Monday, November 26, 2012, 11:21 am PT (02:21 pm ET)
iTunes digital cards arrive as gift option on FacebookStarting Monday, customers of Facebook Gifts can purchase iTunes digital gift cards while recommending content to friends and family on the social networking site.
iTunes digital gifts are now available through Facebook Gifts in sizes of $10, $15, $25, or $50. Customers can choose their gift, then recommend an artist or album, games, movies, apps or other content from Apple's digital storefront.
The iTunes digital gift can be used to purchase music, movies, TV shows, games, apps and any other content available from Apple's iTunes Store.
Facebook Gifts are the latest effort by the social networking site to monetize its 1 billion active monthly users. Users are invited to use Facebook Gifts to "celebrate birthdays, new jobs and other big moments."
Facebook Gifts are not yet available to all users of the site, but the feature is advertised as "coming soon." With the gifting service, users can buy an item for a friend, and that person is notified about their gift instantly through Facebook.
While Facebook Gifts are available for digital content like Apple's iTunes, it can also be used for physical items that can be delivered directly to a friend's door.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Inc's new Swift language a "huge leap forward for iOS ecosystem," offers "enormous opportunity" with IBM in enterprise
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing
- Apple's 2014 iTunes Festival in London to feature Maroon 5, Beck, Blondie, more
- Apple responds to EC complaints by touting iTunes' app controls as 'leading the industry,' cites iOS 8 "Ask To Buy" feature