Monday, June 23, 2014, 06:26 pm PT (09:26 pm ET)
Apple suppliers to start production two larger 'iPhone 6' models in July, both may see Sept. launchFollowing rumors of a massive Foxconn hiring spree, Bloomberg on Monday reported Apple's suppliers are slated to start production of two larger screen iPhones next month ahead of a possible concurrent September release.
Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Bloomberg reports mass production of Apple's much-rumored next-generation iPhone models will begin sometime in July, with a 4.7-inch version scheduled to hit market "around September." A larger 5.5-inch model, previously rumored to be a month delayed, may be available at the same time.
What to expect:
'iPhone 6' rumors
- Larger screen, thinner design
- Two new sizes: 4.7" & 5.5"
- Faster next-gen 'A8' CPU
- Fall 2014 launch
➤ Learn more
As the publication's sources described it, the next-generation iPhone will be "rounder and thinner" than current models, a design consistent with mockups and supposed parts leaks that have been circulating for weeks.
With the forthcoming iPhone refresh, Apple is thought to be moving toward a more cohesive iOS device design language first seen in the iPad mini and subsequently the iPad Air. Hallmarks of the new look include deeply rounded edges that lend a softer appearance to the hardware, a departure from the current iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s handsets.
Finally, Bloomberg makes mention of Apple research into curved glass screens and advanced sensors that can detect variable levels of pressure. The display technology, dubbed "2.5-dimension glass," allows manufacturers to taper smartphone screens to meet the surrounding metal bezel, making for a higher level of fit and finish. It is unclear if the tech will be included in either iPhone 6 model.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple reportedly in talks with Nordstrom over mobile payment partnership
- Leak reveals Sony's next iPhone-connected camera lens will feature swappable E-Mount, pop-up flash
- Microsoft, HTC use Windows Phone's Cortana to poke fun at Apple's iPhone in new ad
- Photos purport to show 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' twice the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s
- Rear shell for 5.5" 'iPhone 6' allegedly shown, measured in new video