Soverain Software, a non-practicing entity that gained media attention for suing Newegg and other online retailers over "shopping cart" patents, on Thursday filed a complaint against Apple for alleged infringement of IP relating to internet-based services.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
AppleInsider goes hands-on with D-Link's new Omna, the first internet connected security camera to feature integration with Apple's HomeKit platform and iOS 10 Home app.
With the release of iOS 10, Apple introduced a new way for developers to add integrated new features for iMessage users. Here's how to use Fandango's app to explore movie listings, share showtime options with chat participants, select seats and purchase tickets with Apple Pay—all within iMessage.
Netflix may make it even easier for its subscribers using iPhones to follow its original content in the future, an executive for the streaming service has revealed, advising that the firm is currently exploring the possibility of making mobile device-specific versions of its shows.
The Swatch Group will be paving its own road into the smartwatch space with a custom operating system, the company's CEO said on Thursday, with the OS going up against mature software from incumbents Apple Watch and Google's Android Wear platform.
Apple News is proving to be a success story for venues fully invested in it, with The Telegraph seeing readers coming from the service spending more time on articles, and greater numbers of articles read per user.
Nostalgic Apple fans with deep pockets can now purchase a custom-painted iPhone 7 Plus "Retro Edition" from ColorWare, designed to look like a vintage Macintosh computer from the 1980s, for a princely sum of $1,899.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Starting Thursday, Apple Music launched a new user-driven promotional program on Twitter with the hashtag "#MusicForEveryMinute", promoted by student ambassadors who will be rewarded with an extra three months of free subscription.
Spotify is nearing new deals with major record labels that could result in some albums becoming exclusives to its paid tier, a report said on Thursday.
Apple is adding to its existing patents for automatically unlocking an iPhone using facial recognition, according to a patent application published on Thursday, revealing the Cupertino firm is still refining alternative methods of biometric security it could use in future mobile devices.
Hulu this week updated the teaser page for its upcoming live TV service, revealing some of its planned features — most notably cloud DVR support, which should be ready from the beginning.
Developer Firi Games claims to have seen a single instance of an unreleased Apple TV, running a new version of tvOS — which may be the postulated 4K version of the product thought to be in testing.
Only 72 hours after the the sixth beta release of macOS 10.12.4 and iOS 10.3, Apple has made available the seventh iteration of the test software to developers, with little increment in release numbers suggesting an imminent release for users. [Updated with public beta info]
Amazon on Thursday began updating its official app for iOS to bring support for Alexa, its voice-driven personal assistant, officially to the iPhone, allowing users to ask questions, shop, play music and more.
The "EzRecLN" capture device allows for capture of video from a connected iOS device, with a stream able to be sent across a USB cable, or stored on a micro SD card installed into the device.
Accessory maker iLuv on Thursday opened up sales of the Rainbow8, a new HomeKit-ready lightbulb that connects via Wi-Fi without requiring a dedicated hub.
Apple supplier Jabil earnings report suggests steady demand for iPhone 7 Plus, great demand for 'iPhone 8'
A pair of analysts have chimed in on Apple supplier Jabil's positive quarterly earnings report through February, and sees signs that Apple's seasonal decrease in iPhone sales may not be as pronounced as expected.
The re-release of the iPhone 6 with 32 gigabytes of storage is expanding into another territory, after launches in India, China, and Taiwan in recent months, with a premium reseller offering the unusual-capacity handset to customers in Belarus beginning next week.
On Thursday WePay — an online payments platform with clients like Meetup, GoFundMe, and FreshBooks — announced that its clients can now accept Apple Pay on the Web, along with Android Pay.
A Washington think tank — with board members from Apple, Amazon, Google and other tech firms — on Thursday called for an international coalition to pressure China into changing course on some of its economic policies.
Huawei may have just 8 percent of its smartphones shipped with OLED panels in 2017 because of constrained supply forced by Apple's shift to the technology, and Samsung selling the majority of its available supply for the "iPhone 8."
A trio of Apple patent applications published on Thursday detail the inner workings of a wireless earbud system packed with sensors for taking biometric readings, suggesting the company is developing an advanced set of AirPods.
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Apple in a recent update to its Apple Maps service added satellite and drone imagery, as well as related geolocation tags, covering Apple Park, the company's headquarters that is currently under construction in Cupertino, Calif.
Two years after Apple partnered with The Conservation Fund to protect more than 36,000 acres of vulnerable forestland in Maine and North Carolina, the ambitious project is showing returns, with more than 13,000 metric tons of wood harvested between the two states last year.
ExclusiveLast call! The Big AppleCare Sale: Save $50 to $130 on standalone AppleCare plans with no tax in 48 states
Now through March 17, AI readers can exclusively save $50 to $130 on standalone AppleCare plans for MacBooks, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros and iMacs with free shipping. Plus, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ.
Though headphones are headphones for the most part, Apple's Powerbeats3 — equipped with a proprietary W1 wireless chip, and geared towards fitness enthusiasts — does have some unique features. Here's some tips for making the most of them.
A new report by Kantar Worldpanel examining global smartphone sales data shows Apple's flagship iPhone 7 continues to win new market share for Apple in most of the regions tracked, outside of Spain, China and Japan.
