Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launchDevelopers testing Apple's new iOS 7 mobile operating system were supplied with the golden master, or presumed final build, of the software on Tuesday after the company revealed its new iPhone lineup.
The iOS 7 golden master update can be obtained through Apple's online developer portal. People familiar with the software said it is identified as "Build 11A465."
The release of the iOS 7 GM means that developers will have a little over a week to test their applications before the software is made available to the masses. Apple announced earlier Tuesday that iOS 7 will be made available to the public on Wednesday, Sept. 18.
iOS 7 will launch just two days before Apple's latest smartphones the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c go on sale. Both of those devices will ship with iOS 7 preinstalled.
For current iOS device users, iOS 7 will become available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4; the fourth- and third-generation iPad, iPad 2, and iPad mini, as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch. It will be a free download.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple not guilty of patent infringement with Siri, Chinese court says
- Apple under fire once again for inconsistent App Store rule enforcement
- Researchers leverage SSL bug to crash Apple devices over Wi-Fi in 'No iOS Zone' attack
- Apple's Safari claims 55% of US mobile browser usage, 10.5% desktop share
- Apple job listing confirms plans to bring public transit info to its Maps service