Apple expands Maps Flyover support to 9 new locations including Venice, ItalyAs part of Apple's continued effort to build out its in-house mapping service, the company recently added nine new cities, including Venice, Italy, to the list of locations sporting 3D Flyover support.
The latest Maps Flyover additions were announced through Apple's iOS 8 feature availability webpage and include a number of medium- to large-sized cities across Europe and North America.
Apple's updated Flyover coverage includes the following locales:
- Baton Rouge, La.
- Boise, Idaho
- Cáceres, Spain
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Ponce, Puerto Rico
- Linz, Austria
- Rennes, France
- Venice, Italy
First introduced as part of iOS 6 in 2012, Flyover is touted by Apple as a tentpole feature that sets Apple Maps apart from competitors like Google Maps. The service incorporates high-resolution images with wireframe models to provide interactive three-dimensional composites of cities, landmarks and points of interest.
The latest Flyover updates are being pushed out to Apple Maps servers now, meaning 3D assets may not be immediately available to all users.
On Topic: iOS
- Twitter for iOS gets 'Peek and Pop' 3D Touch gesture support, Google adds AMP integration
- Samsung to bring web-based 'SamsungPay Mini' to iPhones - report
- Apple eyes Apple Pay expansion into Asia and Europe, looks to roll out in 'every significant market'
- Hyundai adds Apple CarPlay support to six models, report says
- Apple brings iOS 9 Spotlight Suggestions to 7 more markets, adds NBC to Apple TV's universal search