Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in FebruaryApple quickly sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro inventory when preorders began on Thursday, as new orders are now scheduled to ship in February.
When Apple's all-new professional-grade desktop first went on sale early Thursday, default configurations of the Mac Pro were advertised as available to ship by Dec. 30. That quickly slipped, however, and as of later in the morning, new orders are now listed as available to ship in February, with no specific date provided.
The newly advertised shipping date suggests Apple has already sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro machines. The February ship date applies to both the quad-core model starting at $2,999, and the 6-core version at $3,999.
One reason for limited availability could be that the new Mac Pro is being manufactured entirely in the U.S. Apple's efforts are unique for a modern electronics company, as most current gadgets are assembled in factories in the Far East.
Despite the delays and limited stock, Apple technically met its self-imposed December deadline for launching the new Mac Pro. However, it would seem that most who are interested in the machine will not in fact receive their order until well into 2014.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Exclusive Deals: 14 Macs at their lowest prices anywhere (up to $150 off MacBook Airs, $300 off MacBook Pros & $200 off iMacs)
- Last Call: Free Apple SuperDrive and the lowest prices anywhere on MacBook + AppleCare bundles (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Exclusive: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Black Friday at MacMall kicks off with up to $300 off Retina MacBook Pros, $200 off Retina iMac, up to $600 off Mac Pros