This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about Apple's fiscal third-quarter 2017 earnings call, plus all the information that's hidden in the HomePod firmware.
AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- Apple Services was the star of the earnings call, at double the revenue Google makes.
- Mac unit sales are up slightly year over year, in a landscape where PC sales and revenue are down.
- Don't call it a comeback: The iPad is on the rebound.
- It doesn't look like there will be a dip in revenue ahead of the fall product launches.
- iPhone rumors: HomePod firmware leaks show an icon for the new iPhone - bezel-less with cameras at the top center.
- A split status bar.
- Tap to Wake.
- A 5.15" display area with 2436x1125 resolution - in addition to a separate "function area" screen below that.
- Facial detection and facial expression detection.
- HomePod will have 1GB RAM, may run apps (eventually).
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Microsoft website reveals Touch Cover keyboard for Apple's iPad
- Apple's MacBook Pro, iMac sales beat all industry estimates, defeat contracting market
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q3 2017 conference call
- Latest HomePod firmware leak indicates skiing workouts coming to Apple Watch
- New user interface sounds unique to Apple's HomePod pulled out of released firmware
- HomePod firmware points to 'iPhone 8' split status bar, tap to wake, embedded Touch ID in question
- Further Apple HomePod firmware spelunking shows 1GB of RAM, 272x340 screen
- HomePod firmware digging affirms 'iPhone 8' will have 5.15" display area with 2436x1125 resolution
- Former Google exec Vic Gundotra praises Apple iPhone 7 Plus camera, says Android photography years behind
- New concept art shows how Apple may adapt iOS 11 to 'iPhone 8' display notch
- Estimates peg Apple Watch at third place in wearables with 2.8M units in June quarter
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.