Google's ability to distribute new Android updates has always lagged far behind Apple's iOS, but the situation is even worse in China, where the "Lollipop" version 5.x, introduced in 2014 alongside iOS 8, has only reached about a fifth of all devices, two thirds the distribution it has achieved elsewhere.
Thursday, January 14, 2016
F.lux says it is 'original innovator' of nighttime display color tech, asks Apple to open Night Shift API
Developers behind popular screen brightness and color control software f.lux issued a formal statement in response to Apple's debut of "Night Shift" in the latest iOS 9.3 beta, calling on the tech giant to allow a proper version of f.lux into the iOS App Store and open API access to Night Shift's display management tools.
Hong Kong broker CLSA reports a continued "loyal following" for Apple in China, noting that half of smartphone buyers intend to buy from Apple, compared to slipping interest figures for Huawei, Samsung and Xiaomi.
The famous rivalry between tech titans Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, whose companies Apple and Microsoft together shaped the modern computing world, is the focus of an upcoming Broadway musical comedy called "Nerds," set to open in April.
The U.S. Transportation Department may waive some safety rules to make it easier for automakers to test self-driving vehicles, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx announced at a Thursday event in Detroit.
A measure coming up for voting by Apple shareholders asks Apple to explore options for achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions — for both its own operations and major suppliers — by 2030.
Apple on Thursday issued the first public betas of iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4, following up on developer betas released earlier in the week. [Updated]
U.S. Senator Al Franken has sent a letter to Google CEO Sundar Pichai, asking his company to describe what it's doing with the private data of students who use Chromebooks and/or Google Apps for Education.
Some Apple Music listeners are currently experiencing serious problems with the service, including not being able to stream anything at all, according to numerous grievances on Twitter. [Updated]
Samsung Display is reportedly planning to spend up to $7.47 billion on expanding manufacturing capacity with the long-term goal of producing flexible OLED panels for future iPhones.
Awards season continues to be kind to the stars of Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs biopic, as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences bestowed one nomination apiece on Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet for their roles in the film.
A buggy software update has caused many users of Nest's smart thermostat to wake up in the cold in recent days, as the devices have been found to quickly drain their batteries and shut down, leaving heating and cooling systems offline.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the world's largest chip fab and a manufacturer of Apple's A9 chips used in iPhone 6s models, has posted earnings that beat analysts estimates for the quarter and established the company's highest annual earnings in 29 years.
Addressing what some would call a drawback of modern computer design, Apple has developed a system that provides users plug alignment assistance for hard to reach ports normally located in the rear of desktop enclosures.
Apple Watch launched with a total of six swappable band styles, but a patent application published Thursday suggests Apple is investigating a successor model with magnetic closure that doubles as a protective encasement and stand when not on the wrist.
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
It was a bleak day for action cam maker GoPro, as the company said it planned to axe about 7 percent of its workforce on lower than expected fourth quarter sales, an announcement that sent shares tumbling.
With its latest iOS 9.3 beta, Apple is for the first time allowing users to access and control display temperature on their iPhones and iPads, albeit in limited fashion, through a feature called Night Shift.
During last night's widely televised State of the Union address, California Representative Nancy Pelosi appeared on camera just in time to receive a notification on her Apple Watch and respond to it with a touch.
A bill up for consideration by the New York state assembly would force Apple and other smartphone makers to ensure their products can be decrypted for the sake of law enforcement.
Just a few months after the platform launched, folders are already coming to tvOS, in the form of an upcoming 2.2 update that will make it easier for Apple TV owners to organize their apps.
Nearly six years after its debut, Apple is reportedly planning to take a much less active role in its in-house iAd advertising platform, as it intends to hand over ad management duties — and revenue — to publishers in the near future.
Apple's newly released tvOS 9.2 beta for the fourth-generation Apple TV has revamped the platform's app switcher, bringing visual consistency with iPhones and iPads running iOS 9.
Performance benchmark vendor Antutu presented iPhone 6s as the best performing smartphone of the year, despite being compared against high end Androids with more RAM and faster CPU clocks driving four times as many cores.
Microsoft on Wednesday updated Office 2016 for Mac, adding not just bugfixes but new features for all of the apps in the suite, such as Outlook and PowerPoint.
The White House will reportedly announce efforts to speed up the development of self-driving cars on Thursday, something that may be of extreme interest to Apple as it readies its own such vehicle.
The next-generation Apple Watch could go into trial production with Quanta later this month, paving the way for a launch in the not-too-distant future, according to rumors.
Apple is paying close attention to the possibility of Time Warner — or parts of it — going up for sale, potentially with the intent of buying assets to help launch a streaming TV service, according to rumors.
Apple was awarded 1,938 U.S. patents in 2015, placing it No. 11 overall in newly earned inventions, according to the latest intellectual property rankings published on Wednesday.
