Friday, September 21, 2012, 12:35 pm PT (03:35 pm ET)
iPhone 5 thefts plague stores in London, Japan, TennesseeIn addition to paying customers anxious to get their hands on Apple's latest smartphone, the iPhone 5 launch has also attracted thieves who have stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of inventory around the world.
In London, one thief stole 252 phones before the iPhone 5 went on sale, according to the BBC. Based on an average selling price of $650, the 252 phones lifted from the O2 store would have a total value of nearly $165,000.
In addition to the handsets, cash was also taken from the carrier's store, according to police. Authorities want to speak with 23-year-old Usman Sethi of Ilford in east London about the heist.
In America, police in Murfeesboro, Tenn., say eight thieves made off with over $100,000 worth of stolen iPads and older iPhone models earlier this week, according to Nashville television station WSMV. The inventory was taken from a Best Buy store in Middle Tennessee after a stolen vehicle was rammed into a door at the loading dock. Reports from the scene say the thieves were looking to steal the new iPhone 5, however he store's stock had not yet arrived.
And in Japan, police said 191 units of the iPhone 5 were taken from three stores in Osaka, according to The Wall Street Journal. The average selling price on those handsets would be nearly $125,000.
A total of 33 iPhone 5 units were reportedly taken from a KDDI Corp. store in Ibaraki city, while another 116 were stolen from a Softbank Corp. store in the western district of Osaka city, and another nearby KDDI-owned shop had 42 iPhone 5 units lifted.
On Topic: iPhone
- Microsoft, HTC use Windows Phone's Cortana to poke fun at Apple's iPhone in new ad
- Photos purport to show 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' twice the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s
- Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video
- Apple 'not likely' to ship redesigned power adapter, Lightning cable with 'iPhone 6'
- Apple's secret iPhone 6 digital payment system said to also include Visa & MasterCard