A HomeKit installation needs an always-on hub to allow you to control your compatible appliances from outside the home — AppleInsider shows you how to configure the Apple TV to act as the hub of the system.
Assuming that you've got all your pre-requisites complete, setting up your Apple TV for HomeKit remote management couldn't be easier. But, its sometimes the easiest things that trip up the setup.
First: Turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
Crucially, turn off two-step verification, if its on.
Then, turn on Two-factor Authentication.
On your Mac:
- In System Preferences, open up iCloud
- Select "Account Details"
- Click "Security"
- Click "Turn on Two-Factor Authentication"
Or on an iOS device:
- Open Settings
- Tap on your iCloud account
- Tap on "Password and Security"
- Tap "Turn on Two-Factor Authentication"
Regardless of which device you configure it on...
- Turn on the iCloud Keychain
On the Apple TV
- Open "Settings"
- Open "Accounts," and make sure that you're signed into the same iCloud account
- The Apple TV automatically sets itself up as a HomeKit hub!