Advertisers are reportedly upset with the restrictions Apple has placed on formats for iOS 9's News app — as well as the barriers campaigns must pass for approval.
Monday, September 14, 2015
Sunday, September 13, 2015
The popular narrative that Steve Jobs was removed from Apple by board fiat after losing a war for control with then-CEO John Sculley is not entirely accurate, according to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.
As expected, Apple appears to have bumped the available RAM in its latest handsets from 1 to 2 gigabytes while doubling that for the new jumbo iPad Pro, the numbers seemingly confirmed by a clever application of Xcode's iOS simulator.
Since Apple announced its industry-leading earnings for fiscal Q3 on July 21, the company's stock price collapsed by about a third, encouraging facile analysts to predict further losses. In reality, Apple shares are being bought up at a massive discount by the company itself, in a clear bet on future appreciation.
Saturday, September 12, 2015
Demand for Apple's new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus appears strong — especially for rose gold models — with shipping times quickly jumping as high as 4 to 6 weeks and some countries selling out less than a day after they went on sale.
Apple has been selling its Apple TV as long as iPhone, but the set top box has neither sold in similar quantities nor earned even a significant fraction as much money for the company. While neither of those facts are likely to change, the new 2015 Apple TV is poised to radically change the TV and game console industries.
There was of course one overriding theme this week: Apple's Sept. 9 press event, where it unveiled new iPhones, the iPad Pro, and a fourth-generation Apple TV. There was far more to unpack than just those devices, however.
As promised, Apple and its partner wireless carriers opened iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus preorders a minute after midnight on Saturday through their respective online storefronts, though Apple.com saw initial troubles.
A video posted to YouTube on Friday claims to show the first unboxing of Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV set-top box with included Siri Remote, a device not due out until October.
Friday, September 11, 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook is scheduled to appear on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert next week, the talk show host announced, marking yet another upcoming public appearance for the active executive.
Apple's online storefront, now integrated into product pages, went down just before 6 p.m. Pacific as the company prepares for what is expected to be an onslaught of iPhone 6s preorders.
Two iPhone 6s features revealed this week, always-on "Hey Siri" voice monitoring and pre-buffered Live Photo camera functionality, raised concerns that Apple might be surreptitiously monitoring users, but the company allayed those fears in a statement on Friday.
Ahead of an official launch of its next-generation iOS, OS X and watchOS operating systems, Apple on Friday announced it is now accepting submissions for apps compatible with each platform's features.
The Chinese Ministry of Finance announced this week that Apple paid out 452 million yuan ($71 million) in back taxes and was slapped with a 65 million yuan fine for understating sales in 2013.
Apple latest "s" iPhone revamp—as it has every odd-numbered year since 2009's iPhone 3Gs—introduces a variety of significant changes under the hood without the device being readily discernibly different on the outside. iPhone 6s is faster, takes better pictures (including animated Live Photos), and delivers a deep new "3D Touch" interaction layer.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Apple design chief Jony Ive revealed the company reached out to Hermes over a potential Apple Watch partnership before the device was unveiled last year, a project ultimately undertaken by the French luxury brand's artistic director Pierre-Alexis Dumas.
Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will go up for preorders in just a few hours, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, or 3:01 a.m. Eastern. To help, AppleInsider has compiled a checklist so you can snag your phone of choice on launch day.
Starting with next week's launch of iOS 9, users will be prompted to speak a series of commands once enabling "Hey Siri," making the intelligent personal assistant more adept at understanding a person's unique voice.
The announcement of the new reversible USB-C port, and its subsequent embrace by Apple in the 12-inch MacBook, led to speculation that the Lightning connector could be on the way out. But the company signaled otherwise this week, when it made Lightning a key component of the new Apple Pencil, as well as the Apple TV's Siri Remote.
Apple is said to have partnered with a Russian data center to host iCloud data for users in that country, responding to a new law that went into effect on Sept. 1.
Support for Apple Pay is expanding in the United Kingdom, with a trio of new banks going online with Apple's tap-to-pay service on Friday: Lloyds Bank, Halifax, and Bank of Scotland.
Apple's biggest week of the year gets analyzed on the latest AppleInsider podcast, as Mikey and Neil share their thoughts on the newly announced iPhone 6s with 3D Touch, the revamped Apple TV, and the jumbo-sized iPad Pro and its new smart accessories.
Thursday, September 10, 2015
Apple new big screen iPad Pro has been anticipated for some time, and bears some similarities to existing products on the market. However, Apple's implementation of a large tablet—along with its new "Apple Pencil" for precision drawing input—incorporate a series of unique features, too.
In a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Thursday, Apple announced a new two-billion euro debt offering (about $2.26 billion) as it continues to take advantage of historically low interest rates.
The Wall Street Journal on Thursday announced that Apple CEO Tim Cook will return as a guest speaker at the publication's WSJ.D Live conference in October, an event that promises engaging discussions from top tech luminaries.
Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are now officially on sale, but buyers still need to decide what to do with their old device. As in years past, AppleInsider takes a look at nearly a dozen big-name buyback services and retailers looking to attract your iPhone trade-ins [updated Oct. 6 with the latest values].
Thursday, September 10, 2015
Geely, one of the largest auto manufacturers in China, announced on Thursday that it has inked a deal with Apple to integrate CarPlay into an upcoming compact SUV model, making it the first Chinese automaker to support the infotainment system.
The Apple Watch will soon be available through the U.S. incarnation of T-Mobile, as well as German electronics chains Gravis and Compustore, according to separate reports and announcements.
Apple brought depth to its user interfaces with Force Touch, and Wednesday's launch of the iPhone 6s added another layer in the form of 3D Touch. AppleInsider looks at how it works and what you can do with it.
