as iPad compatibility for all three titles in the "Do" apps collection.
Apple strengthened its position over Google in mobile app market revenue during the first quarter of 2015, helped along by massive growth in China, a country that now downloads more apps than the U.S., according to a report by analytics firm App Annie issued on Tuesday.
Deals: $144 off 12" MacBooks with AppleCare; 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for $525; 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409; more...
Exclusive: This week AI readers can: save $144 on 12" MacBook with AppleCare pre-orders, grab a 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for under $500, pick up a 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409, secure a 13" MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage for $1,249 and get the lowest price anywhere on all current 2015 MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Apple on Wednesday added four more videos to its Apple Watch Guided Tours webpage covering Phone Calls, Siri interaction, Maps navigation and Music playback.
Apple has gifted Karl Lagerfeld with a specially-crafted Apple Watch featuring not just a yellow gold body but also a matching gold link bracelet, according to the fashion designer's personal assistant and bodyguard.
Apple could sell as many as 15 million Apple Watches this year, new survey data suggests, as some 6 percent of U.S. adults — mostly men — say they plan to purchase one of the new wrist-worn devices.
Tumblr and Wikipedia released major updates to their iOS apps on Wednesday, revising their look as well as adding a number of features that expand their use and streamline navigation.
With Apple's next-generation Mac operating system expected to be unveiled at the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June, AppleInsider looks at possible names the company might choose for its follow-up to the OS X versions dubbed Yosemite and Mavericks.
Charitybuzz today announced that for the third year in a row, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook is auctioning off some of his time in order to benefit the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights, which backs human rights causes around the globe.
Search giant Google has run once again into the welcoming embrace of European regulators, finding itself in the European Commission's crosshairs over allegations that it favors its own services unfairly with Android and web search products.
Microsoft on Wednesday released an updated version of the Office 2016 for Mac Preview, cleaning up bug and performance problems while adding new features, as the company also simultaneously launched two new Office 365 apps for the iPhone, Office Delve and Office 365 Video.
Apple this year is offering 350 scholarships to WWDC 2015, a substantial increase over last year that will pull in students 13 and older, as well as members and alumni from a number of groups including women, blacks, and Latinos.
- Chess grandmaster hid an iPod touch in the bathroom to cheat during tournaments
- Samsung dedicates 200 employees to display team focused solely on Apple products
- Teardown of 12" MacBook with Retina display reveals tiny logic board, massive battery [u]
- Mophie debuts 'Watch Dock' for Apple Watch with aluminum and leather construction
- Apogee's MetaRecorder field recording app offloads controls to Apple Watch
- Vendors at 2015 NAB Show brings debut Thunderbolt drives, camera remote accessories, more
- Rare functional Apple I computer up for auction on eBay, 10% of sale price goes to charity
- Apple Watch to make special appearance at 2015 Salone del Mobile in Milan
- Apple's iOS 8.3 reportedly causing problems with Bluetooth GPS receivers
- Teen interest in Apple Watch wanes ahead of launch, most want device for style and design
- 1Password, Workflow iOS apps update with Apple Watch support
- Apple buys multi-lens, DSLR-quality camera tech with $20M purchase of LinX Imaging
- Republican legislators, cellular industry launch attack on FCC net neutrality provisions
- Killer Deal: $130 to $209 off all early-2015 MacBook Airs with AppleCare & a free LG Super Drive
- Apple makes ResearchKit tools for iOS 8 available to medical researchers
- iOS-connected wearables, smart home devices take center stage at Hong Kong Spring Electronics Fair
- Apple bans selfie sticks, monopods from WWDC 2015
- iOS 8.4 moves audiobooks to iBooks, adds separate CarPlay audiobook access
- Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12
- Future iPhones might automatically broadcast IM-style operating status data to contacts
- Chinese Apple Pay launch in limbo as iOS 8.3 fails to deliver expected UnionPay support
- First look: Apple's streamlined Music app in iOS 8.4 beta
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers with new Music app
- Apple partners with IBM Watson Health Cloud to bring secure cloud, data analytics to HealthKit and ResearchKit
- Artist sues Apple over alleged copycat work in 'Start Something New' marketing
- Garmin takes another swipe at GoPro with revamped, iOS-connected Virb action cameras
- Google at work on major battery improvements with help from former Apple expert
- Apple halves revenue share to 15% for Apple TV apps - report
- Strong preorder demand for Apple Watch could signal 5M sales in June quarter, RBC says
- WebMD, CareEvolution, other firms announce healthcare apps for Apple Watch
- Apple's Swift takes crown of most-loved language among developers
- Apple targets video pros with major updates to Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor
- InstaMed brings first application of Apple Pay to healthcare industry
- Foxconn angers Brazilian officials with slow manufacturing ramp-up
- Nearly all Apple Watch retail try-ons are resulting in preorders, Cowen says
- Launch day Apple Watch orders estimated at 1M in US, skews toward Sport model
- Apple enables NVM Express protocol for faster SSD performance with OS X 10.10.3
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Monday, April 13, 2015
Saturday, April 11, 2015