Apple on Sunday released a new Apple Music ad spot featuring Drake getting pumped — literally and metaphorically — to Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood," a meta callback to Swift's own commercial for the streaming music service.
Sunday, November 20, 2016
Saturday, November 19, 2016
Apple CDO Jony Ive and part time company collaborator Marc Newson on Saturday unveiled their awaited interpretation of Claridge's Christmas tree in London. The installation, which is quite literally a small grove of completely bare fir trees, once again proves the pair of industrial designers masters of the austere.
Apple Deals: 32GB iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi) for $369; 128GB Air 2 (Wi-Fi) for $449; up to $600 off first-gen Apple Watches
Black Friday deals are starting to trickle in with B&H Photo taking $30-$50 off 32GB and 128GB iPad Air 2 models (Wi-Fi Only). Or pick up an original Apple Watch for as low as $199.99 with free shipping and no tax outside NY.
Officials from Apple met with premium automaker McLaren, but the discussions never went as far as a bid, the CEO of the sports car company has revealed in a new interview.
Some buyers of Apple's new MacBook Pros are finding that the three-finger drag gesture is working inconsistently on their trackpads, if at all, according to complaints on Apple's support forums and elsewhere.
Even without the first Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pros showing up on doorsteps, it was a busy week in the Apple news sphere, with rumors about augmented reality glasses, OLED iPhones, and Apple possibly crippling Sprint/Verizon models of the iPhone 7.
Friday, November 18, 2016
Alphabet's Nest this week rolled out an update to its app platform that allows owners to stream Nest Cam feeds directly to fourth-generation Apple TV units, while introducing a new video clip creation and sharing feature called "instaclip."
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $130 to $350 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $130 and $350 on pre-orders for every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Friday, November 18, 2016
Teardown of 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar reveals non-removable SSD, extra trackpad touch controller, more
Repair firm iFixit on Friday completed its dissection of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, which boasts upscaled components and extra hardware not found on its smaller 13-inch sibling.
A follow-up report regarding iPhone 7 download speeds confirms Apple is indeed limiting the performance of Verizon/Sprint units with Qualcomm modems to keep parity with AT&T/T-Mobile versions running Intel's new communication package.
Having trouble deciding between Apple's thin-but capable 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and the powerhouse 15-inch MacBook with Touch Bar? AppleInsider breaks down the pros and cons of each variant in this head-to-head comparison video.
The Promenade at Communications Hill in San Jose, Calif., will be the first HomeKit-enabled community, featuring built-in Apple-connected smart home connectivity for prospective buyers.
At this week's Los Angeles Auto Show, Fiat Chrysler's Jeep division revealed its first vehicle with support for Apple CarPlay built in, the 2017 Compass.
In an effort to offer a uniform experience on the iPhone 7 regardless of carrier, Apple could be reducing the top speeds capable on Verizon, keeping them on par with rival carrier AT&T, a new investigation alleges.
Some recipients of the new MacBook Pro with integrated GPU are reporting that the macOS System Profiler is reporting that the chipset is better than it is, but the problem is purely cosmetic and the GPU is being properly utilized by the system.
Retail availability of the iPhone 7 — particularly the jumbo-sized iPhone 7 Plus — remains in short supply just a week before Black Friday, a new survey has found, suggesting Apple is still struggling to satisfy consumer demand for its latest-generation handset.
While supplies last, Apple authorized reseller B&H has Apple's Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2.6GHz/8GB/256GB/Radeon 450) in stock and ready to ship with free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY. Plus, B&H is throwing in a free copy of Parallels 12 — all while avoiding Apple's current 4-5 week wait time.
Apple has reportedly hired Wei Gu — recently an editor with the Wall Street Journal — as a new director for its Chinese public relations team, operating out of Shanghai.
Sources close to the investigation on Chinese iPhone 6 models failing with what appears to be a charged battery have told AppleInsider that the main cause of the problems appear to be not related to Apple engineering, but is directly related to the proliferation of low-quality third-party charging peripherals in the country.
A new exploit requiring precise timing in conjunction with physical access to a device that has Siri enabled on the lock screen has surfaced, giving attackers the ability to view contact information, including photos, and message logs.
On Thursday night's episode of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the show aired a parody of Apple's design videos to make fun of the company's new coffeetable book, Designed by Apple in California.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Dan discuss Dan's MacBook Pro review, MacBook Pros, what happens when Siri becomes a chatbot in Messages, and the latest in iPhone news and rumors.
Thursday, November 17, 2016
In what appears to be a response to the so-called "touch disease" problem, Apple on Thursday initiated a special program to repair iPhone 6 Plus devices exhibiting screen flicker issues due to multiple drops on a hard surface.
Apple on Thursday activated in-store pickup as an online order option for new MacBook with Touch Bar models, though initial stock checks show extremely limited availability nationwide.
Apple on Thursday premiered a new video ad for the Touch Bar-enhanced MacBook Pro, marketing the computer as a "tool for all the ideas to come."
Some — but not all — Touch Bar models of the new MacBook Pro are shipping with System Integrity Protection disabled, potentially exposing them to malware threats, according to discussions on Twitter.
Following availability on iOS and the PlayStation 4 game console, Sony on Thursday expanded its PlayStation Vue cable cutting service to the Apple TV.
