Wednesday, February 06, 2013, 05:06 am PT (08:06 am ET)
Apple tells reseller new Mac Pro coming in spring 2013An Apple Authorized Reseller in France has revealed that the company plans to release its updated Mac Pro desktop this spring, suggesting the hardware will arrive sooner rather than later.
France Systemes disclosed the details in its latest newsletter, as first discovered by French site Mac4Ever. This year, the spring season runs from March 20 to June 20.
Apple apparently disclosed the launch window for the new Mac Pro to ease concerns over the fact that the current model will no longer be available in Europe starting March 1. Sales of the Mac Pro desktop will cease in less than a month because of new regulatory requirements in Europe.
In a rare public disclosure about an upcoming product, Apple announced last June that it was planning on updating the Mac Pro in 2013. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook sent an email in which he confirmed his company was "working on something really great."
Cook's comments assuaged concerns that Apple could be planning to ax the Mac Pro from its lineup entirely. The high-end professional desktop is largely a niche product for the company, and it hasn't seen a meaningful upgrade in years.
While Apple has signaled it will update the Mac Pro this year, there's been no indication as to exactly what the company is planning to do. Some have speculated that a complete redesign of the current tower, the design of which dates back to the company's Power Mac G5.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Siri integration with third-party apps expected to play key role in Apple's 'iWatch'
- Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly
- Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far
- GT says plans to supply sapphire glass to Apple are 'progressing well,' company expects profitable 2H of 2014
- Google rumored to debut 'Nexus' smart watch with new operating system in June