Hot on the heels of revealing plans for an iOS app design and development facility in Bengaluru, Apple on Thursday local time announced the opening of an office in Hyderabad tasked with accelerating development of Maps products for iOS, Mac and Apple Watch.
Thursday, May 19, 2016
Weeks after Apple saw its bid for exclusive Chinese rights to the "iPhone" trademark dashed in court, new information illustrates the battle the company faces in dealing with China's laws.
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Apple in an email blast on Wednesday reminded developers of the impending iAd App Network shutdown that will bring an end to monetization revenues and app promotion on June 30, as scheduled.
Following the debut of its Bentayga SUV, British automaker Bentley Motors recently launched an eponymous Apple Watch app that goes beyond run-of-the-mill connected car features, putting control over creature comforts on the wrist of well-heeled owners.
Apple mulls permanent expansion of Fifth Avenue store, feels 'entitled' to cut-rate FAO Schwarz lease
Apple's plan to temporarily relocate its flagship Fifth Avenue store from the base of the GM building to the old FAO Schwartz location has apparently evolved into a desire to permanently occupy the space — and without paying the going rate for rent.
Widening the battleground with Apple Pay, Google on Wednesday announced that Android Pay will soon be usable at some ATMs, as well as by mobile Chrome users.
With Acura's launch of its second automated vehicle, the RLX, the luxury sedan manufacturer is closer to providing an attractive consumer option — a market Apple watchers expect the company's secretive "Project Titan" is also eyeing.
At the beginning of its I/O developer conference on Wednesday, Google revealed that the next major version of Android — codenamed "Android N" — is launching in beta later today, and will introduce features like better performance, improved multitasking, and even virtual reality support when it officially arrives in late summer.
Google hopes to shake up the mobile communications landscape this summer with a cross-platform release of both Allo, a new smart messenger, and Duo, a simplified one-to-one video calling service.
The smart home battle between Apple, Google and others continues to heat up, with Google on Wednesday announcing Home, a new voice-activated hardware kit that brings the Google assistant service to any room in your house.
This Memorial Day weekend, save up to $300 on popular 13" and 15" MacBook Pros when you pair instant discounts with exclusive coupons. Or snap up a 2015 12" MacBook for only $964 with 3 free accessories, free shipping and no sales tax in most states.
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
New images published on Wednesday appear to support rumors that Apple will finally bring Siri to the Mac in the next major version of OS X, premiering at WWDC 2016 in June.
Fitbit on Wednesday announced the purchase of Coin's wearable payments assets, a takeover which should put Fitbit on a path to launching its own mobile payments technology sometime in 2017, and hence competing even more closely with Apple.
For a limited time this week, grab the lowest price ever offered on Apple's 12.9" iPad Pro (128GB, WiFi, Silver) at $745 ($204 off). Or pick up a new 13" MacBook Pro for $1,149 or 15" MacBook Pro for $1,799, both with no sales tax outside NY.
While patents reveal Apple has explored the possibility of adding new functionality to the Apple Watch with connectable smart bands, a new Kickstarter campaign hopes to beat it to the punch with a GPS-connected, battery-equipped smart band for the Pebble Time smartwatch.
While in India this week, CEO Tim Cook and a team of fellow Apple executives will reportedly be meeting with the leaders of local telecoms firms, looking to bolster iPhone numbers with partnerships on sales and distribution.
In a TV interview, Didi Chuxing president Jean Liu dropped more hints about the possible reasons for Apple's $1 billion investment, suggesting a technological connection.
Microsoft's steady decline in the mobile phone business continues, as the Redmond, Wash., company announced on Wednesday that it will sell the feature phone division it acquired from Nokia to a subsidiary of manufacturer Foxconn for $350 million.
As expected, Apple late Tuesday announced plans to open a Design and Development Accelerator in Bengaluru, India, where developers will learn a variety of skills for coding on Apple's software platforms.
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
Australian bank ANZ earlier this month observed a 20 percent spike in online credit card and deposit account applications after announcing support for Apple Pay, results that have prompted holdouts to rethink their position on Apple's payments service.
James Pinkstone, whose blog post about an apparent iTunes music deletion bug went viral last week, said on Tuesday that Apple flew two senior software engineers across the country in attempts to troubleshoot the issue.
Apple on Tuesday updated the roster of U.S. banks supporting Apple Pay with another 30 entries, while shoppers continued to wait for more retail partners to come onboard.
Following Warren Buffett's surprise investment in Apple, it was recently revealed that billionaire investor George Soros took a position in the iPhone maker, buying up thousands of shares as company stock prices hover at their lowest point in years.
The iTunes 12.4 update appears to have improved the speed of Apple's jukebox software, even though the company isn't actively promoting that fact, according to user comments on Reddit and Twitter, and first-hand experience by AppleInsider.
A new survey of U.S. broadband households recently purchased a streaming media player has found that Roku continues to own the largest market share, while the Apple TV sales have greatly increased since last year's update. However, no one device controls a majority of the market, leaving the race for a winner still wide open.
