An auction in London is featuring a custom 12.9-inch iPad Pro and accompanying Smart Cover, Apple Pencil and holder as one of its lots, as donated by Apple SDO Jony Ive and his design team.
Friday, April 15, 2016
Apple engineers jumped on a conference call with press outlets shortly following Friday's New York court filing to tout the company's encryption efforts, while at the same time making clear that those protocols are in place to protect against hackers, not government intrusion.
A recent study by Major League Baseball found iPad multitasking introduced in Apple's iOS 9 release, including Split View and picture-in-picture video, contributed to an 86 percent jump in live streaming over the last year.
Apple in a court filing Friday argued the FBI has "utterly failed" to prove necessity in its request for assistance in extracting data from a passcode-locked iPhone related to a New York drug case.
One Apple authorized reseller is blowing out their inventory of remaining 2013 and 2014 MacBooks, iMacs and Mac Pros, with the deepest discounts we've ever seen. There are only a few of each model, including $999 13" MacBook Pros, $1,499 15" MacBook Pros, $899 CTO MacBook Airs and $799 iMacs.
Apple has apparently signaled to its suppliers that it plans to maintain reduced output of the flagship iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus through the end of the June quarter, suggesting that year-over-year declines could continue, according to a new report.
In the March quarter, revenues from the Chinese iOS App Store surpassed Japan for the first time — showing them on a course to eventually top the U.S, according to estimates published on Friday.
Apple is allegedly planning to update its ultraportable MacBook with Retina display in the second half of 2016, featuring a new screen hing design made from metal injection molding, according to a new supply chain report.
A week before Earth Day, Apple has changed the leaf on its logo at retail stores to green, and also provided retail employees with green shirts. Apple's website is also prominently featuring "Liam," the robot that the company uses to quickly disassemble devices for recycling.
Owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV were on Friday greeted with an updated "What's New" splash screen, promoting "Live Tune-In," a feature letting people jump straight into the live TV feeds of select apps.
Marketing images for LG's new 15.6-inch Gram laptop depict the computer as running Apple's Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X on OS X — even though the machine is based on Windows 10. [Updated]
The store leader of Apple's Third Street Promenade store in Santa Monica, Calif. is leaving to assume a more significant role at Tesla, taking charge of a host of showrooms in Los Angeles County, according to a tip received by AppleInsider.
This week on the Appleinsider podcast, Mikey and Victor discuss Mikey's appearance on a Motor Trend roundtable, speculating on the "Apple Car." Plus, the very latest in the FBI's posturing, and fresh "iPhone 7" rumors.
Chinese consumers looking to buy a movie or e-book through Apple's iTunes services found themselves out of luck on Friday, as both stores went offline without explanation.
The deepest discounts we've seen on current-generation 2015 MacBook Airs — including many rarely-discounted built-to-order (BTO) configurations — have just gone live. Shoppers can grab a 11" MacBook Air starting at $749 or a 13" MacBook Air from $849 until April 21st.
Thursday, April 14, 2016
A set of never before seen architectural renderings of Apple's massive Campus 2 project made their way to the Web on Thursday, showing off ancillary buildings like a reception center, food shacks and more.
Riding on the back of rumors that Apple plans to make the switch to OLED display technology, a report on Thursday claims Samsung has won a three-year contract to supply the iPhone maker with 5.5-inch panels starting in 2017.
Adding to the evidence that Apple is intending to change the name of OS X, the company on Thursday posted an updated webpage referring to the software as "MacOS" instead.
A report Thursday claims Apple has a "secret team" working on major user-facing changes to App Store search results, including the possibility of charging developers to promote content.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on Apple's latest iMacs with AppleCare (up to $250 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to grab the lowest prices anywhere on all of Apple's latest iMacs with AppleCare, including the new iMac HD, iMac 4K and Late 2015 iMac with 5K Retina display. Save up to $250 instantly, with no tax in most states. Plus a free Canon AIO Photo printer with each 4K and 5K.
Thursday, April 14, 2016
Software security firm Trend Micro on Thursday announced the discovery of two new flaws in QuickTime for Windows, adding that Apple has plans to deprecate support for the software.
Apple's top lawyer is scheduled to appear before a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee next week, presumably to offer testimony on the pitfalls of granting law enforcement privileged access to encrypted devices.
As part of its highly speculative look at "Apple Car," Motor Trend invited AppleInsider to take part in a roundtable discussion to critique a collaborative concept design worked up in partnership with the ArtCenter College of Design.
On Thursday Microsoft opened a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Justice, arguing that the government can't prevent it from telling customers when federal agencies have searched through their data — or at least, not as frequently.
A winger with U.K. soccer club Manchester City, Raheem Sterling, is nearing a lucrative deal to endorse Apple devices, a report said on Thursday.
Rather than seeking Apple's assistance, the FBI plans to work with its own San Diego Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory to obtain data from a seized iPhone 5c involved in a murder investigation, if it is awarded a warrant to do so.
Apple on Thursday launched "Apps for Earth," an App Store promotion which will direct all of the proceeds from a small collection of apps and in-app transactions to the World Wildlife Fund during the month of April.
Ticket marketplace Rukkus is stepping into the virtual reality field with a new update to its iOS app, allowing users to sample the view from their seats in an arena in a more immersive way before they complete their purchase.
An unfinished app for managing Samsung's Gear S2 smartwatch has quietly appeared online, which may hint that Samsung is nearly ready to deliver on its promised iOS support.
