watchOS 2.2 features new quick links for Apple Maps in Glances viewThe Apple Maps Glance for Apple Watch has been reimagined with watchOS 2.2, providing users with quick links to directions to their home, work, nearby locations, and more.
Previously, the Maps glance in watchOS just showed a small map with the user's current location. That's changed in the first beta of watchOS 2.2, however, as the Apple Maps glance now presents four quick options for directions:
The first two options will automatically present users with directions from their current location to home or work, depending on what is entered in their "Me" card on iPhone. If no address information has been entered, the Apple Watch informs the user that they must complete the "Me" card.
Tapping "Search" from the Apple Maps glance offers the options "Dictation" and "Favorites," as well as a list of recently searched locations.
Finally, the "Nearby" selection presents users with a number of options based on categories. In the first beta of watchOS 2.2, those are:
From there, each category offers a number of subcategories. For example, under "Food," the options are "Popular," "Restaurants," "Groceries," "Fast Food," Coffee," "Bakeries," and "Desserts." From there, selecting a subcategory presents a list of local options along with user star ratings for each.
watchOS 2.2 is currently in a pre-release beta, available only to developers for testing.
On Topic: Apple Watch
- Rumor: Second-gen Apple Watch to feature new, thinner 'One Glass Solution' touchscreen
- Supply chain expects 2nd-gen Apple Watch in September or October
- Apple's limited edition Olympic Apple Watch straps feature national flag motifs, only available in Rio
- Square Enix to release exclusive Apple Watch game Cosmos Rings this summer
- Apple Watch falls to 47 percent marketshare, but retains lead among smartwatches