Gmail for iOS updated with new look, Kindle app expands X-Ray featureGoogle on Tuesday released a major update to its Gmail iOS app, with a new look and several new features headlined by multiple-account support. Amazon also rolled out a new version of its Kindle app, which sports deeper integration of its touted X-Ray feature.
In a post on Googles Official Gmail Blog, Product Manager Matthew Izatt said his team began rebuilding the Gmail for iOS application six months ago. The goal was to create what he called a "faster, sleeker, and easier experience on iOS."
The result is Gmail 2.0, which hit the App Store on Tuesday. The new version comes with a design overhaul that bears more than a passing resemblance to Sparrow, the Apple-oriented email client acquired by Google in July.
The applications leo adds support for multiple accounts, enabling users to add up to five Gmail addresses. The full list of features included in the updated application are:
- Multiple account support
- App redesigned with a new, cleaner look
- Search predictions as you type
- Infinite scrolling inbox
- Respond to Google Calendar invites inline
- Interactive Google+ posts support
- New welcome experience
Amazon also unveiled a significant update Tuesday for its popular Kindle for iOS. Amazon's competitor to Apple's iBooks has added deeper integration of its X-Ray for Books technology, which was previously exclusive to textbooks. Now, with version 3.5, it has been extended to all books.
X-Ray allows readers to explore "the bones of a book" that is, tapping on pages will produce more information about "notable characters, places and phrases."
The Kindle 3.5 update also includes improvements to Manga images.
On Topic: iPhone
- First video of functional Lightning EarPods hits the web
- Apple's iPhone falls from 3rd to 5th in China smartphone marketshare
- Hyundai adds Apple CarPlay to 2017 Sonata & Tucson
- Secure WhatsApp found to not be completely eradicating chat transcripts
- Nest app updates with Thermostat control from Apple Watch, expanded camera options