Apple paid rare attention to its pro customers this week, teasing a redesigned Mac Pro along with catered iMacs. Behind-the-scenes dealings also made headlines, particularly news that Apple will developing its own GPUs.
Saturday, April 08, 2017
Friday, April 07, 2017
As the streaming music war intensifies, hip hop star and Tidal co-owner Jay Z is quietly removing his music from major streaming music outlets Apple Music and Spotify, while leaving the same tracks in place on his own service.
J.D. Power: 2017 tablet buyers report "outstanding" satisfaction, ready to spend money on premium brands
In a followup conversation to clarify the firm's recently reported findings on U.S. tablet buyers, J.D. Power highlighted a series of data points that overturn many established narratives on the "beleaguerment" of the tablet market, particularly with regard to premium-priced, higher-end models.
A new rumor, possibly recycled from 2016, claims that the Apple Smart Connector, or a variant thereof, will appear on the iPhone 8 and will be utilized for charging the device, plus potential AR and VR applications.
Apple has signed a deal with NBC that will see the crew of "Saturday Night Live" create at least one commercial for the iPhone maker, blurring the line between the show and advertising.
Samsung Electronics on Friday announced a forecast of its best profits in over three years for the March quarter, despite dealing with the fire-prone Galaxy Note 7, and a political scandal that resulted in the arrest of vice chairman Jay Y. Lee.
This week, users on Facebook began receiving a public service announcement from the social networking site regarding what it has branded as "false news," offering tips on how to spot a fake story.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Heralded tech journalist Walt Mossberg is retiring in June after a 47-year career, 26 of it exclusively focusing on consumer technology including extensive coverage of Apple, and a great deal of time with Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.
Taking it out of a year-long test phase, Facebook on Friday launched "M," a new AI assistant integrated into Messenger that bears some similarity to Apple's data detectors, as well as rumored Siri integration into Messages for "iOS 11."
Toshiba has reportedly shrunk the group of bidders for its memory business from about 10 to a number that may no longer include Apple, though no binding offers have been made, and more bidders could potentially join.
A new schematic has emerged purporting to be of the forthcoming "iPhone 8," but inconstancies with existing supply chain reports suggest strongly that it is a fake.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Mikey and Dan chat about Apple's uncharacteristic Mac Pro pre-announcement, MacBook Pro hardware rumors, Apple's decision to ditch Imagination Technologies graphics IP, the new Clips app and more.
Thursday, April 06, 2017
Apple recently unified its iPad product line with the release of the 2017 9.7-inch iPad, a replacement for the outgoing iPad Air 2. Starting at $329, the new iPad skips some high-end features like quad speakers and a laminated, wide color gamut display, but brings entry level users up to speed with an A9 SoC and 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
A group of eight social media companies, including Twitter and Instagram, have agreed to pay a total of $5.3 million to settle a 2012 class action lawsuit which alleges user privacy was breached when the apps leveraged an iOS feature that uploaded details from users' contact lists.
Adobe on Thursday issued updates for Illustrator CC, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary, and InDesign CC, introducing new features and user interface improvements to the professional design software.
Premium network Showtime on Thursday updated its official apps for iOS with support for downloading episodes, giving both cord cutters and cable subscribers the option to watch programs like "Homeland" and "Billions" without an internet connection.
Apple CEO Tim Cook visited his alma mater Auburn University on Thursday to speak about diversity, inclusion and other issues related to human rights, topics for which the high-profile tech executive consistently advocates.
Not to be left behind by recent social media trends, Apple on Thursday released Clips, an iPhone and iPad app designed to create splashy videos for sharing on networks like Facebook and YouTube. Here's what it's like in action.
New claims about future Mac hardware have emerged after Tuesday's revelations from Apple's Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi, with the latest rumors suggesting that future high-end Retina MacBook Pros may not include a Touch Bar, and the iPad Pro could be used directly as a tablet input device for a connected Mac.
A curious report from J.D. Power gave Microsoft's Surface brand a higher overall score in comparison to other tablet makers, "largely due to its top rankings in the features and styling & design factors," in particular the size of the screen.
Apple's compact video editing app Clips has debuted and requires iOS 10.3 which in itself runs on 32-bit devices — but the app doesn't run at all on the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPad 4.
Apple on Thursday released Clips, a new iPhone and iPad app geared toward shooting and editing video for sharing on social media. It's available as a free download from the iOS App Store.
Western Digital on Thursday announced the My Passport SSD, not only its first portable SSD but a unit designed with Apple's latest MacBooks in mind, thanks to a built-in USB-C port.
On the heels of the 2013 Mac Pro price improvements, Nvidia has announced a brand new Titan Xp video card using the Pascal architecture, with a driver release coming soon allowing any Nvidia Pascal-based video cards to be installed in compatible older PCI-e Mac Pros.
After an international roll-out, flat-pack furniture company Ikea has brought its Tradfri smart home system to the U.S., with a starter gateway kit with two bulbs, a network gateway, and a dimmer for $80.
Apple is reportedly one of seven multinationals the Australian Taxation Office has asked to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in back taxes, accusing the corporations of using tactics like "debt dumping" and moving profits offshore to avoid obligations.
New supply chain data shows the impact of a $9 billion OLED screen contract on Samsung, which could see as many as 55 million "iPhone 8" flagship phones shipping to consumers by the end of this year.
Canonical, the software support company that maintains Ubuntu Linux, has announced it is throwing in the towel on Ubuntu phones and tablets and ending work on Unity8—a concept it had hoped would create a "convergence" experience to enable its smartphones to act as a PC or smart TV.
Wednesday, April 05, 2017
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission on Thursday local time filed a federal lawsuit against Apple for allegedly disabling iPhone and iPad hardware repaired by unauthorized third parties.
Pebble this week issued a firmware update that removes device dependency on cloud services, meaning existing hardware will remain operable once parent company Fitbit shuts down legacy Pebble servers later this year.
Samsung's Tizen operating system is a mess of zero-day exploitable security flaws, broken encryption privacy issues and amateur-level coding mistakes, according to the findings of a security researcher participating in Kaspersky Lab's Security Analyst Summit.
Microsoft is expanding its presence on Apple's iOS 10 messaging platform with a new iMessage App designed to allow groups to search for movies, food, events and other entertainment options and vote on what to do.
YouTube TV, Google's live TV streaming service, is now live in five major markets in the United States, with Google tempting users to try out its $35 subscription service by offering a free Chromecast, allowing shows to be viewed on a television instead of through the iOS and Android apps.
Beginning on Thursday, AT&T will include a free HBO subscription as a perk of its high-cost Unlimited Plus plan, intensifying recent competition among U.S. cellular carriers.
The ability to mount an iOS-connected GoPro with the image stabilizing Karma Grip can be greatly enhanced with a newly launched extension cable accessory, though it carries a $100 price tag.
The 2017 9.7-inch iPad isn't intended to revolutionize Apple's tablet offerings, but it does go a long way to unifying the product line, and paving the way for the future of the platform — all starting at just $329.
An upcoming crossover SUV, the 2018 Outlander Sport, will be Mitsubishi's next vehicle to support Apple's CarPlay, the Japanese automaker announced on Wednesday.
Smarthome vendor Koogeek has updated its line of HomeKit products, and has released the Smart Socket — a device that plugs into any Edison-style lightbulb receptacle turning it into a Siri-controllable light.
- Western Union enables Apple Pay for money transfers on iPhone
- Apple said to diversify Apple Watch manufacturing duties as sales expand
- Scania brings Apple's CarPlay to semi trucks for first time
- Apple Pay agreements with credit card companies, banks up for renewal this year
- Where to find the best deals on Apple's 2017 9.7" iPad line
- Rumor: Supply chain issues with 'iPhone 8' 3D sensors may lead to late launch in Oct. or Nov.
- Deals: 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,599 ($200 off); upgraded 13" MacBook Pro with function keys for $2,499 ($250 off); free $15 bonus w/ $150 Best Buy gift card
- Apple executives net more than $13M each in vested stock
- Why Apple's new GPU efforts are a major disruptive threat to Nvidia
- Apple warns iCloud users some services accidentally reactivated with iOS 10.3 [u]
- Analysts suspect Apple will offer OLED 'iPhone 8' for less than $1,000, cite market forces
- Apple's comments on future Mac Pro hint at possible virtual reality support in macOS
- Apple Music Android app brought up to par with iOS in major redesign
- Apple passingly acknowledges external GPU technology during future Mac Pro, iMac reveal
- Apple's Angela Ahrendts confirms store in Dubai Mall, highlights teaser artwork
- Apple Pay comes to over 20 more US & Russian financial institutions
- Deals: 9.7" iPads now shipping with no tax in 48 states; 15" MacBook Pro w/ AppleCare for $2,358 ($390 off); 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro for $1,649
- Spotify inks deal with Universal limiting some new music releases to paid subscribers
- Apple's Mac mini an 'important product,' staying in lineup
- Patent applications show Apple has considered adding Touch Bar to Magic Keyboard
- No touchscreens coming to pro Macs, says Apple's Phil Schiller
- Apple plans new iMac configurations targeting pro users for later this year
- Apple upgrades 2013 Mac Pros with more cores & faster GPUs
- All-new Mac Pro with modular design, Apple-branded pro displays coming in 2018
- Trump repeals federal protections stopping ISPs from selling user data
- Apple refunding users who purchased Workflow after acquiring app, developers
- As Apple's GPU plans go public, Imagination fears becoming a tech orphan
- Notorious patent troll Uniloc targets Apple over Maps, Apple ID, remote software updates
- Winners of the CalDigit TS3 Lite Thunderbolt 3 dock giveaway announced [Rich H., Kelly W., John B.]
- Apple to reveal fiscal Q2 2017 earnings on May 2
- Veteran designer Christopher Stringer leaves Apple after 21 years
- Apple ordering 70 million Samsung OLED panels for 'iPhone 8' - report
- Exclusive Deals: Save up to $150 on 2016 12" MacBooks + free Magic Mouse 2 offer
- Apple pushes out iOS 10.3.1 update, fixing iPhone 5 & 5c OTA update issue [u]
- Subaru preps 2018 Crosstrek SUV with support for Apple CarPlay
- Intel 'Cannon Lake' Core processor suitable for MacBook Pro, iMac likely delayed, could slip into 2018
- Android becomes world's most used OS online, Apple's iOS & macOS trail
- GN's iPhone-connected ReSound LiNX 3D hearing aid allows remote tuning by doctors
- ESPN update rebrands Apple TV app, adds more on-demand content
- Apple ditching Imagination Technologies GPU technology, moving design in-house
- Apple, Amazon, Google identified as bidders for Toshiba's NAND flash memory business
Tuesday, April 04, 2017
Monday, April 03, 2017