This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about next week's announcement of the 'iPhone 8', Apple Watch, OLED technology, and Victor interviews iZotope's Product Manager, Colin Thurmond, about their new Spire Studio recording hardware.
Come back and listen on the Sept. 12, when we will have exclusive coverage from the Steve Jobs Theater and Apple Park with AppleInsider's own Dan Dilger!
Until then, in our latest episode, AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- Killer deals! Save up to $600 off a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, or $800 off the top configuration.
- The new iPhone is coming! We think Apple will allow orders to begin on Sept. 15.
- There are some alleged SIM trays showing black, gold, and silver as possibly the only colors for the new phone.
- Samsung is the sole supplier of OLED for Apple, which puts Apple in a pinch for meeting demand for the phone.
- LG for their part is unlikely to start supplying until 2019. Victor and Neil agree their current effort, the display on the VG30 (Victor mistakenly said V3) is not acceptable.
- Listener feedback: A listener had feedback on how OLED should be pronounced, and Neil and Victor discuss both pronunciations. There's no real consensus on which way is right: Samsung say 'Oh-ell-ee-dee' and LG say 'Oh-led'. Do you like Liam Neeson? Liam Neeson pronounces OLED, 'Oh-Led.' That's right.
- Apple could use the sleep/wake button as the Siri button, in a phone with no home button. Do we need a physical button to prompt Siri?
- Victor interviews iZotope's product manager, Colin Thurmond, about their new Spire Studio portable audio recorder product. We recorded this segment using the Spire Studio, so the sound quality you're hearing is what it captured. The only modification to the audio was raising the gain to match the rest of the show. No other audio retouching was performed. (If we were to do it again, we might get a little closer to the mic. For a first use of an unfamiliar product, it's impressive.)
- Rumor: A photo shows shipping pallets with boxes said to contain iPhones destined for the U.S.
- Rumor: Some people think the supposed "iPhone 7s" gets renamed to "iPhone 8," leaving the new form-factor phone name up in the air.
- The name's Cook. Tim Cook. Apple is reported to be in the running to purchase rights to James Bond film franchise. We'll see if it comes true, but Apple needs to do something more than "Carpool Karaoke," no matter how much you might like Jamie Corden.
- Apple's fitness lab has clocked over 66,000 hours of performance testing, larger than any other study on Earth. This is one of the things that makes Victor excited about Apple Watch and things like CareKit.
- PSA: Zello, used by the 'Cajun Navy' to coordinate rescue in Houston following Hurricane Harvey is a good app, but it still requires working cell towers and internet to Zello's servers.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Check this out: First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $600-800 on late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. In addition to the promo code and instant cash savings, sales tax will not be collected on orders shipped outside NY and NJ. Lowest Price Ever: Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar for $1,799 ($600 off) with no tax in 48 states and Deals: High-end 2016 15" MacBook Pro for $2,299 ($800 off); 27" iMac 5K w/ Radeon 580 for $2,099 ($200 off); $200 off top of the line 13" Touch Bar are the links you need to know.
- Apple expected to begin preorders of new iPhone releases on Friday, Sept. 15
- Alleged SIM trays for Apple's 'iPhone 8' hint at gold, silver & black as only colors
- Samsung is sole supplier of costly 'iPhone 8' OLED, putting Apple in 'urgent need' of alternatives
- LG unlikely to enter iPhone OLED supply chain before 2019
- Spire Studio does an amazing job of simplifying recording audio. Colin Thurmond takes the time to demonstrate its features and talk to us about what problems they were trying to solve with it, and why it could be an essential tool for musicians and podcasters. Sign up for early access to all the product information on Spire Studio.
- iZotope Spire Studio portable multi-track recorder exclusive to iPhone, iPad
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' may allow triggering Siri by holding sleep/wake button
- Rumor: Photos show Foxconn shipping pallets of 'iPhone 8' units to Apple in USA
- Rumors rename 'iPhone 7s' to 'iPhone 8,' leaving moniker for Apple's $1000+ OLED model up for debate
- Apple allegedly making big push for $5 billion James Bond 007 movie franchise rights
- Apple's Watch-oriented fitness lab tops 66,000 hours of data, 10,000 subjects
- PSA: Zello app for iPhone is not an actual walkie-talkie, still needs internet connectivity to work
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at email@example.com.