Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.11 UpdateApple has seeded the first pre-release builds of its Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger Update, asking developers to test the release across the board.
People familiar with the software say the first two builds — one for Intel-based Macs (8S2138) and another for PowerPC-based models (8S138) — sports maintenance-related enhancements to over 60 specific system components.
Among the most identifiable components are AirPort drivers, Apple Storage drivers, audio codecs, CoreAudio, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, CoreTypes, CoreVideo, Dock, FileManager, FlashPlugin, Installer, Networking, PDFKit, QuickDraw, Safari, SystemSoundServer, and WebKit.
In releasing the software to developers this week, Apple did not pinpoint enhancements to each component, but simply asked that developers test their new and existing applications thoroughly — especially those that make extensive use of the aforementioned components.
What Apple did say, according to those familiar with the software, is that Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update already includes nearly 20 individual bug fixes over the current version of Mac OS X 10.4.10. These include code corrections for CoreAudio when decoding iTunes Plus files, networking with Cisco VPN, enabling/disabling Bluetooth on Macs, and CoreAudio under Safari.
As the first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update slowly makes their way into the hands of Apple's tens of thousands of developers, the list of bug fixes is expected to grow significantly.
Word that Apple was planning to begin widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update first broke on Tuesday.
On Topic: General
- Apple's iWork for iCloud goes platform agnostic, open to everyone
- Fresh off $533M victory, Smartflash files another patent suit against Apple
- Apple's March 9 'Spring Forward' event will be streamed live from its website, Apple TV
- FCC votes to enforce net neutrality by regulating ISPs, unleashes municipal broadband
- Apple announces 'spring forward' event for March 9, likely to talk about Apple Watch & more