Google Hangouts updated with iPad and iOS 7 optimization, new video optionsGoogle on Thursday updated its all-in-one Hangouts messaging app, bringing optimizations for Apple's latest iOS 7, new features for iPad and overall usability enhancements.
With the latest Google Hangouts, the Internet search giant's messaging service hits version 2.0 and gets a fresh coat of iOS 7-style paint with all-new features designed specifically for the iPad.
Perhaps one of the most significant additions is the ability to record and share ten-second video messages with friends and groups. Both recording and viewing is accomplished in-app.
As for iPad-specific enhancements, Hangouts now supports picture-in-picture video calling, which basically turns the app into a free iOS video conferencing service.
Other improvements include sending a map of a user's current location and animated "stickers."
Google Hangouts is a free 24.2MB download for free from the iOS App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Apple Store app updated with two-step authentication, deeper Touch ID integration
- Spotify gains video, moods, and podcasts, Facebook Messenger rolls out video calls globally
- Roundup: The best third-party Apple Watch running apps
- Final Cut Pro 10.2.1 solves bugs causing crashes, Timeline problems
- Apple expands App Analytics beta to all developers