Apple's new iPad app designed to teach programming concepts has been updated with a third new Learn to Code lessons, support for sound and music, line highlighting and the upcoming Hour of Code workshops the company is hosting in its retail stores in early December.
Getting 4K on a relatively recent Mac has some hang-ups, but is still possible — and rewarding! AppleInsider explains the ins and outs of how to do so, even on some computers that Apple doesn't officially support.
Mozilla launches ad-blocking Firefox Focus browser for iOS, Twitter updates notifications for iOS 10
Mozilla on Thursday launched a new privacy-focused iOS Web browser, Firefox Focus, while Twitter started rolling support for iOS 10's more detailed notifications.
Primary iPhone assemblers Foxconn and Pegatron are said to have been evaluating the ability of the company to shift production of Apple's mobile devices to the U.S., with the verdict mixed on if the move would be cost-effective.
Apple on Thursday opened up registrations for its free 2016 Hour of Code workshops, which will take place between Dec. 5 and 11 at Apple stores worldwide.
Apple will finally launch its BeatsX earbuds — equipped with the company's proprietary W1 wireless chip — on Dec. 16, according to retailer B&H.
A recent analyst note predicts that the iPhone's installed base will migrate over to optical image stabilization in both camera lenses across most of the line in 2017, with about 85 percent of the line sporting a camera similar to that in the iPhone 7 Plus by 2018.
Any iPhone user with iCloud Drive enabled is having their call logs automatically uploaded to Apple servers — without their consent, and whether or not they have backups enabled, a Russian security firm said on Thursday. [Updated with statement from Apple]
Apple is widely expected to introduce a new premium iPhone model in 2017 featuring an all-new design and OLED display, but the screen will be sized somewhere in between the current iPhone and iPhone Plus, according to one well-connected insider.
Apple authorized reseller B&H is taking triple digit discounts off select 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro models without a Touch Bar. On top of the instant savings, B&H will not collect sales tax on orders outside NY and expedited shipping is free. In total, shoppers can save $236-$408, making these the largest discounts we've seen on the new models to date.
A French reseller has started pre-orders of the Apple wireless AirPods, and is telling customers that the highly sought-after device will ship on Nov. 30.
An Apple patent application published Thursday suggests the company is investigating the potential of integrating its Siri virtual assistant into Messages, with claims suggesting the feature might assist users with peer-to-peer payments.
- Report reconfirms 2017 OLED iPhone to be limited by panel supplier yields
- Apple researching methods to monitor Parkinson's disease with Apple Watch and iPhone
- Watch: Unboxing Apple's 13" and 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar...simultaneously
- Apple to reportedly integrate AR features into Camera app
- Apple to halve App Store fees for content providers integrated with new 'TV' app, report says
- Apple dissolves Mac automation management post, Sal Soghoian to leave company
- Microsoft releases preview edition of Visual Studio for Mac
- How to capture screenshots of the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro
- Amazon's Music Unlimited upgrades with monthly & annual Family plans
- Valve developer claims macOS SteamVR release coming in the next few months
- Audi, Kia & Genesis announce new vehicles ready for Apple's CarPlay
- MacMall has MacBook Pros with Touch Bar now shipping; grab one before they're gone
- Everything you need to know about USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 on Apple's new MacBook Pro
- Apple marketing power, inconsistent video purchasing habits confusing Hollywood
- Manhattan DA's office says it has 423 uncracked Apple devices in evidence room
- Apple-authorized reseller in Czech Republic expects AirPods to be available in December
- What Apple would have to do to comply with Donald Trump's American-built mandate
- 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar teardown shows difficult to repair computer
- Apple's MacBook Pro Touch Bar currently lets users scrub through YouTube ads
- Apple Music nabs exclusive streaming rights to star-studded '808' documentary
- New MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models arrive at select Apple stores
- Apple releases third watchOS 3.1.1 beta to developers with minor revisions
- Apple Pay's international expansion continues with more banks in China & Russia
- Jony Ive speaks on means and methods of 'Designed by Apple in California' book
- Deals: 32GB 9.7" iPad Pro (Cellular) for $599; $400 off 2015 15" MacBook Pro; 11" Air for $459
- Monitoring software on some US Android phones sent text messages, location info to China [u]
- First look: DJI's iOS-connected $1499 Phantom 4 Pro with enhanced autopilot modes, 1" camera sensor
- Apple purged 47,300 broken & outdated App Store titles in October
- Apple SSD in Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pro fixed to motherboard, not removable
- Shazam promises Mac app update to end always-on listening
- How to grab the lowest price on Apple's new MacBook Pros with Touch Bar & Touch ID
- Dual-lens cameras expected on both Apple's OLED and 5.5" LCD 2017 iPhone models
- Apple finalizing deal for $50M AU store in central Melbourne - report
- China looks into sudden iPhone 6 & 6s shutdowns plaguing some Apple customers
- Super Mario Run for iPhone coming Dec. 15, unlocked for $9.99
- Everything you need to know about Apple's Touch Bar and Touch ID for MacBook Pro
- 'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]
- Pixelmator update brings Touch Bar support, tabs, P3 color, Universal Clipboard and more
- Apple patent refines health monitoring headphone invention to accommodate AirPods
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Tuesday, November 15, 2016