Microsoft is sending out email alerts to OneDrive customers, warning people with free 15-gigabyte accounts that their storage will shrink to 5 gigabytes on August 10, assuming they didn't previously opt into keeping the higher amount.
Friday, May 06, 2016
With iPhone sales in India up 56 percent year over year, Apple is showing significant progress in the rapidly developing nation, where Chief Executive Tim Cook hopes to find continued success going forward, thanks to the country's massive young population.
As part of a new initiative to enhance customer engagement, California-based clothing company True Religion has begun outfitting its retail store employees with the Apple Watch, including integration with iBeacons.
Despite a number of leaks suggesting Apple's next-generation "iPhone 7" might feature a Smart Connector on the back side of its chassis, a new report claims that the company ultimately opted not to include the feature in its final design.
Apple CEO Tim Cook will be one of several speakers appearing later this month at Startup Fest Europe, an event in Amsterdam intended to spur the growh of startup businesses.
Apple's struggles with social networking continue, as its mostly-ignored artist Connect feature is said to be set for a "demotion" in the upcoming revamp of Apple Music in iOS 10.
Streaming became Warner Music Group's biggest revenue source in the first quarter of 2016, driven largely by services like Spotify and Apple Music, the company revealed in its latest financial results.
Apple CEO Tim Cook is reportedly flying to Beijing later this month to meet with senior Chinese government officials — including, unusually, officials in charge of propaganda.
Apple processor supplier TSMC is starting to tape out the design for an "A11" chip that could go into small-scale production as soon the second quarter of 2017, in preparation for that year's iPhones, a report said on Friday.
Starting today, students enrolled in an eligible college or university will today be able to subscribe to Apple Music at a discounted price, as Apple is offering half off the standard subscription rate for its streaming music service.
This Memorial Day weekend, save up to $300 on popular 13" and 15" MacBook Pros when you pair instant discounts with exclusive coupons. Or snap up a 2015 12" MacBook for only $964 with 3 free accessories, free shipping and no sales tax in most states.
Friday, May 06, 2016
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, we discuss Apple's stock, the 'iPhone 7' and rumors of the headphone jack reappearing, a patent for a possible 'Apple Pencil 2', smart voice assistants, Fitbit's performance, and more.
Thursday, May 05, 2016
Apple, Google parent company Alphabet and a number of established car makers are reportedly on the hunt for prime real estate in the San Francisco Bay Area to serve their respective autonomous vehicle projects, with Apple in particular said to be looking at an 800,000-square-foot plot.
Another recent Apple hire has been linked to the company's rumored "Project Titan" automotive initiative, as a report on Thursday uncovered a Google patent application for electric vehicle charging systems co-invented by current Apple employee Kurt Adelberger.
Immersion Corporation, a leader in haptic feedback technology, expanded its legal battle against Apple on Thursday with a new patent infringement suit targeting technology built into iPhone 6s and various MacBook models.
Apple CEO Tim Cook's latest charity auction closed on Thursday, with the winning bid raising$515,000 for the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights.
Netflix on Thursday released an important update to its iOS app, enabling more control over streaming on cellular networks, as well as extending the use of 3D Touch gestures.
At launch, the overwhelming majority of Apple Watch buyers were men. But in the year since it debuted, women have begun to close the gap and embrace Apple's new wearable platform, new research shows.
Apple and enterprise software firm SAP on Thursday announced a partnership that will see the creation of a new SDK, allowing the latter company's clients and developers to produce iOS apps exploiting the SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
Cupertino mayor accuses Apple, responsible for nearly 20% of the city's tax revenue, of not paying enough [u]
The city of Cupertino, Calif. — which is economically dependent on Apple — is reportedly embroiled in a conflict over how it should fund the transport infrastructure needed to deal with congestion created by the company, as well as other businesses in the area.
In what could be described as a somewhat surprising move given the company's proclivity for indecision, Microsoft on Thursday announced that it would stick to the plan it announced last year and begin charging for Windows upgrades this summer.
Apple will continue challenging a recent ruling on the use of the "iPhone" trademark in China, taking the case to the country's Supreme People's Court, the company said in a Thursday press statement.
Apple on Thursday launched an "Accessibility" section on its online store, making it somewhat easier for the disabled or their caretakers to find equipment for use with Mac and iOS devices.
An iPhone 5S being held as evidence in the investigation of a 2014 murder has reportedly been unlocked by the Los Angeles Police Department, though the timing of the crime suggests that the phone in question may not have been protected by encryption.
The iOS and Mac App Stores are failing to show important apps in search results, or are even showing iPhone apps in iPad-only search results, according to complaints seen on Twitter and received by AppleInsider. [Updated x2]
Wednesday, May 04, 2016
After years of development, Siri co-creators and former Apple employees Dag Kittlaus and Adam Cheyer are ready to demonstrate "Viv," an advanced virtual assistant that could reinvent the way consumers interact with their devices.
