Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 11:50 pm PT (02:50 am ET)
Apple issues iMac Graphic, MacBook Pro EFI firmware updatesApple this week issued a pair of firmware updates, resolving a flickering graphics issue in late 2008 15-inch MacBook Pro models and addressing a hanging graphics issue on iMacs.
iMac Graphic FW Update 3.0
The iMac Graphic FW update fixes a graphics issue that could cause Apple's all-in-one Mac desktop to hang "under certain conditions." The 481KB download requires OS X Lion.
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.8
The MacBook Pro firmware update is recommended for 15-inch, late 2008 models. The fix resolves a graphics issue that may cause the internal display to flicker. The file is a 1.79MB download and requires OS X 10.5.8, OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.3.
Apple has released a slew of EFI updates in recent weeks. Last month, the company issued several updates for 2010 Mac models that added support for Lion Recovery over an Internet Connection.
Other recent updates include a Wi-Fi update for the iMac and EFI firmware stability fixes for 2011 Mac models, including the MacBook Air, iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac mini.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Lowest Prices Anywhere: 11" MacBook Air for $729; loaded 13" MacBook Pro Retina for $1,650
- How to find the lowest prices on Apple's Macs this Black Friday [u]
- Best Buy's Black Friday sale knocks $150-$200 off some MacBook Pros, iMacs, & MacBook Airs
- Black Friday Exclusives: 15" MacBook Pro Retina for $1649 ($450 off), 27" iMac for $1599 ($400 off)
- Lowest Prices Ever: 15" MacBook Pro Retina for $1,749 ($250 off); 13" MacBook Air for $974