Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 10:40 am PT (01:40 pm ET)
Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999Apple took the wraps off the last unannounced details on its upcoming Mac Pro desktop, namely price and release date, with the professional-grade machine set to debut in December with a starting price of $2,999.
The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the previous Mac Pro. It features Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics.
It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity. Thunderbolt connectivity offers 20Gb/s throughput.
The new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support.
A new integrated motion controller also illuminates the input-output on the back when the device is moved.
A revamped version of Final Cut Pro X has also been developed by Apple, designed to take advantage of the horsepower of the new Mac Pro. As part of Tuesday's presentation, quotes from audio and video professionals praising the device were shared after they had time to sample the hardware pre-release.
The base model of Apple's next-generation desktop features a 3.7-gigzhertz Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12 gigabytes of RAM, dual FirePro D300 GPUs with 2 gigabytes of video RAM each, and a 256 gigabyte solid state drive.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- Apple releases Mac Pro firmware update to address Power Nap fan control, USB device recognition issues
- Review: Corning's Thunderbolt Optical Cable
- Mac Pro ship times slip to April as demand continues to outstrip supply
- New Mac Pros support AMD's CrossFire GPU teaming, but currently only within Windows
- Apple says turning off Bluetooth may improve AirPlay Mirroring on latest Macs