AppleInsider this week took a crack at reviewing not one but two major new Apple products, while the rumor cycle again turned to the long-term with possible details of iOS and iPhone upgrades, the Apple Car, and live content plans.
Saturday, November 07, 2015
ExclusiveFree Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
For the next 9 days, AI readers can take advantage of a pair of exclusive deals that deliver a free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with Apple's early-2015 13 MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. Plus free shipping and no sales tax in 48 states.
Friday, November 06, 2015
Apple's iPhone was again the top smartphone in the U.S. market for the third quarter of 2015, according to analytics firm comScore, but Korean company LG was the only manufacturer to enjoy sequential gains.
Best of Apple Cyber Monday: MacBooks from $729, Apple Watch from $299 (+ free $50 Gift Card), Unlocked 128GB iPad minis 2 for $409, free Apple TVs and more
Cyber Monday has arrived and with it, the lowest prices of the year on 12" MacBooks, up to $700 off MacBook Pros, up to $400 off unlocked 128GB iPad mini 2 and 3s, $80 off iPad mini 4s, $30-$100 off iPad Air 2s, $25 off iPad Pros, $50-$100 off Apple Watches with a free $50 B&H Gift Card, deep discounts on portable & external hard drives, as well as HomeKit accessories.
Friday, November 06, 2015
In newly released footage of Eddy Cue's recent interview with CNNMoney, the Apple exec offered a few more details about the company's vision for the living room, specifically discussing the role apps will play in freeing consumers from traditional viewing habits.
After Sam's Club spilled the beans on Apple's iPad Pro release date earlier on Friday, authorized reseller MacMall is now showing preorder availability for the big-screen slate expected to ship on Nov. 13, complete with early-bird discounts.
In a thank you to photographers whose pictures were used as part of Apple's "Shot on iPhone 6" ad campaign, the company is sending out special coffee table books containing a page-by-page collection of selected works and their respective installations around the world.
Google on Friday announced plans to bolster its Google Photos team with the purchase of Fly Labs, developers behind four iOS apps for making quick video edits on the go.
A mysterious electric car maker called Faraday Future — backed by large resources — could be a front for Apple, a report speculated on Friday.
Apple added a new Shopping category to the iOS App Store on Friday to collect mobile banking, marketplace and coupon apps — including those that accept Apple Pay — in one easy to browse location.
In an effort to best last year's holiday deals, AI one of Apple's authorized resellers are teaming up to offer Free AppleCare, a Free Apple SuperDrive, and cash discounts on a handful of Late-2015 15" MacBook Pros (including both key retail configurations), or a Free Apple Super Drive and up to 80% off AppleCare with the remainder of the 15" MacBook Pro lineup.
Facebook-owned Instagram is reportedly testing ads that exploit two of Apple's most recent technologies, 3D Touch and Apple Pay, as part of a broader effort to reap more cash from the photo-sharing service. [Updated with Instagram denial]
Apple's jumbo-sized iPad Pro is set to launch in one week, on next Friday, Nov. 13, according to retail chain Sam's Club, which has begun accepting preorders on its website.
iPad 2 was still the most commonly-used iPad in October, despite the numerous other models shipped since 2011, according to a study published on Friday by analytics firm Localytics.
With a compatible gaming controller, the new fourth-generation Apple TV can be used just like a traditional game console, powering on and navigating across the entire tvOS platform. Here's how it works.
On this week's all-new AppleInsider podcast, Neil, Mikey, and Victor discuss the new Apple TV. Neil talks about the latest "iPhone 7" rumors, Mikey reviews the 21.5-inch iMac, and we tackle listener questions.
Apple Watch hit store shelves in India on Friday with 40 different size, model and strap combinations available to consumers starting at 30,900 rupees (about $470), a huge premium over identical versions sold elsewhere.
Thursday, November 05, 2015
Google has plans for series of chips it wants to co-develop with hardware partners to help standardize Android and make it more computationally competitive with Apple. However, the effort is considered a long shot by people in the chip industry.
A number of iPhone and iPad owners are reporting Touch ID fingerprint recognition and stability issues after updating to the latest version of iOS 9, problems similar to those that cropped up in iOS 8.
Adding fuel to the Apple Car rumor bonfire, Apple this summer hired an automotive engineer with vast experience in the electric vehicle industry, and who most recently worked at a company called Reviver, self-proclaimed creators of the world's first "digital license plate."
A new adware scourge injecting itself into popular apps such as Facebook and Twitter is also "virtually impossible to uninstall," requiring infected users to replace their phones. Because it only affects users of Google's open-store Android app model, the device replacement requirement may accelerate the trend of users switching to iOS.
According to a new estimate by research firm Canalys, Apple has sold nearly 7 million Apple Watch units since the product launched in late April, blowing past competing smartwatch products from the likes of Pebble, Samsung and Motorola.
For its 2016 iPhone models, Apple is reportedly placing LCD driver orders with Synpatics because of delays with in-house work on merging touch and display components.
The second beta for Apple's next maintenance and software update for its OS X 10.11 El Capitan operating system is now available to members of the company's public beta program.
Facebook on Thursday inaugurated "Music Stories," a new kind of post format allowing people to listen to previews of songs or albums from various music services without having to switch apps.
Third-party apps continue to adds support for Apple's 3D Touch input on the new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, including updates that launched on Thursday for popular apps Flickr and Mobile Mouse Remote.
