Microsoft debuts Xbox One compatible 'SmartGlass' iOS app ahead of console launchMicrosoft on Tuesday released an Xbox One-compatible version of its SmartGlass companion app, bringing remote control and other interactive features to the iOS platform ahead of the gaming console's release.
Xbox One SmartGlass allows users to navigate the Xbox One menu system with touch gestures, while providing a mode of input for keyboard duties.
Along with a media remote control, which in some cases can also control set-top cable boxes thanks to the Xbox One's built-in integration feature, the iOS app can be used to browse the Web on a TV. In addition, the app displays SmartGlass companions, a type of second-screen functionality for videos and gaming content.
Away from the house, Xbox One SmartGlass lets users search for, browse and "pin" gaming content for future play. As with the Xbox 360 version of SmartGlass, the update iteration also grants access to Xbox Live for achievement tracking and messaging.
Xbox One SmartGlass is available now as a free download from the iOS App Store, while the console itself will ship on Nov. 21.
On Topic: App Store
- BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
- Google Play Music now stores 50K songs free, Apple's iTunes Match still at 25K songs for $25/year
- Tweetbot for iOS gets Twitter video and GIF support in latest update
- Google launches new YouTube Kids app on Apple's iOS
- IFTTT launches trio of new 'Do' apps alongside flagship app refresh