After Consumer Reports refused to assign a recommend rating to any of Apple's three new MacBook Pro models, a first for the laptop line, Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller said the company is working with the publication to resolve the apparent battery issue.
Friday, December 23, 2016
Apple on Friday pulled all Withings products from its virtual and brick-and-mortar stores amid an escalating patent kerfuffle with the accessory maker's parent company Nokia.
OpinionNo, Apple did not switch to USB-C on its new MacBook Pros to profit from dongle & adapter sales
Apple's full embrace of USB-C has led to numerous user complaints, many of which are legitimate. However, there's one common refrain that keeps cropping up: A conspiracy theory claiming Apple switched to USB-C in order to make gobs of cash from selling users new adapters, dongles and cables. There's just one problem with that narrative — it's complete nonsense. Here's why.
The latest solid version of Scrivener, recently refined with an update , shows the writing app has aged well through years of development on multiple platforms. AppleInsider puts it through its paces, and takes a look back at Ulysses too.
Apple chip supplier TSMC is encountering lower-than-expected yield rates for its new 10-nanometer manufacturing process, something that could potentially delay the launch of new iPads in March, a report claimed on Friday.
Music streaming service Spotify has updated its macOS app, adding both Touch Bar support, and implementation of the auto-pause feature for Apple's wireless AirPods.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast reaches episode 100, answers your questions about the future of the Mac, more
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Neil reach episode 100, and answer listener questions about the future of the Mac, why people aren't buying smaller capacity phones and using iCloud, questions about AirPods, augmented reality, and more.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Uber says that the iOS Maps extension is to blame for its iPhone app appearing to track location days or weeks after a person's last ride, rather than any deliberate snooping on its part.
Thursday, December 22, 2016
Thanks to the recent encryption debate many smartphone owners are keenly aware of personal data stored on their iPhone, from contacts to calendar entries to photo metadata and more. Newly leaked documents relating to Israeli digital forensics firm Cellebrite demonstrate how much of that information is available to law enforcement agencies, at least when a device is left unencrypted.
AppleInsider would like to congratulate the winner of our latest giveaway, Kelly D., who will receive a pair of Apple's brand-new AirPods.
Just in time for Christmas, Apple on Thursday revealed the all time best-selling holiday movies on iTunes since the online storefront began selling films in 2008, with Will Ferrell's "Elf" taking the top spot.
Apple on Thursday shared three promotional videos touting the new enhanced edition of "A Song of Ice and Fire," on which HBO's hit show "Game of Thrones" is based, which landed as an exclusive in the iBooks Store in September.
For the first time ever, Consumer Reports has denied Apple's MacBook Pro lineup — all three machines — of recommended ratings, saying battery life inconsistencies are too concerning to ignore.
Apple Music executives Jimmy Iovine and Larry Jackson adopted a defensive tone in parts of an interview published on Thursday, working to explain things like the fallout of a Frank Ocean deal, and why Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo" became a short-term Tidal exclusive.
Apple on Thursday shared a new short commercial highlighting the new Apple Watch Series 2, this time throwing a spotlight on the wearable's waterproof design.
Nokia on Thursday said it has increased the number of patent suits launched against Apple from 32 to 40, spread across 11 countries, including the U.S. and parts of Asia and Europe.
After erroneous reports over the weekend said that the Apple Watch implementation of "Pokémon Go" was cancelled, developer Niantic has started the roll-out process via an updated iOS app.
If you're traveling with your iPhone this holiday, try these apps to smooth out the rough edges of your trip
If you travel a lot with your iPhone, there are a few apps that can make those arduous holiday journeys a bit easier, and AppleInsider delves into a few that we like.
Atari has released RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, an iOS title merging features from the first two RollerCoaster Tycoon PC games, both of which were extremely popular in their original 1999 and 2002 incarnations.
Following the assassination of the Russian ambassador to Turkey, Apple has reportedly been asked to unlock the shooter's iPhone 4s recovered after the gunfight for more information regarding the man, and insight on his colleagues.
Honda is reportedly in negotations with Waymo — Alphabet's self-driving car subsidiary — for a deal that could place the latter's technology in some of its vehicles.
Apple on Thursday officially rolled out a new version of its Photos Web app for iCloud, introducing an interface similar to macOS Sierra.
Apple's AirPods are by all measures a victory for the company, with Apple retail stores quickly blowing through received stock. However, online orders placed through Apple are in some cases shipping weeks earlier than advertised.
Operating on the assumption that Apple is building an OLED iPhone, flexible circuit board maker Flexium is developing products that can be paired with the display technology, a report said on Thursday.
Apple could beat its quarterly record for revenue set at this time last year, on the strength of the iPhone, increased Mac sales, and services, one analyst believes. But that growth could also be at the cost of 2017 expansion and a soft "iPhone 8" demand.
ExclusiveLast Minute Deals: 2016 13" MacBook Pro for $1,349 & high-end 2016 15" MacBook Pro for $2,549 with free next day delivery; 13" MacBook Air for $849
It's not too late to pick up a new MacBook Pro before the holidays thanks to exclusive discounts and free next day delivery on a variety of models when ordered before 4 p.m. ET. Enjoy the lowest price ever on Apple's 15" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 16GB, 512GB, 455) at $2,549 ($250 off) or snap up a 13" MacBook Pro at $1,349. Less than 12 hours remain to save $150 on the 13" MacBook Air with no tax outside NY as well.
Apple is investigating the possibility of transferring Apple Watch's haptic feedback mechanism from the device chassis to its wrist strap, a design that would allow for a much thinner product, according to a patent application discovered Thursday.
Deals: 2016 15" MacBook Pros for $2,199 & $2,549; iPad Air 2s for $359; 2015 13" MacBook Pro for $1,099
As we head into the New Year, Apple authorized reseller B&H is slashing prices on MacBooks and iPads by up to $250. Save $200 on the base 2016 15" MacBook Pro or take $250 off the high-end model with 512GB of storage and Radeon 455 graphics. Apple's 32GB iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi Only) is also $40 off, while shoppers can save $200 on a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with no tax outside NY.
Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Apple on Wednesday informed developers that it has extended the deadline by which apps submitted to the various App Stores will required to use App Transport Security, a standard introduced in iOS 9 and OS X 10.11.
Apple is rumored to introduce its first OLED iPhone model in 2017, but the company's ability to produce next-generation displays at scale could hinge on the availability of machines made by a single Japanese firm.
In a rebuke to the anti-encryption campaign waged by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation—with Apple as a target—the U.S. House Judiciary Committee's Encryption Working Group issued a report today stating "any measure that weakens encryption works against the national interest."
Nokia's legal action against Apple appears that it may be a defensive measure, as Apple has also filed suit against nine Nokia-aligned patent aggregators, alleging that the group is guilty of trying to squeeze money out of Apple with abusive licensing terms for standards-essential patents.
Following up on Tuesday's developer seeds, Apple on Wednesday released second betas of iOS 10.2.1 and macOS 10.12.3 to the public.
Ease your mind by tracking last-minute shopping with Deliveries for Mac and iOS, apps that tell you when all your deliveries are due, or when they've shown up.
Honda on Wednesday launched the 2017 CR-V, adding another vehicle to its roster compatible with Apple's CarPlay platform.
Nokia announced on Wednesday that it has filed a number of complaints against Apple in Germany and the U.S., alleging that despite a 2011 omnibus patent licensing deal, a variety of Apple products including the iPhone and iPad infringe a number of newly acquired Nokia patents.
Duet Display, an app that turns an iOS device into a secondary display for Mac or Windows systems, has been updated with support for the MacBook Pro's Touch Bar interface — even on MacBooks that don't have a Touch Bar.
Delivering hours of enveloping, untethered sound and Siri assistance, Apple's new wireless AirPods elegantly perform in a way that promises to put a smile on your face no matter how terrible of a day you're having—a beautiful thing given how many ugly days 2016 has thrown at us so far.
- Last call! Killer Deal: Apple's 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 16GB, 512GB, 455) for $2,549 ($250 off) with free expedited shipping & no tax outside NY
- Last chance! AirPods Giveaway: We're giving away a pair of Apple AirPods, follow us for a chance to win
- Apple AirPort firmware update fixes 'Back to my Mac' bug, but hardware's destiny still in doubt
- Apple iPhone supplier Japan Display picks up $636M bailout, plans OLED push
- 'Super Mario Run' for iPhone reaps 40 million downloads amidst fears from investors
- More evidence suggests Apple tie-up with wireless charging firm Energous
- Older Macs can use LG UltraFine 5K Display at lower resolutions with adapter
- Apple ceases iOS 10.1 and 10.1.1 code signing with release of iOS 10.2
- Supposedly leaked Apple documents peg three iPhones for release in 2017, top model codenamed 'Ferrari'
- Last minute holiday gift deals: Save up to $200 plus free next day delivery on MacBook Pros
- Apple seeds second betas of iOS 10.2.1 & macOS 10.12.3 to developers
- Apple adds TBS & TNT to Siri live tune-in on Apple TV
- Apple extends discount on USB-C cables, monitors, hard drives, adapters, more until March 31, 2017
- Indian Trade Ministry authorities talking local manufacturing with Apple
- Apple AirPods, charging case hold up to torture test with nothing but cosmetic damage
- LG UltraFine 5K Display now available to purchase from Apple, delivers next week
- Touch Bar keyboards, 'modest' Mac upgrades on Apple's slate for 2017
- Pokemon Go code reveals alleged hooks for soon-to-launch Apple Watch app
- Deals: 13" MacBook Air for $849; $200 off 2016 15" MacBook Pro; $30-$150 off iPad Pros
- In-store pickup for Apple AirPods advertises Feb. 8 availability
- Mac losing focus of Jony Ive, others in Apple management - report
- Apple asks permission in Health app to anonymously collect workout data for improvements
- Teardown destroys Apple's irreparable AirPods, revealing tiny circuitry held together by glue
- Apple patents panel-type acoustic system for portable devices, woven displays
- Apple working to integrate grade crossings in Maps after federal lobby
- Apple has 'great desktops' on Mac roadmap, CEO Tim Cook says
- Tim Cook explains why Apple was present at Trump tech summit
- Apple activates free next-day deliveries for last minute Christmas shoppers
- Facebook Messenger for iOS updates with group video chats & 3D masks
- Minecraft comes to Apple TV with 7 pieces of downloadable content for $20
- New router attack altering DNS settings, stealing ad traffic from infected users
- New Apple minisite aims to insert Apple Watch into corporate wellness programs
- BlackBerry pushes deeper into self-driving tech space with Ottawa research center
- Apple radically expands UK transit info in Maps, adds Salt Lake City in US
- Apple hires former Porsche race car director for alleged 'Project Titan' role
- Apple appeals EU tax ruling, claims Commission 'retroactively changed the rules'
- AirPods orders begin to arrive, stock available for purchase at some Apple stores
- All of Apple's OLED 'iPhone 8' models to use curved Samsung panels - report
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Monday, December 19, 2016
Sunday, December 18, 2016