Hands on, real world use of Apple's latest iPhone 7 models provides overwhelming evidence that the company has a clear vision for the future and is marching toward it without much regard for the opinions of its detractors. This "courage of conviction" backs a series of rather radical and somewhat controversial iPhone 7 changes for Apple—already well known for breaking with the past.
Sunday, September 18, 2016
Apple released three new commercials for its latest iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 on Sunday, each showcasing new hardware features like water resistance, fitness tracking and iPhone's low-light camera capabilities.
Saturday, September 17, 2016
Some early iPhone 7 and 7 Plus adopters are complaining of an audible "hissing" sound when the devices' A10 processors run into heavy demands.
Apple's new iPhone 7 models introduce a new solid-state (non-mechanical) Home button which no longer physically depresses but instead is a software-driven sensor. That necessitates a new physical button sequence to hard-reset the device if it stops responding; that happens to be holding the Volume Down and Wake buttons for five seconds.
The big news, naturally, was Friday's launch of the iPhone 7 and the second-generation Apple Watch. iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3 emerged on Tuesday though, and there was still plenty of news going on outside the launch-day bubble.
Friday, September 16, 2016
With iPhone 7, Apple updated its iconic home button from a mechanical push-button design to a solid-state sensor stack, meaning it requires direct contact with skin, or a capacitive glove, to operate.
In the shadow of this week's iPhone launch, surprise allegations of corporate sexism surfaced at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, though company executives say the situation was investigated and "actions have been taken."
Apple's latest iPhone 7 models sport two new color finish options: a solid matte Black and a high gloss Jet Black. Both appear to be in high demand, so if you're on the fence (or in line) we've taken some photos and videos highlighting the differences, including their almost invisible new seam lines, Apple's enhanced leather case options and the new Lightning headphones.
The Class 1 Bluetooth in Apple's new Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones are providing extreme range, in some cases beyond what the Class 1 specification actually calls for, according to user anecdotes.
Though the new Apple Watch Series 2 looks largely the same as its predecessor, there are a number of subtle improvements to the hardware beyond the addition of GPS and a brighter screen. AppleInsider offers a first look at the newly released wearable.
As part of a greater focus on user health, Apple has introduced new alarms in iOS 10 for sleep, reminding users when to go to bed for a full night of rest, and also keeping track of their sleeping habits.
A trio of journalistic establishments have filed a freedom of information lawsuit, attempting to compel the FBI to divulge information about the hack it purchased to break into the San Bernardino shooters' iPhone 5c.
A federal jury has ruled in favor of Acacia Research, awarding a subsidiary of the patent licensing firm $22.1 million in damages from Apple for the latter's violation of a cellular networking patent.
Shoppers can pick up a 15" MacBook Pro for $1,599.99 on eBay this week. Or snap up a ZeroLemon iPhone 7 Battery Case for $69.99. A lifetime iOS and Xcode developer training subscription is also $79.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Friday, September 16, 2016
After users upgrade devices to iOS 10, they won't be able to take full advantage of some new HomeKit-related features on older, third generation Apple TVs.
In parallel with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus launching in Hong Kong, Apple has simultaneously halted all returns and exchanges for Apple and Beats products bought at the company's local retail stores.
With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus hitting store shelves, new cases are hitting the market at a rapid rate. AppleInsider has rounded up a list of the best iPhone 7 cases that you can buy right now to keep your device in pristine condition.
Brick and mortar retailers Target and Best Buy have apparently not been given enough inventory to fulfill all pre-orders, and are emailing customers informing them that Apple Watch Series 2 orders won't be shipped by the promised date.
A pair of teardowns have confirmed speculation that Apple used multiple vendors for cellular modems in the iPhone 7 family, with an Intel-made wireless modem found in a model for AT&T and T-Mobile.
With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus already out in many parts of the world, people are beginning to subject Apple's phones to numerous stress tests, including drop and water tests that, at least in some early cases, the products are passing.
