This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor interviews Will Abeles, whose comedy album debuted at No. 1 on iTunes. In addition, Victor and Neil talk about Neil's HomePod review, as well as Apple's growing share of the smartphone market's revenue.
AppleInsider editors Victor Marks and Neil Hughes discuss:
- Apple reaches 51 percent of the smartphone market by revenue. This what happens when ASP goes up and Apple's customers buy in. This is part of what makes Apple customers to valuable.
- Warren Buffet shifts most of his IBM holdings into Apple holdings. He's holding essentially $27.7B of Apple stock.
- The 'other' category -- Watch, AirPods, HomePod -- are set to bring in $22B by 2019.
- Neil's HomePod review. He likes it, but with some reservations. Did Apple fail to knock it out of the park here?
- We get email! Listener feedback on HomePod from a user that's a little more frustrated than Neil.
- The HomePod silicone pad leaves rings on wood furniture, why it happens, and what to do about it.
- Consumer Reports was pretty much alone in recommending Sonos One and Google Home Max over HomePod. Mike W. addresses this, and CR issued a press release about it.
- How to use Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba to play anything to HomePod. Victor likes Paul at Rogue Amoeba. He's a very cool guy.
- Tip: How to limit HomePod so family and friends can't send texts from your account.
- Comedian Will Abeles joins Victor to talk about recording and producing his live comedy album, Regrets of My Father, for Apple's iTunes. Follow him on Twitter and Facebook.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- 'An incredible money-making machine:' Apple's iPhone captures record 51% of global smartphone revenues
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway increases Apple stake by 23.3 percent, now its largest holding
- Apple Watch, AirPods & HomePod, Apple's 'other products,' predicted to rake in $22B in revenue by 2019
- HomePod review: Your mileage may vary, but crank it up for the ride
- HomePod's silicone bottom is causing rings on some finished wood surfaces [u]
- Consumer Reports' dismissal of HomePod a familiar tale to Apple fans [u]
- How to play anything on your HomePod, including vinyl records, with Airfoil and a Mac
- How to limit HomePod access so family and friends can't send texts, create reminders, or hijack your music
- Regrets of My Father by Will Abeles on iTunes
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @thisisneil.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at email@example.com and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.