Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 11:56 am PT (02:56 pm ET)
Apple to offer iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c cases, Lightning docks at launchApple is stepping back into the iPhone accessories market with iPhone cases, leather for the iPhone 5s and silicon for the iPhone 5c, and Lightning-ready docks for both devices.
With the iPhone 5c, Apple went with a silicon form-fitting design that sports a grid of holes on the back allowing for visibility of the phone's colorful plastic shell. Inside is a microfiber liner, while precision drilled holes align with the unit's speaker.
As the iPhone 5s is positioned as a premium handset, the company chose a leather case, the inside of which has a microfiber lining to keep the device protected from scratches. According to the Online Apple Store, a dye is infused into the leather, which is custom designed to cradle the iPhone's physical buttons and chamfered edge.
The iPhone 5c cases will be available in black, white, pink, yellow, blue and green for a price of $29. As for the iPhone 5s cases, those come in at $39 and will be offered in brown, beige, black, yellow, blue and (PRODUCT) RED.
Finally, Apple is releasing two new docks, one for the 5s and another for the 5c, which bring the usual charging, syncing and line-out seen in the company's previous products. Despite the emphasis on color, the docks are only offered in white, the main change from previous version being the inclusion of a Lightning connector and retooled cradle. The new lightning docks will be available on Sept. 20 for $29.
On Topic: iPhone
- Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video
- Apple 'not likely' to ship redesigned power adapter, Lightning cable with 'iPhone 6'
- Apple's secret iPhone 6 digital payment system said to also include Visa & MasterCard
- Apple reportedly inks deal with American Express for 'iPhone 6' payment system
- Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks