Consolidation occurs in App Store analytics ecosystem as App Annie buys DistimoMobile analytics firm App Annie on Wednesday announced that it acquired smaller competitor Distimo in a transaction that the company says will help develop "the most advanced platform for analyzing the mobile app ecosystem."
App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
"Having been a part of the mobile app ecosystem since its inception, this acquisition represents a major milestone in App Annie's growth, and it allows us to accelerate our product roadmap," App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt said in a release. "We look forward to integrating the talented Distimo team and are excited about what they can achieve within the App Annie fold."
Together, App Annie and Distimo are used in some 600,000 apps and have more than 270,000 registered business users. The combined company will have 240 employees around the world, and much of the Distimo team will continue to operate from their Netherlands headquarters.
"It made complete sense for us to join the team at App Annie," added Distimo CEO Vincent Hoogsteder. "We share the same vision to inform everyone in the app industry with the best data and analytics platform, and we're excited about what we can achieve together and the road ahead."
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but App Annie did say that it was consummated using a combination of cash and equity. The company also announced the conclusion of a new $17 million funding round, though it is unclear how much of that cash was used for the acquisition.
On Topic: App Store
- Federal appeals court declines to stay Smartflash case against Apple
- Yahoo debuts Livetext silent video messaging app
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple's record Q3, 'Apple Car' news, Back to School promo & more
- App Store puts 100 iOS titles on sale for 99 cents, YouTube app updated with 'vertical video' support
- Apple celebrates 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act with App Store collection