Apple has put a new face on its efforts to lobby the federal government, bringing in Cynthia Hogan — a Washington cognoscente with close ties to the White House — to lead its office in the District.
Apple on Thursday alerted people that it will put an end to iTunes Allowances on May 25, having mostly made the program obsolete through other iTunes features.
Apple has reportedly started signing component orders for the second-generation Apple Watch, a possible sign that version two of the wearable will begin mass production within the next few months.
If Congress sends HR 2666 — a bill that might seriously weaken the FCC's net neutrality rules — to the president for his signature, it would almost certainly be returned with a veto stamp, the White House said this week.
For its latest June issue, long-running automotive serial Motor Trend threw a spotlight on rumors and speculation surrounding Apple's shadowy "Project Titan." To go along with its print coverage, which includes a well-studied "Apple Car" concept rendering, the magazine invited a panel of experts to discuss the broader implications of Apple's efforts, and AppleInsider was there.
CBS this week became the latest streaming provider to tap into Apple TV's universal search APIs, adding to a growing list of apps that let surface first-party content via text and Siri voice search.
Apple, in an effort to protect customers against a heretofore unknown iPhone vulnerability, has sought information regarding a working encryption exploit used by the Justice Department in its investigation into the San Bernardino terror attacks. A new report, however, suggests the passcode bypass technique will likely remain secret.
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
A report Wednesday claims FBI agents have not yet discovered useful information from an iPhone 5c linked to last year's San Bernardino terror attack, a device that just last month was at the center of a high-profile court battle involving Apple.
Two high-ranking U.S. senators on Wednesday released to the public a proposed bill that would grant courts the authority to order tech companies dealing in hardware, software or services help law enforcement agencies gain access to encrypted communications.
Though the issue was nominally fixed with iOS 9.3, the "1970" date bug can theoretically be used to intentionally brick any pre-iOS 9.3.1 device, according to a pair of security researchers.
- How to install and run Mac apps that don't come from the Mac App Store
- Rumor again claims Apple's 'iPhone 7' will ditch headphone jack for Lightning EarPods, sport Smart Connector
- House Judiciary Committee votes unanimously to back law demanding warrants for old emails
- Sling TV launches beta 'multi-stream' plan with simultaneous streaming on three devices
- Apple loses influential industrial designer Danny Coster to GoPro
- Meizu's new Pro 6 smartphone mimics Apple's iPhone 6s design & 3D Touch
- New York City's MTA plans to debut smartphone-based transit payments by mid-2018
- USB-C devices can now have safety, authenticity verified with new certification program
- Amazon launches $290 Kindle Oasis, its thinnest e-reader ever
- Adobe to update Premiere Pro, other CC video apps with VR/360-degree tools & more
- Apple rolls out 24-month corporate iPhone & iPad lease plans in India [u]
- FBI reportedly paid 'gray-hat' hackers, not Cellebrite, for zero day exploit in San Bernardino iPhone case
- Logitech expands audio portfolio with $50M Jaybird acquisition
- FBI Director Comey calls 'emotion' surrounding Apple case unproductive, says encryption needs legislative resolution
- Apple Watch takes 71 percent share of teen market, iPhone remains strong, study says
- Facebook debuts Messenger bots, Live API & more at F8 Developer Conference
- Adobe updates Post with Live Photos support, Airmail comes to iPad with Split View
- Apple's AirPlay comes to Android in new flagship HTC 10
- London Met Police says it has deployed just 641 iPads out of planned 15,000-20,000
- New York law could allow roadside 'textalyzer' checks for distracted driving
- Analysis ranks 9.7" iPad Pro screen as best performing mobile LCD ever made
- To make crashes 'friendlier,' Microsoft adds QR codes to Windows 10 BSOD
- Apple pulls, then reinstates several Reddit clients from App Store over 'Not Safe for Work' toggle
- Codenames for Apple's 'Project Titan' car HQ borrow from Greek mythology: 'Rhea,' 'Athena' & 'Medusa'
- Last Call: Apple's 13" MacBook Air for $869, 11" MacBook Air for $749, and 21" iMac HD for $949
- Apple grows to 7.4% of worldwide PC market as Windows continues to cede share to the Mac
- Apple premieres seven new Apple Watch ads with strong fitness & celebrity focus
- Microsoft adds contextual edit commands to Office for iPhone, Google makes Now more iPad-friendly
- Apple's iPhone SE brings poor Bluetooth call quality for some users
- Christy Turlington Burns, Apple's Jay Blahnik to talk Apple Watch & running at Boston Apple Store
- Killer Deals: Apple's current 15" MacBook Pro for $1,749, 12.9" 128GB iPad Pro in Gold for $849, Mac mini for $429
- Apple Music scores another big exclusive with Drake's 'Views From the 6' album
- US shoppers increasingly buying iPhones from carriers instead of Apple
- BlackBerry kills BB10, will work on mid-range Android phones instead
- China's Inspur rumored to be joining Apple server supply chain
- Apple Maps public transit data comes to Portland, Oregon
- Apple's Yokohama, Japan R&D facility opening delayed until early 2017
- 2016 Apple Watch will be internal 's' upgrade, major design changes to wait until 2017, insider says
- Siri, Kobe Bryant & Michael B. Jordan feature in latest Apple TV ad
- Roundup: Best iOS apps for creating, managing and sharing GIFs
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Monday, April 11, 2016
Sunday, April 10, 2016