A report on Friday claims Jawbone is officially exiting the consumer wearables space, seemingly confirming rumors that the audio accessory maker turned fitness tracking firm will instead focus on high-margin health products sold to clinicians.
Friday, February 03, 2017
Japanese gaming giant Nintendo's second mobile effort, Fire Emblem Heroes, raked in $2.9 million in worldwide gross revenue after just 24 hours on sale, according to statistics released on Friday.
With Valentine's Day less than two weeks away, we're rounding up the best deals on the hottest gifts for that special someone on your shopping list. From coupon discounts on MacBook Pro laptops to instant savings on iPhone 7 accessories, there are gift ideas for every budget.
Smartphone producers will have to advise the South Korean government of incidents where devices explode or catch fire as immediately as possible, according to new safety regulations expected to be announced in the country next week.
Alphabet's Google on Friday confirmed a deal to sell off its satellite mapping business, Terra Bella, to Planet Labs — which despite earlier speculation is unlikely to affect Google Maps or by extension its main competition, Apple Maps.
ExclusiveiMac Deals: Save $170 to $370 on 27-inch iMac 5K & 21.5-inch iMac 4K desktops with AppleCare plus no tax outside NY & NJ
In the market for a new iMac? Readers this week can save $170 to $370 on current-generation 27-inch iMac 5Ks (Late 2015) paired with AppleCare extended protection plans. Or take $170 to $270 off 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks bundled with AppleCare. Apple's 21" iMac HD line is also up to $170 off with our exclusive coupon — all with free shipping and no tax collected outside NY and NJ.
Japan's beleaguered Sharp, a regular Apple LCD supplier, generated its first quarterly net profits in two years during the December quarter — its first under the management of Apple's main assembly partner, Foxconn.
On Friday, Apple rolled out a Pro Apps bundle for educators and students, giving purchasers of the $199 bundle download codes from the Mac App Store for Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3.
Apple has declined a second invitation to a meeting with a finance committee in Ireland over the European Commission's $14 billion tax ruling, while Irish Finance Minister Michael Noonan has accused the regulator of making a politically motivated decision.
The University of Glasgow will award Apple CEO Tim Cook next Wednesday with an honorary doctorate of science, as well as host a "fireside chat" open to students, staff, and alumni, the Scottish institution announced on Friday.
In a bid to encourage new connections between users and keep them engaged with the social network, Facebook is now gradually rolling out a "Discover People" feature across its apps for iOS and Android.
Snap Inc, the company behind the Snapchat iOS app, is preparing an initial public offering which it hopes can raise $3 billion, with the Securities and Exchange Commission filing identifying Apple and its iMessage platform as one of its main competitors.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $415 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $415 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Looking to generate more money for its shareholder return program without repatriating foreign cash, Apple has completed a sale of $10 billion in bonds, with underwriters including Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, and others.
New batch of LG UltraFine 5K displays will have enhanced RF shielding, may not completely fix the problem [u]
After delving into the cause of wi-fi router interference, LG has redesigned the shielding on future production batches of the Thunderbolt 3 UltraFine 5K display — but not only may this not directly address other user's connectivity complaints, how existing monitor owners will get the problem fixed is not yet clear.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk through Apple's earnings call, Wall Street raising price targets, and what it's (probably) like to use HomeKit at Tim Cook's house.
Thursday, February 02, 2017
A class-action lawsuit filed in California on Thursday alleges Apple schemed to force iPhone users to upgrade to iOS 7 in a bid to save money on a data services deal with Akamai, a move that rendered older hardware like iPhone 4 and 4S unusable.
Indian IT minister welcomes Apple proposal to build iPhone in Bengaluru, suggests production starts soon
Continuing the political shell game that is Apple manufacturing in India, a local IT minister issued a statement on Thursday welcoming the company's proposal to manufacture iPhone hardware in Bengaluru.
Apple's issues with the LG Ultrafine 5K Display may reach further than problems associated with nearby Wi-Fi routers, as users are now reporting worrying hardware troubles unrelated to networking hardware.
Apple's long-delayed BeatsX earbuds, one of the first to feature the company's new W1 wireless chip, may finally be on the verge of shipping, according to a website monitoring activity at online stores worldwide.
The 13 billion euros ($14 billion) Apple is requested to pay Ireland as part a European Commission ruling over tax is likely to be an accurate figure, with the Irish finance minister advising the amount calculated by government officials is in a similar ballpark to the Commission's number.
