Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999Apple took the wraps off the last unannounced details on its upcoming Mac Pro desktop, namely price and release date, with the professional-grade machine set to debut in December with a starting price of $2,999.
The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the previous Mac Pro. It features Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics.
It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity. Thunderbolt connectivity offers 20Gb/s throughput.
The new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support.
A new integrated motion controller also illuminates the input-output on the back when the device is moved.
A revamped version of Final Cut Pro X has also been developed by Apple, designed to take advantage of the horsepower of the new Mac Pro. As part of Tuesday's presentation, quotes from audio and video professionals praising the device were shared after they had time to sample the hardware pre-release.
The base model of Apple's next-generation desktop features a 3.7-gigzhertz Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12 gigabytes of RAM, dual FirePro D300 GPUs with 2 gigabytes of video RAM each, and a 256 gigabyte solid state drive.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products
- Apple offers free repairs for 2013 Mac Pros with defective video cards
- Leaked sample of Intel's Broadwell-EP Xeon E5 chip may hint at Mac Pro specs
- Potential reference to new Mac Pro found in OS X El Capitan code
- Lowest Prices Ever: Save $100s on all Mac Pros, each with Free AppleCare and Free Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic Mouse; Apple Thunderbolt Displays for $750