Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 12:25 pm PT (03:25 pm ET)
Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launchDevelopers testing Apple's new iOS 7 mobile operating system were supplied with the golden master, or presumed final build, of the software on Tuesday after the company revealed its new iPhone lineup.
The iOS 7 golden master update can be obtained through Apple's online developer portal. People familiar with the software said it is identified as "Build 11A465."
The release of the iOS 7 GM means that developers will have a little over a week to test their applications before the software is made available to the masses. Apple announced earlier Tuesday that iOS 7 will be made available to the public on Wednesday, Sept. 18.
iOS 7 will launch just two days before Apple's latest smartphones the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c go on sale. Both of those devices will ship with iOS 7 preinstalled.
For current iOS device users, iOS 7 will become available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4; the fourth- and third-generation iPad, iPad 2, and iPad mini, as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch. It will be a free download.
On Topic: iOS
- Facebook introduces anonymous chat app 'Rooms'
- After gaining U.S. government approval, Samsung Knox security for Android found to be "completely compromised"
- iHeartRadio & Rdio are latest iOS apps to add support for Apple's CarPlay
- Apple expands TestFlight iOS app beta invitations to 1,000 users
- Apple planning to bring Apple Pay support to iAd with new buy buttons - report