Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 11:44 am PT (02:44 pm ET)
Google Maps for iOS update speeds access to navigation, adds new languagesGoogle on Tuesday pushed an update to their iOS maps application that tweaks the user interface when selecting a route for navigation, adds support for additional languages, and provides a new "Tips and Tricks" help section.
Google Maps's previous route selection screen on an iPhone 4, left, and the updated screen featuring a new "mini map" on an iPhone 5, right
The update adds a useful "mini map" to the route selection screen that displays an overview of the route and current traffic conditions. The smaller, in-line map allows users to quickly compare the suggested routes before entering the full-screen navigation mode, which remains unchanged.
Google also integrated a "Tips and Tricks" help section into the app's sidebar which links to Google's online knowledge base and provides novice Google Maps users with step-by-step directions for actions like searching for locations, customizing their map view, and using Google's turn-by-turn navigation.
The Mountain View company also says in the update's release notes that the new version brings enhanced support for the Arabic and Hebrew languages — including voice commands and prompts — and "bug fixes."
The popular mapping and navigation app's last binary update brought Google+ integration in August of this year, and a few days later the company began including crowdsourced traffic information from newly-acquired Waze in the app.
The update can be downloaded now from the App Store.
On Topic: Google
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets
- While 91% of Apple users run iOS 7, five different versions of Android hold 10%+ share
- Lawsuit claims Steve Jobs, senior Apple directors hurt company with anti-poaching row
- Apple's iOS, Google's Android grow to 96.4% of smartphone market as competitors shrink, IDC says
- Surveillance leak shows spyware loves Android, but can't infect Apple's iPhones without jailbreak