Apple expands Maps Flyover support to 9 new locations including Venice, ItalyAs part of Apple's continued effort to build out its in-house mapping service, the company recently added nine new cities, including Venice, Italy, to the list of locations sporting 3D Flyover support.
The latest Maps Flyover additions were announced through Apple's iOS 8 feature availability webpage and include a number of medium- to large-sized cities across Europe and North America.
Apple's updated Flyover coverage includes the following locales:
- Baton Rouge, La.
- Boise, Idaho
- Cáceres, Spain
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Ponce, Puerto Rico
- Linz, Austria
- Rennes, France
- Venice, Italy
First introduced as part of iOS 6 in 2012, Flyover is touted by Apple as a tentpole feature that sets Apple Maps apart from competitors like Google Maps. The service incorporates high-resolution images with wireframe models to provide interactive three-dimensional composites of cities, landmarks and points of interest.
The latest Flyover updates are being pushed out to Apple Maps servers now, meaning 3D assets may not be immediately available to all users.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple issues iOS 9.3.5 update, patching serious security issues discovered just 10 days ago
- Apple to take on Snapchat, Facebook in 2017 with new iPhone video editing app - report
- Apple suggests five new professional emoji be added to Unicode Standard
- Siri's voice to benefit from machine learning improvements in Apple's iOS 10
- Retailers, payments association side with Australian banks over Apple Pay negotiations