Photos: Customers line up for long-awaited China Mobile launch of Apple's iPhoneThousands of Chinese consumers descended on China Mobile stores across the Middle Kingdom Friday as the iPhone made its official debut on the world's largest wireless carrier.
Friday's launch marked the culmination of years of stop-and-start negotiations between Apple and China Mobile, the last of China's three state-owned wireless telecommunications companies to gain access to Cupertino's handset. Joining the crowds to celebrate the occasion in Beijing were Apple CEO Tim Cook and China Mobile chairman Xi Guohua — the duo autographed ten handsets given to contest winners from across the nation.
Neither company has commented thus far on first-day sales, though they are expected to be brisk. China Mobile is said to have received "millions" of iPhone pre-orders following the partnership's announcement.
The photos below were collated by Singapore-based Flickr user jnaina and first spotted by Fortune's Philip Elmer-Dewitt.
On Topic: iPhone
- Vudu and Telegram iOS apps update with new 3D Touch options, more
- Porsche to bring Apple's CarPlay to 718 Cayman series
- Philips releases Hue 'Gen 2' app with Routines, Rooms & other improvements
- Samsung reports Q1 mobile profits just 24% of Apple's
- Google updates Maps for iOS with Travel Times widget, Philips teases new Hue control app