The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus rolled out to 28 regions around the world on Friday, and was anxiously awaited by crowds picking up pre-orders, with others disregarding Apple's warnings of low stock.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil Hughes tells Victor Marks about the latest iOS, iPhone 7 supply shortage, headphones (Bluetooth and otherwise), and more.
Although one of the more convenient functions of iOS 10 is "Raise to Wake" for iPhones, users will need a model with Apple's M9 motion coprocessor found in the iPhone 6s series or iPhone SE, or the new M10 found in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
Japan's tax authority ordered Apple to pay about 12 billion yen (roughly $118 million) in taxes for improperly reporting earnings associated with its iTunes unit, according to local reports Friday.
In tandem with a teardown of Apple's iPhone 7 Plus, iFixit on Friday disassembled the new Apple Watch Series 2, finding a larger battery cell and slightly tweaked internal layout.
Laurene Powell Jobs, president of the Emerson Collective charity and widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, this week awarded ten high schools $10 million each as part of a project to foster innovative ideas in education.
For the first time ever, order demand among early iPhone buyers has decisively shifted to Apple's Plus-sized model compared to the standard 4.7 inch version. If sustained, a shift to the higher-end would mean even greater profits for Apple, which is already basking in reports of enthusiastic demand for its latest and greatest iPhone.
Thursday, September 15, 2016
First iPhone 7 Plus teardown reveals larger battery, revamped internal design, faux speaker port, more
Mere hours after Apple's iPhone 7 Plus arrived in the hands of pre-order customers on Friday, the team at iFixit ripped the new flagship smartphone open to reveal a larger battery, revamped internal layout, fake speaker port in lieu of a headphone jack and other goodies.
Although it just launched mere hours ago, Apple's latest 4.7-inch iPhone 7 has already been subjected to a brutal durability test that shows the new matte black finish, while fairly resistant to scuffs, is no match for a razor.
Deals: $200 off 2016 12" MacBook (1.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB); $150 off 27" iMac 5K; 50% off Hotspot Shield Elite VPN
Shoppers this week can snap up a 2016 12" MacBook (1.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB) in Gold for $1,399. Or opt for a high-res 27" iMac 5K for $1,649.99. A lifetime subscription to Hotspot Shield Elite VPN is also $49.99 ($50 off), while a 256GB 13" MacBook Air is $939.99 on eBay.
As the first iPhone 7 and 7 Plus units land in the hands of pre-order customers living in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Asia, customers eager to score their own copy are queueing up outside Apple's retail stores.
U.S. urges Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners to stop use, return after 26 burned, 55 property damage fires
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission today issued an announcement urging anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 purchased before today to "immediately stop using and power down" the device and seek a replacement or refund, due to the risk of battery overheating and fires.
Apple's second generation smartwatch enhances overall performance, expands its usability to swimmers with better water resistance and to runners with GPS support, and improves upon both battery life and screen brightness. However, the massive enhancements made to watchOS 3 improve things sufficiently for existing Apple Watch owners, to the point where last year's watch is still fresh and relevant. Here's a deep look at the smartwatch state-of-the-art that Apple dominates globally.
Two recent Apple hires suggest the company is getting serious about building out its own virtual and augmented reality technologies, though Cupertino has some catching up to do as Google, Facebook and Microsoft forge ahead with mature projects.
Apple appears to be applying heavy-handed moderation tactics to a newly introduced gif search iMessage app in iOS 10 that inadvertently retrieved pornographic images, as queries for seemingly innocuous words no longer yield results.
In an unusual move, Apple on Thursday released a second gold master of macOS Sierra to developers, even though the final release of the OS is just five days away.
A report on Thursday claims to have uncovered evidence that Apple is working on a viable wireless charging solution for iPhone in partnership with Energous, a sector specialist whose long-distance WattUp technology has been under development for years.
