Google reportedly working on Chrome apps toolkit for iOS portsAs part of its initiative to bring based Chrome packaged desktop apps to mobile, Google is reportedly preparing a beta release of a toolkit that will help developers create native apps for mobile platforms like Apple's iOS.
Google's Chrome OS.
Evidence of the beta was discovered by The Next Web in a GitHub repository called "Mobile Chrome Apps," which is being headed up by Google software developer Michal Mocny.
According to the project's description, Mobile Chrome Apps is a toolkit for porting Chrome Packaged Apps to Android and iOS hybrid web applications using Apache Cordova. Other operating systems are also mentioned, including Apple's OS X and Microsoft's Windows.
From the summary:
- You're excited about Chrome Packaged App for Windows, OSX, Linux, and ChromeOS. Sweet!
- You've discovered this toolkit for creating Android & iOS hybrid native apps with chrome app polyfills.
- Follow our Guide (below) to Import your existing chrome app (or start fresh).
(modify for mobile design, fix bugs, work-around limitations, and test)
- Publish to the Android Play Store or iOS App Store.
The Getting Started page, along with other introduction assets, notes various steps must be taken to produce adequate apps, such as as mobile design tweaks, bug fixes and platform testing. Currently, iOS support is "TBA," but The Next Web reports work has already started toward the development of these so-called "hybrid" apps.
Google offered no comment on the matter, but a source said the tools are nearing their final stages of development and an official announcement should be coming early next year.
On Topic: Google
- Google Wallet adds Touch ID support, Amazon brings Goodreads to Kindle for iOS
- Google's 'Physical Web' answer to Apple's iBeacons gets first hardware partner
- Apple's blockbuster winter quarter boosted by cheap oil, dinged by strong dollar
- Google's new Web series 'Route 85' aims to help developers make iOS apps using Google SDKs
- Ford drops Microsoft's Windows Embedded, enabling support for Apple's CarPlay, Android Auto