An analyst claims that Apple is on track for its services business revenue estimates so far, and any large acquisitions it may make will just accelerate the growth driven by the iPhone 7, and successor "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" devices expected in 2017.
The desktop versions of Chrome — including the Mac edition — now throttle the performance of background tabs, according to Google, reducing CPU demand and hence the browser's power consumption on MacBooks.
Wearable technology company Polar has introduced the H10 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor, with the new version of the chest-worn device offering greater accuracy over previous models, plus the ability to be connected to an iPhone and Apple Watch using the company's app.
McDonald's has started to test mobile ordering of food from some of its restaurants, with customers in areas of Washington and California among the first to try out the iOS app's new feature, which the fast food chain hopes to spread globally later this year.
Apple's first store in downtown Miami — Brickell City Centre — will see a grand opening on Saturday, March 25, the company has announced.
Major banks in Australia find alternatives to NFC-based payments, such as Apple Pay, to be an "unrealistic" prospect to the Australian mobile payment marketplace, according to a submission provided to a government regulator, arguing for Apple to open up access of the iPhone's NFC technology to third parties.
Yet another report has emerged from the Chinese supply chain, suggesting that while the high-end "iPhone 8" will have a curved screen, but it won't be so pronounced as to make it unrecognizable as an iPhone at first glance.
Samsung is reportedly intensifying its investments into chip production, with an eye on once again manufacturing A-series processors for Apple starting in 2018.
With Apple rumored to unveil new products next week, but no media event seemingly planned, onlookers have been left to guess what — if anything — the company could launch with so little fanfare. One wild guess: A new 9.7-inch iPad, potentially replacing the iPad Air 2.
Some 187,000 apps could be rendered useless with the launch of "iOS 11," according to an app analytics firm, assuming the anticipated update is when Apple plans to kill 32-bit support.
After a few months of revenue boosted by Apple production demands, manufacturing partner Pegatron's CEO says that the company could build the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 8" in the U.S. if it is asked to — but Apple would have to shoulder all of the company's costs for doing so.
- Why Apple is unlikely to ditch Touch ID for facial recognition with 'iPhone 8'
- New photo of Apple's iPhone repair and calibration machine surfaces online
- Google adds Safari-like 'Reading List' feature to Chrome for iOS
- Samsung plays catch-up with Apple, promises monthly security updates for unlocked US phones
- Survivor's guide to taxes: The best tax software for Macs
- Russia finds Apple guilty of ordering iPhone price fixing with local retailers
- New terminal could bring Apple Pay to more restaurant tables
- Apple Park HQ buttressed by Central & Wolfe 'AC3' campus in Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Rare functional Apple-1 hits auction block in May with $320,000 estimated price
- Apple issues sixth betas of watchOS 3.2, tvOS 10.2 to developers
- Hacker, iOS researcher Jonathan Zdziarski hired by Apple's device security department
- 'Proton' Mac trojan has Apple code-signing signatures, sold to 'customers' for $50K
- Apple & others back Google in opposing FBI warrant for overseas emails
- Concept imagines Apple's 'iPhone 8' with Siri-based augmented reality
- LG UltraFine 5K disconnect saga seemingly over, third parties used to retrofit RF shielding
- Rumor: Apple to debut 10.5-inch iPad Pro at special event in early April
- Snap poaches Apple News media manager to work on Discover section
- Apple snubs Nokia's Withings on new HomeKit accessories webpage
- Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades
- Apple's new 'Sticker Fight' ad for iPhone 7 emphasizes iMessage feature
- Asthma study using Apple's ResearchKit proven accurate when compared to existing research
- New iPad models in testing near Apple's Cupertino headquarters, data suggests
- Apple releases sixth betas of macOS 10.12.4, iOS 10.3 to developers [u]
- Rumor: Apple's new iPad Pros could debut next week, with or without an event
- Despite China weakness, Apple's 'aspirational' brand remains strong globally — report
- Apple updates HomeKit accessories page with availability & new categories
- Nintendo Switch exploit discovered, leverages old iOS WebKit jailbreak method
- Pandora guns for Spotify & Apple Music with new Premium on-demand service [u]
- Google launches Uptime collaborative YouTube viewing app exclusively for iOS
- 'Game of Thrones' stars Maisie Williams & Sophie Turner to appear in Apple's 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Intel buying Mobileye for $15.3B to expand further into self-driving technology
- Hands On: BusyCal's long development benefits feature set for Mac, iPhone
- Deals: 13" MacBook Air for $799 ($200 off); 512GB 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,849 ($150 off); Beats Tour2 headphones for $55 + no tax in 48 states
- Tips: How to take screenshots from a fourth generation Apple TV
- Hands On: Microsoft OneNote is powerful, but needs Office to shine
- Analyst predicts weak demand for Samsung Galaxy S8, suggests focusing on Apple OLED 'iPhone 8'
- This week on AI: 'iPhone 8' delays, the CIA's iOS hacking tools, Apple fights 'right to repair' & more
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Monday, March 13, 2017
Sunday, March 12, 2017
Saturday, March 11, 2017