A long-running legal battle between music producer Pharrell and a group of former business associates has recently expanded to include OTHERtone, a show the artist hosts on Apple's Beats 1 streaming network.
We polled our AppleInsider audience to vote for their favorite email application for the Mac. The winner is Airmail, with Outlook coming in as a close second.
Deals: Apple's 15" MacBook Pros with free AppleCare, free Canon AirPrint Printer, and up to $90 in cash discounts
Readers shopping for a current 15" MacBook Pro this month can not only grab free AppleCare protection plans and a free Canon PIXMA AirPrint-ready printer, but additional cash discounts of up to $90 with free shipping and no tax in 48 states. What's more, this deal is now instant and no longer requires a mail-in-rebate.
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
As expected, Apple CEO Tim Cook urged White House and government officials to come to terms with strong encryption practices that protect consumer data, at one point saying such intentions should be stated publicly.
Apple subsidiary FileMaker on Tuesday announced the FileMaker iOS App SDK, a set of coding tools that offer developers the means to build native iPhone and iPad apps.
China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has released data showing a significant drop in Android's share of smartphone sales in the December quarter, leaving a 33 percent gain for non-Android smartphones, a segment dominated by Apple's iPhone.
In statistics shared with developers on Monday, Apple revealed distribution of the latest iOS 9 mobile operating system now stands at 75 percent, a number up 5 percent since the last check in November.
Skype users will soon be able to make free group video calls from mobile devices like iPhones, iPods, and iPads, just as they can on Macs, PCs, and Xboxes, the Microsoft-owned company announced on Tuesday.
The latest statistics from market research firm Gartner show Apple as the lone top-five PC vendor that grew worldwide shipments from 2014, bucking an negative market trend that saw shipments decline for the fourth consecutive year.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch upgraded Apple stock from "Neutral" to "Buy" on Tuesday, with an analyst at the firm suggesting that any worries about channel or supply chain checks are already factored into share prices.
The Apple Watch was far and away the most popular smartwatch during 2015, accounting for about 51.5 percent of shipments, or 8.8 million units, according to a Jupiter Research estimate.
- VLC comes to Apple TV with wide format support, 'Remote Playback' feature
- Microsoft rep pans iPad Pro, says Apple's tablet is 'always going to be a companion device'
- watchOS 2.2 features new quick links for Apple Maps in Glances view
- China's iPhone-clone Xiaomi defending its valuation after missing sales targets
- Twitter brings Periscope video streams into iOS users' timelines
- Safari gets developer-focused tune-up in iOS 9.3, OS X 10.11.4
- Inside iOS 9.3: 'Auto Switch' lets you use multiple Apple Watches with one iPhone
- Apple to help build AU Optronics into AMOLED supplier for future iPhones, rumors claim
- Inside iOS 9.3: Apple's native apps gain new 3D Touch shortcuts on iPhone 6s
- Piper Jaffray lowers March iPhone estimates to 55M, sees return to growth in fall 2016
- App Analytics data now available for tvOS apps
- Apple to open new Paris flagship store, offices in Champs-Elysees building
- Apple's electric car project an 'open secret,' says Elon Musk
- Apple denies plans to build iOS-to-Android migration tool
- Apple publishes first comprehensive list of CarPlay-compatible vehicles
- tvOS 9.2 beta 1 adds support for app folders, Bluetooth keyboards
- Apple adds night mode, secure notes, more in iOS 9.3
- iOS 9.3 for iPad adds multi-user support for students, new Classroom app
- iOS 9.3 & watchOS 2.2 betas add ability to pair multiple Apple Watches with an iPhone
- Apple issues first betas for iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, watchOS 2.2 and El Capitan 10.11.4
- EU ruling against Belgian corporate tax breaks may set precedent for decision on Apple
- AT&T revives unlimited data plans for DirecTV & U-verse TV subscribers
- Aaron Sorkin & Kate Winslet pick up Golden Globes for roles in Steve Jobs biopic
- Apple working on iOS-to-Android migration tool - report
- Brean Capital maintains $170 target for Apple stock, sees 'material upside' to iPhone in 2016
- Apple's new 4-inch handset rumored to be named 'iPhone 5e,' sport A8 CPU & 1GB RAM
- Deals: Free Apple Super Drive and the lowest prices anywhere on all 13" MacBook Airs with AppleCare
- Apple has been undercounting Apple News traffic due to glitch, working on fix
- Two new Chinese Apple Stores set to open in Nanjing & Guangzhou on Jan. 16
- Apple Music reportedly reaches 10 million paid subscribers in 6 months
- Apple's competition is going to have a tough year in 2016: part 2
- Apple's competition is going to have a tough year in 2016
- This week on AppleInsider: 'iPhone 7' rumors, iPhone 6s production cuts, stock market troubles & more
Monday, January 11, 2016
Sunday, January 10, 2016
Saturday, January 09, 2016