Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 06:45 pm PT (09:45 pm ET)
Apple settles 'Retina' promo image suit with Swiss artistA filing with the New York District Court last week reveals that Apple settled a case out of court regarding the alleged misuse of the "Retina" eyeball used to promote the company's MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Photographer Sabine Liewald's "Eye Closeup" as seen on Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple last Wednesday settled the suit levied by Swiss photographer Sabine Liewald ahead of a court scheduled meeting slated for today, reports Cnet.
In the original complaint from October 2011, Liewald claimed that her image of an eyeball, titled "Eye Closeup," was illegally used during an Apple keynote in June. The photograph was used to show off the capabilities of the company's first high-resolution display laptop, the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.
While Apple acquired rights to use the photograph, the terms did not extend to public displays and was meant for mock-ups only. The settlement terms remain undisclosed but the Liewald was seeking damages plus lost profits from Apple's use of the image.
On Topic: General
- Apple's next-gen iOS Remote app solution could boast full Apple TV GUIs, interactive content
- Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on secret projects
- Patent holdings firm WiLAN loses second suit against Apple
- Apple opens iTunes donations for 'City of Hope' cancer charity, moves beyond natural disaster relief
- PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung