AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
We review the new Apple Silicon M1 13-inch MacBook Pro, discuss the new HomePod mini, review the many design changes in macOS Big Sur, and cover Apple's new small business program.
There are some app compatibility issues that may causes issues for early adopters, but we take a deep dive into the specific benefits of M1 over previous Intel-based Macs. You already know these new Macs are fast, and have long battery life, but here's what that really means — and how it really feels — in regular day to day use.
Then the new HomePod mini landed in stores this week and we try out its sound quality and HomeKit hub features. While it doesn't have the same sound stage or volume as the larger HomePod, the new U1 chip inside the HomePod mini does make a big difference when it comes to handing off audio from an iPhone.
There's also macOS Big Sur which has been publicly available for one week. Teething problems aside, this is a giant visual change for the Mac and some of the skeuomorphic icon design can be divisive.
Finally, Apple has announced its App Store Small Business program that reduces the commission rate for developers who earn under $1 million annually to just 15%. AppleInsider spoke with developers who told us what the impact is really going to be.
We'd love to interact with you on Twitter. If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @wgallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .
Don't forget to subscribe and listen to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything else HomeKit related! Subscribe in Apple podcasts or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- Apple Silicon M1 13-inch MacBook Pro review - Unprecedented power and battery for the money
- M1 benchmarks prove Apple Silicon outclasses nearly all current Intel Mac chips
- M1 Macs deliver Apple's first support for USB4
- Spending time with HomePod mini and why we're already hooked
- HomePod mini power cable is not removable, teardown reveals
- 1Password update for macOS Big Sur brings new Apple Watch unlock feature
- Stephen's Twitter thread on macOS Big Sur
- App Store graphic revives wild speculation about touchscreen Mac
- Bartender 4 - Take control of your Menu bar
- How to use the new Safari Start Page in macOS 11 Big Sur
- William's Wallpaper
- Developers delighted at Apple's reduced App Store commission
- Apple announces App Store Small Business Program
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]