Apparent screen yield issues will prevent Apple from producing a second-generation iPad mini with Retina display before October, according to one well-connected analyst.
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes Apple will showcase updated MacBook Pro models at its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June, with the most notable upgrade being the move to Intel's next-generation Haswell family of processors.
Saturday, April 27, 2013
J.D. Power and Associates released its most recent study on customer satisfaction in the tablet segment this week, with Apple's iPad taking the top prize for the second consecutive time.
After a decade of significant growth, Apple's Mac sales have flattened out as the larger market for PCs has begun to collapse. What future is there in the Mac business, and why is the company now designing a new Mac Pro?
Coming on the heels of Apple's filing of its most up-to-date Campus 2 build plans, the company has once again sent out mailers to neighbors in the surrounding Cupertino area, updating them with the latest news and asking for input regarding the mammoth project.
Friday, April 26, 2013
AppleInsider, which has long teamed with Apple Authorized Reseller MacMall to offer the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBook family through the addition of exclusive 3% discount coupons, is pleased to announce that those coupons have now been extended to the iMac family.
In a post to Apple's developer portal, the company announced that it will be "hitting the road" with a number of Tech Talks this fall, possibly in response to overwhelming demand for WWDC 2013 tickets.
In a blast of tweets on Thursday, the developers behind Mailbox revealed that they are currently working on an iPad version of the iOS app, as well as a number of other features like support for non-Gmail and POP accounts, landscape mode and an OS X client.
A notation in Apple's latest Form 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission reveals the company has not recorded a $368 million court ruling that awarded VirnetX damages for patent infringement as a loss, and suggests a challenge to the decision is in the works.
As part of an ongoing response to the challenges enabled by in-app purchases, Apple has added a new section to the App Store explaining the ins and outs of app purchases.
A strange issue with Apple's iMessage service deletes certain words when they are used at the end of specific sentences, with two cases already found pertaining to the words "Obama" and "surprise".
Natural language processing startup Wavii confirmed on Friday that it has been acquired by Google, and some sources report that the search giant bought the startup from under Apple for more than $30 million.
A new poll of smartphone users reveals that loyalty to the iPhone is chipping away at Android's market share lead, and could lead to the iPhone overtaking Android in the U.S. in just a few years.
Apple will not be changing the behavior of its VPN On Demand services for some iOS devices, despite having lost a $368 million judgment to VirnetX.
Bidding is still open for a coffee break with Apple CEO Tim Cook, but it will cost interested parties at least a half-million dollars to get into the running [updated]
Driven by its profitable smartphone division, Samsung saw its net profit grow 42 percent year over year in the just-concluded March quarter, the company reported on Friday.
According to market research firm IDC, worldwide smartphone shipments outpaced those of feature phones for the first time ever during the first quarter of 2013, while Apple's iPhone saw its marketshare dip to below 20 percent.
Thursday, April 25, 2013
After selling out of tickets to its Worldwide Developers Conference in less than two minutes, Apple is reportedly calling a select number of developers with a chance to purchase.
It was announced on Thursday that Popular web page saving and syncing app Instapaper has been acquired by Betaworks, the same firm that purchased Digg in 2012.
- XCOM lands on Mac App Store, Lego Batman comes to iOS
- Leap Motion controller sales pushed back to July due to software issues [u]
- Windows 8 tablets grab 7% of shipments, Apple's iPad still controls nearly half
- Apple's first retail store in Berlin gets May 3 grand opening
- Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets
- Nokia teases unveiling of new Lumia Windows Phone at May 14 event
- Best Buy begins opening dedicated in-store Samsung Experience Shops
- Chinese court fines Apple $118K over e-book copyright violations
- Supply shortages delay Samsung Galaxy S4 launch at Sprint, T-Mobile
- Apple wants to use iPhone Bluetooth to locate, interact with cars
- Apple's map printing invention points to enhanced 'Maps' service
- Apple's updated Campus 2 plans add pedestrian walkways and bicycle paths
- iCloud push notifications may soon be restored in Germany after stay in Motorola trial
- Apple's MacBook Pro named 'Best Performing Windows Laptop' by IT company
- Microsoft to unveil Xbox successor on May 21 as Amazon mulls set-top box
- Apple giving away 150 WWDC tickets to up-and-coming student coders
- Apple's R&D expenses surge 33%, on pace to top $4 billion this year
- Apple CEO Tim Cook offering coffee date for charity auction
- AT&T activates 4.8M iPhones in March quarter, trails Verizon in customers added
- Wall Street disappointed by indications that Apple won't launch new products until fall
- Sprint sold 1.5M iPhones in March quarter, but lost 560,000 customers
- Apple celebrates 'A Decade of iTunes' with year-by-year milestones
- Apple to post all WWDC 2013 session videos online for registered developers
- Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013
- Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco
- Tweetbot's new 'media timeline' only displays tweets with photos and video
- Reviewers find Samsung's Galaxy S4 to be a solid performer, but not revolutionary
- Early reviews laud BlackBerry Q10's QWERTY keyboard and battery life
- Apple's iTunes Store ahead of 10th anniversary, store hits record $4B in revenues for Q2
- Tim Cook admits he wishes Apple had held launch of new iMac until 2013
- Cook on Apple's Chinese Q2: Our best China quarter ever
- Apple CEO hints bigger iPhone screen may come when 'trade-offs' can be avoided
- Apple's iPad, iPhone sales skyrocket as Mac and iPod falter
- Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2013 conference call
- Apple increases dividend by 15%, boosts capital return spending to $100B through 2015
- Apple beats on revenue but sees profits fall for first time in a decade
- Apple invention would allow for peripheral-based authentication, password recovery
- NPD: Apple's iTunes accounts for 67% of TV downloads, 65% of movies
- Fiscal 2013 predicted to become 'a year to forget' for Apple, higher hopes seen for 2014
- Logitech's iPad FabricSkin Folios feature slim, Surface-like cloth keyboards
- Apple's $15 settlement checks for iPhone 4 'antennagate' begin arriving
- Apple's iCloud services again hit by global outage
- Apple invention creates a secure device-to-device network with just a picture
- Apple's virtual input tool patent could bring next-level UI interactivity to OS X
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Tuesday, April 23, 2013