Apple on Thursday confirmed the hiring of Steve Savoca, once in charge of Spotify's label relations, as it looks to equip Apple Music and/or iTunes with a more competitive catalog.
Hacker uncovers files suggesting Cellebrite used codes from jailbreak tools to defeat iPhone security
Cellebrite, the digital forensics company believed to have helped the FBI break the security of the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone, may have repurposed other existing cracking tools used for jailbreaking iPhones, according to a new cache of files allegedly sourced from the security firm.
On Thursday the Newseum — a museum and advocacy group based in Washington, D.C. — named Apple CEO Tim Cook the winner of its 2017 Free Expression Award in the Free Speech category, praising the executive for his company's communications technology as well as his stances on social and political issues.
The iPhone's record-setting average selling price (ASP) achieved last quarter continues an upward trend in iPhone pricing, led by growing popularity for Apple's premium-priced, more-fully-featured "Plus" models.
Ahead of next week's Chicago Auto Show, Subaru on Thursday announced the 2018 Legacy, just its second vehicle to support Apple's CarPlay platform, which brings Siri and iOS apps to dash interfaces.
Hands Free, a pilot app from Google that let customers perform mobile payments in stores without needing to present their iPhone or Android smartphone at the checkout, will shut down next month after almost a year of testing.
While differing on some key figures, global tablet industry statistics published on Thursday suggest that the Apple's iPad still has a firm lead as the most popular option, even if the company and the industry as a whole are losing sales.
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook gave a rare glimpse into his personal life this week, when he spelled out how he uses HomeKit-connected smart accessories in his own home. AppleInsider offers a guide to how you, too, can live like a millionaire tech CEO.
Google has updated the YouTube app for Apple's iPhone and iPad with easier access to playback controls, particularly when casting videos to TVs, Chromecasts, set-tops, and other devices.
The latest update to the Chrome browser on iOS is providing iPhone users with the ability to scan and search QR codes using 3D Touch, while those browsing on the iPad will benefit from a redesigned tab switcher.
As promised, Nintendo on Thursday released "Fire Emblem: Heroes," the first game in the "Fire Emblem" series to make the leap from dedicated consoles and handhelds to the iPhone and iPad.
Dialog Semiconductor and Energous have launched a new wireless charging component that is cheaper and takes up less space than previous iterations, a part that could help Apple incorporate over-the-air power in a future iPhone or iPad.
Apple, IBM, United Airlines banding together for better staff iPhone, Apple Watch integration at airports
The initiative between the three companies will assist United Airlines to develop apps for better communication, regulate peak customer demands better, and assist in more effective maintenance for over 50,000 devices already deployed, and more to come.
Apple's planned deployment of Apple Pay in Taiwan is "coming soon," according to an update on the company's website, with seven banks planned as initial launch partners.
While third-party companies have promised — but not delivered — an Apple Watch band capable of charging the device while it's being worn, Apple in a patent application on Thursday details a wearable battery module that juices Watch up via inductive power transmission.
Wednesday, February 01, 2017
Apple is among a cadre of companies drafting a formal letter in opposition of President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration, which was signed last week as part of a series of sweeping policy decisions introduced by the new administration.
For the fourth time in less than two weeks, Apple CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday sold off a batch of company stock worth just under $5 million, continuing a series of transactions in accordance with a trading plan adopted in 2015.
Apple will more than double the space of its popular Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan as part of ongoing renovations at the site, with the company promising "new services and experiences" once the outlet reopens.
