This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk conflicting rumors around the "iPhone 8" ship date, the company's rising stock price, and some of the interesting things happening in HomeKit.
AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- "iPhone 8" -- is it in production now, shipping September, in production in September AND shipping in September, or shipping in November or later? Conflicting reports all within the same few days.
- Still no clarity on what's going on with the back of the phone. One report says it's still not decided.
- HomePod firmware suggests the "iPhone 8" facial recognition features will have hooks into Apple Pay, multiple biometric authentication, and be open to third parties.
- There's a report that suggests that the phone can recognize when its owner is looking at it and silence notifications accordingly. If you're looking at it, you don't need it to play noise.
- Colors could include a copper device. We have seen physical mockups shown, as well as video.
- The separate function area display in the rumored device appears to be resizable, but it doesn't look like third party developers will be able to hide it except for video playing.
- Ikea Tradfi lightbulbs updated to enable HomeKit via firmware update. This is the first time this has happened. Chamberlain releases their HomeKit compatible MyQ HomeBridge, which is a separate product instead of an upgrade to an existing one. If you want a HomeKit garage door opener, you need MyQ Garage from last year AND MyQ HomeBridge.
- Apple's share price reaches $160, beating previous high point.
- How Apple's R&D spend compares to other large tech companies. The comparisons aren't perfect, but it appears that Apple spends less on R&D and gets more for the money, if you think about it in terms of R&D spend versus revenue.
- 25 percent of Microsoft Surface owners report problems with Surface after 2 years of use. Consumer Reports surveyed 90,741 people and found that 22,685 reported reliability problems.
- 'Apple Watch 3' is rumored to get LTE connectivity. Some people think this is a non-starter, we see it as a leap forward for the watch.
- 'Apple Watch 3' is also rumored to get a new form factor. Victor thinks this is a good thing that will go a long way to prevent confusion about which model the consumer has.
- Review: Neil talks about the Kanex GoPlay Sidekick portable iOS game controller
- Review: Victor talks about his experiences with the Kwikset Premis HomeKit deadbolt
- Unreal Engine updated to support ARKit. The key phrase this week is, "laying the groundwork for the future"
- Victor's first experiences with Wireless CarPlay and the Alpine ILX-107 (which we last saw at CES in January).
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Check this out: if you've been waiting to buy a MacBook Pro 15", this is your single best chance. They're sold out elsewhere, and B&H is offering them with 700 off. Killer Deal: Apple's high-end 15" MacBook Pro for $2,099 ($700 off) with free JBL headphones ($80 value) and no tax in 48 states
- 'iPhone 8' reveal delayed to November, according to South Korean supply chain sources
- New report says Apple's 'iPhone 8' already in mass production, despite recent claims
- 'iPhone 8' to enter mass production in mid-Sept., launch alongside 'iPhone 7s,' come in 3 colors
- New dummy unit of Apple's 'iPhone 8' shows off alleged gold/copper color
- 'iPhone 8' & 'iPhone 7s' mockups with glass backs appear as speculation about product names grows
- Videos of 'iPhone 8' and 'iPhone 7s Plus' mockups hit web, suggest leaks originate from single source
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' facial recognition tech might support Apple Pay, third-party apps, 'multi' biometrics
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' may silence notification sounds when users are paying attention
- Code suggests 'iPhone 8' virtual home button area resizable, can be hidden
- Though Apple's R&D spending is massive, it's still more efficient than all other competitors
- Shares of Apple close at all-time high of $160.08, blowing past previous record
- 25% of Microsoft Surface owners report problems within 2 years, Consumer Reports finds
- Apple HomeKit added to Ikea Tradfri smart bulb line with firmware update
- Chamberlain ships MyQ HomeKit Bridge, bringing Siri control to its garage door openers
- Apple to launch cellular connected Apple Watch later this year, report says
- 'Apple Watch Series 3' rumored to boast all-new form factor [u]
- First look: Kanex GoPlay Sidekick pocketable MFi gaming controller recharges via Apple's Lightning cable
- Review: Kwikset Premis HomeKit lock chews through batteries, disappoints
- Unreal Engine updated with preliminary support for Apple's ARKit in iOS 11
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at email@example.com.