Apple tells reseller new Mac Pro coming in spring 2013An Apple Authorized Reseller in France has revealed that the company plans to release its updated Mac Pro desktop this spring, suggesting the hardware will arrive sooner rather than later.
France Systemes disclosed the details in its latest newsletter, as first discovered by French site Mac4Ever. This year, the spring season runs from March 20 to June 20.
Apple apparently disclosed the launch window for the new Mac Pro to ease concerns over the fact that the current model will no longer be available in Europe starting March 1. Sales of the Mac Pro desktop will cease in less than a month because of new regulatory requirements in Europe.
In a rare public disclosure about an upcoming product, Apple announced last June that it was planning on updating the Mac Pro in 2013. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook sent an email in which he confirmed his company was "working on something really great."
Cook's comments assuaged concerns that Apple could be planning to ax the Mac Pro from its lineup entirely. The high-end professional desktop is largely a niche product for the company, and it hasn't seen a meaningful upgrade in years.
While Apple has signaled it will update the Mac Pro this year, there's been no indication as to exactly what the company is planning to do. Some have speculated that a complete redesign of the current tower, the design of which dates back to the company's Power Mac G5.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Apple's 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display rumored to launch next week
- Rumor: 'iPhone 7' might be waterproof, feature newly designed non-metal chassis
- Apple concept describes optically-based docking mechanism with wearables in mind
- Former GM exec pans rumored 'Apple Car' sight unseen, calls it 'a gigantic money pit'
- Apple has target ship date of 2019 for electric car project, but it won't be self driving - report