Billed as the worldâs most energy efficient desktop, the new Mac mini is said to be faster, offer more storage and come standard with double the memory.
Starting at $599, the entry level Mac mini features a faster 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, a 160GB hard drive, five USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 800, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics and a SuperDrive.
The $799 Mac mini features a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of memory and a larger 320GB hard drive.
The new $999 Mac mini is specially configured with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server. It features two 500GB hard drives for a total of 1TB of server storage in the tiny 6.5-inch square by 2-inch tall Mac mini enclosure.
The new Mac minis meet the new, more stringent Energy Star 5.0 requirements and achieve EPEAT Gold status. It uses PVC-free internal components and cables, contain no brominated flame retardants, use highly recyclable materials, and feature material-efficient system and packaging designs.
AppleInsider reported on a new Mac mini server edition almost one year ago. The new hardware was apparently delayed some time before Tuesday's launch.
The new Mac mini has the following features:
Processor and memory
- 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
- 1066MHz frontside bus
- 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
- One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
- Five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Graphics and video support
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
- Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
- Mini-DVI port
- DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)
- VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
- Mini DisplayPort output
- Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless 802.11n networking4; IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible Bluetooth
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
- Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
- Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)
- Built-in speaker
- Mac mini with OS X Snow Leopard Server includes two 500GB hard drives.
- The consumer Mac mini offers one 160GB, 320GB, or 500GB serial ATA hard drives.
- The consumer also comes with a slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVDÂ±R DL/DVDÂ±RW/CD-RW): Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 6x speed, writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed, writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed, writes DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed, Slot-load optical drive reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 24x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed