Apple has singled out Greater China—including mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan—as a primary growth center. AppleInsider took a trip to learn more, starting with a week exploring Taiwan followed by a week in Hong Kong.
Saturday, March 07, 2015
Skiers and snowboarders looking to listen to music and stay connected while on the mountain should check out the Chips Bluetooth headphones from Outdoor Tech, a well-designed and simple solution for adding wireless connectivity to your helmet.
Oracle Arena, home of the Golden State Warriors, became the second NBA venue to adopt Apple Pay on Friday, and Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue was on hand to explain how the service will work with Apple Watch.
Banks are instituting more stringent credit and debit card authorization policies for Apple Pay users after criminals took advantage of previously lax security protocols to provision new accounts using stolen card data.
Friday, March 06, 2015
The Apple Watch's battery life should be significantly better in the shipping product than some early accounts suggested, one report says, while the device itself could fundamentally change the way users interact with their iPhones.
Demand for the iPhone 6 continues to outstrip Apple's ability to keep up with supply, as a new survey from UBS has led the investment firm to increase its projected sales for the March quarter to a whopping 58 million units.
Apple is working on "significant" evolutions to the iPad in Education program that should solve some of the barriers schools encounter when trying to deploy iPads in the classroom, according to a new report.
Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper film 'Serena' hits Apple's iTunes Store 3 weeks before theaters [u]
Serena, a Susanne Bier movie starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, is now available for rent on the iTunes Store and Google Play — three weeks before the film is due to arrive in US theaters.
Amazon Game Studios has revealed plans to publish four more games for iOS, including two new titles — Lost Within and Til Morning's Light — along with two older ones, To-Fu Fury and Tales From Deep Space.
Apple's executive team is set to take the stage next week for the first time this year, with the spotlight shining squarely on the hotly-anticipated Apple Watch. AppleInsider takes a look at what we're likely to hear from Tim Cook & Co. on Monday.
With last year's iPad mini 3 upgrade largely viewed as a disappointment, sporting the same processor and form factor as its predecessor, a new report says Apple may be looking to soon rectify that with a fourth-generation model featuring upgraded internal specifications.
When Apple launches a rebranded Beats Music later this year, the streaming service may not have an ad-supported free tier, according to a new report, citing sources who allegedly spoke with Apple's Eddy Cue and Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine.
Component manufacturer Japan Display on Friday officially unveiled plans for a new $1.4 billion display plant in central Japan, with Apple reportedly investing in the facility to secure supplies of advanced LCD panels for its products.
A mass of 379 companies including Apple, Facebook, Google and Microsoft have filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court expressing their support for same-sex marriage, in advance of a landmark April hearing on the issue.
Continuing his evolution from behind-the-scenes design czar to company-fronting rock star, Apple's Jony Ive granted an interview to one of his hometown newspapers this week and revealed his reasons for joining Apple, touched on his friendship with Steve Jobs, and discussed the design of the Apple Watch.
Apple will be added to the Dow Jones Industrial Average later this month, a new major distinction on Wall Street for the world's most valuable company.
Momentum for the Apple Watch will likely take a short time to build driven mostly by apps, one analyst believes, with sales quickly escalating to 10 million units in the holiday 2015 shopping season.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's presence in China, Samsung Galaxy S6, mobile payment news, more
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available to download and subscribe in iTunes or SoundCloud, with detailed analysis of this week's news, including Editor Daniel Dilger's experience in Taiwan, we dissect the Samsung Galaxy S6 reveal, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and mobile payment news, plus final predictions for Apple's 'Spring Forward' event.
Apple has pushed back the expiration date of its iPhone 5 battery replacement program, which was originally scheduled to end on March 1, to provide owners of faulty equipment a full three years of component coverage.
Thursday, March 05, 2015
It appears Oracle is bringing its adware wiles to OS X with the latest version of Java for Mac, as the installer comes bundled with the Ask.com toolbar, which is deceptively set to install itself by default.
Apple reportedly granted developers from big-name companies monitored access to Apple Watch at its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., in hopes of building out a solid initial app offering when the device launches in April.
Apple Pay fraud stems from retailer data breaches, Apple Store purchases account for 80% of unauthorized buys
According to a report on Thursday, fraudsters are using credit card information gleaned from recent high-profile retail chain data to create Apple Pay accounts, while Apple Stores themselves account for 80 percent of unauthorized transactions.
A report on Thursday claims the upcoming Apple Watch boasts a mysterious data connection port, previously undisclosed by Apple, that is currently being used for diagnostics and testing.
A number of mobile executives who attended this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona are already projecting that the Apple Watch will dominate the smartwatch market when it launches in April, much as the iPad currently controls the tablet industry.
According to a report on Thursday, Apple's iAd division is looking to reinvigorate sales, and will soon allow third-party agencies to provide demographic targeting information to advertisers, including matching of phone numbers, emails and other data.
Sources in Apple's supply chain are particularly bullish about iPhone sales to start 2015, leading investment firm Barclays Capital to say that its forecast of 54 million units for the current quarter is a "conservative" estimate.
Several important updates have been released at the iOS App Store, bringing share sheet functions to Gmail, a Saved Places tab to Foursquare, and a complete redesign of Imgur's official iPhone app.
Apple on Thursday notified customers who have previously purchased its Aperture photography software that the application will soon be removed from the Mac App Store, and invited those users to try the new Photos app as part of the OS X 10.10.3 public beta.
Disney's new theme park-connected "Show Your Disney Side" app for iPhone lets users shoot a selfie and merge it with a famous character from one of the company's movies or attractions, such as Frozen, Star Tours, Pirates of the Caribbean, or the Haunted Mansion.
