As Apple fights off regulatory attacks from Australia's "big three" banks in a bid to widen regional Apple Pay adoption, major international brands ING and Macquarie on Friday local time promised to support the digital payments system in the near future.
Thursday, February 09, 2017
Due to its distinct lack of physical controls, setting sound levels on Apple's new AirPods requires the use of either Siri or the volume buttons on a paired iPhone, both of which operate on preset magnitudes. For greater control, use Siri to raise or lower the beats by percentage.
Shipping estimates for LG's UltraFine 5K Display, sold exclusively through Apple's retail network, have slipped to over a month as the Korean company issues updated hardware with better RF shielding.
Nintendo president gaining confidence in iPhone gaming following big 'Mario,' 'Fire Emblem' launches
Nintendo has latest mobile game, 'Fire Emblem: Heroes', has so far earned the game company $5 million dollars since its launch on February 2, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima advised in an interview, with the Japanese firm increasing its confidence in producing apps for iOS and other platforms.
B&O Play has launched the Beoplay H4 wireless headphones, the Bang & Olufen brand's cheapest wireless option in its over-ear headphone range, with users able to alter the settings of the headset from an Apple Watch.
People wanting to take advantage of Apple's heavily-discounted Pro Apps Bundle for Education can now do so in over 30 more countries around the world, thanks to expanded distribution this week.
Apple executives have received high placings in Billboard's 2017 Power 100, a list of the major players in the music industry, with Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine, and Robert Kondrk sharing fourth place behind the chief executives of Live Nation, Universal Music, and Spotify.
Customers who have been waiting months for Apple's delayed BeatsX earbuds will be given a consolation: three free months of Apple Music streaming.
Apple's native iOS Weather app is pretty spartan. Given that we're in the midst of a very strange winter in the U.S. — with record temperatures, thunderstorms, tornadoes, ice storms, and epic snow all in the same week — use one of these six weather apps to get a bit more data than Apple supplies.
Researchers find iCloud storing Safari history & Google search data for years, Apple now deletes data older than 2 weeks
iCloud-stored Safari browser history was discovered to be stored on iCloud and accessible by an update to a newly-updated forensics data gathering suite for over a year even after deletion — but Apple has already taken steps to rectify the problem.
Kawasaki this week showed off an industrial robot called "duAro" that can perfectly apply a screen protector to Apple's iPhone with no trapped air bubbles, accomplished in conjunction with Aldebaran and SoftBank's humanoid Pepper robot.
In reimagining the iPhone from the ground up with new features like wireless charging, Apple will reportedly also have to rethink how the handset is built, adding a thin graphite sheet to the handset's internals to prevent overheating.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Apple's rumored store in the Austrian capital of Vienna was confirmed on Thursday, as the company posted job listings for an unspecified location in the city [updated with confirmation].
A second example of malware targeting macOS users has surfaced this week, with the discovery of a Word document that attempts to use an automatically-running macro, one that tries to download a hazardous payload to infect the target Mac.
In a Downing Street meeting on Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook and U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May discussed a variety of topics, including local Apple investments and May's plans to withdraw her country from the European Union following a 2016 referendum [updated with more info on Cook's UK visit].
Analysts predict that recent reorganizational efforts and a financial assist by the Japanese government for Apple supplier Japan Display, the prime supplier of iPhone screens, may not matter much if Apple does in fact shift to OLED screens in the "iPhone 8" and future models.
An Apple patent application uncovered on Thursday details a method of triggering the automatic exchange of information between two wearables with a simple greeting gesture, like a wave or fist-bump.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published an Apple patent application hinting at the company's plans to build an advanced iPhone, or other personal device, with an exceedingly flexible display.
Wednesday, February 08, 2017
Nearly two weeks after releasing an initial public beta version of its upcoming macOS 10.12.4 update, Apple on Wednesday pushed out a second test version of the operating system to Public Beta Program members.
In time for two new LG smartwatches, the Watch Sport and Watch Style, Google on Wedndesday launched Android Wear 2.0, an updated OS meant to put Android watches on par — or at least closer to par — with the Apple Watch. Here's how the new software compares with Apple's watchOS 3.
Commerce company Square has launched a new set of tools to help medium-sized businesses manage their affairs, with Square for Retail combining a point-of-sale app with other important business functions, including managing employees and inventory.
Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke at his honorary degree ceremony at the University of Glasgow, discussing what motivations graduates should use for employment, President Trump's immigration executive order, and Steve Jobs as his main professional inspiration.
A new high-end, top-of-the-line iPhone featuring an OLED display and an all-new design is expected to debut later this year with a similarly premium price tag, which one report claims could start at more than a thousand dollars.
On his way to receive an honorary degree at University of Glasgow, Apple CEO Tim Cook stopped by the Glasgow Buchanan Street Apple store for about 15 minutes.
On February 16, Apple will pay shareholders of record a quarterly dividend of $0.57 per share, but investors must own the company's stock before February 9 in order to qualify. Apple will pay out $3.1 billion in dividends on its outstanding shares for the quarter.
As part of its regular expansion, Apple has added 27 more banks and credit unions to its list of institutions that support Apple Pay.
Despite working on its own SmartDeviceLink, Ford continues to offer Apple's CarPlay in its new vehicles, with the 2018 Expedition including the technology alongside a wi-fi hotspot.
The Galaxy Note 7 battery saga continues to cause problems for Samsung, as a fire broke out Wednesday at a facility used in the production of the faulty batteries found in the discontinued smartphone.
Inventory of Apple's entry-level 9.7-inch iPad continues to dry up as a trio of new models are rumored to soon launch, potentially suggesting the popular iPad Air 2 will be axed for a new model with faster processor.