Apple on Thursday released the first public beta of iOS 9.1, allowing the public to get an early peek at features like expanded Unicode support.
Inside the new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus is an upgraded M9 motion coprocessor that borrows new fitness capabilities from the Apple Watch, by estimating your walking or running pace.
The iPad Pro uses a new storage controller that improves read and write speeds, with performance more comparable to desktop PCs, according to marketing on Apple's website.
While more than one rumor predicted that Apple would add a front-facing flash to its newest iPhone — an increasingly common feature among high-end handsets — nobody considered that the company would do so in a way that alleviated the need to build in extra hardware, despite evidence that Apple has been exploring such a solution for years.
As a part of sweeping changes to its product lineup, Apple has also restructed the prices and tiers for iCloud storage upgrades, making the service more competitive with alternatives like Google Drive.
While it lacks the fanfare of new hardware or software, one of the biggest announcements from Apple this week was its competitive iPhone Upgrade Program. It's actually an interest-free way to pay off your new iPhone and AppleCare+ warranty over a two-year period, with the added option to upgrade your iPhone to the latest model every year.
Apple's new iPad Pro may have 4 gigabytes of RAM, the most ever for an iOS device, Adobe inadvertently revealed in a press release, which has since been edited to remove the claim.
Despite sporting a more powerful processor and other new technologies, the iPhone 6s will actually use a smaller battery than the one found in the iPhone 6, apparently squeezing out the same amount of uptime with new efficiencies in the handset.
In a pair of updates to its website on Wednesday, Apple revealed new, more expensive AppleCare+ rates for the soon-to-launch iPhone 6s and 6s Plus handsets, as well as a preparation guide and preorder tool for those looking to pick up one of the new models this weekend.
A rumor out of the Far East on Thursday claims Apple suppliers in Taiwan started producing next-generation 21.5-inch iMacs with 4K Retina displays early this month ahead of a rumored release date in November.
Wednesday, September 09, 2015
- AppleInsider podcast talks Apple's "Hey Siri" event from show floor
- Apple issues OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM Candidate to developers and public beta testers
- First look: Apple's iPhone 6s, iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, Apple TV & more
- New iPhones' 3D Touch a complicated effort that took 'multi, multi, multi' years, Apple says
- Apple's iPad Pro Smart Connector open to accessory makers, Logitech Create keyboard coming in Nov.
- New Apple TV uses USB-C for service, ditches optical audio out port
- Discover cards to support Apple Pay on Sept. 16 with 10% cash-back offer
- New Apple TV supports console-style MFi game controllers, Apple outs new SteelSeries Nimbus
- Apple axes gold color, 128GB options for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models
- Apple seeds first iOS 9.1 beta to developers, adds new taco, burrito & unicorn emojis
- Siri on Apple TV will be restricted to just 8 of 80 launch countries, apps limited to 200MB
- Apple posts new iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, Apple TV and Apple Watch videos
- Apple releases iOS 9 GM to developers ahead of Sept. 16 release
- Apple unveils annual iPhone Upgrade Program, updates standard iPhone price structures
- Apple announces $199 iPhone 6s & $299 6s Plus with 3D Touch, A9 CPU, rose gold color, coming Sept. 25
- Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search
- Apple announces new iPad mini 4 with iPad Air 2 internals
- Apple unveils $799 12.9" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil accessories
- Apple announces new Apple Watch Sport colors, accessories, Hermes partnership; watchOS 2 to ship Sept. 16
- Live coverage from Apple's 'Hey Siri' event in San Francisco
- iTunes Connect makes reference to 'tvOS,' new name for Apple TV interface
- Can't stream today's event? Install the AppleInsider app and get Apple news as it breaks
- On PlayStation's 20th anniversary, Sony says 'game on' to Apple in spoof of today's event
- 6 Hours Left: $140 off 12" MacBooks plus $200 in freebees, up to $420 off 2015 MacBook Pros & iMac 5Ks with free AppleCare, 1TB drive & printer
- Purported (Product) RED sport band for Apple Watch leaks on Twitter
- Apple hints at major App Store announcements ahead of iPhone event
- What we expect from today's Apple event: new iPhones, a revamped Apple TV, next-gen OS updates, more
- Apple won't host traditional October event this year, 'iPad Pro' expected today - report
- Apple TV's 'Apple Events' channel updated ahead of iPhone announcement
- Twitter for iOS update brings iPhone experience to iPad with responsive design
- Verizon to begin testing 5G wireless network in 2016
- Apple's iPhone 6s to feature always-on 'Hey Siri' functionality, source says
- Review: 'Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine'
- Gazelle sees iPhone trade-in offers double into iPhone 6s event, raises cash payouts for Verizon models
- Study: Apple Watch holds 97% satisfaction rating, used mostly for fitness & timekeeping
- Adblock Browser comes to iOS, promises to strip ads, tracking cookies from Web
- iPhone 6 most popular iPhone model, adopted faster than iPhone 5s, analytics firm says
- Court dismisses Beats false advertising lawsuit against Steven Lamar
- Periscope live video viewing app in development for next-gen Apple TV - report
- Rumor: Chinese, Japanese launches of 'iPhone 6s' may wait until Sept. 25
- Alleged 'iPhone 6s' boxes claim to show new rose gold color, 16GB entry-level storage
- New Apple TV with App Store game downloads predicted to drive 24M sales in 2016
- Apple's Tim Cook, Jony Ive slip to fourth on Vanity Fair 'New Establishment' list
- Apple Music Festival headliners rounded out with Mumford & Sons, Carrie Underwood and Ellie Goulding
Tuesday, September 08, 2015