- US Treasury guidance could stop Apple from recouping Irish taxes at home
- Jet black is most popular color option among Sprint's high-capacity iPhone 7 preorders
- Inside watchOS 3: Send text messages from Apple Watch by drawing one letter at a time
- T-Mobile users complain about iOS 10 carrier settings causing service blackouts [ux2]
- Inside iOS 10: Photos Memories will generate slideshow movies automatically
- iRig HD 2 lets you connect guitar, 3.5mm headphone to Apple's iPhone via Lightning
- Pandora launches new 'Plus' tier, promises on-demand streaming by end of 2016
- Inside watchOS 3: Apple Watch gets more familiar with dedicated dock button
- 'About a dozen' Magna engineers working on Apple's electric car, 'Project Titan' - report
- Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car
- Launch day iPhone 7 Plus, jet black iPhone 7 allotment sold out, Apple says
- Apple shuts down rumors of impending Tidal takeover
- Apple polling MacBook Pro owners on use of headphone jack, other ports
- Apple, Google app store practices stymie competition, Japan trade report says
- Apple hires former Time Warner Cable executive for cloud services push
- First online vendors begin support for Apple Pay on the Web
- Apple adds Categories section to iMessage App Store
- Swatch successfully opposes Apple's 'iWatch' trademark in UK
- First look: Audeze iSine 10 in-ear planar magnetic phones with Apple Lightning connector
- Adoption of Apple's iOS 10 already at 15% in early tracking data
- Conflicting reports emerge about iPhone 7 retail stock levels for launch
- Shares of AAPL surge as hype builds for Friday's iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 launches
- Review roundup: Apple Watch Series 2 is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and that's fine
- iOS 10 tests show slower boot times, but overall smooth speeds even on older iPhones
- Inside iOS 10: Apple simplifies HomeKit control with dedicated Home app
- Apple CEO Tim Cook visits schools benefitting from ConnectED tech in NYC
- Twitter debuts streaming video app on Apple TV in prep for Thursday Night Football
- Tim Cook says AR, VR are 'really cool' and have garnered Apple's interest
- Suppliers see high chip orders in advance of Apple's iPhone 7 launch
- Inside iOS 10: Control Center expands to three panes, offering quick access to Music & Home
- iPhone upgrade program members have stock available, Apple support call-backs ongoing
- Apple shares iPhone 7 ad with focus on dual-cameras, water resistance
- Cook, Ahrendts & other Apple execs tour New York City ahead of iPhone 7 rollout
- India urges Apple, others to embed government-funded biometric ID technology into smartphones
- Inside iOS 10: Third-party compatibility opens up Messages to Apple's app universe
- Try out Apple's new third-party iMessage integration in iOS 10 with these apps
- Adobe Lightroom for mobile update brings RAW image capture to iOS 10
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on 'Good Morning America,' says AirPods stay put during exercise
- Apple halts email purchases of gift cards from its US website
- Apple to reopen three US retail outlets in tandem with iPhone 7 launch
- tvOS 10 for Apple TV launches minus single sign-in feature for cable credentials
- Lyft, Venmo, LinkedIn, Map My Run among first third-party apps to support Siri in iOS 10
- Apple iWork suite with real-time collaboration tools released for iPhone, iPad
- Apple's Swift Playgrounds sandbox for programming education now available
- Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]
- Video: See the top 5 reasons to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 10
- Everything you need to know about watchOS 3 for Apple Watch
- The best features in iOS 10: Siri, Home, Messages, Notifications, Apple Music, more
- Apple launches iOS 10, tvOS 10 & watchOS 3
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.1 with all-new Apple Music design, iOS 10 support, Siri commands in Sierra
- Apple expands Maps transit directions to Columbus and Pittsburgh
- 2017 iPhone will have 'virtual button' built into edge-to-edge display - report
- VirnetX patents ruled invalid ahead of retrial in ongoing legal battle with Apple
- Review roundup: iPhone 7 is the greatest iPhone yet, but lack of the headphone jack is annoying
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Tuesday, September 13, 2016