A class-action suit filed against four optical drive manufacturers alleging illegal price fixing has been settled, with previous owners of computers equipped with CD or DVD drives between 2003 and 2008 eligible for $10 per computer owned during that period.
New Mac malware from Iran targets US defense industry, human rights advocates with fake Flash updates
Security researchers have discovered new malware for macOS called 'MacDownloader,' which is believed to have been created by Iranian hackers to try and attack individuals and companies involved in the US defense industry.
A long-discussed manufacturing plant, said to be built by Apple manufacturer Foxconn or its subsidiary Sharp, may break ground as soon as the summer of 2017 with Sharp at the helm, according to a new report
After teasing Touch Bar support for the omnipresent Office in October, Microsoft has added preliminary support for the MacBook Pro feature in its most recent build for the "slow ring" of its beta testers.
After using Apple's AirPods for more than a month, AppleInsider revisits the company's first wireless headphone device to report on battery life, design benefits and flaws, durability, performance and more. We also offer our two cents on areas that need improvement.
To keep AirPods as hassle-free — and aesthetically pleasing — as possible, Apple opted to completely replace physical controls with Siri voice commands, a first for the company. AppleInsider compiled a few key phrases new AirPods owners should know in order to get the most out of their purchase.
Ends tonight! Apple AirPods are in hot demand, but we're giving away a free pair to one lucky reader. Follow us for your chance to win a pair of Apple's wireless earphones and avoid the extended six-week wait.
Tuesday, February 07, 2017
Apple's success in Greater China has wavered slightly over the last year, with the region now bringing in less revenue for the company than Europe, but data suggests the market has every chance of bouncing back and re-overtaking Europe's sales figures.
Apple's WebKit team on Tuesday proposed a new Community Group at the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) that will focus on developing a new standard API, perhaps based on Metal, for accelerating GPU-based 3D graphics and general computation for the web.
- Apple hires former head of Amazon's Fire TV unit to lead Apple TV operations
- 2018 Dodge Durango SRT to feature Apple CarPlay and BeatsAudio sound system
- Apple v. Samsung remanded back to court where legal battle began
- Apple VP of enterprise sales makes unexpected departure
- Apple Pay now accepted by 36% of US merchants, is most common mobile payment platform
- Latest estimates place holiday Apple Watch sales at 6M with $2.6B in revenue
- Apple Music's Jimmy Iovine talks joining Apple, intersection of tech and music
- How to force close Apple Watch apps in watchOS 3
- Apple releases second developer beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4, second iOS 10.3 public beta
- Shielding on updated LG UltraFine 5K Thunderbolt 3 displays fixes RF interference, crashes
- References to possible 2017 MacBook Pro with Intel Kaby Lake CPUs found in macOS Sierra beta code
- YouTube debuts iPhone livestreams for people with over 10,000 subscribers
- iPhone camera maker Sony introduces new optics capable of 1000fps full HD slow motion video
- Apple's Tim Cook extends European tour to Germany, third French store & more
- Apple's W1-equipped wireless BeatsX headphones ship Feb. 10
- Despite claims to the contrary, Apple's 'iPhone 8' remains likely to launch in September
- TLS vulnerability in popular iOS apps allows user data to be intercepted in man-in-the-middle attack
- Apple's Campus 2 repeatedly delayed by emphasis on perfecting small details, profile says
- Truphone offers data plans for Apple SIM-equipped iPads to 40 countries
- Apple granted patent for 'dual mode' headphone that doubles as a speaker
- Last call! Lowest Price Ever: Apple's 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro for $1,299 with no tax in 48 states
- Apple shares new 'One Night' ad as part of 'Shot on iPhone 7' campaign
- Apple CEO Tim Cook discusses rumored Paris retail store, EU tax ruling, AI, AR in interview
- Apple formalizes 8-pin 'Ultra Accessory Connector' for switching headphones from Lightning to 3.5mm, USB-C
- UK's BT publicly supports Google, fears Apple dominance, in EU Android antitrust case
- Apple may open second Dubai store in March, shutters Danbury, Conn. outlet for likely in-place expansion
- Back to School promotions on Mac, iPad Pro start in Australia, Japan, New Zealand
- Apple issues second betas of iOS 10.3, watchOS 3.2, tvOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple rolls out Maps transit directions in New Orleans in time for Mardi Gras
- Apple cedes ground in growing Chinese smartphone market as consumers await redesigned 'iPhone 8'
- Shielded LG UltraFine 5K displays headed to Apple stores, fixes done on case-by-case basis
- Apple CEO Tim Cook meets with fashion designer Julien Fournie, VizEat co-founders in France
- Apple objects to 'free ride' requests by Australian banks to open up NFC on iPhone
- Apple floats idea of refurb iPhone sales as condition of local manufacturing in India
- W1-equipped BeatsX headphones begin arriving in NYC Apple stores
- VR evangelist doubles down on rumor that Apple AR headset is inbound, moves date up to 2017
- Apple, Google, 95 other U.S. companies file in opposition to Trump's immigration ban
- Apple's Tim Cook makes surprise stops at stores in Paris, Marseilles
- Deals: Free Kensington USB-C Dock ($200 value) with any 2016 15" MacBook Pro; 128GB iPad Air 2 for $459; $100 off 13" MacBook Pro
- The easy guide to switching from Windows to Mac
- Tips: Delaying the start of iTunes to avoid the missing library error on macOS
- Football fans can stream Super Bowl 51 live with Fox Sports Go on iOS, Apple TV
- This week on AI: Apple's blockbuster Q1, Cook battles Trump, a new Apple chip design and more
Monday, February 06, 2017
Sunday, February 05, 2017
Saturday, February 04, 2017