- Estimate pegs holiday Apple Watch sales at 5.2M, giving Apple a 63% marketshare
- First look: Theater Mode in Apple's watchOS 3.2 beta
- Jury asks Oculus to pay ZeniMax $500M in lawsuit over VR headsets
- Apple developing ARM chip for Mac to handle low-power functionality
- See how Apple's 'Services' revenue has grown steadily amid changes in other business segments
- Alphabet's Waymo sharpens self-driving car tech, expands testing lead over rivals like Apple
- Snapchat looks to extend iPhone app's Lenses feature to locations
- 10 years after Apple axed 'Computer' from its name, Tesla tosses 'Motors'
- Analysts raise Apple targets, see shares going as high as $156 after best-quarter ever
- GoPro puts iPhone-connected Karma drone back on sale after fixing power loss issues
- Participating companies shed light on Apple's secretive 'Mobility Partner Program'
- Killer Deals: 15" MacBook Pro for $1,399; DJI Inspire 1 Pro drone for $2,799; $800 off DJI Inspire 1 Raw
- Apple's Q1 iPhone numbers knock Samsung out of first place in global marketshare
- Following Mario's mobile success, Nintendo plans to release 2-3 new iPhone games each year
- Apple pushes AirPods firmware 3.5.1 to synchronized iPhones with minor bug fixes
- Apple Pay transactions up 500 percent in Q1, Comcast to support bill payments soon
- Huawei hires 'I'm a Mac' pitchman to take on Apple in US ad blitz
- Apple weighing legal action against Trump immigration ban, to match employee donations to refugee relief funds
- Prince songs expected to hit Apple Music, other streaming services on Grammy's night
- Facebook reportedly developing video app for Apple TV
- Cook calls Apple's $1B litigation against Qualcomm a 'last resort'
- Apple sees light at end of tunnel in China as revenues stabilize on constant currency basis
- Apple Watch sales set new 'record' during holidays, but no numbers revealed
- Apple still acquires 15-20 companies per year, Cook says no size is too large to consider
- Tim Cook: Repatriation of $231B in overseas cash would be 'very good for the country and good for Apple'
- Apple iPad decline continues with 19 percent drop in holiday quarter
- Apple's iPhone hits ASP of $695 in record-setting fiscal Q1
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q1 2017 conference call
- Driven by its App Stores, Apple's 'Services' business explodes with $7.17 billion in revenue
- Apple smashes expectations: record setting $78.4B in revenue on sales of 78.3M iPhones
- Pandora joins Apple Music in contributing to Hot 100 & other Billboard charts
- Plex acquires Watchup, plans to integrate personalized news service into media player
- Google open-sources Chrome browser for Apple's iOS, promises faster development
- European Commission pleased with Apple's $14 billion tax bill payment progress, despite missed deadline
- New vulnerability exploits password recovery system on Netgear routers & modems
- Scosche USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter provides HDMI, USB-A, pass-through power for MacBook
- Deals: $325-$600 off 15" MacBook Pros; $40 off iPad mini 4; DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo $1,299 (tax included)
- iOS 10.3 beta reveals Apple will cut off 32-bit support in 'future versions of iOS'
- Earnings preview: Wall Street expects record $77.4B revenue in Apple's best quarter in history
- Apple reportedly nears completion of second retail store in Cologne, Germany
- Nintendo reveals high unlock rate for 'Super Mario Run,' delays 'Animal Crossing' for iPhone
- Lyft for iPhone adds Calendar destinations, surges on App Store following 'DeleteUber' campaign
- Super Mario Run update for iPhone brings easy mode, Korean language support
- Apple patents detail augmented reality device with advanced object recognition, POI labeling
- Last Call! Got a new Mac? Save up to 25% on standalone AppleCare plans with no tax in 48 states
- 'BioShock' for iOS is officially dead, developer 2K reveals
- Apple ceases iOS 10.2 code signing following iOS 10.2.1 release
- North Carolina requires test takers disable MacBook Pro Touch Bar for bar exam [u]
- Dropbox releases office suite Paper out of beta, launches Smart Sync
- Apple updates Siri on iOS, Mac & Apple TV with Super Bowl-related commands
- Removal of Apple's iCloud Activation Lock check page may be linked to hacks relying on stolen serial numbers
- Three UK enables Wi-Fi calling for iPhones without use of inTouch app
- Square promises $350 in waived fees to boost Apple Pay adoption
- LG UltraFine 5K Display possibly affected by interference from nearby wi-fi router
- Apple makes watchOS 3.2 beta with Theater Mode, SiriKit available for developers
- Trump administration's work visa plans could shake up recruiting at Apple, other US tech firms
- Starbucks voice recognition 'barista' beta starts on iPhone, prior to wide summer rollout
- Apple 'Shot on iPhone' ad campaign continues with 'One Night on iPhone 7'
- Deals: 27" iMac 5K for $1,299; 13" MacBook Air for $899; $100 off Mac mini; 500GB G-Drive for $40
- Fitbit to cut $200M in jobs & expenses after encroaching Apple Watch sales cut into market
- Apple pulling apps from developers located in Iran from the iOS App Store
- New Apple Campus 2 'spaceship' construction project 4K drone flyover shows progress on landscaping, canopies
- OLED for 'iPhone X' could deal $50M hit to Apple's Q2 expenses, analyst says
- Apple Maps gets Houston transit data ahead of Super Bowl LI
- Hands On: Redesigned Evernote 8.0.3 for iPhone and iPad brings major design revamp
- Five of the best apps for getting started with creating art on the iPad
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Monday, January 30, 2017
Sunday, January 29, 2017