Harman's JBL Legend CP100 CarPlay receiver to launch Feb. 14 for $400A month after Harman debuted its JBL Legend CP100 aftermarket receiver with CarPlay support, the company on Thursday opened preorders for the $400 device ahead of a Feb. 14 ship date.
Announced at CES in January, the CP100 is Harman's first in-car product to boast CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. A CES Innovation Award honoree, the unit received praise for offering a solid feature set at a relatively low price point, something few aftermarket audio manufacturers have been able to achieve.
JBL's CP100 is designed to replace an existing 2-DIN infotainment system, swapping out physical knobs and dials for a 6.75-inch capacitive touchscreen with full support for Apple's iOS-inspired user interface. Google's Android Auto GUI is also integrated out-of-the-box. A panel of three buttons to the left of the screen control power, volume and, in CarPlay's case, invokes Siri.
Like other CarPlay receivers, the CP100 routes data from a host iPhone to a car's existing entertainment backend for phone calls, message dictation, navigation functions including turn-by-turn directions, music playback, local search and more. In addition, a built-in steering wheel interface lets users take advantage of existing OEM controls.
Along with Bluetooth connectivity and the aforementioned steering wheel interface, JBL includes a rear camera input for vehicles so equipped.
At $400, the CP100 comes with a microphone, wiring harness and quick start guide in the box and is up for preorder on JBL's website. The first units are expected to go out on Feb. 14.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple issues iOS 9.3.5 update, patching serious security issues discovered just 10 days ago
- Apple to take on Snapchat, Facebook in 2017 with new iPhone video editing app - report
- Apple suggests five new professional emoji be added to Unicode Standard
- Siri's voice to benefit from machine learning improvements in Apple's iOS 10
- Retailers, payments association side with Australian banks over Apple Pay negotiations