Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 01:43 pm PT (04:43 pm ET)
Final Cut Pro X gets significant update with new features & RED camera supportApple's professional video editing software Final Cut Pro X was given a sizable update on Tuesday, adding new features like the ability to expand multichannel audio files in a timeline, as well as support for RED cameras and native REDCODE RAW editing.
Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.6 is now available on the Mac App Store. The update is free for existing users, while new customers can purchase the software for $299.99.
Version 10.0.6 is a 1.53-gigabyte download that requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. It gives users the ability to precisely edit individual audio channels directly in the timeline.
A new unified import window is also included, allowing users to transfer media from both file-based cameras and folders of files. And a redesigned "Share" interface has been implemented, giving users the ability to export projects and range selections to one or more destinations.
The Final Cut Pro X update also includes RED camera support with native REDCODE Raw editing, as well as optional background transcode to Apple ProRes. Below are the full list of other features and fixes in Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6 provided by Apple:
- MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins
- Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color
- Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
- Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip
- Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips
- Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline
- Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke
- Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more
- New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip
- Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
- XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps
On Topic: Software
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.3 with holiday discount, updates Camera Raw 8.3
- New Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw release candidates fix bugs, add camera support
- Review: 1Password 4 for Mac makes managing all your passwords easy and secure
- Adobe refreshes Photoshop, Premiere Elements with two new versions