Activist investment firm Corvex Management is pushing streaming radio service — and Apple Music competitor — Pandora to seriously consider selling the company, instead of pursuing what it has dubbed a "costly and uncertain business plan."
Trying to install Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update is causing some iPad Pros to become unusable, according to media reports and complaints on Apple's support forums.
Apple is hiring a number of people with experience in wireless charging, a technology it could be planning to build into 2017 iPhone and iPad models.
Apple's two main assembly partners, Foxconn and Pegatron, are said to have begun extra hiring for iPhone production early this year, allegedly owing to the complexity of the "iPhone 7."
Coinciding with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook's first-ever visit to India, the iPhone maker will reportedly make a pair of key announcements for the emerging market, related to software development and local start-up companies.
Rumors of iPhone 7 have so far revolved around purportedly leaked schematics and part images, which only allude to obvious potential hardware changes (a dual lens camera, an iPad Pro-like Smart Connector and replacing the legacy headphone jack with Lightning). However, many of Apple's biggest iPhone leaps have been externally invisible, driven by software advances unlocking the power of advanced silicon hardware inside, many of which debuted at WWDC.
Intel will reportedly supply up to half of the cellular modem chips being used in Apple's "iPhone 7" and "7 Plus," expected to ship in September.
Like clockwork, Apple's well-established annual iPhone release cycle is on track once again, as a new report claims the company's suppliers are prepared to begin shipping the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" by the end of the third quarter.
In a patent awarded to Apple on Tuesday, the company imagines entire cities outfitted with low-power wireless transmitters capable of sending pinpoint-accurate location data, as well as dynamic environmental alerts, to iPhones and in-car navigation systems.
Monday, May 16, 2016
As the wearables market continues to evolve, new data shows a widening gap between basic and affordable fitness bands and more complex, do-it-all devices like Apple Watch — though the bulk of sales skew toward cheaper, simpler devices like Fitbit.
A Chinese government committee is closely examining encryption and data storage technology products imported by foreign corporations, including Apple, in a bid to protect against national security threats, according to a report on Monday.
Adobe recently updated its Capture CC app for iOS with a new tool that transforms images or real-world objects into geometric and organic patterns, offering users an automated alternative to what was once a tedious manual workflow.
The Merchant Consumer Exchange consortium, which previously enjoyed support from major retailers like Walmart, CVS, The Gap and more, has postponed plans to take its CurrentC mobile payments product nationwide.
In its latest play at the Chinese market, Apple on Monday released an updated version of GarageBand with a heavy focus on Chinese music, introducing new regional instruments, Chinese music loops and Chinese language localization, among other feature additions like social network sharing.
- Google Chrome to phase out Adobe Flash later this year
- Upcoming Union Square Apple Store next to feature massive 37-foot display
- First three Indian Apple Stores rumored to launch by end of 2017
- Apple prepares to launch Union Square store in San Francisco, shutter Stockton location
- Resisting Apple Pay, Walmart pushes its own e-wallet to over 500 retail stores
- Apple releases iTunes 12.4 with redesigned interface, fixes bugs in OS X 10.11.5
- Apple squashes bugs with tvOS 9.2.1, watchOS 2.2.1 updates
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.2, restoring Night Shift in Low Power Mode & fixing iPhone SE Bluetooth issues
- Apple's Tim Cook to meet with Indian PM Narendra Modi this week
- OLED iPhone with curved screen could appear in 2018, research forecasts
- 48 Hour Deals: Apple's Gold 12-inch MacBook for $899, 13" MacBook Air for $799
- Flush with Apple cash, Didi Chuxing planning US IPO as soon as 2017 - report
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' shell photos show relocated antenna bands, unexpected cutout
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway buys $1B of Apple stock
- Apple CEO Tim Cook & Didi Chuxing's president tour Beijing Apple Store
- Review: Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet is simple, affordable and functional
- Apple's Didi investment is surprising but good use of massive $233B cash hoard, analyst says
- Despite Q2 sales dip, Apple's Macs, iPad and iPhone continue to outperform the industry
- This week on AI: Apple puts $1B into Didi Chuxing, 'iPhone 7' and '7s' rumors, Apple Pay in Canada & more
- Study: Amid sea of disposable apps, health and fitness reigns supreme
- Appaloosa unloads all Apple shares as other hedge funds trim position
- Apple confirms reports of iTunes music deletion issue, 'safeguards' coming next week
- As the sun sets on Microsoft's Sunrise, here are the best alternative calendar apps for iOS
- Alpine debuts new 9-inch CarPlay display, Kia details Sportage and Optima upgrades
- Billion-dollar Didi deal seen as sign Apple's automotive interests go beyond just Maps
- Apple invites WWDC 2016 scholarship winners to June 12 orientation
- Apple's iCloud Mail & Notes services hit by sudden outage [u]
- AppleInsider podcast talks HGTV Smart Home 2016 and the latest 'iPhone 7' rumors
- Didi Chuxing president says Apple deal closed in 22 days, talks in progress in several areas
- Oklahoma City Apple Store to get 'next generation' design makeover
Sunday, May 15, 2016
Saturday, May 14, 2016
Friday, May 13, 2016