Apple expands Maps Flyover support to 9 new locations including Venice, ItalyAs part of Apple's continued effort to build out its in-house mapping service, the company recently added nine new cities, including Venice, Italy, to the list of locations sporting 3D Flyover support.
The latest Maps Flyover additions were announced through Apple's iOS 8 feature availability webpage and include a number of medium- to large-sized cities across Europe and North America.
Apple's updated Flyover coverage includes the following locales:
- Baton Rouge, La.
- Boise, Idaho
- Cáceres, Spain
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Ponce, Puerto Rico
- Linz, Austria
- Rennes, France
- Venice, Italy
First introduced as part of iOS 6 in 2012, Flyover is touted by Apple as a tentpole feature that sets Apple Maps apart from competitors like Google Maps. The service incorporates high-resolution images with wireframe models to provide interactive three-dimensional composites of cities, landmarks and points of interest.
The latest Flyover updates are being pushed out to Apple Maps servers now, meaning 3D assets may not be immediately available to all users.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple releases animated emoji sticker packs for iOS 10 Messages
- Apple Maps to gain Japan transit data in iOS 10
- Apple Pay promotion offers discounts, rewards on select in-app purchases
- Apple counsel attacks Spotify complaints as 'rumors and half-truths'
- Video: See how widgets in iOS 10 offer quick access to app data