Saturday, March 14, 2015
Gazelle this week is looking to help readers make the jump to one of Apple's newly announced MacBooks by offering to pay hundreds of dollars — and in some cases over $1000 — for previous generation MacBooks, with an added $20 bonus and extended 45 day price lock.
Friday, March 13, 2015
Apple Stores around the world installed new backlit displays Thursday night, showing off the company's latest and greatest products, including the Apple Watch and an all new ultra-thin 12-inch MacBook with Retina display.
Apple now lists every major carmaker as a "committed partner" for CarPlay, including every company that produces more than a million cars per year—with the notable exception of China's state owned, "big four" vehicle producers (and those manufacturers largely sell models in joint ventures with Apple's CarPlay partners).
Rap icon Jay Z has officially taken control of Swedish Internet firm Aspiro, which markets subscription streaming services WiMP and Tidal, direct competitors of Apple's Beats Music.
Amazon is developing an app for the Apple Watch, AppleInsider has learned, while Stitcher has updated its eponymous podcasting app with better support for the displays on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
China's central government has reportedly halted the advance of proposed antiterror legislation that would have forced technology companies doing business in the country to install government-accessible backdoors in their products, provide keys for any encrypted communications services, and require data for Chinese users to remain in China.
Users cannot yet dig into the settings of the Apple Watch companion app that debuted in iOS 8.2, but one developer has cracked open the software to reveal what it will offer once an Apple Watch is connected to an iPhone.
A long-known flaw in Safari's implementation of private browsing that saves the address of each and every website users visit to a file on their local drive, even after closing private browsing windows and quitting Safari, is still present in the latest pre-release versions of OS X Yosemite.
Hidden within the newly released iOS 8.2 update for iPhone, the official "Activity" iPhone app for the Apple Watch has been discovered, with new screenshots showcasing how the software will look when a Watch is paired.
Shrouded in secrecy and speculation, Apple's mysterious "Titan" electric car project is believed to be in development at a top-secret facility hidden in plain sight, discovered by AppleInsider just minutes away from the company's California headquarters.
Microsoft is planning to bring Cortana, the voice assistant on Windows phones, to iOS and Android devices sometime after the technology arrives on desktop PCs this fall in Windows 10, according to a new report.
AppleInsider podcast reviews Apple's 'Spring Forward' event, including new Macbook, Apple Watch and Apple TV
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including a full discussion of Apple's entire 'Spring Forward' event, HBO Now and Apple TV, ResearchKit for iOS, newly redesigned MacBook and Apple Watch.
Thursday, March 12, 2015
Firaxis has released Mac and iPad versions of Sid Meier's Starships, an anticipated turn-based strategy game, while 6 Wunderkinder has updated the Mac and iOS editions of its popular to-do list app, Wunderlist, with folders and a revised design.
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook telephoned CNBC financial entertainment star Jim Cramer to congratulate him on ten years of performing his "Mad Money" high energy cable TV show, which injects wild hysterics and physical comedy rage into the generally buttoned down world of financial news.
Upcoming book reveals Steve Jobs refused liver transplant offer from Tim Cook, didn't want Apple to build TV, mulled Yahoo buy
The forthcoming book "Becoming Steve Jobs" is shaping up to be a revelation on the late Apple cofounder's life, and a recent "leak" reveals Jobs refused a living donor liver transplant from current CEO Tim Cook, was looking into an acquisition of Yahoo! and didn't want Apple to produce another TV product.
Apple has made small but important changes to its official App Store Review Guidelines for iOS developers, addressing consent issues with the company's new ResearchKit platform, along with recurring payments under Apple Pay, and downloads of third-party music and video.
Apple on Thursday officially expanded its public software beta program to include iOS, seeding members with iOS 8.3 beta 3, the same version provided to registered developers earlier in the day.
Swiss watchmaker Swatch has forged deals with banking firms to add NFC-based payments to its upcoming products, something that may be necessary to mitigate the threat of devices like the Apple Watch.
Apple on Thursday issued a number of new beta releases for developers, including an OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite beta with Force Touch trackpad support for third-party apps, as well as new betas of iOS 8.3, Xcode and OS X Server.