While they last, one of Apple's authorized resellers is blowing out its remaining inventory of all Early-2014 11- & 13-inch MacBook Airs, as well as a few Mid-2014 13- & 15-inch MacBook Pros, with instant discounts ranging from $139 to $700 per model and no tax in 48 states.
Sony's Vue subscription TV service, which is available on the company's PlayStation game consoles as well as Apple's iPad, will gain access to Disney-owned channels including live sports from ESPN, it was announced on Thursday.
Members of the Walgreens loyalty program can now use their Balance Rewards card with Apple Pay, enabling tap-to-pay capabilities on both iPhone and Apple Watch.
Apple has quietly opened up its first subsidiary in Vietnam, a move which should allow direct sales to a burgeoning market, a report said on Thursday.
The latest advertisement for the Apple Music subscription service showcases pre-show preparations by country artist Kenny Chesney, including a trip to the gym tracked by his Apple Watch.
Wednesday, November 04, 2015
On November 12, Apple will pay shareholders of record a quarterly dividend of $0.52 per share, but investors must have settled ownership of the company's stock by Thursday November 5 in order to qualify.
Developer Steve Troughton-Smith continues to find interesting nuggets of info in Apple's tvOS that hint at future Apple TV capabilities, and on Wednesday discovered a way to bring app folder support to the new operating system.
Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue made a surprise appearance at the Dropbox Open event on Wednesday, where he touted Apple's efforts in enterprise and showed off the new Dropbox Paper app for iPad Pro.
Continuing the build out of its all new tvOS App Store, Apple on Wednesday added a "Categories" section to the online marketplace's top navigation bar for a more streamlined app browsing experience.
Apple is working with the city of San Jose on a development agreement for a campus on the north side of town, which if authorized could be larger than Cupertino's Campus 2 at 4.15 million square feet, a report said on Wednesday.
Though Apple has used the month of September to introduce new iPhones for four straight years, that could change in 2016 with an earlier than expected debut for the "iPhone 7," a source has told AppleInsider.
The difference between encryption and security on iOS and Android isn't just a technical issue but a "digital security divide," according to the principal technologist for the American Civil Liberties Union. That's because Apple secures its devices while Google leaves Android open to data collection and surveillance.
Members of Apple's public beta program were issued a second pre-release build of iOS 9.2 on Wednesday, giving users the ability to test AT&T's forthcoming NumberSync technology for receiving phone calls across devices.
- Microsoft opens sign-ups for testing Cortana assistant app on iOS
- Apple Watch raises awareness of wearables as Pebble doubles its sales, CEO says
- Steve Jobs considered an 'Apple Car' in 2008, iPod creator remembers
- Apple's iOS 9 now installed on two out of three compatible devices
- Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' expected to pack 3GB of RAM into 'A10' CPU in late 2016
- Apple to launch new metal 4-inch iPhone with A9 CPU in 2016, insider says
- Apple wins motion to transfer second Core Wireless patent lawsuit to California
- Apple and failed sapphire supplier GT Advanced reach agreement to settle $439M debt
- Google finds serious flaws in Android code Samsung added to Galaxy S6 Edge
- Team claims $1 million bounty for remotely jailbreaking iOS 9.1 & 9.2
- Steve Jobs promoted opportunities for women at Apple, NeXT
- Time Warner Cable to trial TV packages for Internet-only subscribers
- Apple issues second betas of iOS 9.2, OS X 10.11.2 to developers
- First developer beta of tvOS 9.1 for Apple TV now available
- Microsoft makes across-the-board downgrades to OneDrive storage options, ditches unlimited tiers
- Simplify Apple TV app & content purchases with a 4-digit passcode, or disable password entry entirely
- Apple Pay gains 54 more US card issuers ahead of Canadian, Australian launches
- Review: Apple's 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display is great, but skip the slow HDD model
- Fitbit posts strong third-quarter revenue, says Apple Watch had no 'material impact'
- Alleged hiring freeze at Pegatron prompts more doom-and-gloom speculation about Apple
- Apple patents switch-less Force Touch keyboard for Mac
- Apple, Amazon, Google, others join forces in finance technology lobby
- Activision to buy 'Candy Crush' developer King Digital for $5.9B
- Apple activates Top Charts section for Apple TV, games dominate paid downloads
- Killer Deals: Free AppleCare with each of Apple's new iMac 4Ks and iMac 5Ks
- Review: Fourth-gen Apple TV with Siri Remote and tvOS App Store
- Apple's iPhone 6s, 6s Plus win Anandtech's "Editors Choice Gold" award
- Plex app turns 4th-gen Apple TV into personal media server
- Potential reference to new Mac Pro found in OS X El Capitan code
- Personal Pickup coming soon to international Apple Stores, report says
- Apple hiring manager for original & live content linked to Apple Music, iTunes
- How to quickly switch and force-close apps with the fourth-gen Apple TV
- T-Mobile gives away free 4G LTE CellSpot to Simple Choice subscribers
- Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to speak at Bloomberg Year Ahead Summit next week
- Facebook forces some workers to switch from iPhone to Android to reflect majority of users & new markets
- Games dominate paid downloads in Apple TV App Store's first weekend
- T-Mobile, Sprint poised to pick up subscribers from Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program
- Apple pushes Maps Indoor service to venue owners, limited to high-traffic spots
- The Guardian trots out notorious Mike Daisey to speculate about how Apple could be doomed
Tuesday, November 03, 2015
Monday, November 02, 2015