Friday, July 05, 2013, 02:41 pm PT (05:41 pm ET)
Instagram update brings landscape image capture support, Cinema for front-facing cameraInstagram on Friday rolled out an update bringing two feature additions and various bug fixes, including support for photo and video taking while an iPhone is in landscape view.
While not a major version change, Instagram 4.0.2 now rotates the viewfinder when a user switches to landscape mode, a feature that has been absent since the app was first released in 2010.
The added support works with both photos and the newly released video function, which lets users share 15-second clips through the service.
Those using the video feature, dubbed "Cinema," can now capture clips with the front-facing camera. The app's software-based image stabilization is also applied to videos taken with the FaceTime lenser.
Finally, the latest version includes various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Instagram is available as a free 14.5MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera
- European Commission chides Apple for not improving game in-app purchase policies
- First look: Using Passbook at an Apple Store to buy iTunes & App Store credit
- Google Analytics gets dedicated iOS app, Facebook adds celebrity-focused Mentions app