Apple Watch Sport owners report unexpected rear logo damage, other text scratching offSome Apple Watch owners are experiencing problems with the Apple logo disappearing off the back of their devices, and/or scratching around the surrounding text, according to complaints posted online.
Via Apple Support Communites user dougie70w
Issues have been ongoing for at least a few months, various posts on Reddit show. In most examples, only the logo has been affected. A Wednesday post on Apple's support forums, though, suggested similar trouble with the rest of the text as well.
One person who spoke with Apple support, contacted by AppleInsider, said they were given a call back by someone at the company, and promised a free replacement Watch so that engineers could study the problem. The Apple representative asked about local climate, activity levels, and whether the device was immersed in water, but suggested that other people have reported the problem, and only with the space gray Sport.
Many if not all of the damaged units appear to be space gray Sport models, implying that the problem is with the way text is printed on those devices. Stainless steel Watches have their text engraved instead of printed.
Via Reddit user eternitydia
Apple marketing has placed a strong emphasis on the luxury and craftsmanship of the Watch, which has led to more attention to potential defects. The Sport is Apple's cheapest model, but still starts at $349 and uses things like tougher 7000-Series aluminum and reinforced "Ion-X" glass.
On Topic: Apple Watch
- Apple's health hires geared towards sharing, interpreting data, including new Watch apps
- Review: Apple Watch Series 2 is a great improvement, but watchOS 3 steals the show
- Hermes Edition Apple Watch launches; iPhone 7, Apple Watch arrive in more countries
- Supposedly leaked ad showcases Apple Watch Series 2 Hermes edition
- Apple sees leading share of US & European smartwatch markets slip ahead of Apple Watch Series 2