Apple's iPad, iPhone sales skyrocket as Mac and iPod falterHelping Apple post a Street beat on Tuesday was unexpected growth for iPhone and booming iPad sales, contributing to the company's revenues which hit $43.6 billion for the second fiscal quarter of 2013.
For the March quarter, Apple reported 37.4 million iPhone, up from 35.1 million in 2012, translating to a 6.5 percent year-to-year growth rate. iPad sales jumped more than 65 percent from the same quarter last year, with 19.5 million sales driven by the introduction of the iPad mini.
We sold significantly more iPad Minis in the March quarter than the December launch quarter," said Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer. "The market suggests iPad Mini purchasers are first-time iPad customers."
While Apple's iPhone and iPad sales remained strong, the Mac dropped to 2 percent to just under 4 million units, compared to over 4 million during the same period in 2012. iPod sales also dipped 27% year-over-year to 5.6 million.
It appears that the Mac slump from the first quarter of 2013, which drooped 23 percent year-to-year, has mostly stabilized as Apple's computer hardware division saw
As for the iPod, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said the iPod touch accounted for half of all sales in the slowly declining sector. iPod sales reached 6.2 million units for the quarter.
Looking ahead, it appears Apple has much more in store for the coming months, as Cook tipped his hand in a rare forward looking hardware statement.
"This is the same culture and company that brought the world the iPhone and the iPad and we have a lot more surprises in the works."
On Topic: General
- Hillary Clinton's tech platform backs Apple Inc positions on encryption, privacy, innovation
- Sioeye iPhone-connected sports camera streams live via LTE, includes 5GB free with T-Mobile
- Apple issues fourth beta of iOS 9.3.3 as developers await iOS 10 beta 2
- Florida man sues Apple for over $10B, claiming violation of 1992 'reading device' concept
- Review: Rachio's iPhone-connected Smart Sprinkler Controller is efficient, easy to use