Monday, June 16, 2014, 05:36 am PT (08:36 am ET)
Apple begins allowing Bitcoin currency apps back into the App StoreAt its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple quietly revised its App Store rules to allow "approved" digital currencies, which has paved the way for Bitcoin-related apps to return.
Apple began pulling Bitcoin apps from the App Store in February, most notably the popular title "Blockchain" utilized by some 120,000 users. As it is a peer-to-peer digital, virtual currency, Bitcoin has been met with some resistance in establishing itself as an accepted form of money.
But Apple clarified its stance on virtual currencies earlier this month with revised App Store rules issued at WWDC. Under the new rules, apps that allow transmission of virtual currencies like Bitcoin must do so "in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions."
After clarifying its stance, Apple approved a new Bitcoin app on Sunday — Coin Pocket — which can now be downloaded from the Finance category of the App Store. Its availability was first noted by CoinDesk.
With the newly released app, users can send and receive Bitcoin from their iPhone or iPad. It includes Sweep Private Keys in HEX, WIF, or BIP38 format, a QR code scanner, multiple sources to Bitcoin to U.S. Dollar conersion, and export BIP38 private key for backup.
The application's description also comes with a disclaimer: "Check your state and federal laws on the transmission of Bitcoin or virtual currencies before using the send feature of this app. You are liable for the use of Bitcoin in your jurisdiction."
On Topic: App Store
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- ESPN updates SportsCenter for iOS with new football features, Secret adds interactive questions
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via text message
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets