Apple on Thursday announced a change in App Store policy which increases the size limit of tvOS app bundles from 200 megabytes to 4 gigabytes, a boost that should provide a better end user experience upon initial installation.
Thursday, January 12, 2017
A U.S. federal appeals court ruled on Thursday that people do indeed have the right to sue Apple over limiting iOS devices to apps from the App Store, potentially paving the way for an open app marketplace in the future.
In a bit of backpedaling, Consumer Reports on Thursday said it can now recommend Apple's new MacBook Pro lineup after a software fix remedied battery life inconsistencies found in previous testing.
Deals: $415 off 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ AppleCare; 15" MacBook Pro for $1,799; $150 off 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro
While supplies last, AI readers can pick up a high-end 2016 MacBook Pro in Silver with AppleCare for $2,733. Or save $200 on Apple's 2015 15" MacBook Pro. Those looking for the new 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar can snap one up for $1,649.99 with no tax outside NY.
Just days after Apple seeded a third beta version of iOS 10.2.1 to developers, the company on Thursday issued a fourth iteration of the forthcoming operating system for testing.
Cellebrite, the Israeli digital forensics firm thought to have provided the FBI with assistance to break the security of the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone, has confirmed it has been the victim of a security breach of one of its servers.
Google on Thursday updated its Maps apps for iOS and Android alike with a new, more in-depth ridesharing interface, including deeper integration with Uber that lets people hail a car without switching apps.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
What appears to be Google's shift to the VP9 codec for delivering 4K video on the YouTube homepage is preventing Safari users from watching videos uploaded to the service since early December in full 4K resolution, but not from viewing webpage-embedded videos in the same resolution.
Jawbone could have become the latest acquisition of main rival Fitbit, with a report alleging the two fitness wearable competitors discussed a possible sale of assets at the end of last year, talks that ultimately broke down over a low-ball offer.
Apple's rumored plans for a 10.5-inch iPad — not much larger than 9.7-inch models — may make more sense when considering the size of the iPad mini, and the resolution of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
Apple on Thursday updated its beta macOS for the second time in a week, and has made the fourth beta of macOS Sierra available to developers for evaluation and testing.
In a surprise announcement, HTC on Thursday revealed two new flagship phones, the U Ultra and U Play — both of which, like Apple's iPhone 7, abandon a headphone jack in favor of digital-only audio.
Apple has added cable company Cable One to its Single Sign-On feature for iOS and tvOS, while most cable subscribers in the U.S. still can't utilize the feature at all.
Photographs may be edited by voice commands alone in the future, creative software producer Adobe hopes, showcasing a new proof-of-concept video that shows a Siri-like digital assistant on an iPad being used to make changes to an image.
Amazon on Thursday launched Anime Strike, its first self-branded option under the Amazon Channels subscription program — with more coming soon, the company said.
In an effort to unify and regulate the introduction of automated vehicles to U.S. highways, the Department of Transportation has established a new advisory committee to steer the future of the department, including Apple Vice President Lisa Jackson.
Citing production issues, the makers of Lily — an autonomous, iOS-connected drone that aimed to simplify aerial photography — have announced that their project has been completely canceled, and refunds will be issued to customers over the next 60 days.
Two of Apple's competitors in the smartphone space — Samsung and LG — may launch their first foldable phones towards the end of the year, potentially dampening the "wow" factor of a redesigned "iPhone 8."
In the wake of "Carpool Karaoke" and "Planet of the Apps," a new report suggests that Apple may be looking at expanding unique scripted content, to draw users to the iTunes and iPhone ecosystems, and boost Apple Music subscriptions
In debuting AirPods, Apple also introduced a seamless, dead simple Bluetooth pairing method powered by its new W1 chip. A patent application published Thursday appears to detail exactly how the system functions.
According to independent analyst Horace Dediu, Apple's iOS hardware ecosystem and related services is on schedule to generate a cumulative $1 trillion sometime in 2017, a milestone for a consumer product.
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
After a steep slide last quarter, Apple's Mac saw a 2.4 percent sales increase over the three-month period ending in December as the wider PC market continued to suffer a now five year drought.
Venture capitalist and Facebook board member Peter Thiel in an interview on Wednesday prognosticates the "age of Apple" is at its end, saying the evolution of the smartphone has reached a zenith.
Former Apple executive Tony Fadell discusses the genesis of what would become the iPhone, Steve Jobs' insistence about a rotary dial in software, and the evolution of the iPod in a new interview.
Fitbit recently made two big acquisitions that place the fitness wearable manufacturer in a good position to field true smartwatch products that challenge the Apple Watch.
U.S. budget airline JetBlue on Wednesday announced the finished rollout of Fly-Fi, a free in-flight Wi-Fi service that claims to offer faster connections than some paid options like Gogo.
One Drop on Wednesday launched the Chrome Blood Glucose Monitoring Kit on Apple's online store, offering a heavily iOS-based option for people suffering from diabetes.
Apple's AirPods have made a sizable impact on the wireless headphone market, according to research from Slice Intelligence, with the audio accessory reportedly capturing more than a quarter of the market.
Rejected by Apple a year ago, 'The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth' accepted into App Store with no changes
Cult indie game The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is now available to download from the App Store, after previously being rejected by Apple over themes of violence towards children.
Astropad on Wednesday launched Astropad Studio, a new edition of its second-screen app for the iPad, geared towards making an iPad Pro suitable as a professional drawing tablet.
New drone footage of Apple's Campus 2 construction project from the sky reveals progress is still being made on the development, though the onslaught of rain is making the task of landscaping the area a tougher task for developers.
Google parent Alphabet is reportedly in talks to sell its satellite imaging unit, Terra Bella, in a deal that could impact the future of Google Maps and competition with Apple's own Maps app.
Apple's iPhone continued to gain more U.S. marketshare towards the end of 2016, according to research data published on Wednesday, but saw setbacks in China, facing tough competition from local and often cheaper alternatives.
Apple itself may not show up to CES, but about a dozen companies came to this year's show with a range of HomeKit-capable products from smart lighting products to home security. Here's a complete guide to everything HomeKit unveiled at CES 2017.
Americans are paying more for their iPhones than citizens of 38 other countries, according to a study into the average cost of electronics around the world, with a difference between the U.S. and the cheapest country's prices found to be more than $220.
A South Korean prosecutor's office is set to interrogate the head of the Samsung Group, Jay Y. Lee, as part of a wider influence scandal involving the country's President Park Geun-hye and her close friend, Choi Soon-sil.
Matt Casebolt, one of Apple's key hinge designers, and the key designer of the original MacBook Air mechanical design has departed Apple, and is now working at Tesla.
Shipping times for the LG UltraFine 5K Display have dropped precipitously in the U.S., with outstanding orders being updated, and new order shipping estimates falling from 2-4 weeks, to just one week.
- Video shows early competing iPhone prototypes developed by Tony Fadell and Scott Forstall
- Apple CareKit integrates with Tresorit ZeroKit to secure patient data in the cloud
- Apple's 'Designed by Apple in California' book now available in more countries
- AT&T to raise unlimited data plan pricing to $40 in March
- Tesla hires architect of Apple's Swift as VP of Autopilot Software
- Sonos CEO to depart company after 14 years amid increased competition
- Programmer who spearheaded Swift to exit Apple [u]
- ESPN, WatchESPN iOS apps updated to add support for Apple's single sign-on
- Following Apple's decline, Foxconn reports first sales dip in 25 years
- 'Pokemon Go' blocked from iPhone launch in China while state censor evaluates security risks
- Apple says hidden Safari setting led to flawed Consumer Reports MacBook Pro battery tests
- Rumored 'iPhone 8' stainless steel chassis could expand Apple's American supply chain
- How to configure the fourth-generation Apple TV as a HomeKit Hub
- Verizon plans purge of 200GB+ bandwidth hogging unlimited data users
- Apple again named Greenpeace's most environmentally-friendly company
- Apple patent paves way for iPhone with full-face display, HUD windows
- Apple to forge 'iPhone 8' chassis from stainless steel, report says
- Apple plans Milan flagship store at historic Piazza del Liberty
- Apple to produce data center cabinets at defunct GT Advanced sapphire plant
- Rumor: Apple working with Carl Zeiss on AR glasses to debut in 2018
- Which Apple W1-equipped headphones are right for you?
- Uber Movement offers city planners access to anonymized ride data
- More Apple Music Carpool Karaoke details surface; Metallica, Alicia Keys hosting two episodes
- Apple pulls app for finding lost AirPods from App Store
- Hands-on: Withings Home Plus Video & Air Quality Monitor with Apple HomeKit support
- Apple issues new developer betas of iOS 10.2.1, macOS 10.12.3, watchOS 3.1.3, tvOS 10.1.1
- Debunking retail rumors, Apple says its stores are equipped to repair new MacBook Pros
- Facebook plots mid-video ads in bid to take on YouTube
- Deals: $150 off 2016 15" MacBook Pro; $50-$100 off 2016 12" MacBooks; 9.7" iPad Pro for $499
- Phil Schiller discusses iPhone's impact on Apple, 10 years after launch
- Apple executives, India officials to talk local manufacturing, retail store this month
- FTC sues D-Link for failure to secure webcams, routers from online attacks
- WeChat CEO celebrates Apple iPhone at 10, challenges App Store with new 'mini programs'
- As OLED iPhone rumors swirl, Apple supplier Sharp sinks $864M into display tech
- Ten Years of iPhone: the past present and future of Apple's blockbuster phenomenon
- Apple celebrates 10 years since Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone
- Apple on track to launch three new iPads in spring 2017, but none of them mini
- Samsung makes good on promise to bring Gear S2, S3, Fit 2 smartwatch compatibility to iOS
- Is Apple getting Siri-ous in the face of Amazon's Alexa Echo?
- Apple's latest iPhone 7 Plus commercial showcases dual-lens 'Portrait' photo mode
- Hands-on: Apple CarPlay goes wireless over Wi-Fi with Alpine's iLX-107 receiver
- Hands-on: Alpine's splash-proof Apple CarPlay unit targets Jeep Wrangler owners
- Review: LG UltraFine 5K Display with Thunderbolt 3 for Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro
- Deals: $150 off 2016 13" and 15" MacBook Pros with Touch Bar; $350 off 2015 12" MacBook; $30-$60 off 9.7" iPad Pros
- This week on AI: CES 2017, MacBook takes a bullet, LG UltraFine 5K hands-on and more
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Monday, January 09, 2017
Sunday, January 08, 2017
Saturday, January 07, 2017