Apple, others urge presidential candidates to support Trans-Pacific Partnership, address government snooping
Apple and a cadre of Silicon Valley heavyweights have plans to issue a nonpartisan letter urging the next U.S. president to back the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement, a policy that would make hiring foreign workers a low friction process.
Apple in an announcement Wednesday reminded developers of an upcoming change to App Store policy that requires all iOS apps include support for IPv6-only networking.
A new survey of prospective smartphone owners signals customers are more excited to see what Apple has in store for this year's "iPhone 7" than they were last year's iPhone 6s unveiling, though early interest for the 2016 upgrade is still behind hype for the iPhone 6 two years ago.
Though best known for user-uploaded videos, Google's YouTube is nevertheless planning to launch a live TV subscription service dubbed "Unplugged," a report said on Wednesday.
Twitter released an important update to its official Mac client on Wednesday, finally bringing the software's features closer to par with iOS and the Web.
Apple is said to be working on a vast overhaul of its up-and-coming music streaming service, one that will reportedly include a new monochromatic user interface and a streamlined experience for users who prefer to read lyrics.
Just two days after the first rumors surfaced, Hulu on Wednesday confirmed that it will be launching a live TV streaming service sometime in 2017, creating a tougher competitive landscape for anything Apple might have planned.
Department store chain Kohl's on Wednesday announced that Apple Pay users can now pay with a Kohl's Charge card and earn Yes2You Rewards points at the same, making it the first Apple Pay retailer to combine store card payments and rewards in a single-tap transaction.
Despite devices like the Apple Watch nominally being able to do more, dedicated fitness bands are vastly outselling other wearables in the U.S., according to a research report published on Wednesday.
Infamous hedge fund manager David Einhorn, who has previously butted heads with Apple, remains bullish on the iPhone maker despite its recent market plunge, giving the company a vote of confidence during a recent conference call.
'Intentional' culture clash between Apple, Beats causes friction, aims to 'create something groundbreaking'
The $3 billion acquisition of Beats sparked a culture clash between the headphone maker and Apple, but the conflict was apparently an intentional attempt to shake things up in Apple's music business, according to a new report.
A year after its debut, Apple's $10-per-month music streaming service is reportedly set for a major overhaul at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, including a shakeup to its user interface aimed at making it easier to use.
Tuesday, May 03, 2016
TIME Magazine named Apple's iPhone the most influential gadget of all time in a list published Tuesday, which included a variety of tech products from the likes of Sony, IBM, HP and other big-name players.
- Tim Cook talks Apple ethos, government issues, role models and more
- Jony Ive explains Apple's interest in wearables, design philosophy at Met Gala 2016
- Apple hires Google X lab cofounder, former Nest head of technology to work on health projects
- Judge overturns Brazilian WhatsApp shutdown in continuing fight over encrypted data
- Apple loses exclusive rights to 'iPhone' trademark for non-smartphone products in China
- Apple revenue from China forecast to fall 15% this year due to marketwide smartphone slowdown
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 9.3.2, OS X 10.11.5 to developers, public testers [u]
- Apple Pay picks up over 20 more US banks including Texas' Moody National
- Fiat Chrysler, Google partnering on self-driving prototypes based on Pacifica minivan
- Killer Deals: Apple's 12" MacBooks for $999, 13" MacBook Airs for $839
- Dish Network ventures from satellite TV to iPhone repair with new fixit service
- Apple Pay gets support for prepaid cards with Boon - only in the UK
- Indian government turns down Apple request to import used iPhones for sale, report says
- Apple reportedly increases iPhone SE chip orders amid greater-than-expected demand
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' cable suggests Apple could include 3.5mm headphone jack after all
- Apple patent hints next-gen Apple Pencil to sport swappable nibs, Touch ID, 'eraser' & more
- Fitbit CEO says Apple Watch 'wrong way' to approach wearables
- Apple stock posts longest losing streak in 18 years
- Apple CEO Tim Cook calls doom and gloom 'huge overreaction,' turns sights to India
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear on CNBC's 'Mad Money' Monday night
- Brazilian judge orders WhatsApp blocked for 72 hours over encryption row
- Apple's Mac reaches 9.2% share on the web as Windows PC use sinks to new low
- Coach to make 9 bands for Apple Watch for $150 each, may not ship until this fall
- Apple's Jony Ive previews The Met's 'Manus x Machina'
- Apple Maps adds public transit directions for Rio de Janeiro in prep for 2016 Summer Olympics
- Watch: Apple's 2016 MacBook vs. 2015 MacBook in speed test comparison
- Hulu could beat Apple to the punch with live TV subscription service
- FBI should disclose iPhone vulnerability to Apple, Edward Snowden says
- Los Angeles court orders woman to unlock Touch ID-equipped iPhone for FBI
- Latest 'Shot on iPhone' ad uses Mother's Day to get emotional impact
- Apple, Samsung, Facebook, Amazon & the case of the 'very bad' Q2
Monday, May 02, 2016
Sunday, May 01, 2016