Apple releases iOS 6.1 with iTunes Match improvements, Siri movie ticket salesApple on Monday released iOS 6.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, packing a number of bug fixes and software enhancements, including the ability to purchase movie tickets through Siri.
iOS 6.1 is now available to download through the Software Update option in Settings. Apple said the update contains bug fixes, as well as the following highlighted improvements:
- LTE support for more carriers
- Purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri (USA only)
- iTunes Match subscribers can now download individual songs from iCloud
- New button to reset the Advertising identifier
Apple also uncharacteristically issued a press release Monday afternoon to announce the launch of iOS 6.1. The company touted that the latest update adds LTE capabilities to a total of 36 additional iPhone carriers, as well as 23 additional iPad carriers.
"iOS 6 is the worlds most advanced mobile operating system, and with nearly 300 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices on iOS 6 in just five months, it may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iOS 6.1 brings LTE support to more markets around the world, so even more users can enjoy ultrafast Safari browsing, FaceTime video calls, iCloud services, and iTunes and App Store downloads."
The release of iOS 6.1 comes just a few days after Apple issued one last beta to its development community. Apple did not identify that beta build as a "golden master" copy when it was provided to developers on Saturday a rare weekend release necessitated by the fact that the previous beta was set to expire on Sunday.
Apple first began testing beta builds of iOS 6.1 with developers last November. The free software update is compatible with the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad (third and fourth generation), iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPod touch (fourth and fifth generation).
On Topic: iOS
- Apple begins accepting non-iPhone trade-ins in the US, Europe
- Meerkat works around Twitter social graph, Vine gets 720P update, and Instapaper adds 'speed reading'
- Apple concept would require users to input health data to keep using their iPhone
- Yelp adds outdoor activities, florists, nightclubs & more to direct booking options
- iOS 8.3 allows users to turn off password requirement for free App Store downloads