This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about 2018 iPhones, what's rumoured for next year from Apple, and iOS 11.2's surprise release. Victor also talks with Katie Stephens, founder of MakeCrate, about how to encourage interest in engineering.
In our latest episode, AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- AirPods could be a huge hit in 2018. This doesn't come as a surprise to Neil, who is still a little anxious about AirPods falling from his ears.
- Katie Stephens, founder of MakeCrate.club, joins us to talk about encouraging future engineers and making Arduino-powered engineering kits for ages 11 and up.
- LG is hinting at their being a supplier for 2018 iPhone with OLED displays
- We talk about forthcoming hardware, including the iMac Pro model number. We're running out of 2017 for Apple to still make the release date they had announced.
- There's a rumor that Apple could use a metal frame for the rumored LCD 2018 iPhone. Neil and Victor don't think very much of this rumor.
- iOS 11.2 was released in a bit of a rush over the weekend- it had release notes indicating ApplePay Cash would be present, but it wasn't until Tuesday that Apple Pay Cash actually turned up. We talk about why this was necessary, and go into a little detail about how Apple Pay Cash works.
- Catcher, an Apple partner, appears to be working on a project that could be an AR headset. Separately, Quanta, an Apple partner, is making lenses for Lumus, an Israeli AR company. Watch this space.
- Amazon Prime Video comes to Apple TV 3rd, 4th generations, and 4K devices. It's good, but we notice there are some interesting things about it. It's got some bugs, and some unusual behaviors for an Apple TV app - it feels very much like it Amazon are making one build for all platforms, rather than having one build process, building for multiple device targets. That is, this app doesn't just imitate the app that runs on consoles and other devices, it IS the same app with separate UI code.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- We interview Katie Stephens, founder of MakeCrate
- Apple's AirPods a smash hit, shipments could reach 28M in 2018
- LG Display hints at deal to begin making OLED panels for Apple's iPhone X
- Apple's iMac Pro model number pegged as 'A1862' ahead of expected Dec. launch
- Apple might use metal case for 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in 2018, report says
- Apple pushes out iOS 11.2 with Apple Pay Cash, 7.5-watt wireless charging, date bug fix
- How to set up and use Apple Pay Cash in iOS 11.2
- Apple partner Catcher at work on new product category, could be rumored AR headset
- How to use the new Apple TV Amazon Prime Video app with Siri and the TV app
- Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV limited to 2.1 stereo sound, despite streaming 4K HDR video
- First look: Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV launches on tvOS App Store
- Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV, updated for iPhone X
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.