Saturday, September 22, 2012, 09:49 am PT (12:49 pm ET)
Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from SamsungIn addition to the $1.05 billion Apple was awarded by a jury for Samsung's patent infringement, Apple has asked the court for another $707 million in damages.
The request was revealed in a filing made late Friday by Apple and summarized by intellectual property expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. With Apple's requested enhancements, supplemental damages and prejudgment interest, the company has asked the court for $1.756 billion from Samsung.
The additional $707,061,678 comes from an extra $135 million Apple seeks under the Patent Act, $400 million under the Lanham Act, $121 million in supplemental damages, and $50 million in prejudgment interest.
The filing means that a previous report out of Korea from last week, which claimed that Apple would seek an even larger sum from Samsung, was inaccurate. Mueller said that's because Apple recognizes only some parts of the $1.05 billion in damages it was awarded by a jury are subject to enhancement.
"Apple is smart enough to know that asking for the moon without a legal basis wouldn't do any good, neither in the court of law nor in the court of public opinion," Mueller wrote. "Apple is defending its intellectual property, and not just being greedy."
The iPhone maker has argued for the supplemental damages based on sales of Samsung devices between July 1 and the final resolution in court. The jury's damages were for the period through June 30, 2012.
Apple also believes that the payout should be increased because of Samsung's conduct, including sanctions that were given to the company for litigation-related conduct.
On Topic: patents
- Apple's interest in reversible USB plugs detailed in new patent application
- Apple invention helps iPhone users find their parked car despite poor cell, GPS reception
- Judge denies Apple bid to recover attorneys' fees from Samsung, releases $2.6M bond related to Galaxy Tab 10.1 ban
- Apple reimagines the mouse with force sensors, haptic feedback
- USPTO rejects claims of Apple patent asserted against Samsung in California trial