This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Neil talk about Neil's Siri experience on HomePod, iOS betas that formerly had AirPlay 2, and HomeKit baby cameras.
AppleInsider editors Victor Marks and Neil Hughes discuss:
- AirPlay vanishes from iOS, tvOS 11.3 betas. We talk a little about what Neil hopes for 11.3 and Victor's expectations for AirPlay 2.
- A leaked memo suggests Nokia is going to leave the Withings Health business behind. We both talk about what a loss this would be for the Apple Health consumer.
- Netgear adds HomeKit to the Arlo home camera lineup with a HomeKit compatible baby camera. This thing looks cute. Is there something creepy about getting children used to being in view of a camera from birth?
- Rumor: AirPods may get an update for 'Hey Siri' and better water resistance. Neither of us are surprised by this one.
- Loup Ventures surveys people, finds that they're largely satisfied with their smart speakers, and determines the common uses for them. This matches up with research we've seen in the past - music is far and away the biggest use.
- Spotify is probably going to make their own smart speaker. Neil asks why they would bother. We didn't mention it, but Facebook is rumored to as well. Victor thinks it makes a lot more sense for Spotify to do so, Facebook doesn't make nearly as much sense. Victor re-tells the story of how Netflix was going to launch their own TV streaming box, and at the last minute it was released as Roku, and the differences and similarities in the music streaming space.
- FaceTime video calling saves a woman's life allowing her remote caller to detect a heart attack.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- AirPlay 2 disappears from newest iOS 11.3 & tvOS 11.3 betas
- Third watchOS 4.3 developer beta available alongside iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4 public test versions
- Leaked memo suggests Nokia's health business is unhealthy
- Netgear adds HomeKit compatibility to Arlo Baby Smart HD Monitoring Camera
- Apple said to be upgrading AirPods with 'Hey Siri' & better water resistance
- Smart speaker satisfaction at 89 percent, HomePod adoption hits 3 percent, survey finds
- Spotify may be preparing HomePod competitor with entrance into hardware market
- The story of Roku, the device that was almost Netflix's own streaming TV box
- FaceTime helps save New York woman's life after stroke symptoms spotted during call
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @thisisneil.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.