Thursday, July 25, 2013, 06:24 pm PT (09:24 pm ET)
Google to retire Google+ Local for iOS on August 7In an email being sent to Google Maps users, the Internet search giant announced that it will be retiring localized dining, shopping and entertainment discovery app, Google+ Local for iOS, on August 7.
According to the email, the move to retire the app is a direct result of the feature being built into the latest Google Maps for iOS, which received an overhaul earlier in July with iPad support, live traffic and indoor navigation.
The soon-to-be-deprecated Google+ Local was a standalone discovery app that, much like Yelp, allowed users to search for nearby businesses. In Google Maps, the feature has been rebranded as Explore and uses location information to make recommendations on places to eat, play, sleep and more.
Google notes that after August 7, users will no longer be able to access the Google+ Local service via the iOS app. Existing reviews, ratings and other saved assets will still be available on Google+, and will be transferred upon signing in to the Google Maps app.
On Topic: App Store
- Beats Music enables in-app subscriptions with latest update in bid for more users
- Facebook updates Paper app with notifications, photo comments, 'new story' buttons, more
- Yahoo gives Flickr complete overhaul with new design, HD video and image search
- Facebook unveils new 'Nearby Friends' geolocation meetup feature
- RunKeeper's new Breeze app goes beyond workouts to count daily steps via Apple's M7 chip in iPhone 5s