While many in the media are enamored with Apple's latest thin-and-light notebook, competing PC makers haven't been so kind, taking to Twitter to ridicule Apple's offering for not being the slimmest, cheapest, or highest-resolution on the market.
Deals: 13" MacBook Pros now from $1,060; Win a free MacBook Air; 15-inch MacBook Pro & iMac 5K coupons & exclusives; $50-$83 off iPad Air 2
New MacBooks from Apple this week have triggered aggressive price drops on the mid-2014 models they replace. Meanwhile, readers have an opportunity to win a free MacBook Air and take advantage of a pair of exclusive offers on both 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros, many of which include free portable optical drives and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Pro headphones.
The iPad's share of the international tablet market will likely shrink again in 2015, falling from 27.6 percent to 25.6 percent year-over-year, according to a five-year forecast issued on Thursday by research firm IDC.
Teardown of Apple's new 13" MacBook Pro reveals 'Force Touch' trackpad, shared tech with new MacBook Air
The new "Force Touch" trackpad Apple introduced for its notebooks earlier this week has begun to arrive in consumers' hands in the refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro, and a teardown of that device shows off the trackpad's construction while shedding light on storage technology shared between the company's computers.
The extended outage of Apple's online services on Wednesday appears to have impacted not just its online stores, but also its retail outlets, which suffered problems conducting basic business operations.
Apple investigating iPhone dock with integrated display, touchpad, sensors, inductive charging, more
A patent application published on Thursday reveals Apple's interest in a docking solution for iPhone and iPad that supports multiple accessories and incorporates a display, advanced gesture controls, wireless communications and even inductive charging.
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
FeatureApple Inc. has acquired 26 firms in 15 months while pursuing increased diversity, a confident Tim Cook tells shareholders
Riding high the day after detailing a series of new products at its Spring Forward event, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook recapped the company's progress at its annual shareholder meeting on Tuesday, with a particular focus on acquisitions, partnerships and achieving the kind of diversity that reflects the company's growing, global audience of employees and customers.
Dutch bank ING and Singapore's OCBC Bank recently integrated Touch ID compatibility to their respective iOS apps, marking the first time Apple's fingerprint recognition system has been used to protect mobile banking apps in those countries.
Apple has phased out fitness bands like Nike's FuelBand and Jawbone's UP from its retail store offerings as the company prepares to enter the wearables market with Apple Watch.
Apple will reportedly turn to Intel's new XMM 7360 LTE modem when it launches a special next-generation iPhone model in 2016, suggesting the company is looking to diversify baseband chip suppliers.
After being pulled from Apple's iOS App Store in 2013, Nokia's HERE mapping and navigation app is back up for download, complete with offline caching, traffic information, public transit data and more.
Key Apple designers Jony Ive and Marc Newson will be opening up the first ever Conde Nast International Luxury Conference, scheduled for April 22 and 23 in Florence, Italy, according to an announcement made on Wednesday.
A teardown of the latest 11- and 13-inch MacBook Airs shows few differences over their 2014 counterparts, and in fact demonstrates a rare decision by Apple to continue using non-adhered batteries.
Two more Apple accessory makers have each announced third-party stands for the Apple Watch: DODOcase this week unveiled the Charging Stand, while Twelve South is developing the HiRise.
The latest data from Morgan Stanley suggests Apple is on target to set a new record and sell at least 54 million iPhones in the current quarter, which concludes later this month.
Apple on Wednesday issued a rare public apology to customers, as the company's high-profile digital storefronts continue to suffer hours-long global outages sparked by what Apple is calling an "internal DNS error."
Google is taking a deeper step into the retail world with a newly-launched "store within a store," located in London, that will give the company a venue to promote products such as Android phones, Chromebooks, and the Chromecast.
The number of participants in a Stanford University cardiovascular study conducted using Apple's new ResearchKit medical research platform ballooned to more than 10,000 overnight, researchers say, after the trial was featured on stage during Apple's "Spring Forward" event earlier this week.
Apple's latest notebook may need some time to meet the lofty sales bar set by its siblings, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, as the relatively high price and unconventional port arrangement could temper demand at the outset.
- New Apple Watch models with different casing materials expected to launch this fall
- Swiss watchmakers gear up to compete with Apple Watch, could see sales boost
- With Apple Watch prices set to top $20,000 in China, factories churn out knockoffs
- Extended downtime for Apple's iTunes, App Store and more lingers for hours [ux2]
- Apple adds 14 new merchants to Apple Pay website including Jamba Juice and Office Max
- Next-gen iPhone rumored to include Force Touch, possible pink color option
- Booming retail sales enable Apple to negotiate low rent prices at malls
- Apple seeks dismissal of A123 lawsuit over alleged employee poaching
- Google Calendar comes to iPhone, 'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' hits Mac
- Apple finds sympathetic ear in fight to remove antitrust monitor Bromwich
- Griffin introduces WatchStand for Apple Watch, LaCie debuts USB-C hard drive for MacBook
- Swiss watch industry headed for an 'ice age' thanks to Apple Watch, Swatch inventor says
- Choosing your Apple Watch: Case and band combinations demystified
- Apple pledges $50M to increase the presence of women, minorities & veterans in tech jobs
- Apple Board of Directors reelected with 95% support at annual shareholder meeting
- GameStop pledges to support Apple Pay in wake of Apple Watch event
- Apple hikes international prices in response to fluctuating exchange rates
- Choosing your Apple Watch: Which size and material are right for you?
- Wall Street expects high margins, respectable sales for launch of well-designed Apple Watch
- Apple Watch battery will be replaceable to extend device's lifespan
- CIA has waged 'secret campaign' to crack Apple's iOS security - report
- AppleInsider podcast goes deep inside Apple's 'Spring Forward' event
- Apple addresses 'FREAK' attack in latest OS X, Apple TV and iOS security updates
- Video: Apple's 'Spring Forward' event summarized in 2 minutes
- Apple reportedly backs down in push to lower relaunched Beats Music service prices
- Apple Pay to land in Marriott hotels this summer, Etsy iOS app soon
- Apple Watch's IPX7 water resistance good for washing hands, but not for swimming
- First look: Apple Watch companion app debuts in iOS 8.2 with unique camera pairing method
- iMovie for OS X gets support for Photos beta in latest update
- First look: Hands-on with Apple Watch and working software
- Apple's new 12" MacBook uses iPad-style power brick, brings new USB-C breakout accessories
- First look: Hands-on with Apple's all new 12" MacBook with Retina display
- Apple Watch bands priced from $49 for sport to $449 for link bracelet, chargers cost $29/$39
- Apple Watch Edition's gold case undergoes unique hardening process, hand polishing during manufacturing
- Apple Watch will feature 'all-day' battery life of 18 hours
- Apple Watch will launch on April 24, preorders and hands-on previews start April 10
- Apple Watch Edition to start at $10,000, availability will be limited
- Steel Apple Watch collection pricing will range from $549 to $1099 depending on band selection
- Apple Watch Sport will cost $349 for 38mm model, $399 for 42mm size
- Apple to release iOS 8.2 with Apple Watch support on Monday [update: available]
- Deals: $50-$83 off iPad Air 2s; up to $700 off MacBook Pro; $50-$150 off iMac 5K with Free AppleCare & Canon Printer
- MacBook Air updated with Broadwell CPUs, Thunderbolt 2 connectors, faster flash
- 13-inch MacBook Pro gains Force Touch trackpad, Broadwell CPUs, improved battery life & faster flash
- Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display
- Apple's CarPlay supported by all 'major' manufacturers, coming to 40 new car models this year
- Apple announces ResearchKit for medical researchers, tapping into iPhone & HealthKit
- Apple's iPhone 6, 6 Plus raise combined iPhone shipments to 700 million
- Apple slashes Apple TV set-top box price to $69
- HBO Now standalone streaming service launching exclusively on Apple devices for $14.99/mo.
- Live from Apple's 'Spring Forward' Apple Watch event in San Francisco
- Apple in talks with fashion retailer Nordstrom about carrying Apple Watch
- Apple targeting independent merchants for Apple Pay, adds new FAQ and telephone support
- Apple to increase shuttle bus driver wages by 25%
- Future Apple Watches could include platinum models - report
- Apple preps to 'Spring Forward' with Apple Events channel on Apple TV, shutters online store
- Opinion: Apple Pay finds frauds reporting
Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Monday, March 09, 2015