Music recognition app Shazam has passed another milestone, with Apple saying that its Control Center option alone being used in excess of a billion times on iOS.
Apple-owned Shazam passed one billion songs being recognized every month in June 2021, but now it has had that many through Control Center. It was first added to Control Center as part of a beta iOS 14.2 in September 2020.
Shazam users have the choice of launching the app, asking Siri what song is playing, or adding a control to Control Center. Once a user has gone through Settings, Control Center, and added Shazam, it is available with a single swipe down, and tap.
However, that's still a series of steps most users may not know to do, or bother to do. So passing a billion songs recognized via this Control Center option alone, is significant.
Reportedly, the top ten most Shazamed songs identified via the Control Center, from most to least popular are:
- "Talking To The Moon" by Bruno Mars
- "Astronaut In The Ocean" by Masked Wolf
- "MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)" by Lil Nas X
- "Beggin" by Maneskin
- "Another Love" by Tom Odell
- "Runaway" by AURORA
- "Dick" by StarBoi3 Feat. Doja Cat
- "Arcade" by Duncan Laurence
- "Stay" by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber
- "drivers license" by Olivia Rodrigo
Shazam was originally released in 2002. It was bought by Apple in 2018, reportedly for $400 million.