People wanting to buy an Apple Watch may be able to ask for a custom engraving, much as the company has allowed with products like the iPad and iPod before it, although the option may not be available in time for the product's launch.
Half a decade after Microsoft's last major update to Office for Mac, the venerable productivity suite returns anew with a Retina redesign, a modern codebase, and a host of new features — and it's available today as a public preview. AppleInsider was given early access to the new apps and brings you a close-up view of Redmond's latest.
The release of iOS 8.2 remains imminent, and could debut as soon as Apple's "Spring Forward" event next Monday, bringing a number of improvements to the iPhone's health app, along with the usual stability improvements and bug fixes.
Apple's upcoming 12.9-inch iPad — commonly referred to as the "iPad Pro" — will make use of an oxide LCD, most popularly known as Sharp's IGZO display technology, a new report from the company's supply chain claims.
If Apple is in fact building an electric vehicle, German automotive company Continental hopes it will have a chance to partner on the final product, the company's CEO publicly said.
Recent negotiations between Apple and BMW weren't connected to developing a car, a BMW spokesman has said, citing discussions between the two parties as part of "regular talks."
A U.S. patent application published on Thursday reveals Apple is actively researching ways to make its products resistant to moisture, a feature sometimes attributed to "active" smartphone models marketed by competing smartphone manufacturers.
While rumors surrounding Apple's purported 12-inch MacBook Air have died down amid Apple Watch hype, a new report on Wednesday claims partner manufacturers have already started mass production of the device in preparation of a second quarter launch.
Following reports that claimed Apple was forced to push back its production timeline for a larger 12.9-inch iPad, new rumors suggest the company is looking to incorporate USB 3.0 connectivity and possibly ports for keyboards and a mouse.
Apple has singled out Greater China—including mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan—as a primary growth center. AppleInsider took a trip to learn more, starting with a week exploring Taiwan.
Wednesday, March 04, 2015
- Judges skeptical Apple suffered irreparable harm from Samsung patent infringement
- Apple reportedly pushes production of 'iPad Pro' to September due to low display yields
- Apple in talks to become launch partner for cable-free HBO Now service
- Judge approves $415M settlement in 'no-poach' class-action case involving Apple, Google, others
- Yerba Buena Center getting 'Spring Forward' makeover for Monday's Apple Watch event
- Apple reverses iTunes Store changes to become more indie-label friendly
- Questionable screenshots claim to show updated 13" MacBook Air with 1.6GHz Intel Broadwell CPU
- Nvidia to take on Apple TV with Shield set-top box featuring Android TV
- 'iPhone 6s' said to ship with 2GB of RAM, Apple leaning toward including Apple SIM
- Apple reclaims top spot in movie product placement rankings
- Uber's first-ever public acquisition, maps firm deCarta, will lessen reliance on Apple, Google
- Apple Watch publicity tour comes to Chinese fashion magazine YOHO
- Google reportedly looking to bring Android Wear support to iOS
- Website builds interactive Apple Watch app previews with help from developers
- Apple discussing settlement with battery maker over alleged employee poaching
- Apple Watch wins prestigious iF Design Gold Award ahead of public debut
- Credit unions lead new round of 18 Apple Pay additions
- AT&T to ship LTE-enabled Modio iPad mini case on March 20
- New SSL/TLS flaw leaves Safari vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack, Apple promises fix
- BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
- Aerial footage shows off temporary building at site of Apple's March 9 event, likely Apple Watch demo area
- Apple to move away from security contractors, hire guards as full-time employees
- SXSW festival to use more than 1,000 Apple iBeacons for location-based alerts, meetups
- Costly supercar maker Koenigsegg joins list of Apple CarPlay backers
- Automakers in Geneva cautious, 'concerned' about 'disruptive interloper' Apple
- Billions in Google revenue could ride on Apple renewing iOS search deal
- Smartphone shipments topped 1.2 billion in 2014, Samsung's share plummeted in face of Apple gains
- Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support
- Apple's 'Shot on iPhone 6' campaign goes global with billboards, ad spaces
- Piper Jaffray pegs stainless steel Apple Watch price at $499, Edition at $4,999
- Apple, Google no-poach settlement reportedly on road to approval
- Upcoming Steve Jobs biography dives deep into Apple cofounder's life, features interviews with Tim Cook, Jony Ive, more
- Nissan, Daimler CEOs split on prospect of rumored Apple Car
- Google postpones iOS 8-style full-disk encryption of Android devices
- Apple Watch carried codename 'Gizmo,' former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch spearheaded software
- CarPlay, not an Apple Car, likely catalyst of Swiss trademark filing
- Banks 'scrambling' to combat Apple Pay identity fraud - report
- Apple releases public beta of OS X 10.10.3, gives the masses a first taste of new Photos app
- Race to beat Apple Pay picks up, as PayPal buys CurrentC-linked Paydiant
- Apple, IBM debut three new iOS apps for enterprise
- Killer Deal: Free LG optical drive, Free Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Pro headphones, and up to $350 off all BTO MacBook Pros with AppleCare
- Morgan Stanley raises Apple target to $160, citing strength as a 'platform company'
- Google unveils 'Android Pay' mobile payments API to rival Apple Pay
- Google to launch own 'Nexus'-like carrier network to push innovations in wireless
- Tim Cook discusses Steve Jobs, personal privacy, and Apple's role as a social leader
- Variety of Apple Watch stylings for men spotlighted in Hong Kong fashion magazine spread
- Apple supplier NXP to merge with rival Freescale Semiconductor in $11.8B deal
- Apple's next Chinese Apple Store to open in Chongqing on March 7
Tuesday, March 03, 2015
Monday, March 02, 2015